Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

minor league question about filling rosters

This what I'm doing. Also some questions at the end.

At start of spring training I delete all players with red arrows and 1/2 star.

Anyone with a full star or more I demote.

My good players, i.e. 2.5 or more starts I disable AI promotion and usually leave them in that league for at least a year.

I then fill leagues with fictional players from league settings. This doesn't take effect until the season starts?

Should I also "run computer manager on all teams" at this point?

Does the "fill league with fictional players" add what I need to the roster, i.e. pitchers if the team needs them etc.?
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

I ignore the arrows. They mean nothing to me. Same with the stars.

My experience with the computer manager has been horribly bad. It more often than not will cut EVERY player from a roster, whether or not they are good. Therefore I leave myself in charge of that.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda234 View Post
This what I'm doing. Also some questions at the end.

At start of spring training I delete all players with red arrows and 1/2 star.

Anyone with a full star or more I demote.

My good players, i.e. 2.5 or more starts I disable AI promotion and usually leave them in that league for at least a year.

I then fill leagues with fictional players from league settings. This doesn't take effect until the season starts?

Should I also "run computer manager on all teams" at this point?

Does the "fill league with fictional players" add what I need to the roster, i.e. pitchers if the team needs them etc.?
Why are you deleting the player?
On your team or in the whole league?
When you Fill League with players are you selecting the ML only or are you going though each minor league and fill them one at a time too?
You can run Computer managers, is this the beginning or end of ST?

I think if you are deleting players like this league wide you are going to break talent generation, distribution, some development and probably player creation for the draft. I am not 100% I am right but I am willing to bet there is no case study for this in Beta or development.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

I was deleting players because I thought I read somewhere on the forums someone doing that. Only players with 1/2 star who are slated for demotion so are more or less finished being productive.

I delete players from the minor leagues, i.e. AA or A+.

I don't see an option to fill league with players for anything other than "fill teams with fictional players". But when I run that it does't seem to fill all the teams, thus my question. There isn't a lot of documentation so I've tried filling at different times. I just tried and I'm about to start ST but it didn't fill the minor league rosters.

I haven't really tried the computer manager as I'm not sure what it does or how it will affect my teams.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

league settings -- "Fill" function(s). Fill selected league [sic] is what you want to look for.. if not visible, look in "available action" drop down.

make sure the correct league is selected in the dropdown, or you are just 'filling' your mlb level.

don't delete players as you are doing now. you will create holes in your mil teams. if you don't want players hanging around in your lower rungs at elevated ages or service time, make a rule for that league.

make sure to not create a bottleneck. e.g. if you have "35" rounds and the team with most rookie teams is "4" you better allow ~4 years by rules at rookie level or you are guaranteeing you run low in perpetuity.

in that example you might get away with 3 years allowed (which is "2" in the rules for service time). that's 105players between 4 teams in 4 years plus discoveries and IAFA additions might be enough... might not. you'd want to zoom out and see if anyone runs low (the largest # of rookie teams in one org is only place to look).

anyway, with rules they'll be promoted or released at that time. at no time do you need to delete or do anything to players. there's an option to delete those that do not make the MLB, if you want. also, deleting does not make the game faster except for ?maybe? the initial load time of a league. it will absolutely not affect resources beyond that. disk space is very unlikely a problem, but if so, you'd save minimal space compared to keeping the generated news/emails/boxscores/wpa graphs etc. lots of options to minimize that stuff if you want. again, no speed improvements beyond initial load of a league. don't do for that reason.

in fact, when you delete a player you aren't really deleting anything. he still exists in dB, but not in your league. all the info is there with a flag that denotes he's "deleted" or something similar to that idea. you'd have to do a "purge" of the DB... don't bother. this will screw up player links from old history and records etc.. e.g. your Retired #'s would say teh right name but if you click, it will be a different player. (playerIDs shuffle/consolidate during purge)

as far as promoting/demoting -- this would be based on a modern league with 1.000 pcm's etc... historic era and related settings affects what gets spit out of draft.

age* -- sometimes matters, sometimes does not. i'd focus on development of ratings > statistical results. if they are developing and totally bombing, that's okay and inevitable for some. if he's bombing and stagnating and young, then i think of demoting. otherwise i keep them where their ratings dictate. (more accurate at AA than R. i am ignoring inaccuracy. you deal with that with common sense as you do now -- that's where stats are used... when in doubt.)

batting:
SA - ~30+ contact

A - ~35ish contact

AA - ~40+ish contact

AAA - ~50+ contact

other batting ratings --

power doesn't develop early and may not until 24ish. don't do anything based on that.

eye -- should keep up.. often lags behind contact. apply common sense. if their ceiling is ~40, you can't expect it to move much anyway. i would never allow "eye" to determine mil level. maybe if they were getting murdered at plate and no develpment, but long before that became clear i would have done so due to those other reasons first.

Pitching is more complicated. you have to consider the other 2 major ratings. 1 of them can lag quite a bit and still be successful. stuff will be the main rail, but the others will have comments in some places. if any 1 is significantly elevated compared to the other 2, they can sometimes be successful at the next level.

SP vs RP -- figure RP can get away with a little less overall, but likely have higher stuff at any particular level to make up for this.

SP -- 3 pitches becomes more important around AA and definitely by AAA. you can get away with 2pitch SP R-Aball with excellent and consistent results. at AA/AAA with 2pitches they will be extremely volatile. that includes a "3 pitch" guy with 1 pitch severely lagging and not developing. most SP drafted are really RP one way or another.

promotions:

SA - 30's stuff, 40'smove, 21+ control -- control can be lower, but better have higher in the other 2... an 18 year old @21 control and a 21 @21control are two different animals. if promoting 18/19 to SA, check back at next scouting report. be forgiving.. only a total bomb and no developement should spur a demotion.

A - ~40+'s stuff, ~50 move, ~35 control

AA - ~50stuff 60 move 40+ control

AAA ~50+ stuff 60 move 50 control. -- not much different. mainly they wil be "filled out" players in AAA. nothing too far behind and likely something is elevated beyond what is listed here for anyone with higher potential. e.g. 20's control is very very unlikely to ever cut it in AAA (i've seen an RP do it 1 time, i think. extremely high stuff/movement, still had a high bb/9, but wasn't as high as you'd expect it to be)

using stats: way more dependent on using stats than batting to verify things. still allow ratings and development to dictate. bb/9 and whip are the two main things i focus on. must know ~baseline of each MiL to read them properly. if one is usually high.. extremely high... i will think about a demotion.. but only if no development is taking place AND very bad stats. (less forgiving with younger player)

stuff can never lag much behind at any particular level. if the other 2 lag, typically something else has to be elevated to make up for it and they can be successful at next level in spite of any defecciencies.

e.g. 20 stuff 70move 20 control may not fair well at SA, especially if 18 vs ~21.

age is a big deal for some. don't be afriad to dip the toe with a yougner player at a higher level. 1 month or so and check back at next scouting report. players don't always succeed in results. don't expect them to. you should expect them to develop. ratings stagnating for 1year or more is a really bad sign, especially at 21-22+. by 26 you should trade or adjust expectations of future role, if possible, or if you have an embarrassment of riches, roll the dice on some miracle late development. by 28 it's 100% done, i think (excludes TCR)

if you let development dictate over stats, you will more often get guys to the MLB with fewer MiL years. nothing but good things from that. also, more likely to get that rare 19-20 year old future HoF that can be on your team for 15 years at a high level.... locking a spot down for that long has benefits beyond the on-field production they provide. signing their extension at a younger age keeps cost down a slight amount too.

appendix -- figured i'd give rough age estimates for each leageu -- these are not well mapped out and only guesses. it's some combination of 2 factors -- age and years of experience.

SA -20 and college, not high school draftees, if freshly drafted. 1 year of exp 20 is likely fine and even ~19 will be okay with 1 year of experience.

A - 21-22?

AA -- ~22-23?

AAA ~22-23

1 year off at AAA is less of a deal than an 18 yo at SA as far as chances of seeing really bad results and coinciding with no development.

a IAFA you moved over at 17 is likely to sneak under these numbers because of years of experience he'll have.

college draftees with good current ratings can do fine in A-ball straight from draft. AA+ ability and i'd start them out 1 level below where their ratings dictate and see what happens. a quick promotion 1 month later is often the outcome. only if it looks universally bad would i leave them there.

~.200 BA isn't that bad. ~.100 or less is really bad. large grey area. again, improving ratings (dev) is the only thing we care about occurring. a bad year in the minors is a nothing burger.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-30-2018 at 05:47 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful. I'm out of town for a week but am looking forward to building my minor league teams when I get back. I am beginning to understand why I am 2nd to last in minor league development lol.

This will also give me a reason to start a new game and get out of that $120m contract with a player that is not playing anymore!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:54 AM   #7
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Good luck
Old 12-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

how high you are on that particular report is more about quantity of talent in your mil system -- even if handling it poorly.

what i mention above wil help with handling. the only way to increase your 'ranking' on that report is to acquire more talent through draft and IAFA. if you recently traded or simply had a few bad drafts there's not much you can do about it. if you are constantly at bottom of that list, it may or may not be a bad omen.

having talent where you need it is very functional but may not represent well on that report. if you have suitable replacement(s) and that gives you budget space for FA replacements elsewhere for a net increase in talent, that's all that matters. whether i am ranked 30th or 1st, i'm not worried if i am mining enough talent for my team (one way or another -- includes trades and FA and money concerns)

as with other arbitrary things, i do like to see #1 or a consistently successful MiL system, but i don't lose perspective. they bring out a sense of pride, but mostly useless in function/return. slightly better morale and those small effects are about it. 99% of those players will never even play in MLB. (not far off, even though made up)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote