Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Technical Support

FHM 4 - Technical Support Need help or want to report a bug? This is the right place.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
zandre
Bat Boy

Overtime crash

A crash that I seem to see quite frequently is an overtime game where a goal is scored before the shootout, in sudden death. When I go to finish the sim to get to the End Game button, down she goes.\
zandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
LetsGoPreds
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This has happened to me with some frequency too. Very frustrating during the playoffs.
LetsGoPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:13 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, we're investigating the cause. Something's definitely not right there; we did fix an issue earlier with shootout crashes, but this appears to be something separate.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:08 AM   #4
LetsGoPreds
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just had this happen in a Game 7, luckily I had turned on the debug trace in anticipation. I've attached a zip of it. I'll zip up the save in case you want that uploaded too.

Edit: I uploaded the save to you as "Nashville Crash 2 OT."
Attached Files
File Type: zip fhm_trace.zip (3.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by LetsGoPreds; 10-24-2017 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Uploaded crash save file
Old 10-24-2017, 02:59 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Thanks, I don't see anything obvious in the trace file, but a save from right before it occurred may narrow down the possible causes quite a bit.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:32 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

We're having trouble replicating this, even when starting from that save file. If anyone gets this crash, it'd be useful for us to know a few particulars about how you're watching the game that might help us narrow down the potential causes:

-any changes to the game options (play by play speed, etc.) from the defaults
-how you're advancing the play: by using the play button, sim end, or sim period end
-whether you noticed any injuries in the game prior to the crash
-which team won the game, yours or their oppponent, and whether they were home or the visitor
Old 10-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
zandre
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
We're having trouble replicating this, even when starting from that save file. If anyone gets this crash, it'd be useful for us to know a few particulars about how you're watching the game that might help us narrow down the potential causes:

-how you're advancing the play: by using the play button, sim end, or sim period end
-which team won the game, yours or their oppponent, and whether they were home or the visitor

1. No changes from defaults.
2. Sim Period End Button.
3. Will keep an eye out for injuries- not something I've noticed thus far.
4. Happens in all of the above scenarios. Seems slightly more frequent when the opposition wins the game.

A work around that I started using which has been adequate to get the result has been to use Sim End at the start of OT instead of Sim Period End. 100% effective thus far.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
LetsGoPreds
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post

1. Fast play-by-play speed, fast clock speed. These boxes are checked: Game Stoppages, Break Goals, Show Puck Location.
2. This usually happens when I'm using the Sim Period End button, but sometimes it also happens when I use Play.
3. It's happened frequently enough that I can't recall whether there were injuries in any of the games where I've encountered this issue.
4. It's happened both when I win and when my opponent wins - not sure about home/away.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

Sim Period end is starting to look like a suspect at this point. Sebastian's made some changes to that and some other OT-releated things in a test build, we'll be doing some testing to see if we can get it to crash now (although it's already tough to replicate in the first place.)
Old 10-26-2017, 05:16 AM   #10
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPreds View Post
1. Fast play-by-play speed, fast clock speed. These boxes are checked: Game Stoppages, Break Goals, Show Puck Location.
2. This usually happens when I'm using the Sim Period End button, but sometimes it also happens when I use Play.
3. It's happened frequently enough that I can't recall whether there were injuries in any of the games where I've encountered this issue.
4. It's happened both when I win and when my opponent wins - not sure about home/away.
So if I understand correctly it does not have anything to do with a OT goal, right? It just crashes randomly during a game (not at the end or when you leave the game)? I played/watched a few hundred games now to look for a OT crash (no luck), so I need to find out what you do different from me. Do you make changes to your team during the game?

And how often does it roughly crash, every game, every 2nd/3rd/... game?

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
zandre
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
So if I understand correctly it does not have anything to do with a OT goal, right? It just crashes randomly during a game (not at the end or when you leave the game)? I played/watched a few hundred games now to look for a OT crash (no luck), so I need to find out what you do different from me. Do you make changes to your team during the game?

And how often does it roughly crash, every game, every 2nd/3rd/... game?

Thanks for any help!

When it has happened to me, it is in OT, in sudden death (not the shoot-out), using Sim Period End. The GWG is scored, the scoring info is displayed, then the Sim Period End button crashes it.
I play as Gm only, so I never make any changes to the team; I let the HC do his thing.
As for frequency- if one out of every 12 games goes to OT, and of those 1 out of 5 end in extra time before the shootout, I'd say 80% crash after the GWG.

Thanks for the work on this1
Old 10-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
LetsGoPreds
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandre View Post
When it has happened to me, it is in OT, in sudden death (not the shoot-out), using Sim Period End. The GWG is scored, the scoring info is displayed, then the Sim Period End button crashes it.
I play as Gm only, so I never make any changes to the team; I let the HC do his thing.
As for frequency- if one out of every 12 games goes to OT, and of those 1 out of 5 end in extra time before the shootout, I'd say 80% crash after the GWG.
@Sebastian: zandre's description of everything but the frequency applies to my experience as well. I've stopped watching the simulations altogether because of this bug so I can't say how often it happens, other than that it happened often enough to convince me not to take the chance of my game crashing.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #13
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I was not able to reproduce it but I made a few chances that might resolve the problem:

- We removed the "Sim to Period End" button for the moment (whenever I have time I will re-add it with changed functionality).

- After a OT goal the game will now show the "End Game" button directly, so no need to press any other button first. Since that seems to be the reason for the crash (whatever the problem was) it could resolve the problem. Again, since it never crashed here, it is hard for me to really test it.

So please report any changes (good or bad) here and I will look further if needed.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
LetsGoPreds
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Applied the patch. I played through an entire season's playoffs yesterday, had 6 games go to OT, and none of them crashed. The "End Game" button popped up immediately at the conclusion on all of them. Still going to keep my eye out, but I'm willing to watch the sims again since it looks like the issue has been fixed.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:18 AM   #15
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Good to hear. If you see another crash in this area, please let me know.