Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 4 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM dynasties here!

Old 10-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #1
skyballer455
All Star Reserve

The History Of Hockey: FHM4 Edition

For the past couple of years I've always enjoyed OOTP and have done a couple of (partial) single-season replays. I first discovered FHM when FHM2 came out. I'm quite surprised at how this game (and the game of hockey) has grown on me the last couple of years. I especially enjoyed Tiger Fan's History of Hockey replays which further piqued my interest in the game. However, I always found it strange that the beginning of historical mode was 1931 when the NHL started in 1917. When I learned that historical mode in FHM4 would start in 1917, I knew right away that I would be doing my own history of hockey replay. So, here it is.

The replay will begin with the 1917-18 season and I will move forward season by season up to the present day. I will of course be playing in commissioner mode and let history play out on its own. I will also be doing write-ups on each season as history moves forward. In addition, I will be using the FHM engine to control player development.

To maintain some degree of familiarity, I'll have rookies debut with the clubs they debuted with in real life. This will ensure that Gordie Howe will be a Red Wing, Bobby Orr will be a Bruin, and so on. The only downside to this is that there will be no amateur draft but that shouldn't matter that much.

As this replay moves along, if anyone wants information on a specific player or team please feel free to ask for it. Will all that in mind, I hope everyone enjoys this replay.
skyballer455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
skyballer455
All Star Reserve

Reserved for Stanley Cup and award winners
Old 10-09-2017, 02:02 AM   #3
skyballer455
All Star Reserve

1917-1918 The league begins

1917-1918

For this first season of the replay there are two active leagues, the newly formed National Hockey League and the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, known in-game as the Western Canada Hockey league. Both leagues are very small, having just four teams and three teams respectively. I will do reports on both leagues while they exist together.

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

The first goal in NHL history was scored by Harry Meeking of the Toronto Arenas in their opening night game against the Montreal Wanderers at Westmount Arena on December 19th. Corb Denneny and Alf Skinner contributed the first ever assists. The Arenas would go on to win the game 6-3.

In real-life, the NHL played a split-season format in their first season. Since playing a split season is impossible in FHM4, in the replay the league had a 24-game schedule.

The Canadiens were the class of the new league as they went totally undefeated all season. This is evident in the fact that four of the top five scorers were members of that team.

Code:
                         GP  W  L  OT  PTS  
Montreal Canadiens       24 24  0   0   48
Toronto Arenas           24 15  9   0   30
Ottawa Senators          24  6 16   2   14
Montreal Wanderers       24  3 21   0    6

SCORING LEADERS          TEAM GP  G  A  PTS
Newsy Lalonde            MTL  24 39 40  79
Joe Malone               MTL  24 25 41  66
Louis Berlinquette       MTL  24 27 26  53
Amos Arbour              MTL  24 16 24  40
Reg Noble                TOR  24  8 31  39
In the playoffs the top two teams in the league met in a two game total goal series, i. e. the team with the most goals scored after two games would win the championship.

As expected the Canadiens hoisted the O'Brien cup after defeating the Arenas 6-0 in the first game and 4-2 in the second game. Thus, the Canadiens earn the right to face the PCHA champion in the Stanley Cup Final.

PACIFIC COAST HOCKEY ASSOCIATION

In the PCHA, which plays an 18 game season, the Vancouver Millionaires were the top team, led by a first line anchored by defenseman Cyclone Taylor and center Mickey MacKay.

Code:
                         GP  W  L  OT  PTS  
Vancouver Millionaires   18 12  6   0  24
Portland Rosebuds        18  9  8   1  19
Seattle Metropolitans    18  6 11   1  13

SCORING LEADERS          TEAM GP  G  A  PTS
Tommy Dunderdale         POR  18  9 19  28
Cyclone Taylor           VAN  17  6 19  25
Jack Walker              SEA  18  8 15  23
Frank Foyston            SEA  15  9 13  22
Mickey MacKay            VAN  18  9 12  21
Just like in the NHL, the top two teams met in a two game total goal series, and as expected the Millionaires easily topped the Rosebuds by a goal total of 14-1 to win the PCHA championship.

STANLEY CUP FINAL

The Stanley Cup final this year is a five-game series pitting the NHL champion against the PCHA champion.

The Habs were soundly defeated in Game 1 on their home ice 5-0, but won the next two games in dominant fashion to come to within a win of the Stanley Cup. However, the Millionaires had other plans as in Game 4 on their home ice they took a 5-2 lead into the third period. Despite a furious comeback effort by the Habs, Vancouver prevailed and won the game 6-5, setting up a Game 5 back in Montreal.

In Game 5, things looked bad for the Habs at the end of the first period as Vancouver led the game 2-1. However, three second period goals put them back on top 4-3. In the final period, the Millionaires only managed a single goal while the Habs tacked on two more, including one by Louis Berlinquette with less than 30 seconds remaining in the game to bring the Stanley Cup to Montreal.

NHL AWARD WINNERS:

HART TROPHY: Newsy Lalonde Mon Canadiens (24 GP 39-40-79)

VEZINA TROPHY: Georges Vezina Mon Canadiens (24-0-2 1.99)

NORRIS TROPHY: Billy Coutu Mon Canadiens (24 GP 7-22-29)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Newsy Lalonde Mon Canadiens (24 GP 39-40-79)

CALDER TROPHY: Reg Noble Toronto (24 GP 8-31-39)

POSTSEASON ALL-STARS:
Code:
POS      FIRST TEAM                 SECOND TEAM
G   Georges Vezina   Mon Can    Hap Holmes         Toronto    
D   Bert Corbeau     Mon Can    Hal McNamara       Mon Can   
D   Billy Coutu      Mon Can    Jack Laviolette    Mon Can
C   Newsy Lalonde    Mon Can    Frank Nighbor      Ottawa
LW  Joe Malone       Mon Can    Louis Berlinquette Mon Can
RW  Alf Skinner      Toronto    Jack Darragh       Ottawa
PCHA AWARD WINNERS:

MVP AWARD: Tommy Dunderdale Portland (18 GP 9-19-28)

GOALIE AWARD: Hugh Lehman Vancouver (12-6-0 2.61)

DEFENSEMAN AWARD: Cyclone Taylor Vancouver (17 GP 6-19-25)

POINTS AWARD: Tommy Dunderdale Portland (18 GP 9-19-28)

ROOKIE AWARD: Eddie Jewell Portland (12 GP 5-5-10)

POSTSEASON ALL-STARS:
Code:
POS      FIRST TEAM                 SECOND TEAM
G   Hugh Lehman      Vancouver  Tom Murray         Portland   
D   Cyclone Taylor   Vancouver  Si Griffis         Vancouver  
D   Moose Johnson    Portland   Lloyd Cook         Vancouver
C   Tommy Dunderdale Portland   Mickey MacKay      Vancouver
LW  Jack Walker      Seattle    Fred Harris        Portland
RW  Barney Stanley   Vancouver  Charlie Tobin      Portland
Old 10-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
skyballer455
All Star Reserve

1918-1919

1918-1919

The NHL, already a small league, got even smaller as the Montreal Wanderers folded at the end of the season. In real life, the Wanderers only played four games before their arena burned down and they were forced to fold mid-season. Now there are only three teams in the NHL.

Meanwhile, in the PCHA, the Portland Rosebuds closed up shop at the end of the season. Taking their place are the Victoria Aristocrats.

During the offseason, Wanderers star Harry Hyland was picked up by the Canadiens. Over in the PCHA, reigning league MVP Tommy Dunderdale was signed by the expansion Aristocrats.

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

This season, the schedule length has been shortened to just 18 games.

On December 23rd, the Habs suffer their first loss in team history as the Arenas beat them in Toronto 3-2.

Newsy Lalonde, Joe Malone, and the rest of the Canadiens once again prove that they are the dominant team, as once again the leading scorer list is filled with Habs.

Code:
                        GP  W  L  OT  PTS  
Montreal Canadiens      18 15  3   0  30
Ottawa Senators         18  7 11   0  14
Toronto Arenas          18  5 11   2  12

SCORING LEADERS         TEAM GP  G  A  PTS
Newsy Lalonde           MTL  18 12 23  35
Joe Malone              MTL  18 14 14  28
Dick Irvin              MTL  18 12 15  27
Eddie Oatman            MTL  18  7 17  24
Reg Noble               TOR  18  5 18  23
This year, the top two teams in the league will face off in a best-of-seven series for the O'Brien cup.

Surprisingly, the Senators managed to win a couple games, both on their home ice, but it wasn't enough as the Habs once again dominated them in six games to hoist the O'Brien trophy and head to the Stanley cup final.

PACIFIC COAST HOCKEY ASSOCIATION

This year the PCHA increased the season length to 20 games.

The Victoria Aristocrats turned out to be a non-factor all season long. They only managed a single win. To make matters worse, their signing of Tommy Dunderdale didn't help them any as he scored only a pair of goals and notched a pair of assists all season. It may just as well have been a two-team league, the way they were playing.

Nonetheless, the Millionaires were still dominant as they went totally undefeated with a goal difference of 80!

Code:
                        GP  W  L  OT  PTS  
Vancouver Millionaires  20 20  0   0  40
Seattle Metropolitans   20  9  9   2  20
Victoria Aristocrats    20  1 19   0   2

SCORING LEADERS         TEAM GP  G  A  PTS
Mickey MacKay           VAN  20 25 26  51
Cyclone Taylor          VAN  20 14 28  42
Barney Stanley          VAN  20 14 16  40
Frank Foyston           SEA  20  9 17  26
Jim Riley               SEA  20 11 13  24
In the total goal championship series, the Millionaires edged out Seattle by a goal total of 4-3 in two games to win their second straight PCHA championship and punch their ticket to the Stanley Cup Final.

STANLEY CUP FINAL

In real-life, the Stanley Cup Final was canceled due to the Spanish flu outbreak. Indeed in the replay, some players are affected but none are from either the Canadiens or the Millionaires so the Finals go on as planned.

If hockey fans were hoping for a competitive series, they would be disappointed as Montreal swept Vancouver in four games to hoist the Cup for the second straight year. Many are no doubt thinking that NHL just might be the dominant league after all.

NHL AWARD WINNERS:

HART TROPHY: Newsy Lalonde Montreal (18 GP 12-23-35)

VEZINA TROPHY: Georges Vezina Montreal (11-2-0 2.81)

NORRIS TROPHY: Billy Coutu Montreal (14 GP 1-18-19)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Newsy Lalonde Montreal (18 GP 12-23-35)

CALDER TROPHY: Harry Meeking Toronto (18 GP 3-7-10)

POSTSEASON ALL-STARS:
Code:
POS      FIRST TEAM		         SECOND TEAM
G   Georges Vezina   Montreal   Tom Murray         Montreal
D   Billy Coutu      Montreal   Dave Ritchie       Montreal 
D   Bert Corbeau     Montreal   Sprague Cleghorn   Ottawa
C   Newsy Lalonde    Montreal   Reg Noble          Toronto
LW  Joe Malone       Montreal   Cy Denneny         Ottawa
RW  Punch Broadbent  Ottawa     Odie Cleghorn      Montreal
PCHA AWARD WINNERS:

MVP AWARD: Mickey MacKay Vancouver (20 GP 25-26-51)

GOALIE AWARD: Hugh Lehman Vancouver (19-0-0 1.66)

DEFENSEMAN AWARD: Cyclone Taylor Vancouver (20 GP 14-28-42)

POINTS AWARD: Mickey MacKay Vancouver (20 GP 25-26-51)

ROOKIE AWARD: Stanley Skinner Vancouver (20 GP 9-11-20)

POSTSEASON ALL-STARS:
Code:
POS      FIRST TEAM		         SECOND TEAM
G   Hugh Lehman      Vancouver  Hec Fowler         Seattle
D   Cyclone Taylor   Vancouver  Lloyd Cook         Vancouver
D   Si Griffis       Vancouver  Moose Johnson      Vancouver
C   Mickey MacKay    Vancouver  Frank Foyston      Seattle
LW  Jim Riley        Seattle    Gordon Roberts     Victoria
RW  Barney Stanley   Vancouver  Stanley Skinner    Vancouver

Last edited by skyballer455; 10-22-2017 at 11:16 PM.