Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 12-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
bobbyclobber
Bat Boy

Personnel hiring and training mechanics questions...

How do I hire coaches/assistant coaches/scouts to maximize the training I can give to my players? Ideally I would have 5/5 for every category, but is this even possible?
It seems like you can hire an unlimited amount of assistant coaches and scouts as long as you have room in your budget, but is hiring 10 niche coaches better than hiring 3-4 well rounded coaches with good reputations?
As I understand it scouts don't affect your teams training ability even though they have ratings for training, but other than that I don't understand how the mechanics specifically work.
So what is required to have say 5/5 offensive training?
bobbyclobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
Calvinthesneak
Bat Boy

I too am curious about this. I've been experimenting with just a set of well rounded assistants and then with a larger set that are good at one thing. Neither seems to work well. Generally I can get one skill set to 5, another two to 4 and the rest at 3.

Also, how do you improve your own ratings as a coach and GM? (Both Training and management ratings)
Calvinthesneak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

The game will only consider the training scores of the top few assistant coaches in each category, so, theoretically, if you had a bunch of very specialized coaches you could optimize training by hiring a dozen of them. However, the head coach's ratings are weighted more heavily than any individual assistants, so unless a team has a coach that's exceptionally well-rounded, hitting 5/5 in every category would be very difficult.

Scouts don't affect training at all, although they do have training ratings (as do the GM's - those are only used if they happen to be moved into a coaching role.)

Your own coaching ratings won't improve over time (although that's something we intend to change in the future).
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Hadehariast
Minors (Single A)

I'm not actually sure it matters anyways-- through two different saves (including one started after the most recent patch) I've never had a player gain anything more than +1 skill per month. I've been very purposeful with my training, making sure that the players selected for individual training never drop below 17/20 for the category they're training in. Some players are set to train in three different categories, all at those levels (or above), and they don't gain anything more than a player with no individual training.

I've been monitoring this very closely, and I check my development reports specifically for this, because it's been bothering me a lot.
Hadehariast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
jslmsca
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Scouts don't affect training at all, although they do have training ratings (as do the GM's - those are only used if they happen to be moved into a coaching role.).
Is this implemented? How can you hire a Scout (or Head Coach) to be an Assistant Coach? I don't see that option anywhere.
jslmsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
jslmsca
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadehariast View Post
I'm not actually sure it matters anyways-- through two different saves (including one started after the most recent patch) I've never had a player gain anything more than +1 skill per month.
I don't control training myself but I've had a player gain a +1 in more than one skill. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.
jslmsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:37 AM   #7
Calvinthesneak
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslmsca View Post
Is this implemented? How can you hire a Scout (or Head Coach) to be an Assistant Coach? I don't see that option anywhere.
You cannot. He's just saying they all have all the ratings. Coaches have scouting ability, and scouts have coaching abilities.
Calvinthesneak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
Hadehariast
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslmsca View Post
I don't control training myself but I've had a player gain a +1 in more than one skill. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.
Unfortunately, through two seasons of very close watch, I have never had a player gain more than one skill point in a month. My coaching setup is 5/5 Mental, 4/5 on all other categories. Given that I always build with young players, and spend a lot of time trying to develop them, this becomes annoying.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadehariast View Post
Unfortunately, through two seasons of very close watch, I have never had a player gain more than one skill point in a month. My coaching setup is 5/5 Mental, 4/5 on all other categories. Given that I always build with young players, and spend a lot of time trying to develop them, this becomes annoying.
Imo opinion it works just right - if you get more than +1 per player frequently, you´d have a league full of 4.0 players in a heartbeat.
Players should 'develop' , not becoming auto starters within 1 season.

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
Hadehariast
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
Imo opinion it works just right - if you get more than +1 per player frequently, you´d have a league full of 4.0 players in a heartbeat.
Players should 'develop' , not becoming auto starters within 1 season.
I'm not suggesting a return to the FHM 2014 style of development, where you'd get three or four increases per month, every month, for every young player-- I'm suggesting that a second skill point shouldn't be as rare as it is with the level of coaching that I've devoted to it.

As it stands, if I ignore all the players who aren't with my NHL team (since I don't control their training), I have twenty players on my team who are young enough to gain skills regularily. Over the space of twenty-four months, that equates to 480 'chances' to see a player gain a second skill point, before you even get to extra training.

When you incorporate extra training, I get the following "skill ticks" per month:

(20) - 10
(17) - 9

Which works out to what I would call 456 'high-quality chances' over the space of two years for a second skill tick. Now obviously this has fluctuated a bit as players have come into the team, but I'd say this is a pretty accurate reflection of that period of time. It's actually probably on the low end of the estimates for a two-year period.

To get back to my point-- I think that when you invest in a reasonably good coaching setup, you should see some sort of positive result from it which differentiates it from a poor coaching setup. If high-quality chances for skill gains don't get you any sort of return on investment, what's the point of them? I think there needs to be some sort of happy medium-- if only one player on my team gained a second skill point every other month, that would be six 'bonus' skill points a year-- or a high-quality chance conversion rate of 2.6% (6 / 228) per year, which I don't think is particularily outlandish.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #11
Hadehariast
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
The game will only consider the training scores of the top few assistant coaches in each category, so, theoretically, if you had a bunch of very specialized coaches you could optimize training by hiring a dozen of them. However, the head coach's ratings are weighted more heavily than any individual assistants, so unless a team has a coach that's exceptionally well-rounded, hitting 5/5 in every category would be very difficult.

Scouts don't affect training at all, although they do have training ratings (as do the GM's - those are only used if they happen to be moved into a coaching role.)

Your own coaching ratings won't improve over time (although that's something we intend to change in the future).
The future is now! My coaching rating just improved for physical training, apparently. I've attached a screenshot.
Attached Images