Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

First crack at Historical Replay - some questions

I have two questions I'd like some help with.

I just tried my first Historical League ...

Two questions I have:

#1: If you click "use historical lineups" ... does this then force "retire players according to history" and "players miss seasons according to history"? It doesn't specifically say in the league set-up.

In other words...what does use historical lineups mean? That the year-by-year lineup, historically, is what is used? If so, does that mean that you are best served retiring players according to history?

#2: I set up a game using historical transactions clicked ON. But using historical line-ups clicked OFF. I also did not retire players according to history (to get Shoeless Joe Jackson to continue after 1919) and did not have players miss seasons according to history (to have Ted Williams, etc. not miss seasons to WWII). But....after 18 seasons, Philadelphia could no longer continue due to having an illegal number of players on its roster (8). How/why did this happen?
MKG1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:38 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKG1734 View Post
I have two questions I'd like some help with.

I just tried my first Historical League ...

Two questions I have:

#1: If you click "use historical lineups" ... does this then force "retire players according to history" and "players miss seasons according to history"? It doesn't specifically say in the league set-up.

In other words...what does use historical lineups mean? That the year-by-year lineup, historically, is what is used? If so, does that mean that you are best served retiring players according to history?

#2: I set up a game using historical transactions clicked ON. But using historical line-ups clicked OFF. I also did not retire players according to history (to get Shoeless Joe Jackson to continue after 1919) and did not have players miss seasons according to history (to have Ted Williams, etc. not miss seasons to WWII). But....after 18 seasons, Philadelphia could no longer continue due to having an illegal number of players on its roster (8). How/why did this happen?
I dont use either one in Ques 1 but i am guessing yes.
check the teams transactions logs, maybe between trading people away and retirements they had no one left. They were bad for a long time.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I dont use either one in Ques 1 but i am guessing yes.
check the teams transactions logs, maybe between trading people away and retirements they had no one left. They were bad for a long time.
For #1: I ask if it 'forces' these settings for gameplay purposes .... because .... it does NOT actually force them in the set-up screen.

For #2: The game just lets this happen? What can I do as the commissioner to fix this issue? And by fix I mean....I'd like to set the computer to sim 50 seasons and walk away from it and ensure that the sim has continued and not stopped after 18 seasons (such as happened)...
Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Any of you historical simmers know this?...
Old 04-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

for #2, check the rosters/transactions page and see if they have a lot of players injured. If I'm doing a historical replay, I usually turn injuries low (or even off for the first couple seasons). Once they build up a reserve roster and have backup players available, then the injury setting gets bumped back up.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
for #2, check the rosters/transactions page and see if they have a lot of players injured. If I'm doing a historical replay, I usually turn injuries low (or even off for the first couple seasons). Once they build up a reserve roster and have backup players available, then the injury setting gets bumped back up.
The active roster currently has 8 players with 4 on the DL. However, even if the 4 DL'd players were healthy, the team would only have 7 position players (5 pitchers). This sim is not just 1-2-3 years into it....but 18 years!

How can this be? Is the AI not programmed to pick up adequate personnel to keep a full roster? After 18 years? And furthermore...this is an AI controlled team. As soon as there are not enough players to field a team, the AI doesn't immediately sign someone to avoid this issue?

How can this be avoided?

Last edited by MKG1734; 04-30-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The active roster currently has 8 players with 4 on the DL. However, even if the 4 DL'd players were healthy, the team would only have 7 position players (5 pitchers). This sim is not just 1-2-3 years into it....but 18 years!

How can this be? Is the AI not programmed to pick up adequate personnel to keep a full roster? After 18 years? And furthermore...this is an AI controlled team. As soon as there are not enough players to field a team, the AI doesn't immediately sign someone to avoid this issue?

How can this be avoided?
What team is this and what season is it?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Philadelphia: 1918 (started 1901)
Old 04-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if you mean the Phillies or Athletics. But lets look at both teams rosters for that year. If you have OOTP set up to use real transactions. Let's start with the Phillies. The Phillies used a total of 27 players in 1918. 16 batters, 11 pitchers. Now unless this team made absolutely no transactions during the season, it's doubtful that you will ever have access to a 27 man roster. The Athletics used 31 players. 15 batters, 16 pitchers.

When using real transactions the AI isn't going to ever pick up players. All player movement from one team to another is dictated by what happened in real life. So if you have too many injuries it's easy to see why a team might end up with not enough players. I've always wondered what happens if you have injuries turned on and a player suffers a career ending injury. What happens if that player is later involved in a real life transaction. What does the game do?
Old 04-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Phillies used a total of 27
Quote:
Athletics used 31 players
My game: 8 rostered players, 4 DL players = 12 players

That leaves the Phillies 15 players short, and the Athletics 19 players short.

I can't imagine these teams had this many career-ending injuries.

So...what else would cause this bc it isn't injuries, alone..
Old 04-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My game: 8 rostered players, 4 DL players = 12 players

That leaves the Phillies 15 players short, and the Athletics 19 players short.

I can't imagine these teams had this many career-ending injuries.

So...what else would cause this bc it isn't injuries, alone..
Something is definitely wrong. You should always have enough players to field a team. Can you list the players on the Phillies. How many are pitchers and how many are position players? Sorry, just trying to figure out why this would be happening.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I'm wondering if you not selecting to have players retire/miss seasons according to history could put a screw in the works somehow. Maybe the game has trouble dealing with this.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #13
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Phillies:

SP E. Jacobs
SP J. Oeschger
SP M. Prendergast
RP M. Watson

C E. Burns
1B F. Luderus
3B H. Pearce
SS M. Stock
CF C. Williams
RFG. Cravath

Notes:
October of previous year (1917): RP J. Lavender retires
Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #14
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Very strange. I just set up a real transaction 1918 season. The Phillie start with 20 players. As the season goes by they lose a few player. Then with injuries set to low they suffer some significant injuries. They no longer have a enough position players to field a team. Yet, I'm not getting illegal number of player messages. So I click on one of their games. They have a Brad Hogg a pitcher playing shortstop. So, I'm thinking playing with injuries set to even VERY LOW might be risky. Heck, maybe the best route would be just upping suspensions to very high and turning injuries off entirely.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #15
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Here is a question:

If you use:
Historical Transactions: ON
Historical Lineups: ON

What happens when you get to 2015? 2016? Do all of these settings turn off and you just are then allowed to play freely?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #16
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here is a question:

If you use:
Historical Transactions: ON
Historical Lineups: ON

What happens when you get to 2015? 2016? Do all of these settings turn off and you just are then allowed to play freely?
Yes, because obviously there is no history for those seasons.

If you are actively using Historical Transactions and Lineups, it is recommended to turn injuries off, for obvious reasons. You should also have them retire according to history, as you've asked, for other obvious reasons.

There is a major difference between historical replay and historical PLAY. As the poster above stated, if you still want some randomness with players missing games, turning suspensions up could be the answer you're looking for.

(Even that would be wonky, as you're going to have players suspended that should have been in the real lineup.)
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote