Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 10-04-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Colorado
Major Leagues

Brit, new to the game, what do I need to start?

Hi all, I've just bought the game as it's been reduced after months of contemplation!

I'm a British baseball fan, who's been learning about and following baseball for the last few months.

I'm familiar with the NHL and Franchise Hockey Manager, so do have some understanding of American sports, and I hope I'll learn more about baseball, in particular stats and their relevance, through playing the game.

As a starter, what graphics etc are considered essential by the community here?
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to play in the current year beyond, the base graphics are pretty good. A few minor league teams don't have graphics and unis. If you want to customize the graphics are a bit more generic. Customization is almost endless you can even make an English league with a FA style regulation/promotion set of leagues.

So if you want to play the standard MLB teams in the modern era, there is really nothing else you need. You can search for player pictures if you want real pictures of the players. I generally use fictional so I don't use them.

If you want to play a fictional league with random or custom cities and names or outside the US, there is nothing really needed but the generic graphics get a little bland despite OOTP creating unique logos and unis. The random colors and schemes can create some kind of weird combinations of colors.There are sets of fictional uniforms and logos under mods.

Historical is fine in the more modern era. If you go back to the early 1900's some uniforms are missing and the logos are from a later period. The MLB license now allows to OOTP to come stock with uniforms and logos. Some of the early teams are now defunct though so that is probably why you don't get the logos and the uniforms in the early 1900's. They are some great packs with the logos and unis though.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

If you want to go full on addict, there are online and downloadable tools for making logos and uniforms. You don't even need a picture unless you want something exactly like a real world uniform. I have used pickoff for logos and there are online jersey and cap creators linked in the mods. I have played since OOTP 1 so I spent a good part of my graduate school years messing with stuff like this.

I probably need to do a compilation of graphics I have a ton of logos and jerseys on my hard drive. Most of it is from others though and some of it I don't really remember what year it is from.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

as long as it's the matching city and team nickname, the graphics should auto-select for you. you can , of course, change them too.

now that it is licensed, you shouldn't have to add much to the game for the real team colors and graphics. unless you want to.

the mod subforum should have anything that's missing, if people have created it. very likely for anything mainstream and less likely for anything too esoteric in nature.

Stats are directly caused by ratings... so it'd be in your best interest to learn this relationship, just like in the other sports games you play. inaccuracy of your scout is a big concern too.

stats are a lagging indicator... Just as you don't know you are in a recession until 2 consecutive quarters meet the requirements of a 'recession'... but, we were in the recession starting 2 quarters ago and just didn't know it for certain at the time.

this is important to know during development. promoting someone that is performing well (pretend we are omniscient for a second after the fact) is at least months late, and likely more.

now, another impediment to this understanding is the numerous statistical environments that are possible in ootp and how that affects the weight of any particular ratings... e.g. an "80" power in a league with 1000 hr isn't too important compared to an "80" power in a league with 10,000 hr.

so, if you play a "2019" like league, you can use most common reference material you find through google or listening to a bunch of sports enthusiasts -- within reason, of course, when listening to the peanut gallery. last thing you want to do is listen to sports radio and consider what they say to be the bible of baseball, lol. remember, the average person (in america tat least) only reads at a elmentary to middle school level and their reasoning skills are likely equivalen to that sort of sophistication.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-11-2019 at 01:51 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Graphics preference depends on weather you are a more visual gamer or statistics gamer. If the stats are whats more important to you don't necessarily need a high degree of graphics, or any for that matter. However, if you want to have high visual realism there are options for that if you prefer. Myself, I prefer low graphics and high statistics so as to not bog down the game, and I'm not much of a graphic artist, but it's all about personal preference.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote