Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #21
chazzycat
All Star Starter

exactly! lol
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #22
HelpDodgers
Major Leagues

I did this with my ballpark hoping to add to my left-handed hitting when left-hand killing pitching teams come to town.

But I have no clue what I really did.
Attached Images
HelpDodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #23
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
It got even more extreme after you left it, as well. Last season 11/30 teams were lefty teams, and I think that's a decrease from a couple weeks ago.

So, definitely, I do not recommend just plucking park settings from someone and assuming it will work. I think the big takeaway is that you really just need a coherent strategy to score runs and prevent runs. Anybody whose team is built well around a particular strategy seems to have success.

EDIT: Also, as an interesting note, we recently had an OL team which got misplaced into a generic Perfect League after promotion from Diamond. That team made the playoffs in their random Perfect league. Then, upon re-entry to the Perfect OL League, they went 60-102 (or something like that) and were instantly demoted back to Diamond. I don't think the rostered players in OL are anywhere near the quality of an average random playoff team in Perfect, but nearly every regular player in Perfect OL has a refined strategy. It just goes to show that, except for some obvious extreme cases, park factors are much more important than player quality. Even the lone Perfect Big Walt that is in the league hasn't had the ERA crown in 4 years.
That team in question is the Blitzkrieg Boppers. We favor a neutral park approach with an emphasis on keeping home runs to a minimum, so against all the other strategies it may have been easy to see why we thrived in a normal perfect league, then got smacked around in the OL/NFTP league.

We're hoping to make our way back to perfect at the first time of asking. Pulling 99 Jackie Robinson on Sunday really helps our cause.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #24
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

I am probably over-thinking this, but it seems that teams that favor LHB in their ballpark factors would also need LHP to counter the opposing teams.

Because wouldn't the opposing team play more RHB, putting them at a disadvantage in the LHB ballpark?
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #25
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDodgers View Post
I did this with my ballpark hoping to add to my left-handed hitting when left-hand killing pitching teams come to town.

But I have no clue what I really did.
You basically gave lefties more singles than righties, but for extra base hits both sides will be inflated.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #26
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post
I am probably over-thinking this, but it seems that teams that favor LHB in their ballpark factors would also need LHP to counter the opposing teams.

Because wouldn't the opposing team play more RHB, putting them at a disadvantage in the LHB ballpark?
You’re not overthinking it at all IMO. My top 2 starters are lefties for this reason.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #27
allenciox
All Star Reserve

You got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post

Absolutely. If you are playing lefty hitters in a lefty ballpark, you want to have a starting pitching staff of lefties as well, so that teams you go up against will bat righties or face a disadvantage of having their lefty batters up against your lefty pitchers.

In fact, if you are going to be traveling to a lefty ballpark, you want to put lefty SPs up for the same reason... sending your right-handed SP up against it is just playing into their hands. This is often too much micromanagement until playoffs, but can definitely play a factor there.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:48 AM   #28
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
So we have 4 types of hitters:
A) RHB contact/gap hitters (Gary Maddox)
B) RHB power/eye hitters (Mike Trout)
C) LHB contact/gap hitters (Rod Carew)
D) LHB power/eye hitters (Babe Ruth)

So for example if you build your offense around type A hitters (max RHB contact) then you would also want to have strong RHPs to keep opponents RHBs in check. Also, by throwing all RHP you would get more lefties into your opponents lineups from platoons, who would then be playing at a 10% disadvantage.

Does this apply only for SP (opponent then starts its lineup vs lety) or even for the bullpen as well?

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 05-15-2020 at 06:01 AM.
RoteLaterne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:07 AM   #29
DazzyPaige
Bat Boy

If you have a lot of good contact and power on your team, why would you boost that in your home park. Wouldn’t it be strategic to make it harder to hit and rely on comparative advantage in a sense? If you have really good hitters would a 0.9 instead of 1.1 be a way of supporting your pitching but hoping your hitters out class the opponent?

Also if you had a really defensive team with good range, arms etc, would you recommend aligning more on 0.9 or 1.1 How does fielding get impacted by the ball park and what strategies are there for the use of defensive players and these numbers.

Last question, if you set your numbers to be a pitcher friendly park but you make your stadium dimensions a homer friendly park, do the dimensions of the park override or conflict with the 0.9 to 1.1 sliders in any way?

Thanks for any help here!

Last edited by DazzyPaige; 05-16-2020 at 03:08 AM.
DazzyPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #30
Abnerdoubleday
Minors (Triple A)

my understanding is that stadium dimensions are just cosmetic and don't actually do anything in PT.
Abnerdoubleday is offline   Reply With Quote