Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
Timofmars
Minors (Triple A)

Hit and Run, Run and Hit

I'm not sure what effects the Hit and Run strategy has.

Sure, a hit made while the runner is running will give him a big jump on getting extra bases. It should also reduce the chance of double plays (with the main risk being a caught line drive, I suppose).

Also, the batter will try to make contact even if it's a bad pitch because he will maybe assume that the runner will get thrown out otherwise. So batting average will decrease? And also eliminate the chance at a walk? Or will he hold the swing on a bad pitch if there's 3 balls already? Does his hitting chance increase at all because a fielder may move to cover 2nd and leave a gap? Who covers 2nd, the 2nd basemen? And if so, does that mean a lefty that pulls to the right side benefits more from a hit and run?

What about Run and Hit? I assume it should be done only when there's a runner that can steal by himself. But why not do it all the time instead of stealing? I'd think Run and Hit would reduce the chance of getting caught stealing, since the batter will sometimes get a hit that prevents an attempt at throwing the runner out. The batter also gains the hitting advantage of fielders being out of position to cover 2B. With just a normal steal, the batter gives up a chance of seeing a good pitch to hit, and also gives up a free strike if the pitch happens to be in the strike zone. Maybe if you know your baserunner can steal easily, it may be better to let him reach 2B before swinging the bat, since he'll get an even better "jump" leading off from 2B compared to having a running start from 1B. But I'd think that Run and Hit should generally be preferred over just a normal steal attempt. Or maybe on a steal, the runner only goes when he's able to get a good jump, but will be forced into running on a Run and Hit?

What am I missing here?

For better success, the hitter should have good contact. But shouldn't Avoid Ks be almost as important, if it works to prevent swinging and missing?

Last edited by Timofmars; 03-14-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Timofmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

You covered everything I can think of except whether the pitcher can throw strikes and whether the pitcher wants to throw a strike.

The effect is probably small, and it you do it a lot, probably negative. Maybe negative if you don't do it a lot.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
martyjay75
Minors (Double A)

For me it usually boils down to game situation. I generally would NEVER hit and run if I was tied or behind. Run and hit I do occasionally when I have a fast/good baserunner and I want to add insurance runs. Steal I use in many situations. This is especially true if I have a power hitter at the plate and a pitcher prone to pitching around him.
martyjay75 is offline   Reply With Quote