Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 02-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Setalight
Bat Boy

FHM Basics - Help

Hey guys,

is there a small questions thread or anything i could read to help me with the basics?

I'm very new to hockey (only started this season) and I'm even newer to FHM.

A couple of things I don't understand...

The tactics - I tend to let my assistant do most of the tactics and then just play with the tempo and risk taking depending on the score and time left. Any one got any tips?

Prospects - On the depth chart are prospects guys that my team drafted in the last few years that haven't been called up yet? What is the difference between red and blue names?

Any other tips for hockey beginners?

any help is much appreciated because I'm really enjoying the game so far.
Setalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setalight View Post
Hey guys,

is there a small questions thread or anything i could read to help me with the basics?

I'm very new to hockey (only started this season) and I'm even newer to FHM.

A couple of things I don't understand...

The tactics - I tend to let my assistant do most of the tactics and then just play with the tempo and risk taking depending on the score and time left. Any one got any tips?

Prospects - On the depth chart are prospects guys that my team drafted in the last few years that haven't been called up yet? What is the difference between red and blue names?

Any other tips for hockey beginners?

any help is much appreciated because I'm really enjoying the game so far.
Good call! I was about to make "small questions" thread myself!
About some tips, as a player you have already got a huge help in the form of quantification of your tactic right before a match (e.g. Tarasov system [+10]/ Neutral zone trap [+8] etc. - the same for pp and pk). You can try to get those numbers as large as possible. Also, you can decrease the numbers of your opposition by setting "countering" roles for your players (yellow and red bars) - they are supposed to get down the number of tactical advantage of your opposition.
However, i am not sure about if its a good idea to choose many red bar roles because they can influence on your own tactical performance. So i would also like to get an explanation/opinion about this. Anyone?

And, speaking of small questions -
is it possible to stop receiving messages related to sorts of Division-III-B etc international tournaments?
when i simulate a match, who exactly of my assistants does in-game coaching instead of me?
MarkLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:43 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setalight View Post
Blue names are players who've signed a contract with you, Red are those you haven't signed yet (and Green are players currently on your roster or injured reserve list.) I can't remember the exact cutoff for the prospects list, but I think it's players under 24 who've haven't played X number of games with the team yet.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:51 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLeo View Post
However, i am not sure about if its a good idea to choose many red bar roles because they can influence on your own tactical performance. So i would also like to get an explanation/opinion about this. Anyone?
It usually is, unless you're giving up a lot of tactical points in the process, in which case the amount you lower your opponent's score by will be offset by the amount you've lowered your own.

Quote:
And, speaking of small questions -
is it possible to stop receiving messages related to sorts of Division-III-B etc international tournaments?
Not right now, unfortunately. We'll definitely be adding more news filters to FHM4, and that one will be high on the list.

Quote:
when i simulate a match, who exactly of my assistants does in-game coaching instead of me?
It's primarily using the settings you've chosen for tactics/global tactics/line usage, etc., with some reference to your ratings/preference if you're playing as GM/Head Coach, or your Head Coach if you're playing GM-only. The assistants' ratings don't directly influence the AI's in-game choices.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
It usually is, unless you're giving up a lot of tactical points in the process, in which case the amount you lower your opponent's score by will be offset by the amount you've lowered your own.
What's your recommendation about using red bars that are provided by secondary roles?

Last edited by MarkLeo; 02-27-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
What's your recommendation about using red bars that are provided by secondary roles?
Usually worth it unless the role is something that I really don't want that specific player doing.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:35 AM   #7
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

One more question - I just noticed that there is an option i can "check" in my manager options: setting trainings. It seems like I can either give it to my assistant or assign myself. What does it mean exactly? Is there a training screen I can set trainings for my players? Because I can not find it. What does this option exactly influence on? And how? And what can I do if I "check" my name in there? Can I really train my players?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #8
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

When i play GM only, does the coach make logical choices based on tactics and personnel? In other words, if for example i'm GM of the Rangers, will the coach run a 'puck possession' style of play?
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:39 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
One more question - I just noticed that there is an option i can "check" in my manager options: setting trainings. It seems like I can either give it to my assistant or assign myself. What does it mean exactly? Is there a training screen I can set trainings for my players? Because I can not find it. What does this option exactly influence on? And how? And what can I do if I "check" my name in there? Can I really train my players?
You can see the training settings on the roster screen by switching the view (dropdown menu on the right) to Training. There's a section in the manual that explains how it works here. If you don't set the assistant to handle training, the game will expect you to allocate the training settings you'll find there (and if you don't, your players won't develop as quickly as they should.)