Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Automatic league evolution? (as seen in OOTP)

Just wondering if we will have the option to enable this in modern mode like in OOTP 13? New rule changes, expansions, relocations etc.. that come up randomly in future seasons.

Or will we only be able to do things like that manually, should we choose to do so?

Thanks!

Last edited by Habsfan18; 01-04-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

I would think that with the foundation that ootp has laid down, this wouldn't be a stretch for the initial release. It wouldn't be too hard to implement by yourself if its not buy because they are using historical and ootp engine, I would think it would be there. At least the teams coming into the league and games per season.
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
gekkoguy82
Minors (Single A)

Every so many years a player should have to negotiate a labor dispute!

I kid, of course.
gekkoguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I would be very surprised if it was in the game for the first version. I'm more than happy to edit things manually for the time being though.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I would be very surprised if it was in the game for the first version. I'm more than happy to edit things manually for the time being though.
I agree, this is one of the least important things for me. It can be interesting in future versions but not at all needed in the first one.
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Stealcompany
Minors (Triple A)

I really hope it doesn't have automatic league evolution. I find this a very annoying feature in OOTP when I'm playing fictional leagues.

I am all in favour of having as much control over the customization of league structure, schedules, rules and finances. Give me as much control as possible.

What i find irritating is finishing a season and some bizarre change like a 19-day DL is announced , or rosters are now 24 players or 26 for no obvious reason. And because I spend a lot of time creating my leagues, it bugs me no end to see a team moved across the country ( or worse to the same city) after a poor season or two.

What I would prefer is an in game announcement/event where league GMs get together each year in the off-season to discuss rule changes. It could also trigger news stories where rumours of a team moving is floated or stories about groups looking for expansion opportunities.

What would be helpful in historical leagues is having the opportunity to say yes or no to historical changes. An example would be when players no longer sat out all 2 minutes of a penalty once a powerplay goal had been scored. When i reach the point in time where the rule was adopted (late 50s) the game asks me if i want to institute the rule.

I don't mind changing things around but i want changes to fit into an overall storyline i'm building not just occur for the sake of something happening.
Stealcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
geckon
Hall Of Famer

In OOTP you can't switch the automatic development off? I'd expect it possible.
So would I expect the possibility to revert any automatic changes - isn't that doable with the commish mode?
As for game rules - they should be editable in FHM so if you don't like some change you should be able to revert it. Or am I wrong?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealcompany View Post
I really hope it doesn't have automatic league evolution. I find this a very annoying feature in OOTP when I'm playing fictional leagues.

I am all in favour of having as much control over the customization of league structure, schedules, rules and finances. Give me as much control as possible.

What i find irritating is finishing a season and some bizarre change like a 19-day DL is announced , or rosters are now 24 players or 26 for no obvious reason. And because I spend a lot of time creating my leagues, it bugs me no end to see a team moved across the country ( or worse to the same city) after a poor season or two.

What I would prefer is an in game announcement/event where league GMs get together each year in the off-season to discuss rule changes. It could also trigger news stories where rumours of a team moving is floated or stories about groups looking for expansion opportunities.

What would be helpful in historical leagues is having the opportunity to say yes or no to historical changes. An example would be when players no longer sat out all 2 minutes of a penalty once a powerplay goal had been scored. When i reach the point in time where the rule was adopted (late 50s) the game asks me if i want to institute the rule.

I don't mind changing things around but i want changes to fit into an overall storyline i'm building not just occur for the sake of something happening.
I'm asking if, like in OOTP 13, we can enable an automatic league evolution option. Which means, we can either go with that OR turn it off, so we can make decisions manually.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Empach
Minors (Double A)

I've never played OOTP but this automatic league evolution option sounds really cool. One thing that I always found a little disappointing in EHM was that nothing ever changed. No rule changes, cap changes, expansion etc. It made things pretty predictable.

I like the idea of trying to work with the same kind of challenges real GMs deal with. I'd definitely be interested in this in FHM at some point.

Using Commish mode to make the changes wouldn't be the same. It removes that unpredictable nature since you're making the choices yourself. Both feature are great for different reasons.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
geckon
Hall Of Famer

You can always use a dice ;-)
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In OOTP you can disable some or all of the changes that can happen through dynamic league evolution.

Quote:
What i find irritating is finishing a season and some bizarre change like a 19-day DL is announced , or rosters are now 24 players or 26 for no obvious reason.
I agree the changes do sometimes seem wholly arbitrary.

Quote:
I've been suggesting for a couple of years now the idea of interactive winter meetings where proposed changes are voted upon, giving the user the chance to vote yea or nay on the various suggested rule and other changes. Hasn't made it into OOTP yet but I'm going to keep suggesting the feature until it does.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Stealcompany
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for the feedback comrades.

What I should have made clear in the original post is that I always disable the automatic league evolution feature in OOTP because I find it often conflicts with how I want my league to progress. I do think it's a worthwhile option for folks who want it.

I do appreciate the historical version in OOTP where players come into the league and team names and locations change at appropriate times. It's great if I just want to run a historical recreation and see what happens.

I have to agree that EHM was too far in the other direction in that you couldn't change anything (at least not on the mac version as far as I was able to). That's one of the reasons I'm excited to see this new game. Having the customizability of OOTP should allow us to create unique and interesting universes (the Leafs might actually win a cup. Ha,ha,ha)
Stealcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
royalblue
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
I've been suggesting for a couple of years now the idea of interactive winter meetings where proposed changes are voted upon, giving the user the chance to vote yea or nay on the various suggested rule and other changes. Hasn't made it into OOTP yet but I'm going to keep suggesting the feature until it does.
This x 1,000,000
Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
That's a great idea! I hope that it eventually makes its way into ootp. For what i can tell as it stands now the winter meetings don't really serve a purpose in the game.

I only check off more offense in league evolution but then it really doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-05-2013 at 03:44 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree that this is a very nice idea. I would like to see something similar in FHM. Of course not in the first version (or the second...) but some day in the future it would be nice to have it.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

For any 'winter' meetings concept to work well (in either FHM or OOTP) it'd require accompanying news stories and articles before the meetings describing the proposed changes as well as the estimated level of support amongst the team owners, and then additional news stories afterwards describing the outcome of each vote, listing what proposals were passed and which defeated. (If you look at older newspapers or The Sporting News, you can find a fair amount of coverage on baseball's winter meetings.)

The estimated level of support for a rule change is to give the user a sense of how much their vote will matter to the outcome. If it seems a popular proposal, then it'd likely pass even without the user's affirmative vote; if it's a close matter, then the user's vote might be the one which decides the issue. (Of course, there should always be the chance that the estimate of the level of support for a given proposal is not the same as the actual amount of support, just to keep a bit of uncertainty to the proceedings.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

I know it seems like we are asking for a lot, but damn being able to enable/disable a feature like this would be pretty damn cool.

Hopefully if not in the first game, it will be a possibility for version 2!