Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Are you going to have doubleheaders/neutral site games?

That would be 4 teams ,2 games, same arena or two teams,one game or four teams,2 games ,same arena ,neutral site.

I plan on it. It will be interesting too see how easy this will be in the schedule editor.

Mostly bigger cities will host doubleheaders while smaller cities will host neutral site games. Some cities won't be big enough too support a full home schedule so they will be regional teams with various home sites.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 12-31-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Garethw87

This could also add the possibility of having a road team in a league maybe? Would be interesting
Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
This could also add the possibility of having a road team in a league maybe? Would be interesting
Back during the 1967-68 NHL season, the Flyers had a problem with their arena and played home games in Toronto,Quebec City and Madison Square Garden. They played the Seals on a Sunday afternoon in New York and it was the CBS game of the week,

In the early 1990s for a few seasons the NHL experimented with neutral site games . Remember Toronto playing San Jose in Hamilton and the Islanders played the Rangers in Portland,Oregon,possibly the strangest ever neutral site game.

It was common practice in the NBA during the 1960s too play neutral site and doubleheaders. Philadelphia 76ers played many a home game in MSG. I remember one game at MSG where both teams showed up in their road uniforms and one team was made to change at half time.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 12-31-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Back during the 1967-68 NHL season, the Flyers had a problem with their arena and played home games in Toronto,Quebec City and Madison Square Garden. They played the Seals on a Sunday afternoon in New York and it was the CBS game of the week,

In the early 1990s for a few seasons the NHL experimented with neutral site games . Remember Toronto playing San Jose in Hamilton and the Islanders played the Rangers in Portland,oregon,possibly the strangest ever neutral site game.

It was common practice in the NBA during the 1960s too play neutral site and doubleheaders. Philadelphia 76ers played many a home game in MSG. I remember one game at MSG where both teams showed up in their road uniforms and one team was made to change at half time.
I love stuff like this. Playing in netural venues. You can host games in Europe, or North America, or even in a new city where you might want to expand to. Checking that the interest is there. Personally I'll be wanting to host the Cup finals at a neutral venue
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
I love stuff like this. Playing in netural venues. You can host games in Europe, or North America, or even in a new city where you might want to expand to. Checking that the interest is there. Personally I'll be wanting to host the Cup finals at a neutral venue
Alot of NHL teams have their AHL affliate play a home game or two in their arena. Don't know if thats going on this year because of the lockout. Grand Rapids was going to play the Toronto Marlies at Comerica Park,Detroit but was cancelled because of the lockout.

Wilt Chamberlain scored his 100 point game at a neutral site. Cincinnati Royals and Detroit Pistons played many home games in Cleveland during the 1960s.
Another weird doubleheader,neutral site story comes from the ABA where the Oaklland Oaks and LA Stars signed an ironclawed contract to play doubleheaders during one season. Oakland had moved to Washington DC during the off season and still played the doubleheaders. One night 4 teams would play 2 games in LA and the next night they flyed across country to play a doubleheader in Washington DC. Remember the Capitols because of the cost,stayed on the west coast and played host to a doubleheader in Fresno,California.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Another interesting aspect about neutral site games-will it take the home field advantage away from the one team or will it be considered as an away game for both teams.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

In another thread it was stated that the schedule file format for FHM is largely identical to OOTP's except that it also has an "arena" field where you can specify the arena in which that game is taking place. This was added specifically to accommodate neutral site games.

As to two games on the same day, presumably the games also have start times assigned to them (as in OOTP schedule files), in which case you should be able to schedule one game for the afternoon and another for the evening.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
In another thread it was stated that the schedule file format for FHM is largely identical to OOTP's except that it also has an "arena" field where you can specify the arena in which that game is taking place. This was added specifically to accommodate neutral site games.

As to two games on the same day, presumably the games also have start times assigned to them (as in OOTP schedule files), in which case you should be able to schedule one game for the afternoon and another for the evening.
With OOTP13 you could edit the start times. Hopefully thats the case with FHM. My plan is for two games,one admission. Unless three teams share the same arena and if one wants to play an early afternoon game,there would be time later for a doubleheader.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Global Hockey Leagues Boston Breakers have announced their neutral site(designated home team ) schedule(dates too be determined): *-first game of doubleheader

vs Philadelphia Stars @ New York(MSG) *
vs New England Shamrocks @ Springfield,MASS
vs Providence Pirates @ Portland,Maine
vs Baltimore Bullets @ Detroit *
vs Chicago Mustangs @ Minneapolis,MN
vs Detroit Lightning @ Baltimore *
vs Denver Rockets @ Pittsburgh,PA
vs New York Skyliners @ Philadelphia,PA *
vs Washington Diplomats @ Detroit *
vs Los Angeles Jets @ Detroit *
vs Syracuse Federals @ New York(MSG) *
vs Toronto Huskies @ Montreal
vs Oakland Clippers @ Cincinnati

GHLs New England Shamrocks have announced an 18 neutral site game(designated home team ) schedule. Highlights include 3 first games of doubleheaders in Philadelphia(a hotbed for GHL hockey-don't be jealous) against Syracuse Federals;Buffalo Braves and Boston Breakers. Madison Square Garden will have the pleasure of hosting NE Shamrocks first games of a doubleheader against San Francisco Saints and Baltimore Bullets.

GHLs Baltimore Bullets will play 16 (home game) neutral site games -including 3 first games of a doubleheader in Philadelphia against New York Skyliners,Boston Breakers and Detroit Lightning. Detroit's Cobo Arena will host 3 Bullet home games against Los Angeles Jets,San Francisco Saints and Oakland Clippers.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 01-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Federal Hockey Association has released its neutral site schedule. The following will be first games of a doubleheader at Madison Square Garden. NY Knights are the host team .Second games and the dates too be announced:

Boston Beacons vs New Jersey Americans
Boston Beacons vs Philadelphia Atoms
Houston Apollos vs Philadelphia Atoms
New Jersey Americans vs Philadelphia Atoms
Minnesota Muskies vs Philadelphia Atoms
Boston Beacons vs Rhode Island Eagles
Philadelphia Atoms vs Rhode Island Eagles
Buffalo Bisons vs Long Island Ducks
Philadelphia Atoms vs Long Island Ducks
Boston Beacons vs Long Island Ducks
Minnesota Muskies vs Long Island Ducks
St. Paul Pioneers vs Long Island Ducks
Boston Beacons vs Philadelphia Warriors
Chicago Fire vs Philadelphia Warriors
New England Blizzard vs Philadelphia Warriors
Philadelphia Warriors vs Boston Beacons
Philadelphia Atoms vs Boston Beacons
Michigan Panthers vs Boston Beacons

First game-5pm; Second game-815pm
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Talking of schedules, I've started work on writing my own schedule converter. So you can write your entire schedule in Excel (or import it into Excel from a free site such as this) and then my converter will generate the appropriate FHM schedule file. I don't know how arenas will be handled yet, but I can add that bit later.

Last edited by archibalduk; 01-02-2013 at 05:09 AM.
archibalduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
Talking of schedules, I've started work on writing my own schedule converter. So you can write your entire schedule in Excel (or import it into Excel from a free site such as this) and then my converter will generate the appropriate FHM schedule file. I don't know how arenas will be handled yet, but I can add that bit later.
I'm just wondering about the FHM computer gernerated schedules, if all the teams will play on the same day or it will be the NHL and some teams play and some teams don't. Back in the 1960s,before expansion,it was written in stone which days teams would have home games.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
grindline
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
This could potentially be a huge tool for novices to OOTP (like me) who want to have a go at restructuring the NHL.
grindline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

The KHL(North America) will have 14 neutral site games in Chicago:

Utah Grizzlies vs Detroit Cougars
Detroit Cougars vs Los Angeles Aztecs
Boston Braves vs Cincinnati Tigers
Anaheim Amigos vs Cincinnati Tigers
Philadelphia Spartans vs Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs
New York Arrows vs Denver Bears
Boston Braves vs Denver Bears
Utah Grizzlies vs Colorado Gold Miners
Montreal Voyaguers vs Colorado Gold Miners
Michigan Stags vs Utah Grizzlies
Detroit Cougars vs Utah Grizzlies
Boston Braves vs Utah Grizzlies
Detroit Cougars vs Fort Worth Wings
Carolina Cougars vs Fort Worth Wings
Old 01-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You don't even need a special conversion app to do it. For OOTP schedule files I have an Excel file which takes the raw layout and, via some simple formulas in Excel, converts the data into the appropriate format for OOTP's schedule files (i.e. changes dates to day numbers, city names into team ID numbers, and so forth). After that it's a matter of copying that reformatted data out of Excel and pasting it into a prepared text file, saving that, then changing the file name extension. It's quicker than it may sound from the description

I expect something similar can be done for FHM's schedule files.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
You don't even need a special conversion app to do it. For OOTP schedule files I have an Excel file which takes the raw layout and, via some simple formulas in Excel, converts the data into the appropriate format for OOTP's schedule files (i.e. changes dates to day numbers, city names into team ID numbers, and so forth). After that it's a matter of copying that reformatted data out of Excel and pasting it into a prepared text file, saving that, then changing the file name extension. It's quicker than it may sound from the description

I expect something similar can be done for FHM's schedule files.
Absolutely! I don't think your Excel file will need all that much modification to be made compatible with FHM. Although I personally prefer writing a tool to do it because then I don't have to fiddle with formulae and macros!

Maybe once the game is released, we could put your Excel file and my tool in the same zip file? Then users can get the best of both worlds.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Absolutely! I don't think your Excel file will need all that much modification to be made compatible with FHM. Although I personally prefer writing a tool to do it because then I don't have to fiddle with formulae and macros!
If I could program, I'd probably do the same. I can't, so I have to work with what I can.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
batdad
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Global Hockey Leagues Boston Breakers have announced their neutral site(designated home team ) schedule(dates too be determined): *-first game of doubleheader

vs Philadelphia Stars @ New York(MSG) *
vs New England Shamrocks @ Springfield,MASS
vs Providence Pirates @ Portland,Maine
vs Baltimore Bullets @ Detroit *
vs Chicago Mustangs @ Minneapolis,MN
vs Detroit Lightning @ Baltimore *
vs Denver Rockets @ Pittsburgh,PA
vs New York Skyliners @ Philadelphia,PA *
vs Washington Diplomats @ Detroit *
vs Los Angeles Jets @ Detroit *
vs Syracuse Federals @ New York(MSG) *
vs Toronto Huskies @ Montreal
vs Oakland Clippers @ Cincinnati

GHLs New England Shamrocks have announced an 18 neutral site game(designated home team ) schedule. Highlights include 3 first games of doubleheaders in Philadelphia(a hotbed for GHL hockey-don't be jealous) against Syracuse Federals;Buffalo Braves and Boston Breakers. Madison Square Garden will have the pleasure of hosting NE Shamrocks first games of a doubleheader against San Francisco Saints and Baltimore Bullets.

GHLs Baltimore Bullets will play 6 (home game) neutral site games -including 3 first games of a doubleheader in Philadelphia against New York Skyliners,Boston Breakers and Detroit Lightning. Detroit's Cobo Arena will host 3 Bullet home games against Los Angeles Jets,San Francisco Saints and Oakland Clippers.

This sounds awesome and all, but maybe you could try and restrict your league constructions to one thread? That way people who are in love with it and want to copy you can find things a little more easily? And those who may not be interested, don't have to see it everywhere?
batdad is offline   Reply With Quote