Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 06-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
zonk84
Minors (Triple A)

The problem with quick starts...

Initially - I thought the QuickStart feature would be something I'd love... but -- I'm afraid I'm puzzled about why it even exists.

Essentially - it seems no different than just making a backup copy of your *.lg folder.

I play with real MLB teams/logos/leagues/etc - and have added ML parks and park effects. What it seems like I should be able to do -- after getting all this setup done -- is save as a quick start.

Then - loading a quick start implements the rules, names, logos, and league structures -- BUT regenerating players and coaches.

Call it silly, call it an exploit, call it whatever... I don't like to straight away edit my coaches and players, but there are certain....qualities... I look for in my inaugural draft - and if I don't like the initial class I'd like to just be able to snap regenerate the players and coaches.

However - QS doesn't seem to work this way... It just basically copies my old league into a new league.

I've been trying to get by doing what I always did since ootp3 - keeping a "template" league, then creating a new 'chaff' league file -- then copying certain *.dat files from my old league to new.

However - with the new scouting system, this no longer works. Since there are certain "tied" components (the scouting file, for example... don't keep the scouts, the scouting, and players files together -- you get no initial scouting reports). Additionally -- I'm getting an awful lot of crashes.

No doubt - some (if not all) of my crashes are caused by it not being a good idea to mix and match these dat files the way I do....

But I'm dying here - the alternative is to literally spend hours retyping team/league names, retying logos to teams, re-entering park effects, resetting stadiums, etc.

PPLLLLLEEEAAASSEEEE investigate the possiblity of accomdating this - simply providing an option for quick starts to "Regenerate Players and Personnel" would make me eternally grateful.
zonk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
jps42
Bat Boy

I am in absolute and total agreement here. I just downloaded the quickstart with all real players/teams/logos. What I'd like to do is release everyone and have a draft (sort of like the NHL last year). Doesn't seem possible.

In addition, I enjoy setting up a vast universe (fictional) with a lot of leagues, play it for a while, and eventually start over with a new draft/players.

At this point, if I want the same league structure with fresh fictional players, I need to retype all the team names, redo the logos, etc. etc.

One last thing: coaches and scouts. The old OOTP deal with hiring and drafting everyone (each team is a clean slate) is not available anymore, at least from what I can figure out.

It seems the problem here is too much connection between the league structure and the player/coach/scout databases. One can't be done and saved without the other.

Customization where my league structure and universe can be templated, and my rosters and staff either imported or created anew appears impossible, and it was one of the best things in the previous versions of OOTP. Now I'm relegated to retyping, pasting, etc everything and still can never actually have a draft of real players, or "draft" of personnel to create a fresh environment.

Its possible some of the modding gurus know ways of accomplishing these goals that I am completely overlooking. Any help?
jps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Zweiblumen
Major Leagues

I agree, I was hoping quickstarts were just league structure....it annoys me that the players are included. I want the true MLB structure but with fictional players, and none of the MLB quickstarts are going to help me, I fear.
Zweiblumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

You need to save as a quickstart as soon as you finish creating the universe. I was able to save mine prior to the initial draft. However, the player pool is the same, and in two drafts my team (auto)selected the same guy in the first round.
jbsnadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweiblumen
I agree, I was hoping quickstarts were just league structure....it annoys me that the players are included. I want the true MLB structure but with fictional players, and none of the MLB quickstarts are going to help me, I fear.
Is this what you are looking for? http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=120278
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote