Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Garrett and the Cowboys

Is it me or does the Cowboys seem like a broken record with a dull needle. Seems every year the Cowboys are expected to be a contender and Garrett's job is safe. Now being down to the Jets at halftime, this may be just me, but I think this has finally run it's course. Maybe the Boys come back, but it just seems to me that the Cowboys and Garrett just spin their wheels.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
Is it me or does the Cowboys seem like a broken record with a dull needle. Seems every year the Cowboys are expected to be a contender and Garrett's job is safe. Now being down to the Jets at halftime, this may be just me, but I think this has finally run it's course. Maybe the Boys come back, but it just seems to me that the Cowboys and Garrett just spin their wheels.
It is not just you...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

If I had a dollar every time I heard the phrase "Garrett's job is safe" or "Garrett's job is safe for now", I'd have more money than God!
Old 10-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Dallas & Washington have the same consistent problem. And it is with the people who sign the checks.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

How Garrett wasn't fired at 5am today like Gruden is just baffling!
What. Is. Jerry. Waiting. On.? Garrett has lost the team, the fans.
BTW, I'm a Chiefs fan, so this has nothing to do with me, but Helloooo?!
Old 10-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
If I had a dollar every time I heard the phrase "Garrett's job is safe" or "Garrett's job is safe for now", I'd have more money than God!
You could put Skip Bayless up there as well. Skip is the only guy that could watch Dak Prescott go 7-21 101 yds 1td 4int and still say he is the best qb in football. He would say that 1 td shows me the potential in Prescott.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Can't believe I'm saying this, as I wish every week Garrett would be fired, butttt

neither tackle was active, the #3 and #4 WR were inactive and Cooper left after 1 drive. I can't reallllly put this loss on the offense. Giving up 24 points to the Jets is not great.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones was asked on @1053thefan if Jason Garrett is on the hot seat: “Absolutely not. This team just needs to get a win under its belt. I still think we can have a great year. I feel good about it. Feel great about Jason and his staff.”

I believe I started this thread with a reference to a broken record and a dull needle?
Old 10-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Fortunately for the Cowboys, they are in the NFC East. Washington is only 2 games out of 1st.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #10
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

Garret situation isn't like the Gruden situation at all. He got 57.6% winning percentage to Gruden's 41.8% with Washington. Also Washington was at a situation where they have to completely give up this year with the 0-5 start and a horrible team. Dallas has an average team in a horrible division, which gives them a decent chance for playoffs.

There really isn't much to be accomplished by firing Garret right now. If they lost to Eagles the next game, firing would then be much more justified, since their playoff chance would be greatly impacted with a bye week also coming up.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #11
Cod
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, as I wish every week Garrett would be fired, butttt

neither tackle was active, the #3 and #4 WR were inactive and Cooper left after 1 drive. I can't reallllly put this loss on the offense. Giving up 24 points to the Jets is not great.
That's not a good reason. After the Cowboys run in 2009, Wade Philips was fired half-way through a season in which Tony Romo missed 5-6 of those. I don't see a difference.

On a similar note, the local sports radio stations in DFW were hammering Jason Garrett today. It was something serious.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
vrobx1
Hall Of Famer

Jerry's hand picked man.

That is what Garrett is.

Remember, Garrett was originally hired by Jerry to be the OC even before Wade was hired as head coach.

Firing Jason Garrett would mean Jerry would have to admit failure. Jerry's ego never allows him to do that.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk
vrobx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:12 AM   #13
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
That's not a good reason. After the Cowboys run in 2009, Wade Philips was fired half-way through a season in which Tony Romo missed 5-6 of those. I don't see a difference.
Wade Philips wasn't fired until November when the team was 1-7. So by Wade Philips standard, Garret still shouldn't be fired yet.

Really there isn't point firing him now. Fire him after the team has to start planning for next year. That's what Wade Philips got, and the sensible way for any team to handle the situation.

Last edited by Skipaway; 10-15-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Skipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Mike Tomlin would make a good replacement for Garrett in Dallas. Anything to get him out of Pittsburgh.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #15
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

I hated to see Wade go, especially for Jerry's yes-man. That's exactly what Garrett is, I agree and also why he's so hard to get rid of. But the two best coaches Dallas has had since 1990 were Jimmy and Parcells and Jerry argued with them constantly. Dallas has had a lot of luck in the draft since Stephen Jones took his dad out of the decision making process there but Garrett is basically Marvin Lewis or Jeff Fisher in my opinion
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote