Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 12-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #61
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Given that this was originally billed as "exactly the same game with a new name," I'm impressed that you all took the time to make some improvements to whet the thistle of those who might be curious enough to support you all in the interim and at $5, that's cheaper than a value meal at a fast food joint. So that was smart too.

Dunno if I'll upgrade since I don't use CATO, but I'm still impressed.

Good work in any case. I'd much rather have new features than worry about replacing some text and stuff that if it's really important for someone to remove, they can do it themselves using a few mods that already exist.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #62
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Another way to put it would have been "SI clutter."
It's obvious that you are an alias for...Eugene Church.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #63
magnet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Given that this was originally billed as "exactly the same game with a new name," I'm impressed that you all took the time to make some improvements to whet the thistle of those who might be curious enough to support you all in the interim and at $5, that's cheaper than a value meal at a fast food joint. So that was smart too.

Dunno if I'll upgrade since I don't use CATO, but I'm still impressed.

Good work in any case. I'd much rather have new features than worry about replacing some text and stuff that if it's really important for someone to remove, they can do it themselves using a few mods that already exist.
Really smart to tell your customers that it will be the same as OOTP 2007, then turning around, adding a new feature or 2, and stamping a pricetag on it. $20 or $5, we were left in the dark on this, and as someone who already bought this year's version, I am not exactly happy about being asked to pay for a patch.
magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #64
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
I am not exactly happy about being asked to pay for a patch.
I didn't buy 6.51 back in the day because of this. Did you?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #65
magnet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
I didn't buy 6.51 back in the day because of this. Did you?
I definitely did not buy 6.51.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #66
Lastplaneout
Minors (Triple A)

Does the MLB quickstart come with player stats, history, records, etc?

These would be be a huge selling point for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso1515
not to seem mean or homphobic or anything, lastplaneout but, are you gay?
Lastplaneout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #67
Kaitiaki
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxford View Post
Does it create lahman-style csvs as first stated? So a Lahman import doesn't suffer from the AL/NL problem anymore?
Yes, the Cato Converter does use Lahman-style CSVs. Never having used Lahman, I'm not sure what the AL/NL problem that you're referring to is. If you want to spell that out for me, I'll try to answer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWK View Post
Are you saying that we can use the Catobase with the new version?
If you mean "can you export data from OOTP8 to Catobase like you could with OOTP6", then no. This allows you to import your Cato data into OOTP8 so that you can convert your league from OOTP6 to OOTP8, leaving Cato itself behind for good, without losing all that precious history information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Andreas, one of the many meanings of crap is clutter. The use of the word was in no way intended as a shot at SI (even though I am not fond of SI).

Another way to put it would have been "SI clutter."
Then I'm afraid you might be misunderstanding the intent, here: it was not to replace the SI-themed items with "white space" - it was to replace them with something that uses just as much space but doesn't involve the letters S or I. To use a completely hypothetical example, SION might have become FBON (Fictional Baseball Online Network).

I just want to put that out there to hopefully avoid potential disappointment with OOTP9.

- Kai
Old 12-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #68
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I definitely did not buy 6.51.
Thank you for you answer. I think I understand where your are coming from.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #69
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastplaneout View Post
Does the MLB quickstart come with player stats, history, records, etc?

These would be be a huge selling point for me.
Down to the lowest levels. Ever wonder who is the career HR leader for the Dayton Dragons? This set will tell you.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #70
Lastplaneout
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
Down to the lowest levels. Ever wonder who is the career HR leader for the Dayton Dragons? This set will tell you.
Fantastic! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso1515
not to seem mean or homphobic or anything, lastplaneout but, are you gay?
Lastplaneout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #71
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

You don't realy have to upgrade, you are not being forced. If you want to use the cato conversion tool (one time thing for most people), get the demo, copy your league file over, do conversion and copy it back to 2007. There saved you $5.

Markus and co work hard at this stuff and probably don't make near as much as we think they do. This is not a big game company so is an extra $5 a big deal? Seriously! Just don't eat out for lunch one day, or whatever.

And as far as SION goes, big freaking deal. The game is a lot further advanced for their breif partnership with SI. I am sure they took away a lot of valuable knowledge.

Think of SION as something other than Sports Interactive if that has your panties in a bunch.

I will gladly fork over $5 or $20 if it means Markus wil continue to make this product. If he gave up, then we would have to go to puresim or mogul to get our fix, and frankly, I would rather OOTP anyday.

RBLwebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #72
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitiaki View Post
Yes, the Cato Converter does use Lahman-style CSVs. Never having used Lahman, I'm not sure what the AL/NL problem that you're referring to is. If you want to spell that out for me, I'll try to answer it.

- Kai
I was under the impression that the Lahman import in 2007 could only cope with a file base that came with AL and NL as the league abbreviations. Obviously to do that with a 6.5 league that aren't called AL/NL would cause problems.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #73
ShaneCarson
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
The OS X release will be early next week. I'm really sorry that we couldn't get it done at the same time. But to release both games at the same time we would have to wait with the PC release until next week, and would that make any sense?
A week for an OS X release is like releasing it at the same time practically. Us Mac users are used to waiting months for ports! Thanks for the support!
ShaneCarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #74
magnet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLwebguy View Post
You don't realy have to upgrade, you are not being forced. If you want to use the cato conversion tool (one time thing for most people), get the demo, copy your league file over, do conversion and copy it back to 2007. There saved you $5.

Markus and co work hard at this stuff and probably don't make near as much as we think they do. This is not a big game company so is an extra $5 a big deal? Seriously! Just don't eat out for lunch one day, or whatever.

And as far as SION goes, big freaking deal. The game is a lot further advanced for their breif partnership with SI. I am sure they took away a lot of valuable knowledge.

Think of SION as something other than Sports Interactive if that has your panties in a bunch.

I will gladly fork over $5 or $20 if it means Markus wil continue to make this product. If he gave up, then we would have to go to puresim or mogul to get our fix, and frankly, I would rather OOTP anyday.

No, there is no coercion, you are correct in that. And I agree that OOTP is miles ahead of Puresim and Mogul, but that doesn't mean we should have to pay for a patched version of the current game. Like I said, the only "real" new feature is the Milestone tracker, which IMO, is not worth $5. :shrug:
Old 12-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #75
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was under the impression that the Lahman import in 2007 could only cope with a file base that came with AL and NL as the league abbreviations. Obviously to do that with a 6.5 league that aren't called AL/NL would cause problems.
Using the cato converter CSV utility that Ryan W came up with and the import cato history feature of OOTP8, I was able to convert my fictional league with very little effort and my league abbr are EH and WH.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #76
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, there is no coercion, you are correct in that. And I agree that OOTP is miles ahead of Puresim and Mogul, but that doesn't mean we should have to pay for a patched version of the current game. Like I said, the only "real" new feature is the Milestone tracker, which IMO, is not worth $5. :shrug:
CATO, which agreed is probably not a big deal to everyone, as a lot of effort to create.

No one is forcing you to upgrade for the sake of a milestone tracker or new splash look. I imagine the milestone tracker will be carried over into OOTP9, so wait if you must or buy if you want OOTP8
Old 12-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #77
Kaitiaki
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Cato Converter can certainly handle other abbreviations - I've done my league, and it uses AL and YL.

I don't know if Markus touched the historical-import code in relation to this...the Cato import is a completely separate button from the other functions, so my blind guess would be that nothing has changed in regard to other imports, but Markus would have to confirm that.

- Kai
Old 12-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #78
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Using the cato converter CSV utility that Ryan W came up with and the import cato history feature of OOTP8, I was able to convert my fictional league with very little effort and my league abbr are EH and WH.
That's good. I wonder how it'll cope with something like the USBA where they'd started moving history over using my programs. I guess someone like HerbD would have to try it out, but I guess my stuff may have left it in a position that the Cato importer will mess it up with potential duplications. My profuse apologies to the USBA if that turns out to be the case.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #79
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

I don't know about anyone else, but if I were to complain about shelling out another $5 for a few more features of a game that I love, I would be one of the biggest hypocrites here. I can't even think of what I have spent $5 on lately that has or will give me more enjoyment than a few bug fixes and improvements to a game I absolutely love.

for instance, I just paid for two coffees I bought for myself and my wife this morning cost ~$4.75. The extra beers I bought my friends when we were out last night probably cost me $20. All of those thing have been consumed already and the thrill is gone.

Compare that to hours and hours more baseball enjoyment in the offseason when I am generally playing football games, and the fact that the money is going to help out one of my favorite game developers, and it isn't a big deal to me.

So I've decided I'm not going to act like I am some ultra-ideallistic, ultra-frugal consumer when it come to this situation, because, basically, I'm not one.

my

Last edited by silvam14; 12-08-2007 at 03:05 PM.
silvam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #80
magnet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
CATO, which agreed is probably not a big deal to everyone, as a lot of effort to create.

No one is forcing you to upgrade for the sake of a milestone tracker or new splash look. I imagine the milestone tracker will be carried over into OOTP9, so wait if you must or buy if you want OOTP8
Of course no one is forcing me. Does this REALLY need to be said? No guys, Markus is in my home with a gun to my head and his hand on my wallet.