Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-22-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
Justmeingardner
Minors (Single A)

Question How to set ticket prices?

I'm sure it's something simple I'm overlooking, but can anybody help me figure out how to set ticket prices? Been able to do it in other versions of the game...I'm playing as GM and MGR if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.
Am LOVING OOTP 16...been playing since 5, but this is just AMAZING!
Justmeingardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmeingardner View Post
I'm sure it's something simple I'm overlooking, but can anybody help me figure out how to set ticket prices? Been able to do it in other versions of the game...I'm playing as GM and MGR if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.
Am LOVING OOTP 16...been playing since 5, but this is just AMAZING!
Been wondering myself. I think (not sure) it might be something that can only be set in the offseason or preseason now.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:55 AM   #3
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

You should be able to click on the $ sign on the side menu on the bottom right. From there you should be able to find the ticket prices.
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #4
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

They can't be altered though. That's the thing.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Old 03-22-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
They can't be altered though. That's the thing.
Huh, don't think I've ever noticed that before. I wonder if that's something that was changed. Doesn't seem to make sense that you can't change the prices during the year especially if your team sucks and you want more fans to show up.
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #6
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh24 View Post
Huh, don't think I've ever noticed that before. I wonder if that's something that was changed. Doesn't seem to make sense that you can't change the prices during the year especially if your team sucks and you want more fans to show up.
The addition of season tickets is probably why.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:50 AM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yup, it was changed to only set them in the off-season, before the winter meetings end, and they're locked in for the season. Up to you to pick a reasonable ticket price for the season.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
cdidman
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yup, it was changed to only set them in the off-season, before the winter meetings end, and they're locked in for the season. Up to you to pick a reasonable ticket price for the season.
Like the pitchers warming up getting tired after 40 pitches, another change that makes no sense. Why on earth would this have been changed in the game? So if we want to try and certain ticket price and the fans don't like it and our attendance is hurt, we can't change it during the season to correct a mistake? How about at playoff time? From what you are saying, you can't raise ticket prices during the playoffs either?
cdidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdidman View Post
Like the pitchers warming up getting tired after 40 pitches, another change that makes no sense. Why on earth would this have been changed in the game? So if we want to try and certain ticket price and the fans don't like it and our attendance is hurt, we can't change it during the season to correct a mistake? How about at playoff time? From what you are saying, you can't raise ticket prices during the playoffs either?
It was stated elsewhere that internally ticket prices are doubled for the playoffs.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Personally I like both changes. You can't keep pitchers warmed up without tiring them, and ticket prices do get set before the season so that people can buy tickets for future games. I realize that your mileage varies here, but this is the exact kind of increased realism that I have been looking for in OOTP and I'm glad to see it.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #11
Lou Gehrig
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I realize that your mileage varies here, but this is the exact kind of increased realism that I have been looking for in OOTP and I'm glad to see it.
I feel the same way.
Maybe the fatigue might need to be tweaked but that's it.
July 4, 1939

www.alsa.org
Lou Gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually it makes perfect sense so I'm not entirely sure where this "no sense" nonsense comes from.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #13
cdidman
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
Actually it makes perfect sense so I'm not entirely sure where this "no sense" nonsense comes from.
The no sense comes from all over the place in MLB they are doing tiered pricing, meaning they offer tickets for a group of teams at one price, then another tier of pricing for the same tickets, but with just better teams. In Miami they call it Dynamic Pricing meaning they have the right to adjust ticket pricing based on teams, demand, star players, standings, rivalries and even the day of the week. So this means teams are changing the ticket prices all the time and at any time they want.

That's why if you are looking for OOTP to keep going in the direction of realism that they do so well at, I don't understand why they would move to taking away being able to change ticket prices or add pitchers tiring in the bull pen warming up.

It's not a big deal at all, just surprised me is all.

Last edited by cdidman; 03-22-2015 at 06:04 PM.
cdidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #14
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The no sense comes from all over the place in MLB they are doing tiered pricing, meaning they offer tickets for a group of teams at one price, then another tier of pricing for the same tickets, but with just better teams. In Miami they call it Dynamic Pricing meaning they have the right to adjust ticket pricing based on teams, demand, star players, standings, rivalries and even the day of the week. So this means teams are changing the ticket prices all the time and at any time they want.

That's why if you are looking for OOTP to keep going in the direction of realism that they do so well at, I don't understand why they would move to taking away being able to change ticket prices or add pitchers tiring in the bull pen warming up.

It's not a big deal at all, just surprised me is all.
Your argument is based on the concept that OOTP's pricing represents reality in any sort of way. It doesn't. It never has. It is an abstraction and always has been.

The way it now works ensures the player cannot game the system to their advantage. I'm completely fine with that.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:00 AM   #15
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

During the beta, I remember a few people mentioned how this is a game-saver for an online league, where teams were constantly gaming the system, especially around playoff time.

Yes, the current system is certainly a simplification of real world data. We can certainly look into ways in later versions to be able to adjust things - maybe something simple like "slash ticket prices", which will adjust ticket prices down for the rest of the season, but may come with other consequences. And if more and more teams do end up moving to a more dynamic pricing scheme, we can certainly look into the best way to adjust that - It could even be something simple like you deciding whether you want dynamic pricing or not, and the game internally would adjust attendance and revenues for the game accordingly.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #16
congotim
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Rather than dictate how every league do this, why not just add a second checkbox for dynamic pricing? If you want to allow teams to be able to adjust prices all year, it's a checkbox. Gaming the system is not an issue in my league but now teams are stuck with a financial setup they didn't even know was coming. Rebuilding teams are stuck with high ticket prices and no attendance. I am able to adjust for them manually, but that's a pain for me when it was something that was so simple before.
congotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #17
Shadoshryke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
During the beta, I remember a few people mentioned how this is a game-saver for an online league, where teams were constantly gaming the system, especially around playoff time.

Yes, the current system is certainly a simplification of real world data. We can certainly look into ways in later versions to be able to adjust things - maybe something simple like "slash ticket prices", which will adjust ticket prices down for the rest of the season, but may come with other consequences. And if more and more teams do end up moving to a more dynamic pricing scheme, we can certainly look into the best way to adjust that - It could even be something simple like you deciding whether you want dynamic pricing or not, and the game internally would adjust attendance and revenues for the game accordingly.
Out of curiosity I did a bit of a google search on different MLB team "Average Ticket Price". I found a site that gave the past few decades of calculated average prices for pre-season, season and post season playoffs) tickets. I pulled up my MLB 2016 setup and found that the tickets for most of the teams were right in line with that average.

You can do a pull of total average or just by team. For a brand new major league level team setting, the price per ticket matches the national average ticket pre-season, and scales by fan base, just as RL does.

So, though it may not be exact, it does a pretty good job of pulling the average of the statistical information available.

So, when I set up a new game that is suppose to have some realism based off of RL, I just hop on google, search up the "average ticket price for [team]", and then adjust the tickets in preseason to the average of those teams. Works out well, and I adjust based on their performance in the previous year for the next year.

Just for fun, the key site I use, Statista.com, shows that the average MLB ticket price per game is actually $31.82 currently.

? Average ticket price for a MLB game by team 2015 | Statistic
Shadoshryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #18
Shadoshryke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by congotim View Post
Rather than dictate how every league do this, why not just add a second checkbox for dynamic pricing? If you want to allow teams to be able to adjust prices all year, it's a checkbox. Gaming the system is not an issue in my league but now teams are stuck with a financial setup they didn't even know was coming. Rebuilding teams are stuck with high ticket prices and no attendance. I am able to adjust for them manually, but that's a pain for me when it was something that was so simple before.
You get into the challenge, with dynamic pricing, of having to work in additional calculations. If you get too dynamic, you have a lot more algorithms that become needed to work out the portions for each team based playing. Then do you play into those that want to have season ticket prices and tiered prices, and have the system calculate all of the results based on total ticket value for two different priced teams (say a base $27 plays a base $52 team).

That just increases the chance of errors and bugs in the financial system. I think working off of an "average" works in the overall statistical model of this type of game.

There is a good median for the whole thing. I know you consider the team rebuilding, but I have really messed around with prices in one league, and found that in OOTP, pricing doesn't seem to affect fan base attendance like that. I modified a team from $20 to $75 ticket price, and attendance had more to do with their performance and fan base than ticket price in this game.

Last edited by Shadoshryke; 04-20-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Shadoshryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #19
bunkscene
Minors (Single A)

I think it would be interesting to be able to adjust prices mid season.

I like the ability to set the price before the season, as this is what happens in real life. I don't think we need dynamic pricing because the ticket price is just average ticket price. I also like the addition of season tickets.

I think it would be nice to add a couple features:
  1. Show all advance ticket sales per game based on team popularity/Market/projected record/etc. This could be dynamic over the season based on real life trends. (colder vs warmer months, weekend for weeknight, day/night, early vs late season).
  2. Add ability to add discounts to the the tickets in season. If there are unsold seats due to either too high price or the team is not doing well, you can try to get fans in the seats with discounts. This mimics real life.
bunkscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #20
Friendly_Beaver
Minors (Single A)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the idea that you can change your ticket prices mid season making things more realistic is absurd.

Has a team ever changed their prices mid season? How would they even handle that, give a refund to people who bought tickets in advance/season ticket holders? I can't see this ever happening, sure they do some giveaways and packages where you buy tickets you get a hotdog/drink with it etc but I've never heard of a team saying, we jacked our prices way out of line this year so we will reduce them for the rest of the year and if they did, the person who made that decision (you) probably wouldn't have a job anymore.

In my opinion if you made the prices too high that's your own fault, if you raised prices with low fan interest and loyalty and knowing you weren't going to have a good team that's not OOTP's fault.
Friendly_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote