Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

The 2020 New York Mets

The 2020 New York Mets – presented by SNY*

*SNY stands for Soul-Crunching, Nauseating, Yearning for the better days. Do not follow if you’re pregnant or have chronic heart conditions. Ask your doctor whether the Mets are the right team for you.

+++

[Spring Training in Port St. Lucie ends. The 26 Metsies about to be taken north to Washington are huddled up for a group photo. The photographer is a way too French middle-aged man with sunglasses, man bun, and an aggressively pink pullover flung over his shoulders.]

Photographer (claps hands repeatedly): Allez, allez! Closer together, monsieurs! Oll ‘ave to fit on the photó!
Michael Wacha (in the huddle): Something’s wrong. I think I’m standing on something.
Robinson Cano: Yes. My foot.
Michael Wacha: Oh, so sorry.
Robinson Cano: No, it’s fine. It’s numb most of the time anyway.
Michael Wacha: Sorry to hear that.
Robinson Cano: Oh. Only four more seasons to drag this old body through, then I can retire…
Photographer (claps hands again): And … the big guy, right on the back and top, please!
Jacob deGrom: Me? But there is only a wonky stool back there?
Photographer: Yes, on the wonky stool, please.
Jacob deGrom: But there is room over there, next to Matzie! I want to stand next to Matzie.

[Everybody looks to the right side. deGrom shakes his head in disbelief]

Jacob deGrom: No way!

[Mr. Met joins the group photo, accidentally knocking his giant head against Matzie’s head, and slamming it against Porcello’s noggin’]

Rick Porcello: Oooww!!
Steven Matz (to Mr. Met): Whoah, cautious over there!
Rick Porcello: Which hand do I throw with again?
Steven Matz: You’re asking me? I think I’ve just been put on the DL …!

[Mr. Met shoves Brad Brach to the side to better be able to extend both arms on the group photo]

Photographer: Sacré bleu! Excéllent!

[With a shriek, deGrom disappears behind the rest of the team as he falls off the wonky stool]

+++

Welcome to the New York Mets, who are totally well prepared, and since they are going to be comically inept – I just know it – they are also part single-camera sitcom.

There is going to be a post a day unless I fall gravely ill at some point. Every game is played on the day it appears on the actual, doomed 2020 schedule, except that there might be rainouts and postponements. There may or may not be a post on Mets off days, depending on whether interesting at all has happened in the league. F.e. tomorrow will already be an off day.

I am taking some elements from my Raccoons dynasty as far as general structure is concerned, but since this is a daily rather than a weekly report, some amendments will be made, f.e. there will probably only be standings and stats after each series rather than each post.

Other than with the Critters, there is no first person GM character in this story, mostly because the Mets have enough mental personnel to construct madness around. Posts will contain a game report much like in the Raccoons’ thread, but it might be interrupted by various characters interacting with another in dialogue bits.

Below is the Opening Day roster. It contains 13 pitchers, which I consider folly especially with the light schedule at the start, but the Mets have absolutely no depth whatsoever. Oh well. Two months until Yoenis Cespedes comes off the DL!
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Well, I'll say one thing. You have a lot of courage!!

Q: What do the New York Mets and lawn furniture have in common? They both fold and end up in the cellar after Labor Day!

Allright, as a Phillies fan, I had to take a shot. Seriously, all the best with your dynasty, and it'll be interesting to see how you do! Great start by the way!
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets (0-0) vs. Nationals (0-0) – March 26-29, 2020

The Mets opened the season with a 6-game homestand, hosting the Gnats, who had somehow stumbled into a title in 2019, and the Phillies after that. While the New Yorkers would start the season with three players on the DL (Yoenis Cespedes, Jed Lowrie, Drew Smith), the Nationals entered the season unharmed.

Projected matchups:
Jacob deGrom (0-0) vs. Max Scherzer (0-0)
(off day)
Noah Syndergaard (0-0) vs. Stephen Strasburg (0-0)
Marcus Stroman (0-0) vs. Patrick Corbin (0-0)

Only one left-hander in this array of starters, and that would be Corbin, scheduled for Sunday.

Game 1
WAS: RF Eaton – SS T. Turner – LF J. Soto – 1B Thames – 2B A. Cabrera – C Suzuki – CF V. Robles – P Scherzer – C C. Kieboom
NYM: CF Nimmo – RF McNeil – LF Conforto – 1B Alonso – 3B Davis – SS Rosario – C Ramos – 2B Cano – P deGrom

The season started under clouds for the Metsies – Jacob deGrom, the reigning Cy Young in the National League, issued a 4-pitch walk to Adam Eaton, Trea Turner singled, and there were dark clouds overhead in every meaning of the word. Juan Soto hit into a double play, 6-4-3, and Eric Thames was rung up flailing badly, but that had not been the first inning of a guy ready to win a third golden pitcher’s belt. There was something to cheer, though, right in the bottom of the first inning… Jeff McNeil was denied in attempt for the Soft Drink Stands in rightfield, but there was no denying Michael Conforto on Victor Robles’ part. Conforto hit a 410-foot homer on the 2-2 pitch that clonked off the base of the home run apple in centerfield, raising it for the first time in the young season! deGrom looked better the rest of the first time through the Nationals’ lineup, whiffing four Gnats total, but then ended up conceding the lead on 2-out doubles by Adam Eaton and Trea Turner, the latter hitting his square through J.D. Davis’ O-shaped legs at third base. The Mets would put McNeil and Conforto on base with 2-out singles in the bottom 3rd, but Scherzer – also a Cy Young in his own right – got Rookie of the Year Pete Alonso on a high 2-strike offering, keeping the score tied at one.

+++

[In the SNY booth towering over the field of play]

Gary Cohen: …all I’m saying is, as a pitcher, would you rather have strong defense around you on the infield, or guys that can *hit*?
Ron Darling: In my time, we were scrapping for every run, and I never felt that defense was a problem. I liked guys that can hit to give me some support.
Gary Cohen: Of course, you had the best defensive first baseman in the game on your side. That sure helped a good amount, didn’t it?
Ron Darling: Definitely yes – there was always the feeling you could rely on Keith. Isn’t that right, Keith?
Keith Hernandez: “Trea”. What sort of name is that even?
Gary Cohen: Oh Keith –
Keith Hernandez: No, no – don’t get me wrong. These are different times. But when I was young, boys had proper names. Like… George. Or Bruce. … “Trea”…

+++

Neither team managed any more offense through five innings, with both starters whiffing six. deGrom would get a gentle pop from Adam Eaton to begin the sixth inning, but then Turner beat Brandon Nimmo in centerfield for a 1-out double. There was trouble – Juan Soto, not the worst batter in the world, ran a full count against deGrom before grounding out to numb-footed Robinson Cano on the right side. Turner moved to third base, hoping from good deeds from erratic slugger Eric Thames this time around. There was the erratic deGrom again – he walked Thames, then drilled former Met Asdrubal Cabrera to load the bases for Kurt Suzuki. Would the Mets need their bullpen in the *sixth* inning? Kurt Suzuki looked like a good matchup, though. deGrom would stay in at least for this matter – and carved him up on three pitches!

Robles was the key figure after that. He caught a Pete Alonso bid for extra bases in the bottom of the sixth, ending that inning, then led off the seventh with a jack to left that put the Washingtonians 2-1 ahead. Mr. Met was touring the stands, but upon the sounding of that rocket had his smiling mouth morph into an aghast O shape. deGrom saw off Scherzer, then allowed a single to Carter Kieboom, then was lifted for Justin Wilson. Kieboom stole second base – early proof that stealing bases against the Mets was always trivial – but Eaton struck out. The Mets went on to intentionally walk the right-handed Turner with first base open, to get Wilson to face the left-hander Soto. Soto also walked, in a full count. That left one more lefty batter in Thames, who so far had done nothing great, but held off for a 4-pitch walk that pushed home Kieboom with another run. Enter Luis Rojas, the new-new New York manager, exit Justin Wilson, and hope for more luck with Seth Lugo against Cabrera, who dumped a dying quail in shallow right-center for a 2-run single. Suzuki flew out to left, but the Mets were now down by four and well on their way to an L.

Maybe Scherzer could have his own meltdown? In the bottom of the inning he walked Amed Rosario, Ramos singled, and Cano drew another walk. With one out, the tying run came to the plate and would bat in the #9 hole – and it was Dominic Smith, secondary first baseman on a team that really didn’t have room for two first basemen. He popped out on the first pitch, and when Nimmo drove a liner to center, Robles made a flying catch going to his side to retire the Mets. In the eighth, Conforto was on with a 1-out single off Scherzer, but was doubled up when Alonso grounded out to Cabrera. The Gnats put runners on the corners against Jeurys Familia in the ninth inning. Familia faced five batters, allowed a double to Eaton and a walk to Soto, and somehow had four 3-ball counts, and still didn’t get socked for a run. Cabrera lined out to Cano to prevent that from happening.

Bottom 9th, last scraps for the Metsies with Scherzer still in the game. Luis Guillorme hit for Davis, but flew out to center. Rosario grounded out poorly. Ramos flew to shallow left; Soto tried to make the sliding catch but couldn’t quite get to the ball, which dinked in for a single. Hooray – the tying run was now only in the bathroom of the home team’s clubhouse! When Cano singled to right, Scherzer was lifted for right-hander Greg Harris, while Jake Marisnick hit for Familia. Nimmo, back from the bathroom, readjusted his pants in the on-deck circle. He would not bat again – Marisnick struck out in a full count. 5-1 Nationals. McNeil 2-4; Conforto 3-4, HR, RBI; Ramos 2-4;

Around the league

The White Sox’ Lucas Giolito (1-0, 0.00 ERA) goes eight innings and whiffs two Royals on average per frame, or 16 in total. The White Sox win 3-1.

Padres righty Garrett Richards (1-0, 0.00 ERA) spills only two hits in a 6-0 shutout of the Rockies.

Stats and stuff

The Mets so far are hitting .000 with runners in scoring position, the worst mark in the majors!

Tomorrow will be off for the last-place Mets, the Gnats, and also the 0-1 Braves. The 1-0 Phillies will try and take another game from the 0-1 Marlins in Miami.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
progen
All Star Starter

I could hear Hernandez saying that. Too funny. Looks like my Phils have a one game lead. Stop the season now, and declare them the division winners. I like the play by play. I started my own dynasty as the GM of the expansion Expos. I enjoy reading the different dynasties, and the style that each writer uses. Plus, it's a great way to play OOTP. Moves at a nice pace, and really forces you to pay attention to not only your team, but what's going in the league. Great stuff!!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
I could hear Hernandez saying that. Too funny. Looks like my Phils have a one game lead. Stop the season now, and declare them the division winners. I like the play by play. I started my own dynasty as the GM of the expansion Expos. I enjoy reading the different dynasties, and the style that each writer uses. Plus, it's a great way to play OOTP. Moves at a nice pace, and really forces you to pay attention to not only your team, but what's going in the league. Great stuff!!
He will say more things down the road. You can argue about the Mets as a team but I will staunchly defend our broadcast booth with my dear life - it's the best in baseball!

More characters, including players and others, will gradually be introduced bit by bit; sometimes it also depends on timing a bit. That Turner took the axe to deGrom right away helped me bring out grumpy Keith early.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
progen
All Star Starter

Yep. And we have the worst. Tom McCarthy is terrible. I think he was in NY for awhile. I do like the guys on the radio, Larry Anderson and Scott Franzke.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
assamarra
Minors (Double A)

I narrowed it down to the Mets, Pirates or Giants for my dynasty.

Took the Giants, but will be checking in to see how you are getting on with the Mets

Expect the worst, anything else is a bonus

assamarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

March 27 was an off day for the Metsies, but they had some batting practice on the field.

[Citi Field. Some of the Mets are standing around home plate while a coach tosses batting practice to Pete Alonso from behind a safety net. Three board outfielders stand deep on the green, picking their noses as Alonso hits one ball after another out of sight.]

Luis Rojas: Pete.
Pete Alonso (has just smashed another ball well over the fence): Yes, skip?
Luis Rojas: Don’t aim for the planes landing at LaGuardia.
Pete Alonso: But it’s fun! Because I know I can hit them!
Luis Rojas: Pete. We had complaints from the NTSB about this before.
Pete Alonso: Aww..! (crushes another baseball that dies way too young) But I’m the Polar Bear! The Polar Bear has got to pounce!

[In centerfield, Brandon Nimmo sits down on the grass, tossing his glove a few feet from himself]

Luis Rojas: Alright, Pete. That’s enough for today. Your power is clearly there.
Pete Alonso: Did I do good, skip?
Luis Rojas: Very good. Now let someone else take a hack at it.
Pete Alonso (points at J.D. Davis): I tap Solar Bear!
Luis Rojas: Pete, there’s a plan to –

[Alonso gently but forcefully pulls a hardly resisting J.D. Davis into the batter’s box]

Luis Rojas: Alright, what the heck.
Pete Alonso (to Davis): Hit them as far as I do, Solar Bear!
J.D. Davis: Nobody can hit them as far as you do. (gets ready for the first pitch) Nobody…!

[Davis slaps a ball into centerfield, where Nimmo has to scamper to collect his glove and then the bouncer that is coming right at him]

Pete Alonso (sharply whistles at the coach tossing): Hey, give the Solar Bear a strike!
Luis Rojas: Pete, you can go shower.
Pete Alonso: Okay, skip!

[Just as Alonso turns away, Robinson Cano appears from the side with a bat over his shoulder to take a few swings afterwards. He is walking slowly and unevenly.]

Pete Alonso: Hey, Robinson! Why are you limping?
Robinson Cano: Every bone in my body is hurting.
Pete Alonso: Is that what happens to ballplayers when they get old?
Robinson Cano: It is - … you … I mean…
(Alonso raises his eyebrows)
Robinson Cano: Yes, that is what happens to ballplayers when they get old and have four more years on their contract, but want to get into the Hall of Fame no matter how much it hurts.
Pete Alonso: Ah! It will all go well, I’m sure. (slaps Cano on the back) But you need a new nickname. I will call you Old Bear now! Because we’re all bears. And you’re old.

[Cano grins artificially while Alonso whistlingly disappears towards the clubhouse, then turns around to the group at the batter’s box before dropping his bat to the ground]

Luis Rojas: What is it, Robinson? You’re next!
Robinson Cano: I need to see the trainer.
Luis Rojas: Why?
Robinson Cano: Pete hit me in the back.
Luis Rojas: So?
Robinson Cano: It might be broken. (trudges off)

[Davis lifts a fly to left-center. Nimmo and Michael Conforto converge on the easy pop, collide, and the ball drops between them.]

Around the league

The Angels’ Justin Upton (.429, 2 HR, 4 RBI) hit his 300th career homer in a 4-3 loss to the Astros.

SEA SP Yusei Kikuchi (1-0, 0.00 ERA) spins a 6-hit shutout in a 4-0 Mariners win over the Rangers.

Colorado’s SP Jon Gray (1-0, 0.00 ERA) allows only three hits and whiffs 11 Padres in a 4-0 shutout.

Stats and stuff

The Braves beat the Diamondbacks, 9-1, while the Phillies took a second game from the Marlins, 9-6. With this the Mets were at least only 0-1 and not 0-2… The Phillies and Twins are the only teams to reach the 2-0 plateau.

The Mets have a tough early schedule. 19 of their first 22 games are against teams that made the playoffs in 2019, and 8 of their first 11 are against teams that won a World Series recently.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets (0-1) vs. Nationals (1-0)

Mets baseball was going to be back on Saturday, trying to get that first entry into the W column. Manager Luis Rojas would confide in Thor’s hammer and the same lineup that did precious little against the Gnats on Thursday.

+++

[Gary Cohen and Keith Hernandez are musing about the passage of time just before the first pitch.]

Keith Hernandez: Spring. I tell you, Gary – it makes me feel young again. I think I could still take it up with the boys down there.
Gary Cohen: You think so?
Keith Hernandez: Yeah, I got the bad back, and the hip, and the knee replacement, and I don’t see as good as I used to, and I gained five or ten pounds since my days, but … but it’s spring! I can’t wait – put me in there, skip!
Gary Cohen: Meanwhile we now have some delay here. Adam Eaton was already almost in the batter’s box, and then was called off by the umpire. It seems they are congregating as the rain that has been around in light drizzly form for a while now seems to have picked up the pace.
Keith Hernandez: Oh, come ooon! Weather! We want to see baseball…!
Gary Cohen: …while here comes the head of the groundskeepers crew.
Keith Hernandez: I hope we don’t have a delay here. I have to buy milk on the way home.
Gary Cohen: For yourself or for –
Keith Hernandez: Oh, Hadji’s gonna be so mad if I’m late…
Gary Cohen: Looks like everybody’s being sent back to the dugout while they bring out the tarp now.

+++

The tarp came out and stayed out. The game was rained out entirely and postponed into a Sunday double header, leaving the Mets still winless!

Around the league

TB SP Tyler Glasnow (1-0, 0.00 ERA) and two relievers hold the Pirates to just a pair of base hits in a 3-0 Rays win.

The Twins win their third straight from the A’s, crushing the Oakland pen with a stunning 8-run rally in the ninth inning. Four pitchers are chewed up as the A’s snatch an 8-6 defeat from the jaws of a 6-0 shutout.

Orioles pitchers are ravaged for five base hits, a homer, and two RBI by NYC OF Mike Tauchman (.778, 2 HR, 4 RBI). The Yankees storm away to a 10-5 victory.

Stats and stuff

The Mets are not the only winless team in the NL East – the Marlins were by now at 0-3 against the Phillies. The Braves won another one from the Snakes to go up to 2-1.

The Gnats and Mets are the only teams with fewer than two games at this stage.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets (0-1) vs. Nationals (1-0)

The still winless Metsies hoped to play two against the Gnats on Sunday – weather permitting – and if the baseball gods would allow for it, maybe even win a game. Or two. With the Gnats offering a right-handed and a left-handed pitcher, the Mets would take advantage of the bench a bit; 12 of 13 position players were tapped for a starting assignment in at least one of the games, the exception being outfielder Jarrett Parker, whose presence on the roster was frankly puzzling.

On the pitching side and with two days off, everybody was ready – things would only get dicey down the road, with no off day coming up in time to prevent a Met starter from going on short rest by April 2.

Game 1
WAS: RF Eaton – SS T. Turner – LF J. Soto – 1B Thames – 2B A. Cabrera – CF V. Robles – 3B C. Kieboom – C Y. Gomes – P Strasburg
NYM: CF Nimmo – 3B McNeil – RF Conforto – 1B Alonso – LF Dom. Smith – SS Rosario – C Ramos – 2B Cano – P Syndergaard

The Gnats wasted no time to carve up Syndergaard with their legs once they got on base. Asdrubal Cabrera walked in the second, stole second base, then scored on a Robles single. Victor Robles also stole second base in the same inning. The scourge Cabrera would chip in a 2-out, 2-run double in the third inning. Syndergaard had allowed Eaton on base with a double, Juan Soto walked (and stole second…), and the paint was coming off rapidly here…

Strasburg had struck out four batters in the first two innings and had only conceded a hustle double to Brandon Nimmo, but walked Old Man Cano to begin the bottom 3rd. Bunted to second, Cano reached third base on a wild pitch before Nimmo drew ball four and rocketed his way to first base as if he had hit an infield roller. New York got on the board when Jeff McNeil dumped a floater into shallow center for an RBI single, then hoped for a big swat from the middle of the order. Conforto flew out to Eaton, and Pete Alonso was walked on four pitches, not fishing at any of the obvious balls. That brought up Dominic Smith, who had to show off the stick in order to merit a roster spot because his leftfield defense wouldn’t make him worthwhile. Showing off he did, blasting a fly to deep right and OUTTA here – GRAAAAAAAAAND SLAAAAAAAAAMMMM!!!

That wasn’t the only thing that was outta here when the Mets went up 5-3. Strasburg grabbed a leg and was taken out of the game by his team. Left-hander Roenis Elias replaced him apparently for a long stint (with a second game looming and all…) because the Gnats also let him strike out in the fourth against Syndergaard, notching his fifth K to end that inning. By the fifth, a fourth player with a swirly W on the chest had a stolen base, Trea Turner swiping second after a single, but he was stranded when Soto grounded out and Thames whiffed. Of course, when Amed Rosario tried to take a bag in the bottom of the sixth, he was thrown out by Yan Gomes… Wilson Ramos then reached second base on a Turner throwing error. He moved to third base on Cano’s grounder, and with two outs and 99 pitches on the clock, Syndergaard was hit for by “Solar Bear” Davis, who knocked a 1-1 pitch into shallow left for an RBI single…!

Up 6-3, the Mets had to pick nine outs from the Gnats to get into the W column. Jeurys Familia was the first reliever to enter the game and was vintage 2019, meaning awful. Four batters made hard contact four times, resulting in a Howie Kendrick double from the #9 hole and Turner’s 2-out RBI single. Justin Wilson replaced him thereafter with considerable power (Soto) in the box as the tying run. Soto poked at a high 1-2 and missed, dispelling the threat. He got two more outs in the eighth, after which New York asked 2019 train wreck Edwin Diaz for a 4-out save. He entered in the #4 hole, with Smith going to first base and Jarrett Parker entering for D in leftfield. “Sugar” Diaz rung up Robles to end the eighth, then had the bottom of the order up in the ninth. Starlin Castro, Yan Gomes, and Howie Kendrick grounded out in order to get the Mets back to .500! 6-4 Mets. McNeil 2-4, RBI; Smith 1-4, HR, 4 RBI; Davis (PH) 1-1, RBI;

Game 2
WAS: RF Eaton – SS T. Turner – LF J. Soto – 1B Thames – 2B A. Cabrera – C Suzuki – CF V. Robles – 3B C. Kieboom – P Corbin
NYM: SS Rosario – RF McNeil – 3B Davis – 1B Alonso – LF Conforto – CF Marisnick – 2B Cano – C Rivera – P Stroman

Though clumsily, the Mets set out to tear Corbin a new one in the second inning. Marisnick and Cano opened with singles, with Adam Eaton throwing out the lead runner at third base on a play that turned out to be too aggro from the Metsies. Cano would however score on a Rene Rivera double down the rightfield line, and then *Stroman*, not accustomed to hitting after years in the American League, dropped in an RBI single to cash his battery partner for the night. Rosario singled for his first base hit of the season, but McNeil was denied by Eaton in deep right, and J.D. Davis fanned to end the inning, which netted only two runs from five hits.

The bottom 3rd brought the Polar Bear’s first pounce of the season with Pete Alonso smashing Corbin’s first offering for a 347-footer, his 54th career homer as every knowledgeable Mets fan will proudly confirm to you. Stroman went into lockdown mode for a while, holding the Gnats to two hits through five innings, but then leaked walks to Turner (who stole second, because why wouldn’t he?) and Soto with two outs in the sixth. Eric Thames got the closest to a base hit yet in the series, dishing a 1-2 pitch to deep left, but Conforto snagged it in front of the party deck to strand the runners, still up 3-0.

+++

[The SNY booth is musing about old age…]

Gary Cohen: …so you hope that they can get Robinson Cano going this year, and that he stays healthy.
Keith Hernandez: Yes, but he’s 37 and that is an age, where… you stand on the field, and look around, and all these young kids look so… athletic…
Gary Cohen: One and oh to Cano here, Marisnick on first.
Keith Hernandez: …and have energy…
Gary Cohen: Strike is called. Outside corner.
Keith Hernandez: …full of life…
Gary Cohen: No RBI for Cano in this young season.
Keith Hernandez: …and their juices are flowing all over…
Gary Cohen (smirking): Are your juices not flowing anymore, Keith?
Keith Hernandez: Gary, honestly, the boys have played almost two full games today, and I am tired just from watching despit three coffees…
Gary Cohen (with sudden movement on the field): Marisnick is going for it! The throw by Suzuki! And he’s slapped out – Mets can’t steal a base!

+++

Stroman entered the eighth inning with a 3-hitter, which became a 4-hitter when Carter Kieboom singled up the middle to begin the frame. Starlin Castro pinch-hit and grounded to Rosario, 6-4-3, see ya later. That was on Stroman’s 90th pitch and with only four outs to go, a shutout was possible. Eaton grounded out to Cano to reduce the number of outs required to three. Luis Guillorme replaced Cano for defense in the ninth, which was led off by Turner, who grounded out to J.D. Davis. Stroman then walked Soto, who was also still hitless on the year, but Thames flew out to center. Cabrera was up on the last out, .200 with 4 RBI in the series. He hit a sharp grounder to the right side, Guillorme sprawled like only a youngster can, and tossed to Alonso in time to conclude the game! 3-0 Metsies!! Alonso 2-3, BB, HR, 2B, RBI; Marisnick 2-4; Rivera 1-2, BB, 2B, RBI; Stroman 9.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K, W (1-0) and 1-3, RBI;

Around the league

STL SP Dakota Hudson (1-0, 0.00 ERA) allows just one hit in a 2-0 shutout of the Reds, a 1B Joey Votto (.400, 0 HR, 1 RBI) single to begin the first inning, then retires 27 Reds without allowing another one.

STL SP Brandon McKay (1-0, 0.00 ERA) shuts out the Pirates on two hits and whiffs 11 in the Rays’ 2-0 win.

CWS SP Dylan Cease (1-0, 1.13 ERA) spanks 15 Royals with strikeouts in a 3-1 White Sox victory.

Stats and stuff

Wins!

Strasburg had a mildly tweaked hammy; it was so not-bad that we night realistically encounter him again next week in D.C.

Also in the win column are the Marlins, squeezing out a 4-3, 14-inning W against the Phillies after losing the first three. The Braves piled another dozen runs on Arizona to tie the Phillies atop the NL East with a 3-1 record.

The Phillies will be in for three games starting tomorrow.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Old 03-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Waiver claim

The Mets grabbed C Jonathan Lucroy off waivers by the Red Sox on Monday. The 33-year-old Lucroy had not been a major offensive contributor in a few years, and had put up almost 300 AB’s worth of .660 OPS poking between the Cubs and Angels in 2019. And while a third catcher was not necessarily what the Mets were looking for right now, it was still better than carrying the dead weight of an eighth reliever – at least at the present moment. Daniel Zamora was optioned to Syracuse to make room on the roster.

Mets (2-1) vs. Phillies (3-1) – March 30-April 1, 2020

The Phillies had scored 24 runs and conceded 13 in taking three of four from the Marlins at the start of the season, and since they had put up those numbers against the *Marlins* it was hard to gauge their true prowess yet. Somehow, Didi Gregorius had two homers for them, while batting .500.

Projected matchups:
Rick Porcello (0-0) vs. Jake Arrieta (0-0)
Steven Matz (0-0) vs. Aaron Nola (1-0, 1.00 ERA)
Jacob deGrom (0-1, 4.26 ERA) vs. Zack Wheeler (0-0, 10.38 ERA)

A full slate of right-handers coming up in this series!

PHI: 3B Segura – 1B Hoskins – RF Harper – LF Bruce – SS Gregorius – 2B Kingery – C Grullon – CF Quinn – P Arrieta
NYM: CF Nimmo – 3B McNeil – RF Conforto – 1B Alonso – LF Dom. Smith – SS Rosario – C Ramos – 2B Cano – P Porcello

The Mets went back to the lineup that had carved up Stephen Strasburg early on Sunday and opened with a hustle walk drawn by Nimmo before he sprinted to first base. He still got doubled up by Jeff McNeil’s grounder to Gregorius, but the Mets would score first on Pete Alonso’s second bomb of the season, a real blast to right to begin the bottom 2nd, and deep enough to hurt a pitcher’s feelings. Rhys Hoskins would return the favor with a 2-out solo bomb off Porcello in the top 3rd, that one going out to left.

For a nice change, the Mets would even throw out a baserunner by the fourth inning when Wilson Ramos nipped Scott Kingery trying to swipe third base, and we will deliberately ignore the fact that Kingery stole second base just prior to that for the time being… The Mets were back in scoring position in the same inning when McNeil zinged a liner up the leftfield line for a leadoff double. Arrieta lost Conforto on balls, but Big Pete’s fly to center was caught by Roman Quinn and Dominic Smith hit into a double play – together with a 4-6-3 that Ramos had into in the second inning that was three double plays in four frames and a solid good job… All the while Porcello looked like he could deconstitute himself into his various parts at any second. He walked Hoskins in the fifth, Harper reached on an infield single to Old Man Cano, and then Nimmo had enough legs to sprint after twice-former-Met Jay Bruce’s drive to center to prevent worse outcomes than those. No, the next run was the result of another solo homer – Wilson Ramos hit that one to left of Arrieta in the bottom 5th. Cano then singled, and Porcello bunted into a double play, because nobody on this team could either field or run for all the millions they were making…

Case in point being the sixth inning where the wavering Porcello had them on the corners when Roman Quinn grounded to Rosario with one out. Rosario flopped the ball to Cano, Cano’s old man paws failed to work in a way that would have contained the baseball, and the Phillies got the tying run on the error. Arrieta bunted Quinn along with Deivy Grullon into scoring position, giving Jean Segura a shot with two outs. Segura grounded the 2-1 at Rosario, now the shortstop farted on the ball, and another run scored on another error. Though none of this was particularly Porcello’s fault, he took the axe to the head for it and was lifted for Brad Brach to face Hoskins and hopefully get him out, because there was nothing but a sea of murderous left-handed bats coming after that, and Brach would have to face two of them before he could be sent to the butcher, too… Hoskins grounded to McNeil, McNeil’s throw to first was *bad* and went through Alonso for a 2-base error, and the wheels were coming off now. Bryce Harper, certified monster, was walked intentionally to at least get force plays at every base, and then Jay Bruce hit a duck snort RBI single into shallow right. All things moot now, Brach got a grounder from Gregorius to Cano, who’s ****ing fault the entire 4-run inning was, and he managed to handle this one without causing more emergencies.

Arrieta went another three innings for eight in total. The Mets had the tying run at the plate once in their 5-2 deficit, when Rosario and Cano were on the corners with two outs and J.D. Davis pinch-hit for Brach in the bottom 7th. The Solar Bear fanned on a changeup, and it was still 5-2 in the bottom of the ninth, where the Mets faced Hector Neris, bringing up their 4-5-6 batters. Polar Bear Pete led off with a clean single to right, making the tying run appear in the on-deck circle as long as Dom Smith could resist his worst instincts. He did, K’ing for one out rather than poking for two. Rosario fanned as well. In despair, the Mets sent for Jarrett Parker to get a lefty bat in there. Neris shrugged and finished the game with a third strikeout. 5-2 Phillies. Alonso 2-4, HR, RBI; Cano 2-3;

Around the league

The Snakes’ SP Mike Leake (1-0, 0.00 ERA) whiffs nine and concedes only five hits to the Giants in a 4-0 shutout at Chase Field.

The Blue Jays take a 9-7 comeback win from the Reds when OF Randal Grichuk (.273, 1 HR, 5 RBI) slaps a 3-run walkoff homer off CIN CL Raisel Iglesias (0-1, infinite ERA).

Stats and stuff

With that the Mets had their first truly dismal ****show of the season. All four runs in the fifth inning were on Porcello, and all were unearned, which is generally what three consecutive errors by three different infielders will do to a pitcher. He also went through a number of tissues after the game, but who bleeding orange ‘n blue didn’t?

We’re back to 2-2 now, which is a tie for the second wild card with umpteen other teams. This includes the Gnats, who beat the Marlins 3-2 in Florida. The Braves dropped to 3-2 with a 10-1 blowout at the hands of the Padres.

Both the Pirates and Royals won their games on Monday, leaving only the 0-3 Orioles winless. Maybe Baltimore would have won on Monday, too – but the weather was not permitting and their game with the 3-1 Red Sox was postponed to tomorrow. They expect to play two.

Meanwhile only the damn Yankees are undefeated; after victimizing the Orioles to start the season they beat Tampa Bay, 9-5, to go to four and oh.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:36 AM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets (2-2) vs. Phillies (4-1)

With the Mets entering the day tied for third place and 1 1/2 games behind the division-leading Phillies, the mantra remained that even should they lose behind Steven Mets, err, Matz, and drop back under .500 then there was still the consolation price of an easier schedule in the later parts of the season. The Matz, err, Mets, wouldn’t have a game against a “soft” opponent until *April 21* …

For this Tuesday game, the Mets would bring back most of the previous day’s lineup. Luis Guillorme would give Old Man Cano a day off, and new toy Jonathan Lucroy would show off his new colors, batting eighth, while they were looking into further roster adjustments – a good defensive third baseman would be something right up the Mets’ alley.

PHI: 3B Segura – 1B Hoskins – C Realmuto – RF Harper – SS Gregorius – 2B Kingery – CF Quinn – LF N. Williams – P Nola
NYM: CF Nimmo – 3B McNeil – RF Conforto – 1B Alonso – LF Dom. Smith – SS Rosario – 2B Guillorme – C Lucroy – P Matz

With Matz taking the ball in the fifth game of the season that didn’t even make him the last Met on the roster to spring into action – there was still Michael Wacha in the pen, picking his nose, his services unrequested for all of the first four games.

He got a quick lead with Aaron Nola first allowing a few sprinkled singles – Brandon Nimmo hit one to left, Conforto hit one to right, then an outright bloop for an RBI single by Pete Alonso, his first RBI not coming on a homer. After Smith K’ed, Amed Rosario made a ball disappear in the gap for a 2-out, 2-run double, giving Matz an early 3-0 lead; Guillorme grounded out to Didi Gregorius to end the inning.

+++

[Joe’s Bar, a few streets from the ballpark. The SNY broadcast is on the TV above the counter. Joe is in no hurry cleaning a glass with a none-too-clean dishcloth. He looks like John from Billy Joel’s “Piano Man” music video, except less engaged. There are only two customers in the bar, two ragged figures on tattered clothes that spend all day, every day in their places because they have nowhere else to go anymore.]

Gary Cohen (on TV): …but now he is close to giving it back. Bryce Harper got hit to begin the inning and is on second base, and Didi Gregorius is on first after singling to left.
Ron Darling (on TV): It’s important for the pitcher to maintain composure now.
Stu: Listen up, Al. Composure.
Al (holds on tight to his beer): Ah, leave me alone.
Stu: Composure, Al! (sits up way too straight)
Joe (draws himself a beer in the glass he just cleaned while looking at the TV): I wonder whether they will win another one before I die.
Stu: You’ve been saying that for 20 years.
Joe: Yeah, well… (gulps)
Gary Cohen (on TV): Lucroy coming out now for the team’s first mound visit of the day. Him and Steven Matz not on the same page.
Joe: … they haven’t won one for longer than that.
Ron Darling (on TV): Pitching to a new catcher is always awkward for the first time. Believe it or not, catchers are like a new pair of shoes that have to be shaken down. You have to walk them in.
Stu: They were close though a time or twice.
Joe (wipes his mouth): Ring or bust.
Gary Cohen (on TV, smirking): Did you shake down Gary Carter when he came over from the Expos?
Ron Darling (on TV): No, Gary told me in no uncertain terms what I had to do and when. (chuckles with Cohen)
Al (to Stu): I bet you a beer that Phillie hits a 3-run homer.
Stu: Fine. I’ll bet ya.

[Lucroy gets settled in again and receives a strike from Matz, but shoots up and fires to third base.]

Gary Cohen (on TV): Harper going for it! Tag – and out is the call! Harper thrown out at third base!
Stu (to Joe): A beer on his ledger.
Al: Pff. Harper. That scumbag.

[Joe draws a beer while Kingery pops out to second base, ending the inning.]

+++

The bottom of the second inning saw the Mets tack on, though not of their own making. Matz (single), Nimmo (single), and McNeil (walk) were on base with two outs and Alonso batting, but his grounder to short was to end the inning … if Didi Gregorius would have thrown the ball vaguely at Rhys Hoskins. Instead the ball went well past the first baseman and caromed around in foul ground long enough for everybody to gain two bases, and thus two runs to score. Smith flew out to right-center, keeping it at 5-0. Gregorius flubbed another baseball the following inning, a 2-out grounder by Matz, but Nimmo would whiff with him and Luis Guillorme on the corners.

Nola was hit for in the fifth, which was also the next tight spot for Steven Matz. Nick Williams hit a 2-out single to center, and then walked Logan Forsythe, the pinch-hitter. Jean Segura grounded up the middle, Rosario missed it by inches, and the Phillies got on the board with Williams coming around from second on the single, but Hoskins flew out to Dom Smith to strand two. The Mets were tempted to hit for their own pitcher in the bottom 5th; Guillorme and Lucroy had both hit 2-out singles, and a well placed hit off Reggie McClain, the new right-hander, could perhaps be the knockout blow – but they didn’t. Left-handers were up in the top 6th, and having sent away Daniel Zamora the Mets only had Justin Wilson from the left side… and Matz was a left-hander himself after all. Matz coyly pushed a grounder through the left side where Gregorius continued to look bad, worse, worst, and Guillorme swept around third base now to score.

Top 7th, a special spectacle unfolded after Roman Quinn, quirky centerfielder, hit a 1-out single. Matz would face left-handed Nick Williams in any case, and then the Mets would pick it up from there, but Quinn sure became an annoyance. He stole second base on the 0-1. He stole third base on the 1-1. He made for home plate on the 2-1. Lucroy was determined to stop the shenanigans now and threw himself into the sliding outfielder. After the dust settled from the violent collision, Quinn was ruled out by the home plate umpire. Williams hit a soft single on the next pitch, but Matz remained around to see after lefty PH Jay Bruce, who grounded out to Polar Bear Pete.

Then it got difficult. Matz was hit for in the bottom 7th, and Michael Wacha made his Mets debut in the eighth, and it didn’t go smooth. He walked Hoskins with one down, J.T. Realmuto hit a blast to left, and then Harper also walked. Hurriedly the Mets brought in Seth Lugo, who conceded a single to Gregorius, bringing up the tying run in Kingery again. It went no better than the last time for the Phils, though, with Kingery popping out to Conforto in shallow right, and Quinn rolling out to Rosario, ending the inning. The Mets didn’t get any more offense (but Didi Gregorius made a third error in the bottom 8th), so the 6-3 lead went to “Sugar” Diaz in the ninth. Williams grounded out to Guillorme. Neil Walker, another ex-Met trying to get back at them, popped out to McNeil. And Jean Segura went back to the start, grounding out to second base! 6-3 Metsies! Nimmo 2-4, BB; Alonso 2-5, RBI; Rosario 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI; Guillorme 2-4; Matz 7.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R; 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, W (1-0) and 2-3, RBI;

Around the league

ATL SP Mike Soroka (1-0, 2.70 ERA) allows three hits and whiffs 10 in a 2-0 shutout of the Padres.

The Snakes walk off on the Giants, 3-2, when Nick Ahmed scores on a passed ball charged to SF C Buster Posey (.250, 0 HR, 0 RBI).

Stats and stuff

Washington beat the Fish, 2-1, remaining in a tie for third place with the Mets. Both clubs were half a game behind the 4-2 Phillies and Braves atop the NL East. The Marlins, at 1-5, are already sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

The damn Yankees trounced the Rays, 12-6, to remain undefeated, while the Orioles can’t get a W any way, shape or form, losing their double header to the Red Sox, 4-3 and 8-6 (in 11 innings).

Old 03-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #13
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Loving it!!!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #14
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets (3-2) vs. Phillies (4-2)

One more with the Phils, facing Zack Wheeler in his second start as a non-Met. Wheeler had been with New York since a trade with the Giants in 2011 (sending Carlos Beltran *cue dramatic music* to San Fran) and had amassed 127 starts for a 44-38 record and 3.77 ERA in a generally injury-ravaged career. He had been whacked around in his first Phillies start and the Metsies would like to follow up on that.

PHI: 3B Segura – 1B Hoskins – RF Harper – LF Bruce – C Realmuto – SS Gregorius – 2B Kingery – CF O. Herrera – P Wheeler
NYM: CF Nimmo – 3B Davis – LF Conforto – 1B Alonso – RF McNeil – SS Rosario – C Ramos – 2B Cano – P deGrom

In just five pitches in the first inning, deGrom allowed a double to Jean Segura, got a groundout from Hoskins that sent the runner to third, and a fly to shallow left-center from Harper, so far mostly prevented from mauling Mets pitching, that Conforto caught and then used it to cut down Segura at home plate. He got off less lucky in the second; still fooling nobody, he conceded a double to J.T. Realmuto, an infield single to Gregorius (well, what are you gonna do with Old Man Cano out there…?), then a booming 3-run blast to Scott Kingery. Cano in turn hit into a double play in the bottom 2nd, erasing Wilson Ramos and sending the whiplashed deGrom back out there. Segura scored again in the inning, ripping a triple on the first pitch and coming in on Rhys Hoskins’ sac fly.

Tough decisions in the fourth inning; initially still down 4-0, the Metsies got Conforto and McNeil on base. With two down Ramos zinged a liner to shallow center, uncatchable for Odubel Herrera, and Conforto scored on a good read. Old Man Cano singled to left, bringing in McNeil for a second run, but now deGrom was up; he had singled off Wheeler in the third inning, then had been doubled up enthusiastically by Brandon Nimmo. What would new-new Mets manager Luis Rojas do? He left deGrom in there, and the starter flew out to Herrera, stranding the tying runs.

Rojas’ reward would be another leadoff hit by Segura, a single, in the fifth and him being driven in by Harper, who needed to see a hairdresser very badly, seriously, it was gross! But the Mets were not out of it yet, down 5-2 as they were, because Wheeler was just as wonky. Nimmo opened the bottom 5th with a double to right, J.D. Davis exposed Didi Gregorius’ not-up-to-code D for a seeing-eye single, and the tying run was up just as well as the middle of the order. Conforto entered the box batting .190 with a sole RBI (the homer from Opening Day) and could use a good knock. He poked at the first pitch, hit it to Kingery, and the Phillies turned two. While Nimmo scored, that wasn’t good enough for an RBI, or to remain competitive in the game.

deGrom never retired Segura in the game and was lifted before he could serve up a 2-out homer in the sixth to the annoying infielder, who was exactly that homer short of a cycle. With Herrera on second base, Dellin Betances replaced deGrom and notched a K. It was the only batter he faced – his spot came up in the bottom 6th as the Mets were about to single Wheeler to death. McNeil, Ramos, Cano had all hit 1-base pokes and stuffed the bases with one out.

+++

[The SNY broadcast. Gary Cohen and Keith Hernandez are interrupted in their discussion of the merits of having cats either as lap pets or to kill mice on the farmstead.]

Gary Cohen: The Mets make the obvious move, sending a left-handed batter in place of Betances. And it is Dominic Smith, who has a grand slam on the year already.
Keith Hernandez: He looks ready to hit, Garr!
Gary Cohen: You sure hope so. Mets trail by two, McNeil, Ramos, and Cano on base with one out in the bottom of the sixth inning, and the Phillies are going to stick with Zack here. And this is strike one.
Keith Hernandez: That’s fine. Get a good look at it and then hit the next one.

[Wheeler is winding up and pitching again. The ump calls another strike.]

Gary Cohen: Another strike looking.
Keith Hernandez: Alright, you had a good look at it now. Now hit one.
Gary Cohen: Here it comes – and Dom Smith looks at strike three and is sent back to the dugout.

[Smith trudges off, dragging his bat behind him while Nimmo jumps into the batter’s box, smiling brightly.]

+++

Nimmo would draw a walk in a full count, aggressively running to first and almost overtaking Old Man Cano dragging himself from first to second while McNeil scored. J.D. Davis flew out to Jay Bruce to strand three, which was the first slight blistering noise the wallpaper made as it started to come off the wall. The next noise was sending in Jeurys Familia, who walked Hoskins, allowed a single to Harper, then required removal for a stiff neck. Justin Wilson replaced him, served up a bloop single between Rosario and Conforto on his first pitch to Bruce, and the Phillies had three on and nobody out for Realmuto, who popped out to short. Wilson fanned Gregorius, bringing up the right-handed Kingery; since Wilson had faced there batters, the Mets divined another pitching change, bringing on Seth Lugo. Kingery singled in two off him, Herrera singled in one, and night was descending over Citi for sure now, wasn’t it?

Yes and no. Jeff McNeil rammed a 2-run homer off Jose Alvarez in the bottom 7th to cut the gap in half, 8-6. Brad Brach though was no help in maintaining pace, conceding a solo shot to Didi Gregorius in the ninth, dropping the Mets back three again. Hector Neris would get closing duties in the bottom 9th, but right away let J.D. Davis on base with a single. Conforto popped out, continuing his early-season rut, but Neris made a mistake to Pete Alonso, and you don’t make mistakes to Pete Alonso and get that ball back. Polar Bear Pete hit it about 390 feet to right, and the Mets were suddenly within one run, 9-8 in a staggering game.

+++

[SNY. Keith is concerned.]

Gary Cohen: I see you are checking your watch.
Keith Hernandez: Well, of course, Garr – I promised Hadji we’d watch the Wheel of Fortune rerun tonight. I sure hope there won’t be extra innings.
Gary Cohen: So you hope the Mets will win it off Neris.
Keith Hernandez: Absolutely. Oh, they should have won it against Zack Wheeler.
Gary Cohen: I think we agree that neither starter pitched in a manner meriting a win.

[Jeff McNeil cracks a single to right off Neris.]

Gary Cohen: And that is it, the tying run is aboard now, and the winning run, Amed Rosario, steps in at home plate. Rosario oh for four today, .182 on the season with two RBI.
Keith Hernandez: Now is the time to get two more, kid!
Gary Cohen (smirking): I think Hadji will forgive you if you’re late tonight.
Keith Hernandez: I’m not so sure. He has his days!
Gary Cohen: Soft fly to center, and Odubel Herrera will have no problem with that one.
Keith Hernandez: Last straws for the Mets now.
Gary Cohen: It will be Wilson Ramos, three hits today, one RBI, and a crisp OPS of 1.110 on the season. – And a cross-up between Neris and Realmuto, the ball to the backstop, and McNeil moves into second base!
Keith Hernandez: Yes, scoring position. (checks watch) Now’s an even better time for a home run to end the game!
Gary Cohen: The 1-1 goes through Realmuto, and the tying run is now 180 feet away. Here comes Neris’ 2-1 offering. A strike, swung on and missed by Ramos, the count now two and two.
Keith Hernandez: Best time ever for a home run!
Gary Cohen: Will they go back to the fastball at two and two? Neris settles in. Ramos waiting for it. Pitch, on the inside corner, and Ramos is rung up …! Ballgame over, the Phillies win, 9-8, with Ramos getting rung up on that pitch. Keith, was that too close to take? – Keith?

[Keith is already gone.]

9-8 Phillies. Davis 3-5; McNeil 4-5, HR, 2 RBI; Ramos 3-5, RBI; Cano 2-3, RBI;

Around the league

The Padres are shut out for the second day in a row, now by ATL SP Max Fried (2-0, 0.53 ERA), who allows three hits in a 2-0 win.

Baltimore remains winless after an 11-3 rout suffered against the Red Sox that starts early and only gets worse. Boston’s J.D. Martinez (.379, 6 HR, 10 RBI) is on fire with two home runs, and two more are chipped in by Jackie Bradley jr. (.185, 4 HR, 6 RBI).

Stats and stuff

The Marlins keep lying down and taking it, suffering a 4-3 defeat against the Gnats. That one drops the Mets to fourth place. The damn Yankees beat Tampa, 5-2, and remain undefeated.

The part-time butcher the Mets hired as trainer opines that Familia needs neither much treatment nor to be put down. He might be fine by the weekend. What a relief – what, oh, would we do without him…….

For the Mets, home sweet home is over for now; they will embark on a 3-city road trip tonight, with nine games to be played in D.C., Houston, and Milwaukee.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Old 04-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #15
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets (3-3) @ Nationals (4-2) – April 2-5, 2020

Back to the squirly Ws in D.C., the first road series of the season. These teams were in third and fourth place in the division, and the Gnats held the second wild card, so a win would be nice. The Gnats had allowed the fewest runs so far in the NL but had also hardly scored, with a +2 run differential. The Metsies came in fifth in runs scored, eighth in runs allowed, and with an even runs total.

Projected matchups:
Noah Syndergaard (1-0, 4.50 ERA) vs. Stephen Strasburg (0-1, 16.88 ERA)
(off day)
Marcus Stroman (1-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. Patrick Corbin (0-1, 3.86 ERA)
Rick Porcello (0-1, 1.59 ERA) vs. Joe Ross (0-0, 1.08 ERA)

Strasburg was still laboring on that sore hammy, Corbin was the only southpaw we could see come up, and the Mets might pitch Porcello or Matzie on Sunday – that was still up in the air.

NYM: CF Nimmo – 3B Davis – RF McNeil – 1B Alonso – LF Conforto – SS Rosario – C Ramos – 2B Cano – P Syndergaard
WAS: RF Eaton – SS T. Turner – LF J. Soto – 1B Thames – 2B A. Cabrera – CF V. Robles – 3B C. Kieboom – C Y. Gomes – P Strasburg

Jeff McNeil opened the scoring with a solo homer to right in the first inning, and a Conforto double and Old Man Cano’s RBI single made it 2-0 in the second. Thor struck out Thames to begin the bottom 2nd – dropping Eric Thames to 0-for-23 on the season. He had two walks, 13 strikeouts, and a sac fly to his name. Thames kashed another K to end the bottom 4th, at the end of which Syndergaard had only put Carter Kieboom on base by nicking him.

He then had to run the bases in the fifth inning, hitting a leadoff single off a clearly not 100% Strasburg. Nimmo made an out, but Davis and McNeil filled the bags with singles for a .320 hitting Polar Bear with three homers to his name. Strasburg won that battle with a strikeout on five pitches, but still had Conforto to contend with. The corner outfielder had been dropped in the order in deference to his slow start, but now ran a full count before dishing a shot through Thames and up the line for a bases-clearing double! Michael Conforto now had 4 RBI on the year, which was second on the team, tied with McNeil and Dom Smith.

Up 5-0, the Mets looked in control, especially with Syndergaard locked in, while Strasburg was gone. Cano hit a 1-out double off Roenis Elias in the sixth, causing a delay for excessively panting while holding onto the second base bag for dear life. He scored on Nimmo’s 2-out double.

+++

[The Gnats’ TV booth. Bob Carpenter is trying to maintain his cool while F.P. Santangelo has pencils stuck in either ear.]

Bob Carpenter: …but the Nationals have not been on base since the third inning. Maybe Yan Gomes can get something done here, he is leading it off in the bottom of the sixth inning.
F.P. Santangelo: I hope he gets a hit. I’m dying to say it!
Bob Carpenter: You don’t say.
F.P. Santangelo: I’m gonna say it!
Bob Carpenter: If he gets a hit?
F.P. Santangelo: Them I’m gonna say it!
Bob Carpenter: The one-oh pitch, groundball to the right side. Cano dives but doesn’t get it, and this is the first –
F.P. Santangelo (blares): AND THERE GOES THE NO-HITTER!! (cackles)
Bob Carpenter (glares over): You feeling good now?
F.P. Santangelo: Never felt better in my life! (pushes one of the pencils a bit deeper into his ear)

+++

Nothing came off the single as the next three Nationals made outs in order. But more wonders happened in the game – in the bottom 7th, Eric Thames overcame his 0-for-24 futility with a bloop single behind Old Man Cano. Asdrubal Cabrera legged out an infield single, and when Victor Robles grounded sharply at Alonso, the Polar Bear tossed to second base for a force out there, but the return throw was not in time. Mets manager Luis Rojas went out and inquired about Noah Syndergaard’s further plans for the day, and as told in no uncertain terms that Thor fully planned on hammering out Carter Kieboom to get out of the inning himself – he was, however, on 96 pitches in a dragging inning. Kieboom grounded the 0-1 at Rosario, who fumbled the ball into a run-scoring error, but Yan Gomes would pop out to Alonso to end the inning, Mets still up by five.

Syndergaard was hit for by Dom Smith in the top 8th. Smith hit a 2-out double off James Bourque, but there was nobody on base and the right-hander struck out Nimmo to prevent anything from getting on his ledger. The Metsies went to Michael Wacha, who had been brutalized in his only outing of the season and surrendered a leadoff, pinch-hit double to Starlin Castro, but retired the 1-2 batters after that. With the lefty middle of the order up, the Mets might have gone to Justin Wilson, but the tying run was far away in the dugout. Wacha would surely get another out – and he did, fanning Thames after Juan Soto (also only hitting .143) walked. Wacha remained in there for the ninth and retired the Gnats in order. 6-1 Mets! McNeil 4-5, HR, RBI; Conforto 2-4, 2 2B, 3 RBI; Cano 2-4, 2B, RBI; Smith (PH) 1-1, 2B; Syndergaard 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, W (2-0) and 1-3; Wacha 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K;

Around the league

The Yankees lose their first game all year, 9-6 against the Blue Jays. Five homers and 29 hits total in that game. TOR LF/RF Derek Fisher (.333, 6 HR, 11 RBI) hits his sixth of the season.

The Orioles cluelessly lose 2-0 to the Cardinals and drop to 0-7.

Stats and stuff

Tomorrow is off for the Metsies, with the Phillies (who beat the Brewers, 8-4, today) also off tomorrow. Barves and Fish had today off, but will start a 3-game set tomorrow.

As of tonight, the Mets are tied for the second wild card with the Gnats and the Reds.

Jeff McNeil (.433) trails only Mookie Betts (.500) and Jean Segura (.474) in batting average.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #16
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

The Mets were off on Friday, April 3, and would resume their series with the Gnats on Saturday. The Phillies were also off. The Marlins beat up the Braves' Mike Foltynewicz early and won 8-3 over Atlanta, bettering their record to 2-6.

Around the league

LAD SP Clayton Kershaw (2-0, 0.50) tells off the Giants in a 6-hit shutout, whiffing eight in a 2-0 Dodgers win.

On the other side of town, LAA SP Julio Teheran (2-0, 1.59 ERA) whiffs ten Astros and pitches a complete-game 5-hitter in a 5-1 Angels win.

The Cubs’ Kris Bryant (.185, 2 HR, 4 RBI) walks off the Cubs, 5-4, with a come-from-behind, 2-run walkoff bomb off ARI CL Archie Bradley (1-1, 5.40 ERA).

Old 04-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #17
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets (4-3) @ Nationals (4-3)

With a southpaw in Corbin up, the Mets would again try Amed Rosario leading off, despite a sub-par .148/.233/.185 start to his season… not to speak of the shoddy-as-usual defense. But, eh, it was early …!

There was also rain in the forecast for this Saturday game.

NYM: SS Rosario – RF McNeil – 3B Davis – 1B Alonso – LF Conforto – CF Marisnick – 2B Cano – C Lucroy – P Stroman
WAS: RF Eaton – SS T. Turner – LF J. Soto – 1B Thames – 2B A. Cabrera – C Suzuki – CF V. Robles – 3B C. Kieboom – P Corbin

There was no offense to speak of in the early innings; Conforto and Lucroy hit isolated singles for the Metsies, and Corbin randomly hit a double off Stroman, who had retired the first eight batters of the game. The Mets got J.D. Davis on with a leadoff single in the fourth, but again nothing happened after that. A Victor Robles double with one out in the fifth spelled trouble, though. Stroman allowed a single to Kieboom, then couldn’t get through Corbin either, surrendering a sac fly to pretty far deep in leftfield… Eaton walked, Turner singled home a second run, and then Soto grounded out to Cano, ending the inning with the Gnats up 2-0.

The Mets didn’t reach the board until the seventh inning, with Corbin’s 88th pitch of the game tattered out of the park by Michael Conforto, his second homer of the year. When Lucroy reached base with two outs, the Mets sent Wilson Ramos to pinch-hit for Stroman in a desperate attempt to generate offense with the clouds getting ever darker overhead, but Ramos whiffed, and the inning ended for no greater good, the Metropolitans still trailing 2-1.

Dellin Betances retired the 7-8-9 in order in the seventh, with Corbin hitting for himself before adding a scoreless, hapless eighth to the Mets’ ledger. Justin Wilson was in for the bottom 8th, but allowed a leadoff double, a real screamer, to Adam Eaton. Turner bunted, with Alonso handling the ball and firing it to first base … where Old Man Cano had yet to arrive. Pete was charged a 2-base throwing error, Cano would be threatened with being traded to an old folks’ home after the game, but for now Eaton scored and the Gnats had an insurance run. Wilson struck out the next two, walked Asdrubal Cabrera, then yielded for Seth Lugo. Turner, that spotlight-seeking tic, stole third base in a vain attempt at personal glory before Suzuki was retired on an easy fly to Conforto.

That brought on Will Harris for an attempt at saving the 3-1 game starting with Polar Bear Pete, who popped out just like Conforto did two pitches later. Brandon Nimmo hit for Marisnick and singled past Cabrera to keep the Mets alive for Old Man Cano, who got rung up by Harris on fastballs. 3-1 Gnats. Davis 2-4; Conforto 2-4, HR, RBI; Nimmo (PH) 1-1; Lucroy 1-2, BB;

Around the league

SF SP Jeff Samardzija (2-0, 1.50 ERA) allows four hits and strikes out nine in a 5-0 shutout of the Dodgers.

The Orioles win their first game of the season, breaking up STL SP Dakota Hudson (1-1, 3.46 ERA) for five runs in four innings before running away with a 10-4 victory over the Cardinals.

Stats and stuff

The Marlins squeezed a 2-1 win out of the Braves, while the Phillies were rained out against the Brew Crew. They will play a double header on Sunday. The 5-3 Indians and 2-5 Tigers are also rained out.

Back down to .500, the mantra remains that the schedule is much easier after the early barrage of Gnats games, even though we will also play the Braves a ton in April and May – 12 of 19 with them before May’ll be out.

Rosario now batting a solid .129 with a .938 fielding percentage. What a talent. Eye-watering.

Conforto homers bring bad luck. The Mets are 0-2 when he hits one outta here, and have scored an additional zero runs in games he went yard.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #18
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets (4-4) @ Nationals (5-3)

The Matzies needed a win and would sent Metsie (1-0, 1.29 ERA) into the Sunday affair in Washington. Rick Porcello would be available in long relief should the worst happen and the Washington Walgreens knock out Steven Matz early. Or, you know, extra innings. New York went back to the tried-and-tested lineup from Thursday which had netted a W vs. the squirly W’s.

NYM: CF Nimmo – 3B Davis – RF McNeil – 1B Alonso – LF Conforto – SS Rosario – C Ramos – 2B Cano – P Matz
WAS: RF Eaton – CF V. Robles – 1B H. Kendrick – LF J. Soto – 3B A. Cabrera – 2B S. Castro – C Y. Gomes – SS A. Russell – P J. Ross

The game began with four groundouts to the left side for the Mets in the first; it should have been three, but one ball was thrown away by Addison Russell, to no great effect, though. Matz in turn missed his locations, badly, right from the start. He walked Adam Eaton on four pitches to begin the game, got two fly outs to Nimmo, Juan Soto singled in a full count, and then Cabrera walked on four pitches. The old up and away for Matz – not a good sign. At least Starlin Castro flew out to Conforto to get him off the hook in the first.

The Mets got runners in scoring position in the second inning on account of a Conforto single and a gross throwing error by Ross on Wilson Ramos’ grounder. Old Man Cano flew out poorly to Soto in shallow left, but Ross lost Matz on balls, which filled the bags for Nimmo’s .414 OBP. Alas, the .586 NOBP prevailed and he grounded out to Russell. New York had the bags full yet again in the third inning – Davis hit a duck snort single, McNeil legged out an infield single on the beleaguered Russell, and Alonso walked on four pitches, bringing up Conforto. Ross continued to be outta whack, and four more errant pitches forced in J.D. Davis with the first run of the game. Rosario continued to be completely useless and struck out. Wilson Ramos’ sac fly was the second and last run in the inning before Cano grounded out to Cabrera.

Then the Gnats batted through the order in the bottom 3rd against a completely off-the-rails Matz. He hit Eaton, walked Robles, and gave up a 3-piece to Howie Kendrick. As the inning dragged on, Russell would eventually hit a ground-rule double to score Soto with two outs, now putting the Gnats two runs ahead, 4-2. After whiffing Ross, he would not get another out, and Matz was yanked after Eaton and Robles opened the fourth with singles. Ah, here was Porcello – three innings too late.

The L wouldn’t stick with Matz, who was taken off the hook when Amed Rosario – of all people – went yard with two outs and Polar Bear Pete on second base in the fifth inning, tying the score at four. This was good news mostly for Matz, it seemed, because the bottom of the inning began with a Castro single and Porcello drilling Yan Gomes in the knee. Gomes limped to first base, was examined, but remained in the game. Poor outs by the 8-9-1 batters then surprisingly stranded all the runners. Porcello was then on base when Cabrera threw his grounder away for two bases with one out in the sixth. Nimmo’s single put runners on the corners for J.D. Davis, who hit another one of those dying quails that dropped in front of Soto for an RBI single, handing the lead back to the Mets, 5-4, unearned as it might have been. Washington brought Wander Suero to replace Ross, but McNeil singled to left to fill the bags for the Polar Bear.

+++

[SNY booth. Keith Hernandez is still bemoaning the shoddy defense on display here.]

Keith Hernandez: …outrageous! We have seen three easy grounders today that have been badly thrown away by the infielders on the home team.
Gary Cohen: But if anything, it’s helped the Mets.
Keith Hernandez: But it’s not good for the sport, and it doesn’t teach the kids – … Look, Gary, what I’m talking about here …
Gary Cohen: …while Suero throws ball one outside to Pete Alonso.
Keith Hernandez: *Fundies*!
Gary Cohen: Of course, fundies, Keith, we all know they’re essential.
Keith Hernandez: Cabrera has been around for … such a long time, and he should know that it is all about leg work. 75% of your throw is leg work. Position yourself *correctly*. And then you can get a good throw off.
Gary Cohen: Also hoping to get a good throw off on the one-oh is Suero.
Keith Hernandez: Fundies!

[Alonso rips at the pitch.]

Gary Cohen (increasingly excited): Pete crushes one to deep right field! Deep! Forget it! Way, WAY OUTTA HERE!!
Keith Hernandez: Oh my!
Gary Cohen: Pete’s fourth home run on the season is *a monster*, and it gives the Mets a 9-4 lead!
Keith Hernandez: See, this is what happens with a lack of fundies.

+++

For practical purposes, this ended the game. Alonso’s slam put them up five, and the Gnats were crushed for it. Porcello did a scoreless sixth, and then Brad Brach pitched two innings following that, also suffering no grim accidents.

…until the ninth inning rolled along. The Mets stranded Rosario and pinch-hitter Marisnick on the corners in the top half, but still led by five in the bottom half, which sounded like a challenge to Jeurys Familia. Cabrera reached on an error that was charged to Alonso, although Familia’s dopey throw to first didn’t help, he walked Castro, and after two strikeouts to Gomes and Russell conceded a single to PH Yadiel Hernandez that loaded the bags. Here came, after all, Edwin “Sugar” (or “Disaster”?) Diaz. He threw three pitches to Adam Eaton, getting a liner to right on the last one. Fortunately, Jeff McNeil was on his post and made the catch to end the game. 9-4 Metsies! Davis 2-5, RBI; McNeil 2-5; Alonso 1-3, 2 BB, HR, 4 RBI; Rosario 2-5, HR, 2 RBI; Marisnick (PH) 1-1; Porcello 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, W (1-1); Brach 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K;

Around the league

CWS RF Nomar Mazara (.321, 5 HR, 9 RBI) has four hits, misses the cycle by the triple, and drives in three in the White Sox’ 11-7 win over the Red Sox.

A broken hand will put Oakland’s Matt Olson (.286, 1 HR, 4 RBI) out of action for at least two months.

Boston’s J.D. Martinez (.439, 7 HR, 16 RBI) is the AL Player of the Week, having batted .520 (13-for-25) with 4 HR and 10 RBI. In the senior circuit, the Snakes’ Ketel Marte (.447, 1 HR, 8 RBI) is selected after a week of poking .500 (11-for-22) with 1 HR and 5 RBI.

Stats and stuff

The Marlins completed an unexpected sweep of the Braves with a 5-4 win, their second one-run victory in a row. This dropped the Braves to fourth place, half a game behind the Mets and Gnats. The Phillies are in first, having split their double header with the Brewers.

No Mets game tomorrow – they will be in Houston for a 2-game set starting Tuesday. Looks like deGrom and Justin Verlander might square up then …!
Attached Images
Image Image 

Old 04-06-2020, 04:13 AM   #19
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Every team in the NL East played on Monday ... except the Mets. They were scheduled as idle and remained as such while the Braves lost 8-7 to the Padres. The Gnats (vs. Marlins) and Phillies (vs. Blue Jays) both scored walkoff wins. The Phils hit six homers in their 10-inning, 8-7 win, with Scott Kingery walking them off with the final one in the 10th.

Around the league

DET SP Matthew Boyd (2-1, 1.80 ERA) pitches nine innings of 7-hit, 1-run ball in KC. The rest of the Tigers give him a 2-1 win by scoring in the top of the 10th.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:29 AM   #20
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets (5-4) @ Astros (6-4) – April 7-8, 2020

As the pile of games against recent World Series participants continued, the Mets ventured out west to Houston for the road half of a two-and-two set that would not be completed until June. The Astros had not done too well so far, with the offense underperforming (only Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve were hitting above .278) and the rotation getting selectively hammered around, though the Mets’ own ace was not exactly alien to that thought…

Projected matchups:
Jacob deGrom (0-2, 6.00 ERA) vs. Justin Verlander (1-1, 2.20 ERA)
Noah Syndergaard (2-0, 2.08 ERA) vs. Lance McCullers jr. (1-0, 5.28 ERA)

No matter what the Astros would come up with for starters, they would all be right-handers. Zack Greinke (0-2, 4.76 ERA) was also an option for this series.

This series opened a string of 13 games without an off day. It was also the first time this season the Mets would have to play employing the fake position.

NYM: CF Nimmo – 3B McNeil – RF Conforto – 1B Alonso – LF Dom. Smith – DH Ramos – 2B Cano – C Lucroy – SS Rosario
HOU: RF Tucker – 2B Altuve – 3B Bregman – DH Y. Alvarez – 1B Y. Gurriel – LF Brantley – CF Springer – SS Correa – C Maldonado

Verlander came in laden with his multiple Cy Youngs and bells and whistles as well as a solid 20 K in 16.1 innings, but didn’t immediately blow the Mets’ batters away. He struck out only two the first time through, and by then was in trouble, albeit 1-0 ahead thanks to a Michael Brantley homer off a still not-very-Cy-Young-like Jacob deGrom. Rosario reached base on a throwing error by Alex Bregman, and the Mets were on the corners after a Nimmo single, with one out. Jeff McNeil hit a looper to left that ran away from a hustling Brantley and dinked into the far regions of leftfield for an RBI double, and also put both Nimmo and McNeil in scoring position. The next two batters for the Mets were however sure susceptible to the strikeout; Conforto poked a ball to shallow left instead, but it was caught by Brantley. Alonso poked at the first pitch, shallower to left yet, and that one dropped in front of Brantley, who also flubbed the pickup and had to reverse to chase down the ball, giving Pete Alonso a 2-out, 2-run single, 11 RBI on the year, and Brantley was charged with an error – meanwhile none of the runs were earned on Verlander, since Bregman’s error had caused the whole mess to begin with. Dom Smith then struck out to end the inning.

It wasn’t the last double for the Mets in the game, either. Wilson Ramos hit one in the fourth, but was stranded, and McNeil hit one in the fifth, but wasn’t. Pete Alonso snuck a grounder through Correa and Altuve with two outs and got another RBI single, making it a 4-1 game and giving JV35 his first earned run on the night. Dom Smith kept merrily striking out, though…

The Metsies grinded out another run in the sixth, with Old Man Cano and Jonathan Lucroy going to the corners with singles, and then Rosario hit a sac fly to Kyle Tucker, extending the lead to 5-1. And while the Astros got the occasional base runner, they didn’t threaten deGrom much at all, especially with a 4-run lead. He completed seven on 94 pitches and with a 4-hitter, also seven strikeouts. A complete game seemed unlikely, but a few more outs did not. Carlos Correa opened the eighth with a clean single to right, but Martin Maldonado whiffed, as did Tucker. Altuve however lifted a single over the head of Rosario, and that prompted a change. Seth Lugo would be called from the pen to deal with Bregman with two on and two outs. He got him to 2-2 before allowing a sharp RBI single to left-center. The same count befell Yordan Alvarez, the Houston DH, before he flew to left, but also right to Smith for the third out.

Houston brought on Roberto Osuna for the ninth. He fanned the clinically useless Amed Rosario, but then put Nimmo and McNeil on base. Michael Conforto got a fat pitch, and that baseball was never seen again – drilled for about 455 feet, it blew the barn doors well off, giving the Metropolitans an 8-2 lead. Seth Lugo finished the game in due time, allowing only another single in the bottom of the ninth. 8-2 Mets! Nimmo 2-4, BB; McNeil 2-4, BB, 2 2B, RBI; Alonso 3-5, 3 RBI; Parker (PH) 1-1, 2B; deGrom 7.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 9 K, W (1-2);

Around the league

Milwaukee’s SP Brandon Woodruff (3-0, 1.04 ERA) spins a 3-hit shutout in the Brew Crew’s 10-0 rout of the Reds.

WAS SP Max Scherzer (3-0, 1.40 ERA) strikes out 11 Marlins and concedes only six hits in a 6-0 Nationals win.

OAK SP Sean Manaea (1-0, 5.31 ERA) throws a 6-hit shutout over the Angels, striking out eight. The A’s win 7-0.

Stats and stuff

Ten games in, the Mets don’t have a single stolen base, but at least Jeff McNeil is a machine and batting .395/.422/.605 – as long as we got Squirrel, all is not lost!

But the lack of speed is a concern; every other team in the NL has a stolen base, and every team in the AL has at least two.

The Mets have the highest batting average in the National League, but are nowhere near the lead in power. We have 12 homers, which is tied for fourth (with the Braves). The Reds have gone out 15 times, the Brewers 18 times, and the Phillies *22* times in just 12 games.

Speaking of the Phillies, they lost to the Jays, 5-3, bringing us back to within one game of the division lead. The Braves beat the Padres, 6-1. The Mets remain in third place, but hold the second wild card behind the Gnats, and half a game ahead of the Reds and Rockies.