Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:38 AM   #21
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

I’m with you guys. Last year I could never figure Iron out. Same with this year.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #22
skep
Minors (Double A)

I just got crushed at Iron so far this year. I've abandoned it entirely. Doing very well at Bronze and Silver.

skep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #23
SouthernStar71
Minors (Single A)

Had a Bo5 1st and a Bo7 2nd today

Nice 4 packs
Old 03-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #24
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
I've recorded 31 tournaments and I lost in the first round 16 times and won twice for 8 packs and 600 points. You just have to keep grinding. There is no way to dominate iron.

With the Sun Kings I've now completed 64 32-team iron tournaments and the results have basically been what you'd expect if it was random. You'd expect 2 wins, 2 runner-ups, 4 3rd/4th place finishes; I've gotten, respective, 3, 2, and 4. In my first 32 16-team iron tournaments, the expected number would be again 2/2/4, and I've gotten 3/1/3 (though the 33rd and 34th I entered were both 2nd places).
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #25
skep
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for the data, I had drawn similar conclusions with my play. Frankly, I do not understand why this seems to be the case. The more well-constructed team with higher quality players should be beating lesser teams but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #26
neugey
All Star Reserve

It's my feeling that in iron, bronze and silver tournaments or lower grade salary cap tournaments (<= gold) that almost all of the teams playing are going to be reasonably constructed because anyone trying it casually will probably give up after taking some L's. I might approximate that optimizing lineups, strategy and personnel choices well or poorly might change your odds by +10/-10% on the whole, at most.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #27
Grizzlegom
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I thought I had Iron figured out after a few days of grinding and recording the data for the winning teams and constructing a roster with what appeared to be the 'best' players. Between Thursday night and Friday, I won 5 tourneys and came in 2nd or 3rd/4th in 9 more.

Then yesterday I didn't place in a single Iron tourney, haha
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:20 PM   #28
skep
Minors (Double A)

Just saw that they added Iron dailies! Nice!

Old 04-02-2020, 02:29 AM   #29
Drivehud.com
Minors (Triple A)

I played in 3 out of my first 6 gold tournies and thought this would be easy. Then, nothing since. I've tried every strategy, and I have a deep roster and I can't get anywhere. I understand variance full well, but I'm not even close in most of them now. It seems completely random, and as someone new to the game, I really can't make much sense of the ratings given. The manual doesn't seem to provide much info either.

Is there other data that's being considered besides what's provided in the player profiles? Is there anywhere that matchup data is explained better to understand how each data set effects the other?
Drivehud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:28 AM   #30
AlaysNalah
Bat Boy

I was crushing the Irons, but have not placed in the last 2 days, prob about 20 tournies. I would highly recommend moving up to Bronze/Silver as soon as you can. The big problem with Iron is most of the 16-32 teams will be using a variation of the same 30-35 cards, and there are very few standout performers that can make a big difference. Now everyone is using nearly the same set, it has just become a bit of an rng fest.

At Bronze and Silver there is still a decent pool of players who do not yet have the best 30-35 cards to choose from, plus a lot of teams just fill up on 69s and 79s when there are better options in the field or batting in some of the lower numbers to choose from.
AlaysNalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:25 AM   #31
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaysNalah View Post
I was crushing the Irons, but have not placed in the last 2 days, prob about 20 tournies. I would highly recommend moving up to Bronze/Silver as soon as you can. The big problem with Iron is most of the 16-32 teams will be using a variation of the same 30-35 cards, and there are very few standout performers that can make a big difference. Now everyone is using nearly the same set, it has just become a bit of an rng fest.

At Bronze and Silver there is still a decent pool of players who do not yet have the best 30-35 cards to choose from, plus a lot of teams just fill up on 69s and 79s when there are better options in the field or batting in some of the lower numbers to choose from.
Metas are inevitable unfortunately. There is a certain amount of pride we can justifiably derive from finding it earlier than most. There's nothing wrong with conquering the unknown by venturing into the less played tournament types, but there's also a lot of enjoyment to be found in taking the time to research and tinker like a mad scientist from a pool of cards.

Additionally, the higher the tier, the smaller the pool of competitive cards to draw from. We'll be able to tinker around with our iron rosters much longer than, say, a gold team.

Ultimately though, RNG will inevitably play an outsized role in our tournament results. With such a small amount of games to decide the championship, it is inevitable.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:18 AM   #32
CLK
Bat Boy

Every tournament I've entered so far (only like 5) I get eliminated right from the beginning. Is there something I should be looking for rather than just plugging players in that meet the rules and stay under cap if need be? Thanks
Old 04-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #33
neugey
All Star Reserve

Now that we've had a few weeks to play, it seems like the Quick iron and bronze tournaments are all the rage. Not nearly enough people playing the Quick Salary Cap modes (whether they have the gold/diamond upper restriction or not).

My suggestion is the rewards for Salary Cap tournaments should be bumped up to a 6 pack reward for a 1st place and 3 packs for a 2nd place finish in the 32 team event. Similarly, a 3 pack reward for 1st and a 2 pack reward for 2nd in the 16 team event.

My rationale for this is it takes more time, care and generally more potent cards to try a build a consistent winner in Salary Cap mode. The extra effort and expenditure should be offset by better reward payouts. Just my 2 cents.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
Old 04-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #34
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Freakin' Bronx Bombers man. Last 32 team open tournament I was in I got swept by them in the semis. This time I go up 3-0 on them in the first round, and they win 4 in a row to knock me out.
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #35
Drivehud.com
Minors (Triple A)

Is there any tool available to extract tournament data into a collective whole?

This def needs to be an added feature at some point.
Drivehud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:07 PM   #36
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
Now that we've had a few weeks to play, it seems like the Quick iron and bronze tournaments are all the rage. Not nearly enough people playing the Quick Salary Cap modes (whether they have the gold/diamond upper restriction or not).

My suggestion is the rewards for Salary Cap tournaments should be bumped up to a 6 pack reward for a 1st place and 3 packs for a 2nd place finish in the 32 team event. Similarly, a 3 pack reward for 1st and a 2 pack reward for 2nd in the 16 team event.

My rationale for this is it takes more time, care and generally more potent cards to try a build a consistent winner in Salary Cap mode. The extra effort and expenditure should be offset by better reward payouts. Just my 2 cents.
This is probably due to the fact that most teams don't have a very robust roster, yet have much more Bronze and Iron cards.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:44 AM   #37
WrigleyRyno
Bat Boy

deleted

Last edited by WrigleyRyno; 04-04-2020 at 06:46 AM.
WrigleyRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #38
cavacom
Minors (Single A)

People aren't playing the cap tournaments because the filter for them is gone, u have to filter to OPEN tournaments to find the cap tournaments. And most people on a Limited Budget are not interested in OPEN tournaments
cavacom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #39
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivehud.com View Post
Is there any tool available to extract tournament data into a collective whole?

This def needs to be an added feature at some point.
It's "easy" enough to export the data into a spreadsheet, but to eliminate the duplicate lines is the hard part. If someone could just explain how to do it and sticky the info, that would be really helpful. Kris? Matt? anyone?

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #40
neugey
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavacom View Post
People aren't playing the cap tournaments because the filter for them is gone, u have to filter to OPEN tournaments to find the cap tournaments. And most people on a Limited Budget are not interested in OPEN tournaments

Not sure about the UI being a problem; there is a checkbox for "Show only capped tournaments"

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles