Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 21 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Fun with OOTP

I think this is probably the best place to put a tidbit I found in a league I am running. I simulated ~120 seasons of a fictional league and exported at-bat stats after each season. Now, I am digging through all of those exports for things I think are cool.

I looked for the most consecutive strikeouts by a team in a single game, and found these instances as displayed in the first attached photo. That top row is saying that in 2026 (year), the Atlanta Falcons (team_id) struck out 15 times in a row (cum_k) during the course of a game.

I looked into the almanac and found the specific game. Chicago Aviators pitcher Gary Green was the perpetrator. That second attachment is the game line by Chicago's pitchers on that day.

The part that gets me about this game: Chicago's manager took Green out during this streak. Gary Green struck his 15th consecutive batter to end the 7th inning and didn't get a chance to start the eighth.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by BradG223; 03-22-2020 at 11:01 AM.
BradG223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

I'm going to use this thread to develop the lore of this particular league, but before that I'll give some big picture info.

In the American Baseball League there are two conferences with 10 teams each. No inter-league play, and balanced schedules of 144 games.
League totals modifiers have been set to 2019 MLB levels.

Attached are the season and career leader boards as of 2142, and snapshot of that year in particular.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by BradG223; 03-23-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Alright time to look at some grand slam numbers.

In the ABL Alejandro Roman is the career leader in total grand slams.

Simply put: the dude could slug dingers. He is the all-time leader in ISO, and is in the 25th spot for career home runs.
However, Roman was relatively weak in other facets of the game. His career strikeout percentage (.291) is nearly enough to match his career OBP (.314).
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

There is a lot of overlap between career leaders in grand-slams, and career leaders in home runs. When we take a look at single-season records for grand-slams, we start to find a lot of players who might otherwise be forgotten to history.

Meet Jerome Tobin. A career homer total of 218 is pretty unremarkable when the top-dog has over 800, but Tobin inked himself into the record books when he hit 6 grand slams in 2039.

Other notes among single-season leaders: Alex Gonzalex is the first and only player to hit five grand-slams twice.
Alejandro Roman, the all-time leader, is present on this list.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by BradG223; 03-23-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

I think this one is really cool. Most grand slams for players in each lineup spot.
What this chart can tell us is, for example, Bobby Escalante had the most grand slams for a player batting first in the lineup.
I'm giving the profile in this post to Jaden Lewis, a catcher who hit the most grand slams by a batter in the eighth spot.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG223 View Post
I'm going to use this thread to develop the lore of this particular league, but before that I'll give some big picture info.

In the American Baseball League there are two conferences with 10 teams each. No inter-league play, and balanced schedules of 144 games.
League totals modifiers have been set to 2019 MLB levels.

Attached are the season and career leader boards as of 2142, and snapshot of that year in particular.
Wow, I find it odd that you single season record for wins is only 22. Thank you for sharing all of this . Very interesting.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Wow, I find it odd that you single season record for wins is only 22. Thank you for sharing all of this . Very interesting.
Thanks!

Yeah, I think that win total is strange as well. Granted seasons are 144, I would think a couple of guys would have reached higher totals by now.

I also think single-season hr totals are a bit high. I know 2019 was a marquee year for home runs MLB, but I find it difficult to believe someone could hit 75 in >144 games.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #8
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Expect this thread to be all of the place. I plan on jumping around a lot.

I'm taking a look at some pitcher strikeout numbers, and while this specific post might not be too interesting we can at least pay homage to a monster from the leagues early years.

What this chart is showing you is who struck the most people out in various at-bat intervals. I looped through every at-bat in league history, and kept rolling sum of pitcher strikeouts.
In row 1, we can see that Ryan Pruitt once struck out 18 batters in a 20 batter span. Because nobody has more K's than Pruitt in such a span, he is present on the leader board.

I was hoping there would be more names here, but Pruitt was just such a force that he blows the field away in any at-bat window <100 games. He managed to appear on the list from streaks in 2021, and 2022!

Something I will note, I think there is a discrepancy with relievers made in the inaugural draft, and those that come after. 8 of the top 9 leaders in K/9 among closers were drafted in 2020.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by BradG223; 03-24-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #9
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Continuing from the previous post, this chart will show you the same premise, just different at-bat lengths.

We see Ryan Pruitt on here again. He had streaks in 4 different years that show up on this chart!! The man is an absolute freak!
Ryan Whited is the first departure we see from Pruitt, another relieving baron from that 2020 class.

You might have noticed that the number of strikeouts for Alvarez's 350 at-bat window is fewer than Whited's 300 at-bat window, and you are right to question how that is possible. The answer is that Whited didn't face 350 batters, and because of that he doesn't qualify for that window.

The dominant starter we see here is Tony Mercado. He was a league leader in strikeouts for 8 straight years, and the career-long New Orleans Bomber was a titan of his time.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Same table as in the last post, however I stopped considering years. This means the rolling batters faced window can show streaks starting in one year, and ending in a different year.

If you weren't convinced of Mr. Pruitt's dominance, take a glance and mayhaps be persuaded.
Attached Images

Last edited by BradG223; 03-25-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #11
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Some batter-pitcher match-ups from the ABL. The chart shows a batter, a pitcher, how many times they faced off over their careers, and how many home runs were hit in these face-offs. The chart is sorted by most home runs at the top.

Billy Broich hit 18 home runs off of Juan Galvan in his career, 3 more than the next batter-pitcher combo.

Of the 8 instances of batters hitting >=14 home runs off a pitcher, three of them involve Juan de la Torre, my league's home run king.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by BradG223; 03-26-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #12
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

What's that you say? You like dingers? Great news! Come with me as I look for the most consecutive home runs in league history.

Back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs (4 straight) is a rare occurrence in the American Baseball League, but it happens more frequently than in the real MLB. It's happened about 37 times, about once every 3-4 years.

Twice out of those 37 times, the batting team tacked on a couple more to extend the record. Sorry Denver, but when you did it it was less interesting.

On July 2nd, 2022, when the league was still young, the Seattle Marauders led off their game that day with 6-straight home runs. That is back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs! Say that 10-times fast, I nearly had an aneurysm writing it once. LA Stars pitcher Alex Castillo finished the inning, but would not return. The Marauders lead the Western Conference in home runs this year, and went on to win the championship, their first of four.

Also of note: Joel Zoll may be my favorite player name in this league.

By the way, some of you may notice my post title 'don' that I submitted prematurely. There is a story about a player from my league that I would like to share, but I don't think a wall of text will do it justice. Right now I am working on something that could convey this story much more appropriately.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by BradG223; 03-30-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #13
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

So the most consecutive home runs in a game are 6. That is pretty neat.

Five times in ABL history, 3 consecutive home runs occurred more than once in the same game.

Among these five, let's focus on my favorite of these occurrences.

On Independence Day, 2072, the San Francisco Claws saw Octavio Gonzalez, Leonel Valdez, and Jeremy Yeagley knock three straight out of the park in the first inning against Seattle. A tremendous feat. A tremendous feat that would be accomplished again by the same men in the same order later in the day, as they would all go yard in the fifth.

Octavio Gonzalez would finish the game with 3 home runs total.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by BradG223; 03-30-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #14
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Pinch-hit kings in the American Baseball League. Table shows the ten leaders in pinch hit home runs These numbers are higher than I expected, but I'm pretty sure it all checks out.

Jose Rincones totaled 55 pinch hit home runs during his career! For reference, the real world leader Matt Stairs has hit 23.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by BradG223; 03-30-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:51 AM   #15
dward1
All Star Reserve

how exactly did you export ABs?
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #16
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
how exactly did you export ABs?
League Options>Almanac>Automatic Data Dump Settings

I have "Yearly data dump to CSV file" toggled to on. I have numerous selected, but "players_at_bat_batting_stats" is the table that I've been primarily using for this thread. I'll attach a sample picture of the table.

This only works for current seasons, you can't dump data from previous years. Relative to other leagues I've had this can really drive up the storage size of a league. This one is about 27 gigs.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #17
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Here's an ugly scatterplot that compares a player's OBP from their first 500 plate-appearances, and the OBP from their final 500 plate-appearances. Players in the green finished with a higher OBP than they started with, and the reverse is true for players in the red.

You don't need to pay too much attention to the ugly mass of points, I'll point out the guys I think are interesting. These are the men with the greatest positive and negative swings.

Dave Bonelli was a two-way player. He is listed as an SP, but he was really an outfielder that could also pitch. For the first 3 years and 1500 at-bats of his career, he had a walk percentage of about 6%. Following his age 24 season, his walk percentage nearly doubled, a key contributor to his rise in OPS.

Kenny Denney (what a name) was drafted in the 7th round and spent 8 years in minor league ball before he finally made his pro debut at age 26. His first year he mostly came off the bench and had a .483 OBP after 176 plate appearances
The following year he squeaked his way into the All-Star Game. After that season he hovered slightly above replacement-level for about 5 years. That was until his final season at age 33, where his decline forced him out of the ABL for good.

I view this as one as a fun experiment, rather than something we gleam meaningful information from.
Attached Images

Last edited by BradG223; 05-06-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:06 PM   #18
dward1
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG223 View Post
League Options>Almanac>Automatic Data Dump Settings

I have "Yearly data dump to CSV file" toggled to on. I have numerous selected, but "players_at_bat_batting_stats" is the table that I've been primarily using for this thread. I'll attach a sample picture of the table.

This only works for current seasons, you can't dump data from previous years. Relative to other leagues I've had this can really drive up the storage size of a league. This one is about 27 gigs.
why does it drive up the storage? can't you move it to a csv and then the OOTP file remains slimmer?
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #19
dynaboyj
Major Leagues

These are great stories. Looking forward to more.
dynaboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #20
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
why does it drive up the storage? can't you move it to a csv and then the OOTP file remains slimmer?
Yup, I only brought it up cause I'm running low on storage space. I don't really think it is that much of a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaboyj View Post
These are great stories. Looking forward to more.
Thanks! It's fun to do, and there is no shortage of subject matter.