Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Online Leagues > Historical Leagues

Old 03-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
Arlo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Labor of Love Baseball (LOLB)

At long last, I have decided to try my hand as a commissioner of an OOTP baseball league. In it, I am going to try to eliminate the parts of OOTP that frustrate me. It will be a historical replay league but will have modern financial settings and no color barrier. Plus, it will have a system to correct certain ratings that OOTP apparently just randomizes. Here are the details:

League Name: LOLB (Labor Of Love Baseball)

Year: 1936 (Babe Ruth's first year of retirement) – 16 teams

Draft: NONE – you get the players that your team got each year and go from there.

Reason: This is to make “tanking” useless so you have every reason to try to do the best you can with what you have every season.

Ratings issues: It galls me when Billy Williams is rated “fragile” and Mickey Mantle is rated “durable.” How can Carl Yastrzemski not be a clutch hitter??? Ozzie Smith an average defender??????? This league is going to deal with this problem in the following manner:

First, if you have taken one of these teams, it is hoped that you are a fan of the real franchise or you are committed to becoming one. This is because you will have to make the case for adjustments to your players to make them more realistic. These adjustments will be to defense, attitude, clutch, and durability (other areas if you make a good case for adding them, but I do not want to get into basic offense or pitching ratings adjustments).

Sitting in judgment of the case you make will be a jury of your peers, i.e., other GMs. As a GM you will be required to do your jury duty on a rotating basis. You will have to vote yea or nay on the request for adjustment before you and a majority vote will be required for the adjustment to be made. I am thinking that the jury will be 5 for each case. Starting out, we may have to spend quite a bit of time on these cases before the first pitch is thrown. These cases will only be decided in the offseason, though complaints can be filed any time. We will be on Slack, where these “trials” will take place.

A GM can also file a complaint regarding similar ratings issues for a player on another team to make a negative adjustment. Say Dick Stuart came up as a gold glover, we can adjust that for sure!

The complaint will include all of the evidence, from any source, that the complaining GM can present. Another GM who is not a juror on the case is allowed to present evidence supporting or challenging the evidence presented.

Jurors may, but do not have to, provide reasons for how they vote, which will be taken into consideration for how much of a correction needs to be made.

I will be the one to do them, so you can love or hate me, but remember, I'm doing the best I can for the sake of the league.

Sims M-F 7 days simmed in AM. No live sims.

So, as you can see, the name of the league reflects the commitment you will have to have to it. If not for love, don't join. Please PM me with team preference.

Boston Red Sox: Mike Tomeo
Chicago White Sox: Mike Cindric
Cleveland Indians: Chris Slaughenhoupt
Detroit Tigers:
New York Yankees: Jeff Stansberry
Philadelphia Athletics: Warren Hampton
St. Louis Browns: Don Lookingbill
Washington Senators: Jim Goray

Boston Braves: Jason Zimmerman*
Brooklyn Dodgers: Ray Fleetwood
Chicago Cubs: Jeff Schofield
Cincinatti Reds: Neil Hill
New York Giants: Eric Fulling
Philadelphia Phillies:
Pittsburgh Pirates:
St. Louis Cardinals: Arlo Zimmerman*

*no relation that I know of

I will edit this list as teams are accepted.

Last edited by Arlo; 04-05-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
sarcasmo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Sounds fun and different. Please put me down for the Red Sox!

sarcasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
bigslaug
Bat Boy

I would like the Cleveland Indians.
bigslaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #4
stans_cpa
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hello! I am a three-year OOTP veteran. I’m the New York Yankees! I am reposting my comments. Can you tell I’m excited?

FYI, I have been working on a major deep-dive project (my sabr friends want me to write a book!?!) of the all-time greatest players at each position. I have been evaluating Bill James 2001 historical abstract vs. his recent 2019 updated ratings. I’m also using JAWS hall of fame ratings, as well. I would love to share my findings with our group in our league!

Regarding updating ratings, I would suggest maybe we could even consider a reoccurring conference call using WebEx?

I’m already brushing up on my late 1930s Yankee rosters! Who is this 1936 rookie that I get to start my franchise with? Some guy name DiMaggio? Can someone tell me a little bit about this guy? And, I get four seasons with Lou Gehrig!

stans_cpa
Jeff Stansberry
stans_cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
wdhampton
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just the kind of league I have been looking for. Experienced online vet and die hard Red Sox fan but willing to take over one of the following Philadelphia Athletics (Glutton for punishment until the 70's) or Tiger or Cubs
wdhampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #6
RayFleetwood
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Looking to get back in to OOTP after being away for four years. This looks like the league for me. I would be interested in running the Brooklyn Dodgers until 1957. (before Da Bums left for Los Angeles) At which point I would need a different team, to keep my grandfather from rolling over in his grave.
RayFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #7
Arlo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFleetwood View Post
Looking to get back in to OOTP after being away for four years. This looks like the league for me. I would be interested in running the Brooklyn Dodgers until 1957. (before Da Bums left for Los Angeles) At which point I would need a different team, to keep my grandfather from rolling over in his grave.
In OUR league, they don't actually have to move.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote