Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML

Old 12-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #121
Lawn Loaf
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Forest Lake Brewers

Playing in class B townball out of Forest Lake MN
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Lawn Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #122
Lawn Loaf
Banned

Freeport Black Sox

Playing class C townball out of Freeport MN. This will conclude the "F" lettered teams.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 12-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #123
Lawn Loaf
Banned

Hadley Buttermakers

Playing class C townball out of Hadley MN
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 12-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #124
Lawn Loaf
Banned

Hampton Cardinals

Playing in class B townball out of Hampton MN
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 12-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #125
Lawn Loaf
Banned

Hastings Hawks

Playing Class B Townball out of Hastings MN
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 12-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #126
Lawn Loaf
Banned

Hibbing Miners

Playing class B townball out of Hibbing Minnesota
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 12-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #127
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Loaf View Post
So I was idling along today wanting to add this league to my game as an amateur league to keep the glut of free agents busy. But what really got me thinking on recreating this league for OOTP was the fact that these teams play in my backyard. So as a motion to bring some more realty to OOTP, I am going to give this league a go!

From Wikipedia:

Townball has been played in Minnesota since the 1920s. Numbers of teams and leagues operating in Minnesota peaked between the end of World War II (1945) and the arrival of Minnesota's new Major League Baseball team, the Minnesota Twins, in 1961. Since the minimum number of players required to field a team for a single game with no substitutions is nine, then at least 7191 (and in actuality a much larger number) individuals participated in Minnesota townball in the peak year, 1950.

Historically, Townball teams in Minnesota were divided into three classes: AA, A, and B. In Class AA leagues, teams were permitted three players from outside the local area, and salaries were unlimited; essentially, whatever the team's owners or shareholders could afford, they could pay. Because the unrestrained competition and unlimited budgets bankrupted many teams and forced others to move to a lower class, this form of Townball disappeared in Minnesota by 1960, its leagues all victims of their own excesses. Legendary football coach Bud Grant played Class AA townball in Minnesota and Wisconsin and remarked, "I made more money playing [town team] baseball than I did playing for the Minneapolis Lakers...And we won an NBA title while I was playing for them." [3] Another perspective came from a former official from Bird Island, Fabian Sheehan: "We priced ourselves out of the business, but we sure had a good time doing it."

Today there are more than 300 active Townball teams in Minnesota,[2] playing in over 30 leagues throughout Minnesota,[5] with major concentrations in the southern and central areas of the state.[6]

So without further ado...
Love this thread... love your work Lawn Loaf.
It brings back wonderful memories of the early 50s when local semi-pro teams abounded where I lived... mainly Mobile, New Orleans and Florence and Sheffield, Alabama... remember following the teams in the newspapers... they would put the box scores and write up the games... I even went to see the semi-pro teams in northwest Alabama... the Monsanto Maulers -- from Tennessee and sponsored by Monsanto Chemical Company -- they built a nice ballpark and paid the players well... and the team was darn good... too good for my Florence Raiders, Reynolds Ramblers (sponsored by Reynolds Aluminum in Sheffield) and the Russellville Travelers.

Do the local newspaper gives good coverage of the local teams?
Have you gone to any of the games?
If so, how is the talent level?
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #128
Lawn Loaf
Banned

I haven't seen much coverage of the local team in Waseca, however I do know that the ballpark grandstand burned down a few years back and it was a big deal in the news. Not sure if it was arson or accidental, but they put a lot of money into rebuilding it. I drive by it quite a bit, and it's a classic small town park. They keep the grounds up really well. It's a "benefit" I guess for the high local taxes we pay up here in the People's Republic!
I never paid any real attention to the MBA townball leagues, but since I've been working on this thread, I think next summer I'm going to try and catch a few Waseca Braves games. There are probably at least 10 teams within an hour drive from me.
Luck has it that as I was working on this thread and searching for info I came across a business associate of mine, unbeknownst to me at the time, I saw he is the manager and founder of the Blaine Fusion. I thought that was pretty neat, and had a chance to ask him some questions about the league. He says the class B teams, like the Fusion, get quite a bit of college talent. He has had a few Gophers play on his team, but there is a variety of college teams in Minnesota that fill a lot of the rosters. The class C teams are composed of primarily local guys. From the pictures I see it seems to be an advanced level weekend warrior league, guys enjoying cold ones after the game and such.
I'm glad you like the work and ideas posted here, I just hope I can work this league into my game without it crashing. I don't know what the limit OOTP can handle, but I'm sure to be pushing the limits!
Old 12-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #129
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Maple Lake Lakers
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by No Pepper; 12-15-2019 at 02:44 PM.
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #130
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Metro Merchants
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 12-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #131
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Millersville Millers
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 12-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #132
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

This thread is a gold mine of teams for fictional leagues.
Lawn Loaf and No Pepper's graphics work is simple and very well done.
And in my experience, this type shows up better in the game than the fancy logos, jerseys and caps.

Nothing wrong with fancy... they are beautiful at 150 x 150... but at the smaller size on game screens, many times they look cluttered and are hard to read.

Thanks for a fine thread.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #133
Lawn Loaf
Banned

Hopkins Berries

Playing class B townball out of Hopkins MN
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 12-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #134