Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #61
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Looks like GS's 1st rounder was sent to Brooklyn but is protected from 1-20.
If this hand injury is serious it may be best to tank this season. Let Klay have a year + to heal. Let Curry heal. Let the young players play and see who is worth keeping around. Hope for a good draft pick and reset your team for next season and see if you can make some more runs with Klay and Curry in their late primes.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #62
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
If this hand injury is serious it may be best to tank this season. Let Klay have a year + to heal. Let Curry heal. Let the young players play and see who is worth keeping around. Hope for a good draft pick and reset your team for next season and see if you can make some more runs with Klay and Curry in their late primes.
I agree. I think the Dubs wanted to have a huge opening season in the new digs, but stinky stuff happens. Do what is best long term.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #63
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree. I think the Dubs wanted to have a huge opening season in the new digs, but stinky stuff happens. Do what is best long term.
I was looking at tickets for Chase Center and they are ungodly expensive.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #64
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know they are. Don't you remember the Cavs players were complaining about how much tix cost for their families @ the Finals? These are millionaires turning their noses at the price. Imagine what they cost now? The cost of living in San Fran is ridiculous.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #65
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

John Collins suspended 25 games.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #66
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

The NBA over the offseason must of decided to suddenly start enforcing their anti doping rues.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #67
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The prices were crazy at the Oracle before. Eventually the arena filled up with mostly hedge fund managers and stockbrokers and bankers and arm candy who were weighed down with so much cash they couldn't get off their asses to cheer.

I haven't even bothered to look at prices at the Chase Center.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #68
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

And the Collins suspension kills two of my fantasy teams. Suspended players cannot be put on the IR
And they are both keeper leagues so I don't want to cut him.

Fuc*****
Old 11-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #69
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Just a couple years ago so many fans were complaining that the NBA was becoming unwatchable because of player-created super teams like the Warriors and Cavs. Only two teams had any chance of getting to the Finals, etc etc. Some people on sports talk radio here in Cleveland even said it was pointless and boring to watch regular season games.

I remember saying on this forum that dynasties rise and fall, that eventually the Cavs and Warriors would have to give way to other teams.

Now, LeBron is in Los Angeles, and no longer the best player in the league, and a number of other superstars are at teams they weren't at a few months ago. I have trouble remembering who is where now. Harden and Westbrook together again...in Houston??? Porzingis and Doncic together...in Dallas???

And today's Warriors may wind up with a worse record this season than the rebuilding Cavs (who by the way are fun to watch...and ticket prices are such that my wife and I may be able to attend a couple games this season! ).

As the world turns, the NBA soap opera goes on. Truly, the NBA is the most entertaining soap opera there is.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs

Last edited by Antonin; 11-05-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Antonin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #70
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Super teams are still a problem. No one believed the same super teams would last forever.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #71
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
Super teams are still a problem. No one believed the same super teams would last forever.
I don't think Super Teams themselves are the problem, but the look just isn't good when it's players and agents calling the shots to create super teams.

The Super Teams of the 80's were built with savvy drafting & trading by Bill Sharman and Red Auerbach. Same with the Bulls in the 90's (Krause) and the Spurs' long run. The genesis of the Warriors run (now apparently over) as a super team also fit that mold initially (and resulted in the first title), but once Durant engineered his arrival via free agency, it took on the stench of players ganging up.

Don't get me wrong. Players, like anyone else, are within their right to make decisions on where they want to earn their money. But if we're talking good for the game, things like the AD-to-LA agent-engineered move is not a good look and turns fans off. Well, unless I suppose if one is that most-insufferable of all insufferables: A Laker fan.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #72
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Dynasties rise and fall. Some super teams will be super on paper, but won't work out for whatever reason. Many fans will be firmly against super teams until two or three guys join forces on *their* team.

I can live with this era of player-driven leagues. In the past, team owners treated players like field hands. I'm satisfied with players having a lot of money and wielding a *lot* more power. I look forward to the day when more former players become owners. I think it will be great for the game.

It's always been understood here in Cleveland that LeBron James wants to be an owner someday. I can't wait!
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs

Last edited by Antonin; 11-06-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #73
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

So a viral post on reddit said the Warriors call up, Ky Bowman, qualified for low income housing because his salary is under $80,000. This article by a San Fran paper disputes that, noting his salary is bumped when he is on an NBA roster.

YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT!!!!!

The story here isn't that a professional athlete can't afford to a place to stay in the Bay Area. The story is that a single man making $80,000 a year is poor enough to qualify for government assistance.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #74
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Is it just me or do injuries in the NBA this season seem from frequent than normal?
Old 11-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #75
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is it just me or do injuries in the NBA this season seem from frequent than normal?
If you follow the Dubs, it probably does seem more than usual.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #76
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you follow the Dubs, it probably does seem more than usual.
I am seeing lots of lots of minor to medium ones where players miss a few games. Maybe I am just paying more attention this year.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #77
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So a viral post on reddit said the Warriors call up, Ky Bowman, qualified for low income housing because his salary is under $80,000. This article by a San Fran paper disputes that, noting his salary is bumped when he is on an NBA roster.

YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT!!!!!

The story here isn't that a professional athlete can't afford to a place to stay in the Bay Area. The story is that a single man making $80,000 a year is poor enough to qualify for government assistance.
While 80k a year wouldn't even afford living in a car in SF, it would pay for a decent house in Antioch if he wanted to commute.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #78
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Report says Steph Curry unlikely to play again this season.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #79
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Very bad news if true. Still, it's hard to feel sorry for him. He's got championship rings, "more money than God" (as my friend Big Al used to say), and a nice family. He's accomplished more than most guys who have ever played in the league.

I can imagine his wife telling him, "Look, Sweetie, you've got everything a guy could want. Step back, slow down, and smell the roses. Spend more time with the kids. Coach a little league team...."
Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #80
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Somehow, I'm picturing a shirtless JR Smith on a Carribbean beach somewhere poking pins into a doll dressed in Tim Hardaway throwback Warriors jersey.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance