Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 07-22-2003, 10:56 AM   #61
woburn

The Phils picked a great time to lose 7 in a row. A longshot at best, but was hoping for some luck leading to a hot streak. Instead, a streak in the other direction...
woburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:18 PM   #62
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by woburn
The Phils picked a great time to lose 7 in a row. A longshot at best, but was hoping for some luck leading to a hot streak. Instead, a streak in the other direction...
Drafting a spot or two higher will ease the pain.

The Phillies and A's both with winning records? I'll have to do a search at BB Ref and see how long it has been since the stars aligned in this order.

Edit: and the answer is: 1932.

Ouch! No wonder Philadelphia fans are so cranky. Here are the respective W-L records of the two franchises since 1946, the debut of the PWBL.

A's.
64-90 '46
77-77 '47
84-70 '48
85-63 '49 One week remaining.

Phillies
52-102
59-95
63-91
77-71 One week to go.

Both have shown steady, consistent progress in turning around two desultory organizations.

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-22-2003 at 12:29 PM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:26 PM   #63
aleib
Minors (Single A)

Why do my Brownies wait til the last two weeks to start a winning streak.
aleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #64
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by aleib
Why do my Brownies wait til the last two weeks to start a winning streak.
I've wondered that myself, though probably not as much as you have. Your club is definitely headed in the right direction though. You will have another high draft pick this season to join your expanding horde of young cheap talent. I think, strangely enough, your model is going to be the Giants. Slow but steady progress until having a breakout season like they are this season.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

“I confused it with the chicken’s neck,” Mocanu, who was admitted to the emergency hospital in Galati, was quoted as saying. “I cut it ... and the dog rushed and ate it.”
holyroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:16 PM   #65
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by holyroller
Slow but steady progress until having a breakout season like they are this season.
Draft someone like Restelli in the 2nd round and accelerate the process.

Dingo's latest brace of blasts, 3 this past week, has moved him into a tie for the major league lead. We haven't seen a power surge like this, 19 HR's in his last 41 games, since Greenberg crushed 54 shots in '47.

Browns have had some tough breaks this season. Talent drops for BB for their past two #1 selections, Campanella and Minoso. Their fine 3B, Dillinger, had a similar drop as well. Teams like the Browns and Nats must feel snakebit when this kind of dark cloud continues to haunt their best efforts.

Still, I'd agree with Andy's prognostication. A sharp upward turn could be on the horizon.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:30 AM   #66
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

"Earl Torgeson has followed up his season best .287 average in August, by going 1 for 44 (.023) in September.

But when you add in his 23 walks during that stretch, he has posted the rare .023/.358/.023 line. Can't say I've seen that very often, or ever.

(And that goes with the .000/.407/.000 from this past week...at least he isn't just flailing away at everything trying to get a hit.)"

The preceding insight brought to you by the Cleveland Indians fine GM, Scott Cadwell.

The Earl of Snohomish is hitting .227 this season but sports an RC/27 of 5.6 due to his 91 BB in 335 at bats and his developing power. Arrived in a trade from the Tigers on Independence Day and it is one that Indians fans will be sure to celebrate for years to come.

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-23-2003 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:32 AM   #67
aleib
Minors (Single A)

Brownies are looking forward to another good #1 draft pick in the upcoming draft. Hopefully we'll be able to fill a hole at 1B
Old 07-23-2003, 11:48 AM   #68
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by aleib
Brownies are looking forward to another good #1 draft pick in the upcoming draft. Hopefully we'll be able to fill a hole at 1B
Ouch, Ray Sanders takes issue with being referred to as a hole. A .382 OBP this season, 12 HR and a 5.1 rate in RC/27 are respectable numbers. I'm guessing his agent is getting his ear chewed off with a heated phone call from his client as we speak.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:12 PM   #69
wireman
All Star Reserve

Quote:
originally posted by darkhorse:
The Earl of Snohomish is hitting .227 this season but sports an RC/27 of 5.6 due to his 91 BB in 335 at bats and his developing power. Arrived in a trade from the Tigers on Independence Day and it is one that Indians fans will be sure to celebrate for years to come.
What would the Senators have given to have gotten their hands on Torgeson!

Somewhere along the line, when I wasn't looking, he took an unfortunate hit to his BA talent rating. But he's young and could yet get it back.

In the meantime, all those walks and a homer here and there are compensation. His ability to draw free passes "slump-proofs" him to a degree.

In addition to his power and walking prowess, I think he would probably steal 50 bases for Cleveland next year if his manager asked him to.

The Nats, in their trading frenzy this year, "settled" for Ferris Fain, who hits more for average and less for power, can play third base after a fashion and has no speed. Washington fans like him.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:17 PM   #70
aleib
Minors (Single A)

LOL@ Roger, yes Sanders has done a fabulous job for the Browns at 1B. We took a chance on him last season and it worked fairly well. He got on base a lot this season and will probably finish out his contract in a Browns uniform next season as well. But he's getting up there in age and he's not fitting into the Browns youth movement that is building for a solid run in the 50s!
Old 07-23-2003, 04:27 PM   #71
Professor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
. . . I think, strangely enough, your model is going to be the Giants. Slow but steady progress until having a breakout season like they are this season.

I was surprised at the late season surge. A couple of good pitchers and am I liking my outfield of Marshall, Thomson and Kokos (only 21). My only question for next year, will Mize tank with the $18mm I am going to pay him the next couple of years.
FBL : Indianapolis Arrows
=========
Hattrick: High Tops
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:11 PM   #72
BCStone57
Minors (Double A)

Heading into the last week of the season the Cardinals are holding onto a 3 game lead over the Dodgers. In the past 10 games the Dodgers are 7-3 while the Cards have gone 6-4 and continue to play consistent baseball, Barring a total collapse the Cards should be able to hang on to win there 3rd straight N.L. title. But stranger things have happened such as the Cubs of "48" going undefeated the last week of the season, Only to tie the Cards on the last day of the season forcing a 1 game playoff that the Cards took.

All is not well in St. Louis, The pitching is a major concern ever since SP Murray Dickson went out with a season ending injury. Dickson was having a stellar year (18-5 3.17 ERA) leading the league in wins, Until his injury. He was the leading force of the team when staff ace Howie Pollet went down with a 5 week injury. SP Harry Brecheen has been a big disappointment this year going 11-17 with a 4.21 ERA, Certainly not the pitcher of past season's having won 63 games over the past 3 seasons, Prior to the "49" season.

Not all the news is bad, The team has had many great contribution's from a variety of player's, Leading the team this year has been Cardinal great Stan Musial, Posting numbers of .336 BA 24 HR's 123 RBI's and looks to be the N.L. MVP. Other key contributor's have been 3B Whitey Kurowski who has had a power surge this year, Which was a welcome sight with the departure of Hank Greenberg last year. Kurowski has batted .315 with 21 HR's and 112 RBI's. The RF platooning of Enos Slaughter and Pat Seerey have also produced some impressive numbers, Between the two they have combined to hit .293 27 HR's with 122 RBI's. And we must not forget the effort of last years acquisition from the Yankees, Al Gionfriddo who has been huge in the 2 slot this year, Gionfriddo has batted .342 with an OBP of .428 along with a SLG % of .481 while striking out only 8 times in 368 AB's.

To add to this, Youngsters Gil Hodges and C Les Moss have been playing the way the Cards had envisioned at the beginning of the year, Just in time for the final run of the season. This month Hodges is hitting .313 with a SLG % of .563 and has hit 5 HR's in his last 85 AB's hitting only 2 the previous 4 month's, It looks as if Hodges is coming into his own. Since being called up, Moss has hit .333 with an OBP of .467 in limited playing time, Clyde Klutz (.265 9 HR's 50 RBI's) will continue to be the starting catcher, But Moss is a major upgrade over backup catcher Dave Wilbur ( .211 .298 SLG %).

To sum it all up, The Cardinals offense can play with anybody in the league, While not dependent on the HR to produce there runs, The Cards rely getting on base, Hitting line drives, High team batting average, And pitching. With starting pitchers Howie Pollet ( 20-7 2.70 ERA ), Fred Martin ( 17-9 3.30 ERA ) and the addition of Al Brazle ( 9-1 1.48 ERA ) to the starting rotation, The Cards are in good shape going into the last week of the season, The big concern is the bullpen, Which is less than stellar and considered to be the weak link of the team.

After tonight, It will be decided which teams will be matched up against each other in the World Series, There is a great race between the Yankees and Bosox, The Yanks are stumbling abit going into the last week, Losing 4 straight, While the Bosox are gaining steam, Winning 2 in a row, Closing the gap to 2 games with 6 to go. The Yanks face Philadelphia and are 13-8 vs the A's this year, Then face the White Sox the final 3 games of the season. The Yankees are 12-7 vs the White Sox. The Bosox go up against the Indians and are 10-9 vs the tribe, And then finish the season vs the hapless Senators, The Sox taking 14 out of 20 meeting's between the two this year.

The National League could be interesting with the Cardinals going up against the Phillies, The Cards have not fared well vs the Phillies this year, Going a dismal 5-14 against a good young Philadelphia team. The Cards finish out the season vs the floundering Reds, Whom the team has owned this year, Going 15-4 vs the Reds. The Dodgers start out the final 6 games, Against the surprise team of the year, The Braves. Brooklyn has gone 10-8 against them this year. The final 3 games of the year for "Da Bums" are against the Pittsburgh Pirates, Whom the Dodgers went 13-6 this year. So it should make for a good finish, And my reaching for the Pepto Bismol in the medicine cabinet just before the first pitch is thrown to start the final 6 games of the year. My only calming thought is if my team goes 3-3, Then the Dodgers must sweep the rest of there games, Going 6-0 to tie my beloved Cards. But I havent forgotten the "48" miracle finish by the Cubs either..........."Honey" Will you get me the Pepto.......I'm not feeling so well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BCStone57; 07-23-2003 at 06:55 PM.
BCStone57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:17 PM   #73
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Great writeup Brian!

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

“I confused it with the chicken’s neck,” Mocanu, who was admitted to the emergency hospital in Galati, was quoted as saying. “I cut it ... and the dog rushed and ate it.”
Old 07-23-2003, 05:43 PM   #74
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Splendid article!!!!!!

Moss is a major upgrade over backup catcher Dave Wilbur ( .211 .298 SLG %).

Del Wilber puts off plans to buy a house in St. Louis.

With starting pitchers Howie Pollet ( 20-7 2.70 ERA ), Fred Martin ( 17-9 3.30 ERA ) and the addition of Al Brazle ( 9-1 1.48 ERA ) to the starting rotation, The Cards are in good shape going into the last week of the season.

Connie Mack tried all season to trade for Al Brazle, being of the firm opinion that he would be an All-Star as a starting pitcher.

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-23-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:37 PM   #75
aleib
Minors (Single A)

Brownies are start to wonder if they should have traded Moss to the Cards!
Old 07-23-2003, 06:46 PM   #76
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Vern Stephens signed with the Browns for a $500 bonus at age 17. By the time he was 21, he was the regular St. Louis shortstop. In 1944, when the Browns won their last pennant, he led the AL in RBI and finished third in the MVP voting behind Tiger pitcher Hal Newhouser. In 1945 Stephens led the AL in homers with 24.

The next year, he narrowly missed a suspension from organized baseball. He signed a five-year, $175,000 contract to play in the outlaw Mexican League of the Pasqual brothers. He had been in Mexico only a few days when his father, a minor league umpire, and Browns scout Jack Fournier drove down and brought him back. Fearing the Pasquals might try to stop him, he exchanged clothes with his father and walked across the International Bridge.

A fortunate turn of events for Browns fans as Stephens has continued his solid play at SS, average range but a strong arm and soft hands, and shown remarkable consistency at the plate. As he has matured physically, the power has increased and the '49 season may be his best yet with a .294 BA, 22 HR and 102 RBI.

Stephens could very well be fashioning a HOF career. At age 28, he has accumulated 1246 hits and 139 HR in 8 seasons as St. Louis regular shortstop. If his power continues to grow and he can learn some patience at the plate, only 37 BB in 551 AB this year, another decade of consistent and excellent production would see him approaching 3000 hits.

The Browns have been a low profile squad since the '44 pennant but any future successes will have Vern Stephens playing a major role.

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-23-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:46 PM   #77
aleib
Minors (Single A)

I have been so impressed with Stephens this year. Browns fans are very happy that the team did not trade him away last season when there were rumors of him departing the Browns.

A solid hitting 1B would give the Browns a great hitting IF and a strong defensive presence with Fox at 2B.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:05 AM   #78
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Tuesday 9/20

BOS - 6
CLE - 0

PHA - 6
NYY - 1

Yankees lead slips to just one game while the magic number remains at 5.

BRO - 4
BSN - 1

PHI - 6
STL - 4

Dodgers gain a game and pull to within just two. Magic number still at 4.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

Last edited by holyroller; 07-24-2003 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:08 AM   #79
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Wednesday 9/21

CLE - 5
BOS - 1

PHA - 11
NYY - 6

Just one game continues to seperate the two clubs. Yankees magic number now at 4.

BRO - 3
BSN - 2

STL - 7
PHI - 3

Both teams winning keeps the sliver thin margin at two. Magic number drops to three.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

Old 07-24-2003, 12:11 AM   #80
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wednesday 9/21

CLE - 5
BOS - 1

PHA - 11
NYY - 6.
A's try to help the BoSox but they'll have none of it.