Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2003, 12:23 AM   #1
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

PWBL News 7/18

Ted Williams

When history looks back on the '49 PWBL season, it will be remembered above all for the remarkable performance of Ted Williams. With another player of the week award, Ted continues to build on his truly stunning numbers. At .409 for the season, he appears to be assured of racking up the first .400 average in the history of the league. As everyone knows, however, the value of Williams is more than just batting average. The traditional stat line of .409, 31 HR, 129 RBI's is impressive enough. But it doesn't stop there. 45 doubles, 134 runs scored, 330 total bases, 138 walks, just 30 K's. A .545(!) OBP, a .711 SLG, a 1.256 OPS, .302 ISO power, 1.680 TAVG, 197.3 Runs Created, 18.31 runs created per 27 outs. He also has two weeks to add to those impressive totals. There is no doubt that he will take home the MVP award for the fourth season in a row, every single season of the PWBL's existence. Just a truly amazing season from an amazing player. Glad to have you Teddy Ballgame.

Hal Newhouser

Despite the stunning performance of Williams, the Red Sox have finally slipped from the first place perch they have held for the entire season, several times with a double digit cushion. The New York Yankees have been baseball's hottest team over the second half of the year and now own a stunning 4 game lead. Yogi Berra, Ralph Kiner, Bobby Brown, Ken Keltner, Charlie Keller, Joe DiMaggio, and baseballs home run leader Hank Sauer have led a potent offense that now ranks sixth in all of baseball in runs scored. The strength of the Yankees however, has been the best pitching in all of baseball. Hal Newhouser looks destined to win his first AL Cy Young with a 24-4 mark and boasting a sterling 2.24 ERA. As if Newhouser wasn't enough, the Yankees also can trot out Mort Cooper, Johnny Beazley, Ed Bahr, and Bill Bevens. The resurgent Philadelphia A's have shown moxie by pulling to within 8 games, but appear destined to finish, at best, second and, more likely, third place.

Luke Easter

In the NL, it looks like it is down to the Cardinals and Dodgers, with the Cards holding a distinct advantage. The 1947 champions and two-time NL pennant winners have managed to rebound from a very slow start and now continue to hold of the challenge from the '46 NL pennant winning bums, who have been led by remarkable rookie Luke Easter, he of the .265, 25, and 119 stat line. The Phillies have continued their remarkable turnaround and hold steady at 7 games back. Despite not having enough in the end, Philadelphia has to be very happy with their performance this season. Coming in to the year, they had the worst franchise in all of baseball. Also surprising have been the New York Giants who have come on like wildfire and sit 8 games back at 76-66. By winning six straight this sim, they have passed the Cubs for fourth place. After last season's one game playoff appearance and their hot early start, leading the league for most of the first two months, Cub fans imagined a pennant. As is usually the case in the windy city, the fans have been disappointed yet again. The Cubs have slipped to 74-68, ten games behind the pace.

With two weeks remaining on the season, four teams appear to be serious contenders for the pennant, two in each league. The Red Sox and Yankees do not play again this season. The Sox have to take on the aforementioned A's in two series, play one with the spunky Browns, and get to finish meekly against the lowly White Sox. The Sox should have a little easier time of it, taking on the Browns, Tigers, Indians, and Nats. In the NL, the Cardinals finish with the Cubs, Braves, Phillies, and then the awful Reds. Brooklyn has a much easier schedule, playing the Phillies, Reds, Braves, and the Reds only competition for worst team status, the Pirates. Just two weeks remain on the season. Let's hope this years race can provide us with as much excitement as did last years!

*note: all of the above pictures are from darkhorse's fabulous PWBL face pack*

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

“I confused it with the chicken’s neck,” Mocanu, who was admitted to the emergency hospital in Galati, was quoted as saying. “I cut it ... and the dog rushed and ate it.”

Last edited by holyroller; 07-19-2003 at 03:32 AM.
holyroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 12:46 AM   #2
The Professor
Hall Of Famer

Great write up!
Old 07-19-2003, 01:53 AM   #3
couriers
All Star Reserve

Very nice.
couriers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
wireman
All Star Reserve

The fact that the Bosox close the season against my Nats would seem to give them a good chance to come back

Since the Senators decided the future is not now and unloaded a number of great veterans, we've won about a game a week.

Wasted in the service of this Lost Season is the great performance of rookie outfielder Monte Irvin, who is batting .305 and has already set the PWBL Senators' all-time home run record with 17. I know that doesn't sound like many to 21st-century types, but anyone familiar with Griffith Stadium in 1949 will understand.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
The Professor
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wasted in the service of this Lost Season is the great performance of rookie outfielder Monte Irvin, who is batting .305 and has already set the PWBL Senators' all-time home run record with 17. I know that doesn't sound like many to 21st-century types, but anyone familiar with Griffith Stadium in 1949 will understand.
I am pretty sure that every big bat that travels into the 'Grif' in SO49 cries a river...that place (along with the late-40s era Comiskey Park) practically outlaws the long-ball

Glad to see that Monte Irvin is doing well in PWBL! In SO49 he was a first round draft pick of the Yankees, spent 1949 in Single A ball and retired...then was hired, suprisingly, as the Bombers manager in 1950, a position he was only relieved of a few weeks ago (in 1955).

Good luck with that rebuilding project...hope Monte gives those Nats a few more good years
Old 07-19-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Re: PWBL News 7/18

Quote:
Originally posted by holyroller
The Sox have to take on the aforementioned A's in two series, play one with the spunky Browns, and get to finish meekly against the lowly White Sox. The Sox should have a little easier time of it, taking on the Browns, Tigers, Indians, and Nats.
Excellent writeup, Andy.

Despite their lead, the Yankees appear doomed as the schedule seems bereft of games for the Bronx Bombers.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Re: PWBL News 7/18

Glad to have you Teddy Ballgame.

In your dreams, Cub fans.

Hal Newhouser looks destined to win his first AL Cy Young with a 24-4 mark and boasting a sterling 2.24 ERA.

Genius trade by the Yankees GM. He is to be commended.

the '46 NL pennant winning Bums, who have been led by remarkable rookie Luke Easter, he of the .265, 25, and 119 stat line.

And Brooklyn won the inaugural PWBL World Series over the heavily favored Red Sox.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:42 PM   #8
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Professor
Glad to see that Monte Irvin is doing well in PWBL! In SO49 he was a first round draft pick of the Yankees, spent 1949 in Single A ball and retired
Irvin's import was corrected to account for his lousy '49 MLB stats which would have lead to a very poor import for such a fine player. The Nats will be enjoying his heroics at the plate for years to come.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:46 PM   #9
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by wireman
Since the Senators decided the future is not now and unloaded a number of great veterans, we've won about a game a week.
Do the Nats have a shot at the top selection and the Whitey Ford sweepstakes?
Old 07-19-2003, 04:58 PM   #10
wireman
All Star Reserve

Quote:
originally posted by darkhorse:
Do the Nats have a shot at the top selection and the Whitey Ford sweepstakes?
No, unfortunately, we're not THAT bad. Zach, the sly one, is in the lead.

BTW, it's good to have you back in cyberland, amigo. It was a long time. I'm looking forward to your return to the PWBL.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:21 PM   #11
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW, it's good to have you back in cyberland, amigo. It was a long time. I'm looking forward to your return to the PWBL.
Same here. I'll content myself with being the league's number one fan for the interim.

If Zach were really crafty, he'd have staved this collapse off until the end of next season and the Mantle/Mays bonanza. Whitey is a superb consolation prize, however.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:33 PM   #12
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Re: Re: PWBL News 7/18

Quote:
Originally posted by darkhorse
Excellent writeup, Andy.

Despite their lead, the Yankees appear doomed as the schedule seems bereft of games for the Bronx Bombers.
LOL

Damn, that is what you get when you write tired.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

“I confused it with the chicken’s neck,” Mocanu, who was admitted to the emergency hospital in Galati, was quoted as saying. “I cut it ... and the dog rushed and ate it.”
holyroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 10:38 PM   #13
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

I 'bout crapped myself when I checked the website a few minutes ago and saw that Dino Restelli has crushed 16 HR in his last 129 AB and rocketed near the top of the charts in that dept.

A shame he missed a sizable chunk of the season with a nasty injury in the early going. Took him awhile to get the power stroke in place. What a badass in CF for the Indians. A's fans still get weepy when his name is mentioned after the team came so tantalizingly close to drafting him.

Ted Williams needs to be checked for a navel. That kind of production is inhuman. I have this dreadful feeling he is going to miss out on the .400 milestone. Will follow his progress intently.

The series this past week between the Yankees and Red Sox is worthy of a writeup. Amazing and dramatic contests between two fine, worthy opponents.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:23 AM   #14
bigsmooth
Major Leagues

I know everyone is wondering what happened to the 1st half wonderboys...Well with two significant injuries to the Braves pitching staff (Dizzy Trout and Warren Spahn) they have petered out down the stretch and currently hold a 72-70 record. Now here comes my pitch:

Roy Sievers for NL Rookie of the Year!!!

Rob Tomlinson
Boston Braves GM
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:40 AM   #15
wireman
All Star Reserve

Sievers has had a very fine season indeed.

20th in BA, tied for 3rd in HR, tied for 13th in OBP, 5th in OPS. Hard to argue with that.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #16
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sievers has had a very fine season indeed.

20th in BA, tied for 3rd in HR, tied for 13th in OBP, 5th in OPS. Hard to argue with that.
When the game hands out the ROY Award, Luke Easter will take the prize. When the Cato report is run, I expect that Sievers will have a significant advantage in WinShares over Easter.

The Braves were sagacious in their selection of Sievers with the first selection overall.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:16 PM   #17
A.J. Holz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by darkhorse

The Braves were sagacious
Cool word.
JOBL - Grand Forks Varmints (former owner)
FIBB - Chicago Fire
TMBU - Tulsa Tomcats (former owner)
ACL - Oakland A's (former owner)
ACB - Rockville Superbas
A.J. Holz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:03 PM   #18
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Don't encourage him.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:19 PM   #19
wireman
All Star Reserve

Quote:
originally posted by darkhorse:
When the game hands out the ROY Award, Luke Easter will take the prize.
I never doubt DH in OOTP matters, but I am curious as to why he's so certain Easter will get the nod.

Is it his league-leading RBI total, or something else? Or is this a "trade secret"?

Or are you just so darned sagacious?
Old 07-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #20
bigsmooth
Major Leagues

I am sure Dark Horse is right as well, but I know who the real winner is, and it isn't Luke Easter...Sorry Brooklyn, but Sievers had a better year and should be NL ROY!!!

Bigsmooth!!!
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote