Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #2681
sabakon
Minors (Triple A)

You would think running 3 theme teams would put me in a position to grab at least SOMETHING from the collection roll-out. Well, I guess I'm one card away from completing the LEFTIES & WRIGHTIES collection.

Anyone got a 79-point All-Star, SP Lefty Grove, PHA, 1933 they want to unload?

NEW ZEALAND SILVER FERNS
Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

Proud members of "Our League"!
sabakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #2682
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabakon View Post
You would think running 3 theme teams would put me in a position to grab at least SOMETHING from the collection roll-out. Well, I guess I'm one card away from completing the LEFTIES & WRIGHTIES collection.

haven't been able to complete anything with the Waffletown bunch yet either.... listed the missions that give reward players who fit the pre-ww2 bill and lurked around the AH last night/this morning to pick off any cheapo deals I could get, but still got plenty to go to complete anything...

my other directionless team was able to complete a couple of 'em right off the bat... of course, I've just been blowing their points on standard packs every Monday night, so they have more cards to draw from....
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #2683
sabakon
Minors (Triple A)

I just realized that one of my other teams has the card I need. I suppose it's cheating to put it in the auction and buy it with my other team.

NEW ZEALAND SILVER FERNS

Old 06-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #2684
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
I just realized that one of my other teams has the card I need. I suppose it's cheating to put it in the auction and buy it with my other team.
You're not able to do that. At least with the same license. I already tried this as I wanted to transfer some cards (at a fair price).
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #2685
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
You're not able to do that. At least with the same license. I already tried this as I wanted to transfer some cards (at a fair price).
Sell it to a buddy, who will in turn sell it to you

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #2686
sabakon
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Are YOU my buddy?

NEW ZEALAND SILVER FERNS

Old 06-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #2687
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Are YOU my buddy?
I would feel so guilty if the card got bought by someone else.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #2688
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I’m having the same problem with my 70’s themed team. Either not the right guy, overpriced right guy or the same few pages of names that I’ve moved passed already. The team generates a decent amount of points so I just have to sit tight and be patient for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me tell you about the challenges of restricting yourself to a smaller timeframe. Though to be honest, my restriction isn't terrible - I only use players from 1959 through 1988 on Motown, so it's more like 3 decades rather than 1 for a 70s or 80s team. Even then, I often find it challenging.

When I search the AH by position, I'm frequently looking at half a page of guys... often when looking at relief pitchers there's only 5 or so to consider (well, guys who are high silvers and above that is...). Patience is definitely a virtue.

One concession I am making is that I am willing to consider "Peak" cards for players who played in that era, even though they may have been active outside the timeframe. Not that I have any, yet, since most Peak cards are pretty expensive (and to be honest, it seems like most of the Peak cards have only decent fielding - it's rare to see a Peak card with excellent fielding. Strikes me as weird, but maybe that's a byproduct of how they determine the stats for the cards).
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #2689
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:

The only teams of mine that completed any collections were the ones that opened lots of packs. None of my OL teams are even close to having any collections. That's probably because those teams don't open many packs, and since they're F2P, when I get a new player, I often sell off the guy who's being replaced, since I need the PP! So it doesn't surprise me that you weren't able to complete any either.

With the cost to complete some of these collections, it might be cheaper to just buy the SE card when it comes up on the AH!
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #2690
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:

Barring that, some uniformity in the names would be nice. Maybe like soccer clubs do it: "Tottenham Hotspur FC" looks OK and is a common format. If everyone was "Sad Hill Hunters OL" would that look better for the OCD'ers like me?

Thank you for adding the OL (without the dash) to your teams.

That totally works and should also work in the search.
Appreciate the compromise.

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #2691
Magus978
All Star Starter

I thought relegation would be certain after Monday...but instead New York sits 23-23. I mouthed "what the actual ****". I was looking forward to bronze, but now we're a few games clear of the drop and made a nice little run to get back to .500

Now I have absolutely no idea what to think. What is a Positive Magus to do?

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #2692
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
I thought relegation would be certain after Monday...but instead New York sits 23-23. I mouthed "what the actual ****". I was looking forward to bronze, but now we're a few games clear of the drop and made a nice little run to get back to .500

Easy there, Chicken Little. The season is still young.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #2693
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Easy there, Chicken Little. The season is still young.
Chicken little? Ate her last night.

Delicious.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #2694
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
Let me tell you about the challenges of restricting yourself to a smaller timeframe. Though to be honest, my restriction isn't terrible - I only use players from 1959 through 1988 on Motown, so it's more like 3 decades rather than 1 for a 70s or 80s team. Even then, I often find it challenging.

When I search the AH by position, I'm frequently looking at half a page of guys... often when looking at relief pitchers there's only 5 or so to consider (well, guys who are high silvers and above that is...). Patience is definitely a virtue.

One concession I am making is that I am willing to consider "Peak" cards for players who played in that era, even though they may have been active outside the timeframe. Not that I have any, yet, since most Peak cards are pretty expensive (and to be honest, it seems like most of the Peak cards have only decent fielding - it's rare to see a Peak card with excellent fielding. Strikes me as weird, but maybe that's a byproduct of how they determine the stats for the cards).

It’s constricting but it makes it interesting. You really have to know how and where to spend your points. I have one exception I’m playing an 1983 Bob Boone. I got him in one of the six starter packs and he came up with the Phillies in ‘72 so I convinced myself thats fine.

I have two teams on opposite ends right now the Knights have PP spend and nothing to spend it on. San Pedro with no era/decade restrictions isn’t generating to PP needed to make changes it needs to make to get to the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #2695
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post

All three of my teams are dead even .500 right now too. All you can do is be patient and let the PP build up a bit. Cruise control. This is the only game Ive ever played in 20 years of gaming where the less you play usually the better you do lol. Make a decision and watch for a week. It fails? Make another decision and watch for a week. Its a weird concept for us natural micromanagers to struggle with.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #2696
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Goliathus: I saw in the first few weeks that the Crayons continued the Argonaut tradition of beating up on the Armada. Funny as they're a totally different team to the Vikings. I guess my digital dudes just have your number. Rough start for both my Bronze teams otherwise though.
This can be seen as me finding a reason for failure, but I sort of abandoned the season and tune the ball park back to all 1.000 for data gathering(as in how my team do on a neutral playground for a more neutral data so I know where my holes truly are) so I don't expect my team to play great against any of the OL teams. Hopefully once we are go back to serious contending mode, I can have a positive win rate against Crayon. For now, your teams are free to pound at my team for the PPs.

Quote:
Barring that, some uniformity in the names would be nice. Maybe like soccer clubs do it: "Tottenham Hotspur FC" looks OK and is a common format. If everyone was "Sad Hill Hunters OL" would that look better for the OCD'ers like me?

This rebel votes for uniformity and OL. I am surprised I did not thought about this solution so easily. "OL" certainly looks like part of a real name instead of "-OL" or the "[OL]" I suggested(and no one cared) long time ago. My pet peeve has always been that -OL just feels like too digital to be a part of a non-digital baseball club name. Another pet peeve is match report, but I am getting used to it now.

Quote:

Now that this is out here in the forum, I wonder how legal it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
All three of my teams are dead even .500 right now too. All you can do is be patient and let the PP build up a bit. Cruise control. This is the only game Ive ever played in 20 years of gaming where the less you play usually the better you do lol. Make a decision and watch for a week. It fails? Make another decision and watch for a week. Its a weird concept for us natural micromanagers to struggle with.

I think you can still make adjustment after a day or two. I used to do that(rearrange batters, adjust pitching position, change players, adjust strategy slider) and I have seen improvement for my team, but I grew tired of spending so much time micro all my teams nowadays so I rarely do that.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #2697
Magus978
All Star Starter

Grabbed 88 Warren Spahn for 3,200 for my Mets team. Hoping to sell Frank Viola to a desperate person who needs him for a collection so I can then grab 88 Al Leiter. A lot of great pitchers played for the Mets at some point, but the position players takes a little doing.

Seeing a good Mets team brings me great joy, especially when I'm the one running it.

EDIT: Found my desperate buyer! This rotation is now stacked.

Last edited by Magus978; 06-18-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:20 AM   #2698
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Changing all my teams to “OL” from “-OL.”

I want to go with theme teams. My Puppies team has a power hitting theme. But, I find it hard enough to find non-Live players as it is. And, I am also completely obsessed with winning. Theme teams make it harder to win. Drawback is that it ends up making my teams filled with a lot of the same players.

Setting your park factors to 1.0 is a really good way to see what your team’s strengths and weaknesses are. I’ve done the same thing in the past.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 AM   #2699
Goliathus
Major Leagues

I think power hitting is a broad enough theme that you can certainly find enough players to make a winning team. The narrower themes will certainly hit a wall eventually, like I expect my world theme's ceiling to be at gold at most. There are certainly a lot of great players out of US but I don't think the card pool has enough versatility to handle the true elites, even with my houserule allowing 4 US players max. And it's not like I will have the PP to get 100 Pedro Martinez and 100 Mariano Rivera.

I think the decade theme is tough to play as well, unless it's broader like three decades, pre-50s or something like that.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 AM   #2700
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
I think power hitting is a broad enough theme that you can certainly find enough players to make a winning team. The narrower themes will certainly hit a wall eventually, like I expect my world theme's ceiling to be at gold at most. There are certainly a lot of great players out of US but I don't think the card pool has enough versatility to handle the true elites, even with my houserule allowing 4 US players max. And it's not like I will have the PP to get 100 Pedro Martinez and 100 Mariano Rivera.

I think the decade theme is tough to play as well, unless it's broader like three decades, pre-50s or something like that.
Bottom line I think is that they need to issue more different non_Live cards and increase the drop rate for them too.