Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:01 AM   #1
oldtimey
Minors (Single A)

In-game CPU bullpen warmup

I have not been here for awhile, so I apologize if this question has been asked and answered. Does it still exist where the CPU does not warm up its relievers in the bullpen? Are relievers still brought into the game without prior notice that they've been warming up? Thanks in advance for your help.
oldtimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:37 AM   #2
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
AI does not warm up

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
oldtimey
Minors (Single A)

Thank you for your response. The game looks great, but I won't be purchasing this year.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey View Post
Thank you for your response. The game looks great, but I won't be purchasing this year.
Why?
The game is awesome.
I don't use the warm-up rule either.
I think its there as an added difficulty level if you want to play out your games like I do.
But don't let that keep you from buying this years edition.
Markus went all out on this one.

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Can someone explain what the difference is? I'm fairly new to ootp and don't follow baseball too closely.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

I don't get this complaint at all.

We should want to play against the strongest AI possible. Baseball is an extremely complicated game to program AI for. As it is, OOTP's CPU is nowhere close to perfect, but it's still one of the best out there. Why would you want to add another layer of complexity to AI decision making? A layer that would inevitably lead to a noticeably weaker AI, while not really changing your experience or decision making one bit.

But I guess if this really bothers you, and it is on this hill your willing to deny yourself an amazing baseball sim, well, that's your business, I guess. Enjoy not playing an absolutely gorgeous and sophisticated baseball simulation.
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
sentry85
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyal83 View Post
Can someone explain what the difference is? I'm fairly new to ootp and don't follow baseball too closely.
i usually sim my seasons and play very few games, but i like the the way the game looks, and feel while playing the games. As a simmer i rely a lot on scouting which seems more informative than past years.
sentry85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
oldtimey
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
Why?
The game is awesome.
I don't use the warm-up rule either.
I think its there as an added difficulty level if you want to play out your games like I do.
But don't let that keep you from buying this years edition.
Markus went all out on this one.
The way I play is CPU v CPU, so I watch the AI play out the games, pitch by pitch. The focus of every MLB game, from about the 5th inning on is the bullpen, along with the starting pitchers pitch counts. Without "action in the bullpen," the in-game experience loses its realism...and to me , that is a gamebreaker. I enjoy a simulation from a perspective of the fan/media. I don't care about the "business of baseball," trying to match the success of the Stengel-era Yankees with my GM/managerial acumen. I just like to see history evolving pitch-by-pitch, game-by-game, then document the cumlative result. So, In-game realism is the most important aspect of any sim for me.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

Quote:
Troll
Cowboys3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #10
oldtimey
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys3356 View Post
Troll
Why am I a troll? I pointed this out way back when I stopped playing OOTP 13. I said then that I was looking forward to playing the game again if this was fixed. Each version since then, I have asked the same question and the response has been "no, the CPU does not warm up its relievers." I issue my thanks and I go my merry way. Just because I choose not to settle and buy a game that doesn't suit my needs doesn't make me a troll. We have a difference of opinion. Different things are important to us to enjoy our baseball experience. Why must I be labeled because of that?
Old 03-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #11
glenmere14
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
The way I play is CPU v CPU, so I watch the AI play out the games, pitch by pitch. The focus of every MLB game, from about the 5th inning on is the bullpen, along with the starting pitchers pitch counts. Without "action in the bullpen," the in-game experience loses its realism...and to me , that is a gamebreaker. I enjoy a simulation from a perspective of the fan/media. I don't care about the "business of baseball," trying to match the success of the Stengel-era Yankees with my GM/managerial acumen. I just like to see history evolving pitch-by-pitch, game-by-game, then document the cumlative result. So, In-game realism is the most important aspect of any sim for me.
It always amazes me how differently everyone plays this game - probabaly its biggest strength. I am a “macro” player, generally running an expansion team from afar, stopping at predetermined points (draft, trading deadline, roster expansion, playing out the playoffs, free agent filing, then onto spring training) to tinker, re-sign players (or not), check team and league history, etc.

I sometimes hesitate to play - only because I get so absorbed that other necessary things get missed. Ironically, that’s the best compliment I can give OOTP, Markus, and the team.

A big thank you from from me for all the enjoyment I’ve had from OOTP 2 on!
glenmere14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys3356 View Post
Troll
That's really not fair at all. Oldtimey has made his feelings known on this issue for several versions now. In my opinion, he does so in a mature and respectful manner. He has detailed in depth why it matters to him. It's a feature he cares deeply about. In the end, if Markus can add it, I really hope he does. I too play as an observer instead of as a GM/Manager. The feature he is asking for isn't something that's do or die for me, but it's something I bet I would enjoy if it was in the game.

Last edited by David Watts; 03-31-2018 at 11:11 AM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have to ask... do you play any baseball simulation games? If so, which one?

I ask because I find it hard to believe that you truly have enough interest in baseball simulation to purchase any game. However, if you are indeed interested in simulating baseball games, and this feature has blocked you from choosing this game, I am dying to know what game has the AI warm-up feature plus all of the other great features of OOTP19.

You are entitled to your opinion of course. It's your money. But, if you are really serious and not just trolling, and if you are a fan of baseball simulation games, I respectfully suggest that you reconsider your position.

Bullpen management is an important feature of real baseball, no doubt. But you still get to manage your bullpen. The AI is not perfect, and likely not as good as you in any aspect of management. So consider the AI getting a pass on bullpen management as a handicap for the player. Do you play the game with trades on easy? Do you force all of your trades? Do you change the draft order to give yourself the first pick every year? I doubt that you would do any of that, because you likely want the game to challenge you. This is just another way to increase the difficulty without taking away from your participation.

I have been playing baseball simulation games since All-Star Baseball with a spinner. Even longer, if you count crawling along the floor hitting marbles with baseball cards. (Really screws up a baseball card by the way.) In ALL of that time, through countless board games and card games and computer software programs, not one game has come close to the overall depth and quality of this game. Do you really want to deny yourself all of this pleasure over one feature? I don't think so. I suggest that you forgive the developers for this design decision and stop denying yourself all of the great fun that lies ahead for you in this masterpiece of baseball simulation software.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
oldtimey
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I have to ask... do you play any baseball simulation games? If so, which one?

I ask because I find it hard to believe that you truly have enough interest in baseball simulation to purchase any game. However, if you are indeed interested in simulating baseball games, and this feature has blocked you from choosing this game, I am dying to know what game has the AI warm-up feature plus all of the other great features of OOTP19.

You are entitled to your opinion of course. It's your money. But, if you are really serious and not just trolling, and if you are a fan of baseball simulation games, I respectfully suggest that you reconsider your position.

Bullpen management is an important feature of real baseball, no doubt. But you still get to manage your bullpen. The AI is not perfect, and likely not as good as you in any aspect of management. So consider the AI getting a pass on bullpen management as a handicap for the player. Do you play the game with trades on easy? Do you force all of your trades? Do you change the draft order to give yourself the first pick every year? I doubt that you would do any of that, because you likely want the game to challenge you. This is just another way to increase the difficulty without taking away from your participation.

I have been playing baseball simulation games since All-Star Baseball with a spinner. Even longer, if you count crawling along the floor hitting marbles with baseball cards. (Really screws up a baseball card by the way.) In ALL of that time, through countless board games and card games and computer software programs, not one game has come close to the overall depth and quality of this game. Do you really want to deny yourself all of this pleasure over one feature? I don't think so. I suggest that you forgive the developers for this design decision and stop denying yourself all of the great fun that lies ahead for you in this masterpiece of baseball simulation software.
You and I pretty much the same baseball sim experience (including smacking a marble around with a popsicle stick with two teams of baseball cards). I currently play MLB The Show 16. I completed my first full season of MLB with Lance Haffner Full Count Baseball in 1987 on the Commodore 64. Then I used the same method that I use today: I play a weekday series and a weekend series each week, featuring most times, four different teams a week. I sim every game each up to my "feature series game, "watch it play out, then continue with the rest of the day's schedule. I try to see all teams in each league equally during the regular season and watch every postseason game. I tried to run my own franchise with MVP 2005, but they AI was no competition. With the help of community mods, I went back to playing MVP like I played those early years with Full Count, then Earl Weaver and Tony LaRussa Baseball and played MVP for five years. My baseball universe does not need the depth of OOTP. The Show is nowhere near as deep as OOTP. i turn off budgets, AI personnel moves, am notified of injuries and ignore off-season business by starting a new franchise with a new roster after every season after archiving the one just completed. There is no salary dumping in my world...playoff-bound teams can only fortify their stretch runs with baseball-wise trades without stripping teams that are out of the race to Triple A squads. With this setup, the AI does all the in-game management. I just watch, absorb, report and enjoy. Every sim I have has done a decent job of this after extensive slider testing and tweaking. The Show 16, so far does the best bullpen management I have experienced so far, but with my own sliders and ratings tweaks. In-game Is my thing. If I am not satisfied with how a sim plays out a game, the world created by the sim is irrelevant. I guess i am guilty of not being a serious baseball sim fan...my enjoyment comes between the white lines and not at the arbitration table.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #15
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
You and I pretty much the same baseball sim experience (including smacking a marble around with a popsicle stick with two teams of baseball cards). I currently play MLB The Show 16. I completed my first full season of MLB with Lance Haffner Full Count Baseball in 1987 on the Commodore 64. Then I used the same method that I use today: I play a weekday series and a weekend series each week, featuring most times, four different teams a week. I sim every game each up to my "feature series game, "watch it play out, then continue with the rest of the day's schedule. I try to see all teams in each league equally during the regular season and watch every postseason game. I tried to run my own franchise with MVP 2005, but they AI was no competition. With the help of community mods, I went back to playing MVP like I played those early years with Full Count, then Earl Weaver and Tony LaRussa Baseball and played MVP for five years. My baseball universe does not need the depth of OOTP. The Show is nowhere near as deep as OOTP. i turn off budgets, AI personnel moves, am notified of injuries and ignore off-season business by starting a new franchise with a new roster after every season after archiving the one just completed. There is no salary dumping in my world...playoff-bound teams can only fortify their stretch runs with baseball-wise trades without stripping teams that are out of the race to Triple A squads. With this setup, the AI does all the in-game management. I just watch, absorb, report and enjoy. Every sim I have has done a decent job of this after extensive slider testing and tweaking. The Show 16, so far does the best bullpen management I have experienced so far, but with my own sliders and ratings tweaks. In-game Is my thing. If I am not satisfied with how a sim plays out a game, the world created by the sim is irrelevant. I guess i am guilty of not being a serious baseball sim fan...my enjoyment comes between the white lines and not at the arbitration table.
I have never ever found a console game that comes anywhere close to matching the realism that PC Baseball games such as OOTP and DMB or even SOM provide. It feels more like a video game than a baseball simulation. Doesn't that bother you at all?
Old 03-31-2018, 01:18 PM   #16
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You and I pretty much the same baseball sim experience (including smacking a marble around with a popsicle stick with two teams of baseball cards). I currently play MLB The Show 16.
Thanks for the answer. I really wish I had thought of using a popsicle stick!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:27 PM   #17
oldtimey
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
I have never ever found a console game that comes anywhere close to matching the realism that PC Baseball games such as OOTP and DMB or even SOM provide. It feels more like a video game than a baseball simulation. Doesn't that bother you at all?
With sliders and ratings tweaks, you can take the "arcade" right out of the game. I am starting my second season with The Show 16. I played two seasons each with 13 and 15. The second season is always the best because it sometimes takes most of the season to tweak it to where it's plays itself as realistic as possible.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #18
Greenbay
Minors (Double A)

I had been hooked on arcade ever since the early High Heat series. Then in 2015 I had hand surgery and was one handed for several months. Hard to play arcade with one hand. That's when I discovered OOTP. Been hooked ever since. It is much more realistic than other games with more accurate rosters. And the best part is the support. They don't just make a game and move on to something else. They support it with updates and patches throughout the season.
OOTP 19 is the best one yet. I never played 3D before, but I am loving the 3D graphics in this one. Well worth the price.
Greenbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #19
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Oldtimey is ab OG member not a troll

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #20
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
With sliders and ratings tweaks, you can take the "arcade" right out of the game. I am starting my second season with The Show 16. I played two seasons each with 13 and 15. The second season is always the best because it sometimes takes most of the season to tweak it to where it's plays itself as realistic as possible.
And you play this just because of no warmup visual? I hope you know what you are sacrificing in realism for that. Doesn't seem worth it to me but to each their own I suppose.