Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Cole
Hall Of Famer

FHM 2 Impressions

Rather than seeing a bunch of threads pop up with scattered first impressions as people play through, we are going to try to keep everything organized.

If you have some quick posts that are first impressions of the game that aren't a large enough topic to warrant their own post, please put them here!

Please use this for IMPRESSIONS ONLY. Bug reports should go in the bug report thread..

Last edited by Cole; 09-28-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
pbbm
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Only played with it for about an hour, but it's great fun so far. I spent some time watching games, did a little custom game playing, and tried to edit some attributes to see what it's like.

To me it's weird that you see height in only inches when editing a player's attributes and not both feet and inches (which is how it's displayed in other screens), but it's nothing you don't get used to after a few minutes.

Game engine seems really great, and I love the way games play out. Simulated four or five games through the fastest sim options, and they turned out nicely without any issues.

In custom game, it would be nice to be able to set a maximum/minimum contract size for a league, or an 'average' contract size so that it forces contracts to vary around a specific range (unless the salary cap and salary floor essentially accomplish this during league creation, I just turned them off to experiment with fictional leagues).

It would also be cool if you could hit a 'randomize' button for players in custom games, instead of editing individual attributes if you're not happy with them.

I had one minor problem where I exited out of my NHL league and couldn't load that game through Continue Game, or manually, but a quick restart of FHM 2 fixed the problem and I haven't experienced it since.

The game's very good though. There's nothing about it that I've seen so far in my brief time with it where I've said "that's dumb" or "why is that a thing?". It does everything I expected it to, and it does it all very well.

Looking forward to many hours with this one.
pbbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbm View Post
To me it's weird that you see height in only inches when editing a player's attributes and not both feet and inches (which is how it's displayed in other screens), but it's nothing you don't get used to after a few minutes.
Just a little easier to edit that way, only one field to change instead of two. It makes a difference when you're doing a lot of editing.

Quote:
In custom game, it would be nice to be able to set a maximum/minimum contract size for a league, or an 'average' contract size so that it forces contracts to vary around a specific range (unless the salary cap and salary floor essentially accomplish this during league creation, I just turned them off to experiment with fictional leagues).
The database does have fields like that, but we'd have to do a little thinking before making them editable - the AI uses that kind of data in its decision-making, so odd values in them could have some nasty effects.

Quote:
I had one minor problem where I exited out of my NHL league and couldn't load that game through Continue Game, or manually, but a quick restart of FHM 2 fixed the problem and I haven't experienced it since.
Exited by going back to the start screen? I'll have a look. I think I remember something like that happening a while back in testing, but thought we'd fixed it, and haven't seen it since.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
pbbm
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Exited by going back to the start screen? I'll have a look. I think I remember something like that happening a while back in testing, but thought we'd fixed it, and haven't seen it since.
Yeah, but I haven't been able to duplicate the error myself.
pbbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
ffp7175
Minors (Single A)

Can I turnoff fiancés/contracts and just play the game only
ffp7175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
pens66
Major Leagues

Solid first impression. Game runs smooth and it's fun to fiddle around with it. The popups are a nice addition.

The fighting crowd won't be pleased, though. There's no way to recreate the 70s and 80s and the penalty totals are obviously "inflated" by having too many one-on-one fights in certain years to account for the lack of multiplayer fisticuffs.

There's a couple of bugs here and there (can't use keyboard to adjust certain numbers on edit screens or sorting attributes from lowest to highest instead of the other way round in rosters screens), but nothing game breakiing so far. Thank god!
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
jwr38
Minors (Single A)

(ON MAC)

So far it looks good. Overall I like it. Some things like dragging and dropping from anywhere in the line changes screen is very cool. I personally like the layout of this game more than EHM - EA. There feels less clicking. Still not perfect though, I would prefer to have no popup when you send a player up or down.

The finances page is confusing and not that easy to understand in first few views. Personally this page for me is a waste. I can't do much with all the information. To me it doesn't help play the game at all. I would have preferred something like capgeek used to be. Simple, effective and useable in the game.

Clicking on the roster and then the shirt is cool but it does jump (scroll) so you have to scroll down again. That needs fixing.

Simming speed. Not the fastest but I do have everything on. It takes about 10 minutes for me just to reach the preseason.

Trainning - Not sure how yet need to look in the manual. Would be great if the link to the manual was in game .... no just in the load page.

Ok playing more
jwr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Hawkguy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Big question for me... how is it compared to EHM?
Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #9
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Big question for me... how is it compared to EHM?
Amazing, of course.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
harmonica
Bat Boy

I am currently sitting on the fence. I bought FHM and it was complete garbage, but that was two years ago.

I think a lot of people are waiting and willing to take a risk on a game, but only after player reviews come out. Like most, I want to know how well the tactics are working, how player development is over the long run and the trading AI.

I personally will not be trusting reviews from non hardcore hockey sim sources. So if you have the game and put some time in to it, please post your opinions here as I would love to read them.
harmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #11
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica View Post
I am currently sitting on the fence. I bought FHM and it was complete garbage, but that was two years ago.

I think a lot of people are waiting and willing to take a risk on a game, but only after player reviews come out. Like most, I want to know how well the tactics are working, how player development is over the long run and the trading AI.

I personally will not be trusting reviews from non hardcore hockey sim sources. So if you have the game and put some time in to it, please post your opinions here as I would love to read them.
Perfectly fine. But we brought a number of people onto the test team who were also very critical of the first version, and they've become pretty enthusiastic after a few months of beta testing.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
harmonica
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Perfectly fine. But we brought a number of people onto the test team who were also very critical of the first version, and they've become pretty enthusiastic after a few months of beta testing.
Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. I have been following the enthusiasm from the testers and it definitely has made me more excited for the game.

I honestly look forward to reading good reviews and hope you guys have a successful game on your hands, as this would only be a good thing for me and anyone else who has been waiting for a good hockey manager game.
harmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
Bruins86
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

For what its worth I have played NHL sims since I first discovered Freeware EHM around 2000. I'm not going to say this is the best one or anything cause I have only played it for about an hr or so, but what I can say is it is a vast improvement over FHM14 and so far I am enjoying it
Bruins86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #14
Bruins86
Minors (Double A)

oops lol wrong thread
Old 09-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #15
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffp7175 View Post
Only if she says no. Otherwise you are stuck with her
Old 09-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #16
Malte Schwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffp7175 View Post
No, that's not possible.
Malte Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #17
Bruins86
Minors (Double A)

The pop up when hovering over players names is delayed and can get a little annoying, I do like the feature though.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #18
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. I have been following the enthusiasm from the testers and it definitely has made me more excited for the game.

I honestly look forward to reading good reviews and hope you guys have a successful game on your hands, as this would only be a good thing for me and anyone else who has been waiting for a good hockey manager game.
I may be a bit biased as a beta-slave for FHM2, but i can tell you that this game is really a huuuge improvement over FHM14.
I ran umpteen decade long games during the beta phase and stats, stability and gameplay really exceeded my expectations. When stats anomalies or issues popped up, they were usually improved/ironed out with the following build and as mentioned in another thread the trade AI seems like a pain in the ass to perfect coding-wise, but it´s miles ahead in realism compared to FHM14.
I´d recommend the game in a heartbeat but read some pro reviews first to be on the safe side.

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #19
ike121212
All Star Reserve

I'm enjoying things overall. Hoping this is viewed as constructive, and some things can be taken from OOTP.

Relative Ratings- Please take this option. A bad skater is a 13, a strong skater is a 17. There's not much in between to differentiate. I love having this option in OOTP.

Views + Color- Might seem small, but the difference here is massive. I can't see what I'd like on one screen, and everything just blends together. OOTP's presentation of basic screens is much better.

Draft Lottery- I didn't notice this in the game.

Draft- Is there no view of potential, other than the star based overall rating? Right now, I'm looking at 15 players with the same Star potential. When I drill down to individual scouting reports, they all just say "has the potential to become an outstanding player" and most say "the strongest part of his game is his playmaking ability". The stats views don't show stats. The ratings screens don't include overall ratings and re-sort (so that you goalies at the top). The whole experience is frustrating.

Top Prospect (team home screen and league report)- another great thing to steal from OOTP

Stats- There should be a 1-click way to get to my teams stats. If there is, I haven't found it. Also, really need to be able to edit these views and print.
ike121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #20
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Edit: Deleted comment and put in the correct thread.

Last edited by krownroyal83; 09-28-2015 at 08:25 PM.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote