Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #121
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincoop17 View Post
Cole Hamels is vastly underrated, even with PECOTA. Yeah he may not win very many games because he gets no run support, but he's one of the best pitchers in the game and his ratings need a bump.

How is Jon Lester rated better when Hamels has better career numbers and has been putting up very good numbers for a few seasons now?
Cole Hamels 2014:
K/9: 8.71
BB/9: 2.59
HR/9: 0.62

Jon Lester 2014:
K/9: 9.01
BB/9: 1.97
HR/9: 0.66

In what respect is Hamels obviously better than Lester? They have very similar ratings in the roster set, which seems to me how it should be. Regardless, it's the PECOTA projection system that determines player ratings, not the roster team.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #122
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Maybe it's the Jays fan in me, but Max Pentecost and Jeff Hoffman are rated pretty low. Hoffman has half a star potential and Pentecost is 1 and a half. This is with scouting on high.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #123
mclowman
OOTP Roster Team

A few issues with the Braves organization:

Max Fried had Tommy John surgery last August.

Humberto Carpio was released.

Yean Carlos Gil should have his stamina boosted a bit; he's started 33 of the 40 games he's pitched the last two years.

Alberto Callaspo played 23 games at first base last season, and Phil Gosselin played 28 games at shortstop. Both have zero experience at those positions.

Joey Terdoslavich hasn't played third base since 2012, when he made 25 errors in 56 games. His rating at that position should probably just go away, or at least be lowered significantly.

The last year of Nick Markakis's contract shouldn't be an option year.
mclowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #124
captaincoop17
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Cole Hamels 2014:
K/9: 8.71
BB/9: 2.59
HR/9: 0.62

Jon Lester 2014:
K/9: 9.01
BB/9: 1.97
HR/9: 0.66

In what respect is Hamels obviously better than Lester? They have very similar ratings in the roster set, which seems to me how it should be. Regardless, it's the PECOTA projection system that determines player ratings, not the roster team.
Cole Hamels is left, Jon Lester is right

Hamels has better ERA, OAVG, WHIP, ERA+, BB/9, K/9, K/BB and WAR, so yes Hamels is the better pitcher, easily.

PECOTA may be a very good system, but it has Hamels wrong.
Attached Images
captaincoop17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #125
jwisenberg
OOTP Roster Team

Tigers notes

remove
Nate Carter (catcher) from what I have been able to find looks like this is an error, this guy is a freshman at Redlands CC. I think at some point he got confused with Nate B. Carter (pitcher) who is on the team.

Dilinyer Flores - Retired on 10/29/14 per milb.com
Gerbinson Perez - Retired on 1/22/15 per milb.com
Winder Novas - no longer listed in team media guide.

missing
Derek Hankins (re-signed 12/19/14) per milb.com

International guys
Jose Appleton (P), Irwin Chirinos (OF), Johandry Cortez (C), Adonis Figuera (P), Daniel Gonzalez (P), Xavier Javier (P), Ronaldo Lopez (P), Jeffrei Melo (OF), Yeudy Minaya (P), Moises Nunez (C), Wladimir Pinto (P), Jesus Rodriguez (P), Perkyn Rodriguez (P), Diosfer Romero (P), Jose Salas (INF), Javier Villarroel (P), Jorge Yniro (INF).
jwisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #126
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Maybe it's the Jays fan in me, but Max Pentecost and Jeff Hoffman are rated pretty low. Hoffman has half a star potential and Pentecost is 1 and a half. This is with scouting on high.
Even with scouting on high, your scout will underrate some guys. I don't have the game open now, but in the roster editor both of those guys have very good potential ratings.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #127
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hamels has better ERA, OAVG, WHIP, ERA+, BB/9, K/9, K/BB and WAR, so yes Hamels is the better pitcher, easily.

If you want to debate which pitcher has had the better career, I'll agree with you and pick Hamels. But that's not what the ratings in the roster set are meant to reflect.

If instead we're discussing who will have a better season next year, I think it's probably a coinflip. Lester was better last year, Hamels was better before then. PECOTA will have looked at all pitchers with similar career trajectories to Hamels and to Lester, and will have used that as a basis for projecting each into the future. On that basis, the system must think they'll be comparable next year.

What I was objecting to most was your phrasing - you said Hamels was "vastly underrated", and as evidence compared his ratings to Lester's, which are similar. You can argue that Hamels will be better next year, and you may turn out to be right; I won't participate in that argument any more than I have already. But I don't think, when you look at 2014 numbers, it's tenable to argue that Hamels is clearly immensely superior to Lester. If you think the recent past is the best predictor of the future, they're really not very different.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #128
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Even with scouting on high, your scout will underrate some guys. I don't have the game open now, but in the roster editor both of those guys have very good potential ratings.
I believe those were the OSA ratings. Haven't checked my scout ratings yet.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #129
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:

PECOTA projects the year ahead, not looking at a player's future career value. Lester had a better 2014 than hamels so he will be better in the projections.

Also, whoever said they had scouting on high - you need it on 100% accurate of OFF. Could still be very inaccurate when on high.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #130
Roggie
Minors (Single A)

The first draft class has SP Freddy Avis in it, injured with a torn labrum. The injury is correct, but Avis has retired from baseball.

Stanford righty Avis retires from baseball - San Jose Mercury News
Roggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #131
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Some mostly-Phillies notes.

Freddy Galvis is wildly overrated offensively. The game is showing him as a 75 potential ... I've never heard anyone regard his bat as highly as you do.

Cody Asche seems a bit high, too.

Cesar Hernandez is a 2B does not have the throwing arm you show; he has put in some time at SS and 3B, but he's very marginal there.

Jeanmar Gomez is nowhere near making the major league team.

Aaron Nola is probably a bit lower potential and higher actual than you have him; he's usually described as 1) having mid-rotation potential and 2) being ready by midseason this year.

Mario Hollands, PJ Walters and Ethan Martin are RP, Severino Gonzalez, Elvis Araujo and Colin Klevan are SP. Make those changes and other prospects should move up to proper level.

Odubel Herrera, Joely Rodriguez, Elvis Araujo, Jiandido Tromp, Jose Pujols, Ricardo Pinto and Jesse Biddle are all underrated based on what the prospect writers say.

Jan Hernandez, Dylan Cozens, Gabriel Lino, David Whitehead, Arquimedes Gamboa and Mitch Guellar are all high.

Tommy Joseph is not currently injured. His potential should be a tick higher, but injury proneness should be fragile if not wrecked.

Mike Trout's speed looks low to me.

The steal ratings for Luis Domoromo and Greg Miclat are wildly high.

Last edited by frangipard; 03-20-2015 at 08:55 PM.
frangipard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #132
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Must be an issue on your end. I just checked the editor and Galvis has fairly low ratings.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #133
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
very minor thing, but the popularity thing needs to be addressed.

yes popularity is a subjective thing, but some very obvious issues in the roster set.

many of the best players in the league - Buster Posey, Mike Trout are "unknown"

Alex Rodriguez is still "extremely popular"

I went team by team and made changes. I would say 50% of the changes I made were in the extremely obvious like these examples and a few other were subjective.

This is true. I can't speak for whoever is in control of setting popularity, but I'm guessing it's not something to which they give much - if any - attention. I only say that because many of the same guys are way off every year, like Justin Verlander has always been "insignificant" both locally and nationally, which is obviously just silly. It's never much bothered me, I just fixed the guys on my team and didn't worry about the others, but now that all-star voting is in(so cool, btw) and popularity is a key part of that, I really hope they can get it fixed for Monday's full release. Like you said, it's obviously subjective, but at least get guys close to where they should be.

Another, unrelated roster issue: Bruce Rondon is listed as out for 7 weeks, but he appears to be fully healed from the Tommy John surgery he had last year and has been pitching regularly since the 12th.
Mancandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #134
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Scouting needs to be off to get any accurate readings.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #135
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Galvis is absolutely too high. He has excellent speed and d, so his moderate hitting ratings really do make him way overrated.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #136
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancandy View Post
This is true. I can't speak for whoever is in control of setting popularity, but I'm guessing it's not something to which they give much - if any - attention. I only say that because many of the same guys are way off every year, like Justin Verlander has always been "insignificant" both locally and nationally, which is obviously just silly. It's never much bothered me, I just fixed the guys on my team and didn't worry about the others, but now that all-star voting is in(so cool, btw) and popularity is a key part of that, I really hope they can get it fixed for Monday's full release. Like you said, it's obviously subjective, but at least get guys close to where they should be.
As I mentioned earlier, no one sets it. It's not something we can set. We'll have to get it added to our db.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #137
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclowman View Post
A few issues with the Braves organization:

Max Fried had Tommy John surgery last August.

Humberto Carpio was released.

Yean Carlos Gil should have his stamina boosted a bit; he's started 33 of the 40 games he's pitched the last two years.

Alberto Callaspo played 23 games at first base last season, and Phil Gosselin played 28 games at shortstop. Both have zero experience at those positions.

Joey Terdoslavich hasn't played third base since 2012, when he made 25 errors in 56 games. His rating at that position should probably just go away, or at least be lowered significantly.

The last year of Nick Markakis's contract shouldn't be an option year.
Fixed.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #138
tward13
All Star Starter

Jhoan Urena in the Mets system (starts as high A in game) should be a switch hitter
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #139
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie View Post
The first draft class has SP Freddy Avis in it, injured with a torn labrum. The injury is correct, but Avis has retired from baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
Jhoan Urena in the Mets system (starts as high A in game) should be a switch hitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancandy View Post
Another, unrelated roster issue: Bruce Rondon is listed as out for 7 weeks, but he appears to be fully healed from the Tommy John surgery he had last year and has been pitching regularly since the 12th.
Fixed.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-20-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #140
jwisenberg
OOTP Roster Team

Astros notes

Remove:
Ronny Cedeno - signed with the Giants
Rayderson Chevalier - not listed in media guide
Rhiner Cruz - released 6/2/14 per milb.com
Lance Day - retired per What the Heck, Bobby?: Astros Minor League Short Season Rosters
Justin Gominsky - released early in 2014 then went on to play for Gary in the Amer. Assoc.
Alex J. Gonzalez - not listed in media guide

Add:
Justin Hess (P) - DNP in 2014
Gerardo Ramirez (P) - on loan to Veracruz (Mexican Lg.) in 2014

International Guys:
Jorge Alcala (P), Rogelio Amenteros (P), Junior A. Garcia (P), Jorge Guzman (P), Carlos Machado (OF), Javier Nivas (P), Enoli Paredes (P), Hector Perez (P), Juan Robles (P), Cesar Rosado (P), Felipe Tejada (P), Angel Tejeda (OF)

Unsure of status:
Jake Rodriguez - not listed in media guide, but still listed on Tri-City roster, guessing released or retired, but I would leave him until I can confirm

Last edited by jwisenberg; 03-20-2015 at 09:17 PM.
jwisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote