Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 09-02-2002, 02:53 PM   #1
DiversionX
Minors (Double A)

Commissioners also running teams - your thoughts

I really opened a can of worms in a recent thread - I was presenting myself as an owner looking for a league, but I don't want to join any leagues where the commissioner runs a team. I personally think that it detracts from the league quite a bit and if the commissioner feels that running a team while running a league is the only way to get enjoyment out of a league, they're in it for the wrong rasons. I also feel it's a conflict of interest, as running a league and running a team have mutually exclusive goals.

Please post your comments below, or if you run a league where you don't run a team and need a new owner, let me know!

http://www.big-baseball.com

DiversionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
LedgerSko
All Star Starter

I disagree with you. I think it would be hard for a commish to commit lots of time to a league he isnt even in.
LedgerSko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
DiversionX
Minors (Double A)

I do it, and I run a very good league with 28 active owners.

http://www.big-baseball.com

DiversionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 03:59 PM   #4
Hammer755
Hall Of Famer

In my experience, having a commish who also owns a team is not a problem. The reason being is that each position has a different goal. As a team owner, you want your team to be as successful as possible. As a commissioner, you want your league to be as enjoyable and as satisfying as possible, both to yourself and to the other owners in the league. If the commish happens to win the league championship, so be it, but I don't think it's physically possible for a commissioner to 'fix' a league without a good set of owners noticing.

Sure, the commish can make more of an impact through cheating than can your typical owner, but if there are trust issues with the commish (even minor ones), then you shouldn't be in that league in the first place.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 04:22 PM   #5
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

I have no problem with a commish running a team in the league. If the commish is in it to win at all costs, then he has the opportunity to cheat, but then what is the fun in that. The commishes that I've seen have had the right priorities... to run a quality league. You can't run a quality league if you are cheating, so the commishes won't do anything wrong so as not to jeopardize the league.

As one commish found when he editted his players ratings, others will find out and the league will have problems. I think its ridiculous to automatically assume (like some others have written) that if the commish has a good team, the league can't be good. Is it any more fair to expect the commish to intentionally lose? Since the losing teams get the better picks, the only way to lose year after year is to trade away all your good players for bad players. Seems kind of silly to me.

As for me, I commish both Boys of Summer and Golden Days (formerly Glory Days). In Golden Days, I had a quality team prior to being commish and it would seem silly of me to dismantle the team just so they no longer win. In Boys of Summer, it bothered me that my team had success (after many years of losing and getting good draft picks), so I dropped my team. But after 3/4ths of a season of seeing the team mis-managed and having the new owner quit, I took the team back. I had full support from the league and the majority of the owners were very disappointed when I stepped down as owner. Bottom line is, I would never cheat since I don't believe in it and would gain no satisfaction from it. I would also never cheat for fear of ruining the reputation of the league I worked so hard to make good. But I'm not going to intentionally lose. If I make a smart trade (sometimes it happens), why should I be punished just because I'm the commish. Intentionally losing would be just as bad as cheating in my opinion.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!"

Chicago(N) - Boys of Summer
Oakland - 20th Century League
Bakersfield - Wild Things
Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Dodger's Senioriest fan on the OOTP Boards
IatricSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 04:23 PM   #6
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

My thoughts on this,

If you don't trust the commissioner of your league.. then you shouldn't be in it. No matter if the commissioner owns a team or not.

You say you want to join a league that the commissioner doesn't own a team? Answer this...

How many leagues do you think are out there... that have so called "teamless commissioners"? My guess is.. there are a lot of leagues out there.. that the commish is actually running a team under a different name. (I could be wrong)

It's up to you which you prefer.. but I personally don't think it matters if the commissioner owns a team or not.. if the commish is currupt.. the league will be currupt.

Kurtis
Old 09-02-2002, 04:24 PM   #7
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

I agree with Hammer. We have seen cases where commissioners have sunk their own leagues due to alleged improprieties. Cutting of your nose to spite your face is an age old lesson that some folks learn late. I can't imagine any commissioner is going to feel good with himself after cheating his way to a championship.
Old 09-02-2002, 04:25 PM   #8
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

CUBL Commish makes a good point... I've known people before that ran multiple names under pseudo names. There is no way to guarantee that isn't happening. Also, there is no way to guarantee that a commish who doesn't own a team isn't cheating for his favorite owners or friends that do own teams. Either trust him or don't, but don't let ownership cloud the issue.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!"

Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Old 09-02-2002, 04:30 PM   #9
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

Re: Commissioners also running teams - your thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by DiversionX
I really opened a can of worms in a recent thread
A can that has been opened several times before.

Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Old 09-02-2002, 04:34 PM   #10
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by IatricSB
.....There is no way to guarantee that isn't happening...
Iatric,

You as a commissioner can keep an eye on IP addresses if you so choose. I personally check IP addy's of my owners every so often.. just to make sure there are not multiple team owners.

I know IP addy's are not a 100% way to keep multiple team owners out of a league.. but it does work for the owners that don't know how to hide it.... I personally caught a guy in CUBL's first season owning 2 teams. (possibly 3)

Kurtis
Old 09-02-2002, 04:47 PM   #11
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

Everybody is checking IP addy's now.. lol
Old 09-02-2002, 04:48 PM   #12
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

But like you said, any idiot should be able to know how to get around the IP Address thing.

On a side note, In the earlier days of the net, I ran a prodigy league for Broadcast Blast baseball. One owner that joined had 3 of his "friends" from his block join the league (including his "brother"). But once I saw a flurry of trades with all trade coming from his friend's teams to his team (and all very lopsided in his favor), I realized it was the same guy and that he was stocking his team at the expense of the others.

Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Old 09-02-2002, 05:04 PM   #13
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

SB, why the league name change?
LivnLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 05:11 PM   #14
Specs
All Star Starter

Probably because the time period is no longer the early 20's after a good 17 seasons!

Quote:
Originally posted by Markus Heinsohn
Specs, your avatar made my day... damn human emotion chip
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 05:11 PM   #15
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by LivnLegend
SB, why the league name change?
It was a mutual agreement between Cooley and myself when he turned the league over to me. He wants to retain the "rights" to the name and I thought it would be good to have a different identity with the switching of commishes. The owners and league has remained the same though.

Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Last edited by IatricSB; 09-02-2002 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:19 PM   #16
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Specs
Probably because the time period is no longer the early 20's after a good 17 seasons!
Close.... it wasn't the reason for the change, but it was the reason for the name we chose. We thought Golden Days fit the era that we were coming to (in addition to the fact that it uses the same initials.... GDBA)

Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Old 09-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #17
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

OK, makes sense! I thought it was a more recent change than since Cooley transferred it to you. I haven't been to the site in awhile. Thanks for adding it back to your sig.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:45 PM   #18
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

Cooley turned over the league to me at the beginning of the current season (1936). It took us a few weeks to agree on a name and for me to do some re-design work on the web page.

Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Old 09-02-2002, 07:20 PM   #19
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

IMO commissioners also running a team is fine, BUT it really just depends on the individual person. That being said if you don't trust the guy enough to GM his team fairly how can you trust him to commish fairly?
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:05 PM   #20
MannyTrillo
All Star Reserve

I think a commish who owns a team is fine, but some discretion has to be exercised... people are generally much more willing to deal with the commish than with other owners, and the commish has to be careful not to take advantage of this in trading. I used to be in one league where this was a problem, and the league didn't last very long. Bottom line, the commish has to see the league as the top priority, and not take his team too seriously.
MannyTrillo is offline   Reply With Quote