Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #101
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

It looks like a great doc. Hats off because it looks like a lot of work went into it.
gocubsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #102
PublicEnemy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Glad you both got it working.

As I said before, it's not ideal having to exit and reload, but at least it works.

Now we can all get to work on some new TC's without spending hours trying to figure out names for fighters from the Congo or Taiwan.
PublicEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #103
Swimmer
Minors (Double A)

Apologies for ignoring the thread

Hi Guys,

Just spent a long holiday in PC hell with what turned out to be a bad video card.

Those of you having trouble getting the name generator to calculate:

I forgot that over the years Excel has had different bugs related to the calculate now shortcut key. They have also changed the key around different times, and it has even been different from the documented key in various builds of the same version of Excel.

Here are things to try:

1 - "ctrl =" has been an alternate shortcut key, try that.

2 - Go to Tools->Options. Select the "calculation" tab and change the preference to "calculate automatically".

If automatic calculation is enabled, then putting the cursor into a blank field and hitting delete should trip calculation.

Also, I uncovered a bug where if it happens to pick the first name off of a particular ethnicity's list, it generates a "#N/A" for the name... I'll post a fix for that soon. Meanwhile, just re-calculate and generate another name.

Sorry for the delay, guys.

Last edited by Swimmer; 09-05-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #104
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

Chris did you ever finish this up? I show the next topic was to be maintenance issues. This was very helpful and i was just wondering if i missed something or if the excel issue got things off track.

Last edited by gocubsgo; 09-11-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 AM   #105
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS
This is killing me. Is anyone able to figure out how to make the formulas calculate names in this spreadsheet? This thing looks fantastic; just the thing I have been searching for. I know Swimmer put a lot of time into it and I can't get it to work!
You know, there is an extra you have to download in order to generate random numbers in Excel. I wonder if this is the cause of your problem... I am having no problem with it.

Since it is going to a series of lookup tables, you may need to download the ANALYSIS TOOLPAK, which is on your excel disk, but does not accompany the typical download. You have to go to your Excel disk and find the installer for this in I think it was the Extras folder or something.

I don't know whether this is what is causing your problem or not. It may just as well have to do with the version of Excel you are running (I have 2002).

I hope this might help.

Matt
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:48 AM   #106
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo
Chris did you ever finish this up? I show the next topic was to be maintenance issues. This was very helpful and i was just wondering if i missed something or if the excel issue got things off track.
I wanted to turn this mess into a word document when I cover that last piece. The delay is because I am changing the way I do a portion of the international play bouts. I am currently done with the SW and JFLY divisions and like using the modifications suggested by some in this thread.

I should finish this later in the week, thanks for the interest.

Matt:

I will look into that, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #107
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

Thanks Matt i will check that out today.

Sounds cool Chris, thanks.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #108
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

Thanks Matt installed the analysis pack and both the random boxer generator and name generator work like a charm. I cannot believe it was that easy.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #109
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo
Thanks Matt installed the analysis pack and both the random boxer generator and name generator work like a charm. I cannot believe it was that easy.
Glad to help. I only knew of that resolution because I spent a head scratching couple of days myself a while back trying to get a randomizer working for my original boxing uni.
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #110
Swimmer
Minors (Double A)

Sorry I didn't figure this out myself. Exel has two different random number generation formulas. One of them does not require the Analysis Toolpak, but the other does. My mistake...I thought that neither one of them required the Toolpak.

I'll be posting an updated version that fixes some problems in a couple of days...I'll include a Readme (and start a new thread so that I can quit hijacking this one.)
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #111
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

Many thanks swimmer.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #112
Claybor
All Star Starter

Bump to front page.
Claybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #113
American_Ernesider
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
I wanted to turn this mess into a word document when I cover that last piece. The delay is because I am changing the way I do a portion of the international play bouts. I am currently done with the SW and JFLY divisions and like using the modifications suggested by some in this thread.

I should finish this later in the week, thanks for the interest.

Matt:

I will look into that, thanks for the suggestion.
I don't know if this was already addressed, but my Excel 2003 didn't recognize all of the formulas (RANDBETWEEN seemed to be the big problem). Let me know if this is still an issue for you and maybe I can help a little.
American_Ernesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #114
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Ernesider View Post
I don't know if this was already addressed, but my Excel 2003 didn't recognize all of the formulas (RANDBETWEEN seemed to be the big problem). Let me know if this is still an issue for you and maybe I can help a little.
At this point, the spreadsheet will recalculate every time that I open it. I believe that using open office is what got me that far. Any advice that you may have will be greatly appreciated as I do use this quite a bit.

It really is a nice spreadsheet that Swimmer created. He was going to fiddle with it and re-post something but I haven't seen him around of late.

Christopher
Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #115
American_Ernesider
Major Leagues

Quote:
At this point, the spreadsheet will recalculate every time that I open it. I believe that using open office is what got me that far. Any advice that you may have will be greatly appreciated as I do use this quite a bit.

It really is a nice spreadsheet that Swimmer created. He was going to fiddle with it and re-post something but I haven't seen him around of late.

Christopher
Do you know what you are hoping to do with it? I can get it to randomly do everything in Excel.

I'm no expert, but it might be fun to tinker with it a bit. Just let me know and maybe I can figure something out -- or someone else if I completely fail!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #116
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Ernesider View Post
Do you know what you are hoping to do with it? I can get it to randomly do everything in Excel.

I'm no expert, but it might be fun to tinker with it a bit. Just let me know and maybe I can figure something out -- or someone else if I completely fail!

I just want to be able to keep it open and re-calculate as often as I wish. If I want to get 4 Thai names, I have to close and open it four times.

Not that this is a big hassle, I am grateful to swimmer for the work that went into it. I just am not that good with excel at this level.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #117
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
By the way, I finally did sort out a better way to do the international scheduling thanks to all the input from you all. I will actually finish this and put it into a document. Just won't promise when.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #118
American_Ernesider
Major Leagues

Quote:
I just want to be able to keep it open and re-calculate as often as I wish. If I want to get 4 Thai names, I have to close and open it four times.

Not that this is a big hassle, I am grateful to swimmer for the work that went into it. I just am not that good with excel at this level.
For Excel 2003 I changed the formulas as follows:

Ethnic Names Tab -- Column D, Row 3 Formula Was --
=RANDBETWEEN(1,C3)
I changed to --
=RAND()*(C3-1)+1
Then copied that formula for the remaining cells in Column D and Column I.

This eliminated my ?Name error and appears to be calculating correctly.

Nations Tab -- Column L, Row 2 Formula Was --
=RANDBETWEEN(1,100)
I changed to --
=RAND()*(100-1)+1
Then copied that formula for the remaining cells in Column L

I believe those were the only formulas I had to change. Any F9 (I think almost anything you do -- enter, etc.) will re-randomly generate.

The biggest negative I've seen so far is that you will get the same name for an Iraqi or Iranian or Lebanese (etc. etc.). It's not an issue, you can just as easily re-randomly generate, but it's something you notice. They pull from the same ethinic group and it pulls this once from that tab.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:14 AM   #119
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Chris,

I fooled around with that spreadsheet so it would generate 10 TC's at a time for a specific country including which TC tamplate to use. I can't upload the file here as it is 4.5 MB but if you email me your address I will email it to you or if you're really patient I will post it at cornerwork and once the site is back up you can download it.

Cheers,
Mark
Gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #120
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

That would be great Mark, thank you!

chrismund@elvis.com

Thanks to American_Ernesider as well. I am going to try your edits this next week.