Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
Murph3
Minors (Single A)

Historical Play Improvements?

I play historical about 90% of the time. Could a developer please comment on any improvements to historical play? The guys on the stream last night seemed to mention improvements with real transactions & lineups.

Thanks
Murph3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:10 AM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

We have better rating algorithms ( = more realism) especially for defensive ratings. We also updated all the databases and added some more stats and we improved the rosters AI in many areas, for example when playing with historical minors.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
We have better rating algorithms ( = more realism) especially for defensive ratings. We also updated all the databases and added some more stats and we improved the rosters AI in many areas, for example when playing with historical minors.
Is there any chance that updating the databases means you have historical contracts? I want to finally be able to start a replay that begins with 2000 with players starting with their actual contracts.
nyy26wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

The best addition to OOTP20, IMO, is historical injuries. DL/IL moves were added to the transactions file.
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
The best addition to OOTP20, IMO, is historical injuries. DL/IL moves were added to the transactions file.
Holy crap are you kidding me? How far back does this go?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

The earliest entries are in 1909. But I'm sure we don't have complete data for the oldest seasons. Lots of data for the last half-century. Before that, however, we have less data. Of course, the DL list was not used much IRL for much of baseball history. See this article for details:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...ist-a-history/
Old 02-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

By the way, Kim Mohan (username: M's rule) spent the better part of two years gathering and sorting through the data. It was a monumental task, for which he deserves a TON of credit!
Old 02-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The earliest entries are in 1909. But I'm sure we don't have complete data for the oldest seasons. Lots of data for the last half-century. Before that, however, we have less data. Of course, the DL list was not used much IRL for much of baseball history. See this article for details:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...ist-a-history/
This is huge. You've been telling me the last few years that this might happen. Really great news.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Where are the historical lineups? Are we complete back to 1906?
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Yes, we’re complete back to 1901.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's great. I think you could easily get that back to 1892, but of course you'd have to have the proper league structure in the game first. Before that, the American Association would take some serious research.

Edit: I've done it, so I know how much trouble it is to input lineups without Retrosheet. I know getting complete back to 1901 was a challenge.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis

Last edited by swampdragon; 02-28-2019 at 02:29 PM.
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
By the way, I just discovered the fictional stadiums featured in your historical stadium mod. I am loving them. Thank you.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #13
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I didn’t create them, as you know. At some point, though, I lumped them into the great big file. Not gonna do that again, since the file size grows exponentially.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
Bill Veeck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This is just terrific. Huge thanks to everyone involved in making this happen. It will make replays much more engaging and fun.

One thing I've been noticing in replaying the 1920s is that so many stats are accurate at the end of the season, but that runs typically are around 4 or closer to 5% down every year from actuals even though OPS and other stats accurately reflect actuals.

Could this be due to overly limiting scoring from third and perhaps limiting taking extra bases on hits? Maybe this is only happening in "ancient times" and a result of an advancement algorithm based on recent times (as it should be). What have you noticed in more recent times?
Bill Veeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

With historical injuries will retiring players retire on the day they actually retired?
I know we can retire them in the correct season but sometimes the date can make a difference.
When a team has a player that retired in May but doesn't retire till the end of the season and ootp can give that team a edge they didn't historically have or keep another player from playing.
Like when Ruth retired. If you don't retire him then its possible he can finish with 20 homers.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #16
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I don't know the answer, BaseballMan. Kim Mohan (M's rule) might know, if you'd care to PM him.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #17
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know the answer, BaseballMan. Kim Mohan (M's rule) might know, if you'd care to PM him.
Its not something that can't wait. I just thought about it as i was reading the threat. I'll probably forget it by the time the game comes out.
But thanks for the info. If curiosity gets the best of me i'll PM.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #18
zappa1
All Star Starter

Quote:
This alone is enough for me to buy the game again. Oh, and of course, pants. Sure hope it's true.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #19
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy26wc View Post
Is there any chance that updating the databases means you have historical contracts? I want to finally be able to start a replay that begins with 2000 with players starting with their actual contracts.
It would be great to have historically accurate contracts in the game, but I wonder how much of that data is available. When I was a lad, in the reserve clause era, contract terms were often deep secrets. I recall a sportswriter making a splash one year by claiming that he had seen Ted Williams' contract.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #20
Pirates
Major Leagues

I am in my mid 50's and only play Historical Seasons, to me that was real baseball.
I usually start the earliest date or sometimes 1901.
I would love to post things about Historical leagues when, something I believe could be added to the game.

In 1891 the Pittsburgh Allegheny's signed Lou Bierbauer. The Philadelphia Athletics protested this transaction claiming the signing of said player was "piratical". That year Pittsburgh changed its name to the "Pirates".
It would be nice when playing historical that in 1891 Lou Bierbauer was automatically put on the Pirate roster. Since his signing, is how the name Pirates came to be.

Roberto Clemente, no matter how many times I play, never gets an 80 for a throwing arm. He had one of the greatest arm's in right field, in the history of the game.

Thank you.

Last edited by Pirates; 03-01-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote