Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
RMc
All Star Starter

Transparent logos

I've been dipping my toe into the jersey making game recently, but I've run into a problem: when I try to put a logo (or a part of one) onto a jersey, the logo is often surrounded by white or black...so, the jersey has to be white or black to match.

Is there a way to make such designs transparent?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Of course, but it depends on which photo editor you are using. I have Corel PaintShop Pro and all I had to do was to Google the name of the editor and "transparent" to find these "how-to" links:

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/a...ent-background

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/a...-PaintShop-Pro

I am sure you could do the same for your photo editor. By the way, as far as I know, the only popular image format that supports transparency is PNG.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:42 AM   #3
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Gimp is what I use. Fairly easy process once you get the hang of it (isn't everything???).
- Add a transparency layer
- using the magic wand select the "background"...that large white or black background area you mentioned
- Delete your selection. should leave you with your image with a transparent background.
- you may need to select some smaller interior spaces (inside your log so you don't get white/black spots on your jersey/cap and delete those as well.

good luck...let us know if you run into any issues.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
RMc
All Star Starter

I downloaded GIMP, and it looks complicated as hell. But, I'll give it a shot...
Old 04-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMc View Post
I downloaded GIMP, and it looks complicated as hell. But, I'll give it a shot...

Yeah, it is a powerful tool indeed and I'm sure i'm only aware of a fraction of it's abilities.
I'll try to step through an example and include some screenshots and what not later today.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
txranger
Hall Of Famer

When you type in your search info, add transparent to the beginning or the end and sometimes you will get images without a background...
Example: "Boston Red Sox logo transparent"

txranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
bchevy
Minors (Triple A)

You could also try Pixlr Editor. It's a free online photoshop clone that's pretty easy to use. While it doesn't have the full functionality of some of these other options it works just fine for making things transparent. Just make sure to unlock the layer first.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Transparant backgrounds using Gimp

Take a look at the attachment. hopefully that'll help walk you through how to do this in Gimp.
Attached Files
File Type: doc gimp transparency.doc (478.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #9
jmbau
Bat Boy

GIMP looks super intimidating when you first start it but if you just do some quick googling for how-to guides you'll start to get the hang of it. I have no experience in graphic design whatsoever but I've been working really hard on creating my own fictional league and forcing myself to learn GIMP has been an immense help. I can basically only do like two things with it right now but the more I use it the more comfortable I get with it and the more I naturally start to pick up on other features of it.

That being said, I don't use GIMP to remove the backgrounds from logos that I want to use. I'm sure I could learn if I wanted but for a long time I used clippingmagic.com because it was super easy and worked really well. The problem was that you have to pay for it and I eventually got sick of that and switched over to lunapic.com. I would highly recommend checking that site out. It has a ton of free image editing tools and its background remover, while basic, is usually good enough to get the job done. It's also really good for resizing images, cropping images and converting everything to PNG format.
jmbau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
drambrosini
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbau View Post
GIMP looks super intimidating when you first start it but if you just do some quick googling for how-to guides you'll start to get the hang of it. I have no experience in graphic design whatsoever but I've been working really hard on creating my own fictional league and forcing myself to learn GIMP has been an immense help. I can basically only do like two things with it right now but the more I use it the more comfortable I get with it and the more I naturally start to pick up on other features of it.

That being said, I don't use GIMP to remove the backgrounds from logos that I want to use. I'm sure I could learn if I wanted but for a long time I used clippingmagic.com because it was super easy and worked really well. The problem was that you have to pay for it and I eventually got sick of that and switched over to lunapic.com. I would highly recommend checking that site out. It has a ton of free image editing tools and its background remover, while basic, is usually good enough to get the job done. It's also really good for resizing images, cropping images and converting everything to PNG format.
I also use lunapic.com

it's online, it's free, simple to use and does everything I need to get the job done.
drambrosini is offline   Reply With Quote