Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
His Own Bad Self
All Star Starter

Random fighter generator

I've developed a random fighter generator using the database from TBCB2. I have no place to host it, but I can upload it to a file-sharing site (RapidShare or other) unless and until someone will volunteer to host it. It's roughly 27 MB, although there may be a way to trim the fat off of it.

It's not perfect - it tends to eliminate the most extreme ratings from generation (like a "15" in control factor), but overall it seems to work well enough. There's also no "readme" for it yet, but I can have one done pretty quickly, or else post an explanation in this thread (or even both). Would anyone like me to upload it somewhere for general use? I'll welcome any recommendations of file-sharing sites to use in the meantime, since I'm not too familiar with any of them but RS.

Last edited by His Own Bad Self; 05-25-2007 at 01:12 AM.
His Own Bad Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Bigmatt and/or Gunsmoke, can you folks host this at Cornerwork? I think that everyone here would live to give this a try.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Will this put me out of business?

MJ
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTea View Post

MJ
Only if you suddenly start turning out random fake fighters.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
Only if you suddenly start turning out random fake fighters.
Oh ok. I'll run out of fighters to rate one of these days.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How many do you think you've rated?
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
How many do you think you've rated?
850. I have almost all of them in a folder on my desktop.

MJ
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Quote:
Maybe about the same time the LBA reaches 2007?
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #9
javier_83
Hall Of Famer

but this one generate the .tbdx file or only see the ratingS?
javier_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
His Own Bad Self
All Star Starter

Quote:

MJ
I hope not! I'm not in the business of rating real fighters, if that's your thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the generator "slimmed down" to 25 MB. (However, zipped up, it's only 5 MB.)

And yes, this one only generates ratings and names for now, sadly. Unless someone can instruct me how to either create .tbdx files from the raw data or else import the data into the game directly, that's about the only option available - to hand-enter them. (That's what I've done so far.)

Here's a RS link for now.

http://rapidshare.com/files/35498632...rator.zip.html

I still haven't had time to draw up a readme, but I'll summarize the important things here:

"Creation Sheet" - this is where all the ratings are created. I have 3,000 rows filled - should be far more than enough. To preserve a set of ratings, copy the sheet and name it something else. Copy and paste the values to lock everything in that sheet.

Regression Strength - from cell C1 in the Creation Sheet. This tells you how much the generated ratings are affected by the regressions I've come up with from the game's fighters. (See the "Regression Plots" and "Correlation Database" for the regression equations.) A 1 means that the generated ratings are affected as much as possible by the regression equations. A 0 means that the generated ratings are entirely random. I've found that anything between .25 and .35 works pretty well.

The purpose of the regressions is to ensure that the various factors in the game are actually related to each other to some extent when generated. If I didn't include the regressions, we could (for example) see a fighter with control factor ratings of 13 and 4 against boxers and sluggers, respectively.

I don't have the names set to generate randomly, but I've included a generic name file with the generator. The names are supposed to be based off of the fighter's home country.

"Names", "Countries", and "Ethnicities" - use these to generate names for your fighters. The first names are in column B of the "Names" sheet, and the last names are in columns E and H. The Freq columns stand for Frequency. To randomly generate a name, use a vlookup formula in Excel. Add the number of the fighter's ethnicity (in the "language id" column in the "Ethnicities" sheet) to a random number between 0 and 1. In other words, the vlookup formula will look like this:

=vlookup(x+rand(),Name chart,2,true)

where x is the language id number, and "Name chart" is whichever of the three name charts you need to use - either the chart of first names or one of the two charts of last names. I know it's probably confusing. Any questions? PM me or post a reply here.

Last edited by His Own Bad Self; 06-06-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #11
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

This looks great. Thanks
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #12
His Own Bad Self
All Star Starter

Additional stuff I've noticed:

Under "Fouls" the generator only lists Seldom, Occasionally, and Frequently. The Frequently should probably be entered as Often in the actual ratings.

I know the Conditioning rating isn't supposed to be a scale of best to worst, necessarily, but I treated it that way for simplicity's sake.

The punch percentages may not add exactly to 100 all the time, but they will generally be off by no more than 0.50, total. Also, if you come across any negatives in a 3-point percentage rating, that rating should be treated as zero. Subtract that value from the corresponding 2-point percentage rating. (So if a fighter's rated 15.00% 2 point jabs and -0.50% 3 point jabs, the result should be 14.50% 2 point jabs, and 0.00% 3 point jabs.)

Some of you may think the name files look familiar. I actually borrowed the default name files from OOTP. (I hope everyone, including Markus, is OK with this, since I'm in no way profiting from their use. There was no way I would find a better name file anywhere else.)

Last edited by His Own Bad Self; 06-06-2007 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #13
His Own Bad Self
All Star Starter

Random fighter generator v1.1:

I realized this evening that 3-point punch percentage was not nearly as correlated to hitting power as it was supposed to be. The punch percentages are far more accurate when they're determined only by the regression equations in the spreadsheet. I fixed that, and uploaded a revision. The new link is above.

Last edited by His Own Bad Self; 06-06-2007 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #14
umk
All Star Reserve

I have added the download for this in my website.

Code:
http://umk.hostingzero.com/main/modules/wmpdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=21
umk is offline   Reply With Quote