Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 22 > OOTP 22 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 22 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2021 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

If you were the MLB Commish in OOTP22...

Which rules would you change, add or get rid of in OOTP22? I personally dislike the 3-batter minimum rule and I have been so tempted to change it for OOTP21, but I kept it reluctantly because it was added IRL. Still, not a fan of it or the extra runner in extra innings rule.

I'd like to expand to 2 more teams with Montreal and Portland joining or in Montreal's case, rejoining MLB. There would be divisional realignment with 4 four-team divisions in each league and I think I'd reduce the schedule to 156 games to allow for more playoffs. Other than that, I would keep everything else as is. What say you?
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post
Which rules would you change, add or get rid of in OOTP22? I personally dislike the 3-batter minimum rule and I have been so tempted to change it for OOTP21, but I kept it reluctantly because it was added IRL. Still, not a fan of it or the extra runner in extra innings rule.

I'd like to expand to 2 more teams with Montreal and Portland joining or in Montreal's case, rejoining MLB. There would be divisional realignment with 4 four-team divisions in each league and I think I'd reduce the schedule to 156 games to allow for more playoffs. Other than that, I would keep everything else as is. What say you?
My changes I make every time I play a game:
(I would also like to point out that it would be nice to have these settings default to what we want)

1. Contraction of at least 4 Teams (Pit, Oak, Miami, TB)
2. Reduction of the minors to 3 levels
3. Realignment so no division just AL/NL
4. Change playoffs to Top 2 in League and 1 WC (Best of seven)
5. Remove 3 batter limit rule
6. Active roster to 24
7. Secondary/Expanded roster to 30
8. Remove Waiver Rule
9. Remove Minor League option rule
10. Disable right to refuse minor league assignment (Active)
11. Turn off Rule 5
12. Allow draft pick trading
13. 10/5 veto rule off
14. Allow trading of injured players
15. Turn off Advanced Draftee signing
16. Change season to 154 games
17. Disable spring Training (Although new coaching system may bring this back in my games)
18. Interleague play turned off
19. Allow trading of recently drafted players on

Hall of fame Voting changes (Not on the commish but still)
1. Waiting changed to immediate
2. Years on the Ballot set to 1
3. Induction set to 90%
4. Max votes per ballot set to 20

Last edited by AirmenSmith; 03-06-2021 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Because I did
AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

The three batter minimum is insensitive to us with paws from the south.

I would get rid of the DH entirely. Baseball is way too all-or-nothing right now, so I'd like a little more strategy infused.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Either get universal DH or eliminate it - for all professional leagues. (i vote to eliminate it!)
3 batter minimum for pitchers - toss that in the garbage can.
Runner on second in extra innings. Also, garbage can that. if you don't want extra inning games - end game in a tie, which was once a feature many moons ago.(winning percentage would decide champions.)
Realign the leagues by region. One league - East Coast, South, other league - Midwest, West and get rid of Inter league play once and for all.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 03-06-2021 at 04:35 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
BaseballGOAT
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Universal DH
Teams only get 1 US and 1 Dominican rookie teams.
27 man rosters for AAA, AA and both A.
50 Players for rookie leagues
Age limits as well.
Feeder leagues.
Remove the four mos t recently added European leagues and Japanese indys. Info is just too hard to find on them.
20 round draft.
Remove a lot of the Gms and Put guys like Mozoliak, Dombrowski and etc in charge
BaseballGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

I like the new 3-batter and extra innings rules, guess it's just me

Starting a game now I am...

1) Trading difficulty at hardest level, Lineup Selection to sabermetric (game options)

2) Universal DH, extra innings rules for all games. Remove Expanded roster.

3) Go owner-crazy on trade rules - no 10/5, injury trades on, draft pick trades on. Advanced draftee signings off.

4) Financials I don't have a set thing, but normally all budget available (instead of team owner decides), maybe revenue sharing to 50%. Contract years at 5 maximum. *Maybe* free agency earlier.

5) Automatic evolutions off for most games. Try and get a balanced schedule with as much interleague as possible (there's a mod forum for schedules that sometimes helps )

6) Playoffs expand, don't have a set way - right now I like top 2 from each division make it, with best 2 records getting a bye. One best-of-5 then into bo7 against the 'bye' teams.

Think that's about it, is that enough blasphemy?

(one advantage of unifying DH is a possible league realignment the next year too ....)
Old 03-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #7
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

• Expand to 36 teams. New franchises (Montreal, Brooklyn, San Antonio, Austin, Charlotte, Riverside auctioned, with minimum bid of $1 billion. All revenue raised split between existing 30 teams.
  • Adopt the DH universally
  • Expand the roster to 26 players
  • Each October 15th, allot the MLBPA 90 points. The MLBPA can spend 1 point for 1 day of service time, and add that value to the accumulated service time of any player. The MLBPA is required to spend all of the points before the end of October, and carry-over from year to year is disallowed.
Example: During 2021, Seattle promotes Jarred Kelenic at a date where he can only accumulate 165 days of service time. The MLBPA could spend 7 points, purchase 7 days of service time, and apply that to Kelenic. Kelenic immediately accrues a full year of service for 2021, and the MLB would have 83 points left to purchase additional days of service for other players.
  • Salary floor

I think even if new franchises were auctioned at 2x the value of the lowest 6 teams in the MLB, raising $12.7 billion ($425 million for each existing club), the owners would reject the deal based on the other parts of the deal being fairly pro-union.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #8
sflcat61
Minors (Double A)

I created a universe that has four major baseball leagues and try to play a version of it in each new edition of OOTP.

AL, NL, PCL and CL

In the NL:
Brooklyn got their domed stadium and stayed put
NY Giants moved to Minnesota
Braves stayed in Milwaukee (usually)

In the AL:
Griffith sold the Senators and the team stayed in DC
A's moved from Kansas City to Atlanta.
AL put an expansion team in Kansas City called the Monarchs after A's moved.

PCL became an outlaw third major league in the 1950s. Was frozen out of World Series play every season despite challenging the AL and NL.

Oakland Oaks
San Francisco Seals
Los Angeles Angels (built Angels Stadium in Chavez Ravine)
California (Hollywood) Stars (built a ballpark and play in Anaheim)
Portland Beavers
Seattle Rainiers
Sacramento Solons
San Diego Padres

Branch Rickey's Continental League became a thing for the 1961 season

New York Metropolitans
Buffalo Bisons
Toronto Maple Leafs
Montreal Royals
Memphis Blues
Dallas Rangers
Denver Rockies
Houston Colts

PCL and CL reached an agreement and began playing their own version of the WS in 1963.

Baseball peace was finally reached and a new national agreement was negotiated in time for the 1972 season, with all four leagues participating in a common postseason playoff culminating in the World Series.

In my mind, THIS is how history should have gone!!!

Last edited by sflcat61; 03-09-2021 at 12:29 PM.
sflcat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I did something similar to this once - except that it was the International League that became the 4th major league and the Continental League was the organization for the IL/PCL (seeing as how it had teams in Canada, the USA and Cuba it was truly continental).

Found a nice Continental League logo, too, with a map of North America (including the Caribbean) sitting on top of a baseball

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
assamarra
Minors (Double A)

Expect the worst, anything else is a bonus

assamarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #11
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflcat61 View Post
I created a universe that has four major baseball leagues and try to play a version of it in each new edition of OOTP.

AL, NL, PCL and CL
I like it! I love this alternate reality stuff. I routinely play a version where the Pacific Coast League becomes a major league and expands eastward, although I've never actually added the AL/NL in my universe. The PCL should always have become the 3rd major league!
Old 03-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #12
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I don't make extensive changes. Usually more changes year to year, I use an Excel spreadsheet that randomly moves league offense by a few % each year up or down.
I have it adjusted that if it moves too far in either direction the weight of it going back in the opposite direction is more likely.

The only big changes I make are making the DH universal. I also allow draft picks to be traded.
I used to make financial changes, but the financial system is so simplistic and outdated at this point, that I don't bother anymore.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #13
Clavette
Major Leagues

Dh both leagues

Trade deadline pushed back 2 weeks

Eliminate rule 5 draft, just takes too much time to go through all my eligible players after a couple seasons

September call ups increased to 30ish

Pitcher stamina normal

Draft pick trades on, trade recently drafted immediate

Wild card best of 3, 3 home for higher seed

Last edited by Clavette; 03-09-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #14
Clavette
Major Leagues

I wish some of these posters would upload a quick start from your leagues. Would be great to try some of these leagues out
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #15
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post

I dislike all rule changes they making. Now it's 18" base bags instead of 15" bags ...get this "to increase stealing bases" how many bang bang plays at 1st with now be infield singles or Fielders Choice or Force outs. and only 2 pick off attempts allowed..all this in minors this year. Pretty soon REAL BASEBALL games will take as long as a OOTP solo game 15-20 minutes played out
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:05 PM   #16
mtopham
Minors (Double A)

Roll back the game to 1971? Well, except free agency - we can let that stick around...
Old 03-16-2021, 03:53 AM   #17
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtopham View Post
Roll back the game to 1971? Well, except free agency - we can let that stick around...
This, and with all 30 current franchises. Yes even the Miami Swamp Rats.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #18
perez24
Minors (Double A)

1. Move the A's to Las Vegas and either the Pirates or one of the Florida teams to Charlotte.
2. Reduce number of playoff games but not rounds.
3. No 3 man limit for relief pitchers.
4. Active rosters at 26
5. Allow draft pick trading
6. Allow trading of injured players
7. Allow trading of recently drafted players
perez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #19
timmermac
Major Leagues

Eliminate the DH
Move Oakland to Portland
Ban the infield shift
Ban the "opener"
Limit bullpen usage to 70's levels and bring back the complete game

Crush the baseball. Drive it before you. And hear the lamentation of the opponent's women.

I am king of the diamond! Let there be a grand clubhouse feast! Bring me the finest meats and cheeses in all the land!
timmermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #20
perez24
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmermac View Post
Eliminate the DH
Ban the infield shift
Ban the "opener"
Limit bullpen usage to 70's levels and bring back the complete game
I like the bullpen deal. You could probably get by with only 9 or 10 pitchers. I think part of why pitchers could go so long (notwithstanding the lack pitch counts and fear over pitcher injuries) is that many teams sacrificed hitting for defense at C, 2b, SS, and/or CF back then. It would be interesting see the slower hooks would be impacted by the fact those positions hit better now.

Would you also bring back other small ball elements, e.g. more hit and run, stealing, etc?
perez24 is offline   Reply With Quote