Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #61
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschaef View Post
One small thing that bothers me in the videos I've seen of the animation is that when players dive they get back to there feet VERY quickly, especially infielders who dive for a ground ball and miss.
No worries, this is among the things we'll tweak very soon
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #62
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks, Markus, for the video tour--needless to say, it's got me very excited to begin a new season of OOTP. The game looks amazing and you and your team deserve all the accolades you will doubtless receive when the game is released.

Looking forward to opening day!
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #63
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No worries, this is among the things we'll tweak very soon
Since we're being picky , how about having players who are NOT involved in the play at least turn their bodies in the direction of the action ("watch" the play) and have the catcher stand up while the play is going on? Seems a little strange to see the players maintaining their stances as the play is happening. (Again, not a deal-breaker, and I wouldn't be surprised if this has already been addressed, as you guys always exceed expectations.)
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #64
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasta la vista pelota View Post
Since we're being picky , how about having players who are NOT involved in the play at least turn their bodies in the direction of the action ("watch" the play) and have the catcher stand up while the play is going on? Seems a little strange to see the players maintaining their stances as the play is happening. (Again, not a deal-breaker, and I wouldn't be surprised if this has already been addressed, as you guys always exceed expectations.)
Markus already pointed out the catchers, so they'll be standing up now to watch the plays.

The other guys, the goal is to get everyone moving naturally where there should be virtually no play where nobody is moving, but just takes some effort to get to that point, so we'll see a lot more of that in updates over the summer.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nope, those are the colors we have to use per MLB's advice
Crappy advice.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #66
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

Great commentary, Markus! Perhaps the volume of your voice could be a little louder next time, though.

The animation is A++.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #67
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nope, those are the colors we have to use per MLB's advice
That's okay, Markus.
Because you made the game, CUSTOMIZEABLE!!!
Wait until you see the CUSTOM MLB Logos, Jerseys and Caps that will be used in my 4th real-time season of Baseball Like It Oughta Be!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3

Last edited by rjl518; 03-15-2018 at 07:34 PM.
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #68
drksd4848
All Star Starter

I gave the 3D another look, and I dunno. I see some inaccuracies. They look way too enthusiastic.

I wrote down some notes for the 3D changes.

For example:

-These little 3D players actually RUN OUT a ground ball. In this day and age, they should peel off the base path before the throw to first.

- Running back to the dugout after a strikeout? It should be a long stare at the umpire, then a slow walk to back to dugout with head shaking. Maybe chuck a bat or two out onto the field.

- I'm not sure I'm use to a pitcher throwing the ball as soon as he has the sign. He's got to step off a bunch of times. Grab the jersey, step off, deep breath, step off, rinse, repeat. Then throw. Getting the sign, then throwing is sooooo 30 years ago.

- Can we have the catcher come out to the mound 5-7 times per at bat?

- The players need to mosey their way back to the dugout after the side is retired.

- In fact, I would replace all "running" with either a "slow walk" or a flat out "mosey". The running and quick pace may work for historical leagues, but not for the modern

I expect these to be corrected before the beta release.

Last edited by drksd4848; 03-16-2018 at 10:42 AM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #69
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
i gave the 3d another look, and i dunno. I see some inaccuracies. They look way too enthusiastic.

I wrote down some notes for the 3d changes.

For example:

-these little 3d players actually run out ground ball. In this day and age, they should peel off the base path before the throw to first.

- running back to the dugout after a strikeout? It should be a long stare at the umpire, then a slow walk to back to dugout with head shaking. Maybe chuck a bat or two out onto the field.

- i'm not sure i'm use to a pitcher throwing the ball as soon as he has the sign. He's got to step off a bunch of times. Grab the jersey, step off, deep breath, step off, rinse, repeat. Then throw. Getting the sign, then throwing is sooooo 30 years ago.

- can we have the catcher come out to the mound 5-7 times per at bat?

- the players need to mosey their way back to the dugout after the side is retired.

- in fact, i would replace all "running" with either a "slow walk" or a flat out "mosey". The running and quick pace may work for historical leagues, but not for the modern

i expect these to be corrected before the beta release.

lol
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #70
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

Ok Thats funny :-)
jtnlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #71
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Oh, one more additional note:

- the hustling around the bases is totally wrong. It needs to be a very slow, deliberate trot. When the player gets to home plate, he needs to pause, point to the sky, high five the opposing teams catcher, then slow walk to the dugout. During the player's next at bat, the pitcher needs to take a discernible pause to glare at the batter.

You guys have your work cut out for you.

Last edited by drksd4848; 03-16-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #72
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnlange View Post
Ok Thats funny :-)
I had to redeem myself after my dumb Bit Torrent joke.

Last edited by drksd4848; 03-16-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #73
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

I don't think those changes will make it in by Monday. But all stuff to work on over the summer. We'll have to figure out a new way to handle the homerun animations. And need to decide how many players scratching themselves animations we'll need to have. I'm guessing at least 4 or 5 to have good variety, right?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #74
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

Ok now I think we can all agree that will only make a great game better right? :-)
jtnlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #75
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
I don't think those changes will make it in by Monday. But all stuff to work on over the summer. We'll have to figure out a new way to handle the homerun animations. And need to decide how many players scratching themselves animations we'll need to have. I'm guessing at least 4 or 5 to have good variety, right?
Are those animations you can buy? Or would you have to motion capture that?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #76
KentCol
Minors (Triple A)

Are you going to add umpires to the 3D views?
KentCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #77
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentCol View Post
Are you going to add umpires to the 3D views?
Yes, and they will all wear solidarity wristbands for Juan Rivera because the players hurt his little feelings.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #78
CMH
Hall Of Famer

I've bought every version of OOTP since v4. Would have bought 3 if I didn't discover the game near v4's release.

I was real close to not buying this year. Not for any reason other than I thought I was a bit burned out with simming.

Then I saw the 3D advancements, the new screens, and it hooked me in again. I hate to be the guy attracted to a game for the cool back of the box features, but it was exactly those things that brought me right back in.

Can't wait.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #79
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
Are those animations you can buy? Or would you have to motion capture that?
We'll probably rent a motion capture studio for a day in the Spring and then capture my awesome (*cough*) baseball skills. Should be fun

To be fair, I played baseball in organized leagues for 15 years, so I'm sure I'll do just good enough considering the size we show the animations in
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #80
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
We'll probably rent a motion capture studio for a day in the Spring and then capture my awesome (*cough*) baseball skills. Should be fun

To be fair, I played baseball in organized leagues for 15 years, so I'm sure I'll do just good enough considering the size we show the animations in
So you're telling me I need to book another flight to Germany to watch Markus pitch in a motion capture suit? Can we sell tickets to that to help pay for the costs