Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 02-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
gillespie
Bat Boy

No trades

I'm playing historical mode, started in 1917 and now I'm in 1940. During this time I've seen maybe five (slightly) significant trades. I know that you don't get noticed every time a trade occur (why not?), and every season there's usually between 5-10 minor trades (0,5 star for 0,5 star) – but why so few major/blockbuster trades? I've boosted the trade frequency to 82 without any result.

Any known solution to this problem?
gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:15 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

That's not too far off the historical numbers. It's tough to find thorough trade histories for those years, but nhltradetracker.com has them for a few seasons, e.g. http://nhltradetracker.com/user/trad...ason/1934-35/1

Note the small number of actual player-for-player trades - only 7 for the year. What there are a lot of, and which isn't in the game yet, is player sales (and many of the man-for-man trades had significant cash elements, too - Syd Howe going to Detroit was mostly about the $50000 St. Louis got back, not the pair of nondescript defencemen that were also swapped.) That's something I'm hoping to get added to pre-cap era historical play, although there are some issues that'll be need to figured out, e.g. selling star players outright wasn't something the league would let happen in later years.

There are also additional complications to getting the AI to trade regularly in really small leagues where there are few potential trading partners - we can get it to make more attempts at trading, but if the teams just don't have anything to offer to each other it won't happen. If Montreal doesn't have anything Toronto wants in 2018-19, not a big deal, that's only 1 team out of 30 potential partners, there are many other teams for the Leafs to get something done with. But if it happens in 1918-19, that's 50% of Toronto's potential trading partners gone because the only other team in the league besides those two is Ottawa.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
demons19
Minors (Double A)

I have played 5 seasons from 2017-2022 and have my trade setting at 45.....I have received ZERO trade requests from other teams. And my team is loaded with talent on the roster, AHL and unsigned prospects but nobody is interested.

Seems wrong to me...
demons19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by demons19 View Post
I have played 5 seasons from 2017-2022 and have my trade setting at 45.....I have received ZERO trade requests from other teams. And my team is loaded with talent on the roster, AHL and unsigned prospects but nobody is interested.

Seems wrong to me...
Do you have anyone on the trade block? Teams can occasionally send offers for players, but it's not very often. You need to have guys on the trade block if you want to receive offers.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
demons19
Minors (Double A)

I used to put players on the TB early on first couple seasons and never received an offer. I then realized I have to be the initiator 100% of the time which seems wrong. I am sure the trading part of the game is hard to get right. But ideally teams would have more disparity in their wants and needs and willingness to initiate trade.

For instance, you can shop a player and its with 98% certainty that every team replying will offer you a bad player and a 7th rd pick. All teams should not be identical in their response but in my 5 years they are. It's why shopping players has only one value, showing who is interested. Their offer is garbage.

I was pleasantly surprised, I recently did see some different interest for a 33yr old Drew Doughty I shopped door to door (not global shop), most teams wanting a RD refused to part with a 1st rd pick. Then all of a sudden I found a team who gave me 3 first rd picks & 2nd rd pick. Vancouver is 2nd in the West and really wanted him. I like that, that becomes possible where a team is clearly going for it.
demons19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by demons19 View Post
I used to put players on the TB early on first couple seasons and never received an offer. I then realized I have to be the initiator 100% of the time which seems wrong. I am sure the trading part of the game is hard to get right. But ideally teams would have more disparity in their wants and needs and willingness to initiate trade.

For instance, you can shop a player and its with 98% certainty that every team replying will offer you a bad player and a 7th rd pick. All teams should not be identical in their response but in my 5 years they are. It's why shopping players has only one value, showing who is interested. Their offer is garbage.

I was pleasantly surprised, I recently did see some different interest for a 33yr old Drew Doughty I shopped door to door (not global shop), most teams wanting a RD refused to part with a 1st rd pick. Then all of a sudden I found a team who gave me 3 first rd picks & 2nd rd pick. Vancouver is 2nd in the West and really wanted him. I like that, that becomes possible where a team is clearly going for it.
If you use the trade block, offers will come eventually. But sometimes you have to wait. Teams aren't always looking to make trades. The quality of players and the time of year can also have an impact as well. Being for instance near the Trade Deadline can greatly improve what you may get.

As for shopping a player, often the AI teams basically question why you're offering to move the player. If a player is older and on a high salary, most of the time teams will shy away. However at the right time for some teams you may get the right offer for you.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote