Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

I'm ready for Pitchf/x to dictate balls and strikes

Too many times have I heard coaches, players, announcers, etc comment on needing to figure out an umps strike zone. Too many times have I heard of catchers holding their tongue because they didn't want to upset an ump in fear of the ump making more calls against his team. Too many times have I seen players get rung up on a called third strike that was clearly a ball. Too many times have a seen a ball called a strike simply because the catcher was crafty enough to slide his glove up into the strike zone and make the ball look like a strike. Too many times have I seen a favorable strike zone (this shouldn't even exist) for a star player or for a certain count.

Pitchf/x (and it's various iterations from various networks) is accurate enough that it can be counted on. But here's the thing: it doesn't change. It doesn't have issues with catchers. It's consistent no matter the count or the batter. Players don't need to try and figure out what the strike zone on a daily basis.

I'm an old fuddy duddy, but I am ready to take balls and strikes out of the ump's hands and put them somewhere more consistent and fair.

What do you think?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the problem with the current system is that everybody knows the right call except the ump. Every TV broadcast shows you how much the umpires screw up. "Back in my day", you sometimes knew they messed up, but mostly gave them the benefit of the doubt. Not anymore.

Of course, the problem has nothing to do with what is right or wrong. You'd be putting 20 umpires out of work. The union would never let that happen.

I've always thought it was odd that tennis was able to implement this technology but baseball hasn't. Though I guess I probably already answered why. I'm not aware of any super powerful tennis linesperson union they had to appease.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I vote yes. RoboUmp will make the game better.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
DamPenguin
All Star Reserve

Resounding YES!! If the technology is there it's utter stupidity not to use it.
DamPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Yeah, the problem with the current system is that everybody knows the right call except the ump. Every TV broadcast shows you how much the umpires screw up. "Back in my day", you sometimes knew they messed up, but mostly gave them the benefit of the doubt. Not anymore.

Of course, the problem has nothing to do with what is right or wrong. You'd be putting 20 umpires out of work. The union would never let that happen.

I've always thought it was odd that tennis was able to implement this technology but baseball hasn't. Though I guess I probably already answered why. I'm not aware of any super powerful tennis linesperson union they had to appease.
Er, are you suggesting the umpires union is a powerful entity? 'Cause I'm just not seeing that. The Players' Association? Definitely a powerful entity. Umpires? Not so much.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Er, are you suggesting the umpires union is a powerful entity? 'Cause I'm just not seeing that. The Players' Association? Definitely a powerful entity. Umpires? Not so much.
lol. No, not really. I was just being flippant about linesman unions, which I assume do not exist.

I do assume the umpires union has enough power to potentially prevent adoption of pitch f/x technology when there is no other real guiding force (like increased revenue for MLB). Though if MLB really wanted it for some reason, they could always leave home plate umps in place just to call plays at home. Seems a bit of a waste though.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Though if MLB really wanted it for some reason, they could always leave home plate umps in place just to call plays at home. Seems a bit of a waste though.
How about barking at players that step out of the box?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
lol. No, not really. I was just being flippant about linesman unions, which I assume do not exist.

I do assume the umpires union has enough power to potentially prevent adoption of pitch f/x technology when there is no other real guiding force (like increased revenue for MLB). Though if MLB really wanted it for some reason, they could always leave home plate umps in place just to call plays at home. Seems a bit of a waste though.
Foul tips. Hit batters. Time between pitches. Backup incase of a technical malfunction. They would still be needed.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

The one thing the tech could do is provide a means by which to truly evaluate umpires on their calling of balls and strikes. There would be an objective against which they can be measured. A performance review, if you will.

Perhaps such performance reviews could be used to remove the bad pitch callers and retain the good ones. Get too many of your pitch calls wrong, and out you go.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Pitchf/x (and it's various iterations from various networks) is accurate enough that it can be counted on. But here's the thing: it doesn't change.
This statement in unconfirmed as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Players don't need to try and figure out what the strike zone on a daily basis.
and put them somewhere more consistent and fair.
These statements are unconfirmed as far as I can tell.

Quote:
What do you think?
This article is not current. I cannot find a current article like it. If you do please link it here.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=13109

"Ike Hall was the first analyst to observe a problem with the plate location data. At the 2008 PITCHf/x Summit, Ike’s presentation on data quality included a slide that indicated that the PITCHf/x location of the called strike zone at Dolphin Stadium in 2007 was shifted 4-5 inches toward the third base side of the plate."

"The difficulty of calibrating PITCHf/x data is finding a standard candle that is trustworthy and unchanging, especially for outside analysts who are examining the data after the fact and without access to the PITCHf/x camera parameters."

I posted about another Pitch F/x article that explained how the upper and lower limits of the trike zone were determined for each player. It was an old article also. I would like to find a more recent review of the accuracy before I jump on the Pitch f/x bandwagon.

I am all for automated ball/strike calls if the systems are proven to be substantially superior to the current human systems. I think this is achievable now, I just do not know if the work has really been done.

Last edited by TGH-Adfabre; 06-09-2017 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Blonde Moment
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Apparently MLB doesn't use Pitchf/x any more, they switched to Statcast which is not as accurate: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...a-bit-outside/
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #12
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

if it fixes the pitch framing BS I might be in favor of it
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote