Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:13 AM   #261
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Just now started exploring. My first impression, as others have mentioned, is that I love the clean look. Nice job with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
First thing I notice is the rearrangement of the player profile. Now, the only reason I probably don't like it right now is cause I'm not used to it, but is there any functional reason why everything was rearranged? Or was it just because?
I'm having a hard time with this one too and am also curious why this was rearranged. I suppose I'll eventually get used to it, but right now my poor little eyeballs are going left-right-left-right-left-right as I try to check out a player's batting and fielding ratings. It used to be you could check out batting ratings and fielding ratings with one glance. And then batting and summary/other with one glance. Those are the two pairs that I most often want to see at the same time, so it made sense to have batting in the middle. (but especially having batting and fielding next to each other - that's what I'm looking at most of the time when I'm on this page).
Cobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #262
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

My main issue with OOTP 18 is that it sometimes keeps me up past my bedtime.

Fantastic creation! Congratulations!
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #263
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

OK, I'm doing my first historical replay ever. So far I'm enjoying it bit for one thing. So much attention has been paid to detail that one area that was utterly ignored sticks out like a sore thumb. Owners, GMs, coaches... I don't know who the General Manager of the New York Giants was in 1934 but I do know it was not a black man named Darren Clay. We WOULD have heard of him breaking that color barrier. The GMs. Coaches, Owners all appear to be fictional. Why is that? It took me less than 15 minutes on Google to get the names of the entire team staff of the '34 Giants.

Other than that the only problems I see is many of the small minor league park sizes are set to a capacity of 45,000 and there are a lot of players with the first name Ballpayer (OK that one was unavoidable I get that).

The overall experience is great and it's a testament to how much attention was paid to detail that the areas that were not stick out so.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #264
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
First thing I notice is the rearrangement of the player profile. Now, the only reason I probably don't like it right now is cause I'm not used to it, but is there any functional reason why everything was rearranged? Or was it just because?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobby View Post

I'm having a hard time with this one too and am also curious why this was rearranged. I suppose I'll eventually get used to it, but right now my poor little eyeballs are going left-right-left-right-left-right as I try to check out a player's batting and fielding ratings. It used to be you could check out batting ratings and fielding ratings with one glance. And then batting and summary/other with one glance. Those are the two pairs that I most often want to see at the same time, so it made sense to have batting in the middle. (but especially having batting and fielding next to each other - that's what I'm looking at most of the time when I'm on this page).
there's a whole discussion about this topic in this thread..

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=275319
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #265
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

For the out of town scoreboard widget... would it be possible to have the completed games STAY on scoreboard instead of disappearing?

I never understood why it works that way? When games are completed, they should still be viewable in the widget.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #266
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
OK, I'm doing my first historical replay ever. So far I'm enjoying it bit for one thing. So much attention has been paid to detail that one area that was utterly ignored sticks out like a sore thumb. Owners, GMs, coaches... I don't know who the General Manager of the New York Giants was in 1934 but I do know it was not a black man named Darren Clay. We WOULD have heard of him breaking that color barrier. The GMs. Coaches, Owners all appear to be fictional. Why is that? It took me less than 15 minutes on Google to get the names of the entire team staff of the '34 Giants.

Other than that the only problems I see is many of the small minor league park sizes are set to a capacity of 45,000 and there are a lot of players with the first name Ballpayer (OK that one was unavoidable I get that).

The overall experience is great and it's a testament to how much attention was paid to detail that the areas that were not stick out so.
Darren Clay ha ha ha

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #267
chuy1530
Minors (Single A)

This being my first non-Steam year in a while one thing I'm really, really missing are is cloud saves. The lack of them makes me really wish I'd bought the Steam version, since I play on both my laptop and desktop and manually moving files is a pain.

Since we have a sign on now do you think we could ever get OOTP cloud saves in the game? It would take some server capacity I suppose, but it would be really good for people that use multiple PCs.
chuy1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #268
progen
All Star Starter

For historical play, see this thread in the bugs forum. I started my game in 1956, and noticed in 1961(may have missed it earlier) that the 2017 minimum salary of $535k/year, showed up in well over 50 players, most, if not all being in the minors. This has something to do with the reserve clause, which is explained in the thread below. Didn't see it get fixed in this latest patch.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=276354
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #269
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

I dont think this is an issue with the game, but how come when I sign an international free agent to a 2 year deal it gets auto renewed after that deal is up? I signed a 33 year old IFA to a 2 year deal and then after his deal he got auto renewed for another 10.5 million, and as far as I know, thats not how it works, considering I only signed him 2 years, and I only wanted him for 2 years.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #270
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
I dont think this is an issue with the game, but how come when I sign an international free agent to a 2 year deal it gets auto renewed after that deal is up? I signed a 33 year old IFA to a 2 year deal and then after his deal he got auto renewed for another 10.5 million, and as far as I know, thats not how it works, considering I only signed him 2 years, and I only wanted him for 2 years.
Once signed, international free agents fall under the same rules as everyone else, specifically what is required to be a free agent. Since the player doesn't have enough major league service time for free agency (or arbitration) they are auto-renewed. If you want rid of a player like this, you have to release at the end of the season. Not sure how exactly it matches real baseball, but that's how OOTP is configured.
ovccsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #271
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

The injury improvements are a definite highlight.

A nice update would be to make job opportunities a bit more reasonable. In my current league universe, I am a HS manager with a few years of average experience, yet have major league teams offering me full reigns (GM/M), with commissioner setting off.

It would be nice to have a setting that influences job opportunity toughness. Default could be what it is now. Toughest level would be where jobs open up sporadically at the next level up, and just applying doesn't mean you get it.

It would be nice to have the game assess your strengths/weaknesses as GM and or M and provide feedback during job applications.

For example - a job op requires certain qualifications (eg 5 seasons improving pitching performances at lower level).

But the current setup is a little better than nothing. A HS manager just needs to apply to take over a major league organization....
Old 04-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #272
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

Challenge Mode:

- being able to import existing game might boost participation

I looked over CM settings, and already it is easier than what I am using - classic injury, does not favor prospects, ratings is not set to very low, ratings available for human managers, player ai evaluations fungible .... *shrug* ... my leagues are more challenging.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #273
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonusWagner View Post
Challenge Mode:

I looked over CM settings, and already it is easier than what I am using - classic injury, does not favor prospects, ratings is not set to very low, ratings available for human managers, player ai evaluations fungible .... *shrug* ... my leagues are more challenging.
Yours may be, sure, and kudos to you for setting a challenge for yourself, but if that was allowed it would still be easy for someone to start up an OOTP17 game, rig it in their favor, then import.

Probably better that Challenge Mode is a fresh start, and hopefully you'll be able to import a CM game from this year into next year's edition. And participation may improve when people who are still working on imported games decide to try something new next week or month or whatever.

Last edited by Warhawk; 04-04-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #274
mcssports1
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thrown out on the bases

Even with the latest patches, I have literally not once successfully been safe when they ask whether you want to take the extra base. Probably 0 for 20 at this point. Even when it says X runner is very fast, the ball is deep, and Y outfielder has a bad arm, I still get thrown out at the plate. It's gotten to the point where no matter what the situation is I just say no and don't try to take the base. Is there a way to fix this?
mcssports1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #275
SFGiantsFan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonusWagner View Post
Challenge Mode:

I don't think the point of Challenge mode is as much to challenge yourself, which you can do on your own, but to provide a standardized set of settings that allow people to compare their progress as they continue to play the game. Sure, the game is not as hard as it can be, but I'm not sure it would be easy to get everyone to agree on a compilation of settings. Maybe it will be changed in future versions, but for a first step, I think they did a great job implementing it.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 AM   #276
Anyone
Major Leagues

Unhappy

I was angry at the game (and the devs) for not only not importing my OOTP 17 game, but crashing when I even tried to re-add my custom nation after deciding "Oh crap, I'd better just restart."

Well, I'm editing over that post because I found the problem as to its loading. Maybe others will come up, but it's loading fine now. The custom flag for a custom nation I added (and tried to add in the new game) was too big of a file. I noticed it was a bigger file than the other flags and tried reducing its size to equal the others. It weas kind of a "Well, may as well try this. I didn't really think it would work. But it did. It even just imported my 17 game. I haven't checked it for bugs yet, but it looks like it may work now. It certainly at least loads.

So, I retract 95% of my criticism (I retain 5%, because I ftp'd the bugged files as a zip file before the devs took their break, and they looked at it and didn't find it), but I'm now no longer angry I can't play the game, as it looks like I can.

Last edited by Anyone; 04-07-2017 at 04:13 AM. Reason: I found the problem, mostly my own fault
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #277
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan View Post
I don't think the point of Challenge mode is as much to challenge yourself, which you can do on your own, but to provide a standardized set of settings that allow people to compare their progress as they continue to play the game. Sure, the game is not as hard as it can be, but I'm not sure it would be easy to get everyone to agree on a compilation of settings. Maybe it will be changed in future versions, but for a first step, I think they did a great job implementing it.
Agreed
Old 04-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #278
drowssap
Minors (Double A)

I play game to game and I think the injury needs to be tweaked a bit.

Having the trainer come out at least once a game to check on someone is unrealistic. Maybe this change:

Instead of just during the inning, have it happen after the inning when they guy comes to the dugout. Ones that happen during the inning should have a higher percentage of leaving the game. Ones in the dugout can stay around the same as they are.

For pitchers, they should leave the game at a greater than 50% rate either during the inning or when the trainer looks at them in the dugout.

I think seeing text like "End of 4, it's still 1-1. Looks like the trainer is working on Betts' knee. Maybe he tweaked it during the inning? He looks alright to continue."
drowssap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #279
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

Starting to worry that there's too much offense. Didn't this happen last year early, before it was patched?

40 games into my sim, no team has an ERA below 4.0. There are currently at least 15 players with an OPS >1.0. Eleven players are projected to end the year with >50 home runs, three of them >60. Melky Cabrera and Altuve just dueled each other to 33- and 34-game hitting streaks respectively. A few days later, Seager just hit a 20-game streak.

I don't touch any settings that would affect this (playing an MLB game in Challenge mode).

Last edited by Shake Appeal; 04-06-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Shake Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #280
mva5580
Bat Boy

Download link not working for anyone else?
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote