Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > FHM 3 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 3 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM dynasties here!

Old 02-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
Papi
All Star Starter

Hockey East Professional Hockey League

I always enjoyed writing dynasties for my OOTP teams, but hockey has always been my #1 sport, so logic dictates that I try my hand at that. I created a very simple 2 division, 12 team league based off of the College Hockey Conference, Hockey East. The season will be 80 games long, 10 minute overtime, no shootouts, 2 points for an OT win, zero points for OT loss. It's all or nothing in OT.

Each team has one minor league team and there is a Junior League to help feed us yearly.

I am a University of New Hampshire graduate, class of 1994, so I will be taking control of the Wildcats, who are housed in the "Orr Division" along with the Maine Black Bears, Merrimack Warriors, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Connecticut Huskies and Vermont Catamounts.

The "Bergeron Division" consists of the Boston College Eagles, Boston University Terriers, Massachusetts Minutemen, UMass-Lowell River Hawks, Northeastern Huskies, and Providence Friars.

I am not entirely sure on the format yet, as all I have ever done are baseball dynasties. I do know that it will primarily follow UNH, and I will call out other interesting things that happen league wide.

I will start I suppose with rosters, key players and expectations for the initial season of the HEPHL.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
Papi
All Star Starter

Initial Draft Recap

I went into the draft with a couple of goals. 1) Draft the best possible player, regardless of position in Round 1. 2) Make sure that my first three picks were C, D, and G, regardless of order. I wanted to ensure that I had a solid player at each position, and then I'd work from there. I think I succeeded on both fronts.

I got really lucky and ended up with the 1st overall pick, and my choice came down to two players. 29 year old C Reed Berg and 23 year old Jakub Honek. In the end, Honek may be in the league longer, but Berg was the best player in the draft, and he's now the face of the Wildcats. There is nothing Berg doesn't do well. The 6'1", 196lb center from Toronto is not only expected to battle for the league lead in scoring, he may very well also be the best defensive forward in the league.

With picks 2 and 3 (Which happened to be back to back due to the snake style draft), I picked up both my goalie of the future as well as my #1 defenseman. At the end of round 2, I selected 25 year old d-man Jan Kulhavy. Kulhavy still has room to grow (3.0/4.5), but is already solid in his own zone, and starting to come into his own on the offensive front. He will be my horse and you should see him on the ice 23-27 minutes a game.

Round 3, pick 1, I went with Goalie Wilbur Husted. The 26 year old Husted from San Diego, CA has got the physical skills, but there are some questions about what's going on upstairs. I guess that's to be expected though. Goalies are a unique bunch.

Round 4--C Alex Miller--Miller is destined to be my #2 center. As you can see, my plan is to be strong up the middle and work from there. Miller is a solid offensive forward, and is just as strong in the defensive zone.

Round 5--D Randolph Frazier--Another 25 year old blueliner that should hold down his position for us for the next 5-10 years. The smooth skating Frazier has got some sweet passing skills, and despite being just 180lbs packs quite a punch if someone gets in his way.

Round 6--D Billy Richards--We are now three deep with mid 20's defensemen as we picked Richards with the last pick of round 6. Richards is my hard hitter. He will pair nicely with Kulhavy as the #1 d-pairing.

Round 7--LW Cole Kersey--Our first wing selected in Round 7 will team with Berg, hopefully putting all sorts of pressure on the opponents. Kersey is the definition of a "power forward". When he gets his skates dug in, in the crease, he is near impossible to move.

Round 8--G Stephen Sanders--Looking back, this was a reach, but I didn't want to be left with no backup goalie that I could trust. Sanders should be a capable backup, nothing more.

Round 9--RW Peter Dolezaj--Dolezaj gets by on his intelligence. He's got the smarts, if not the high end skills. He will ultimately be named Captain. He will likely be one of my 3rd line wingers, moving up to the 2nd line in a pinch.

Round 10--D Homer Mazurek--The last pick of the first 10 rounds is the elder statesman so far. At age 33, Mazurek should be a solid teacher for the "20 somethings" on the blue line. Mazurek has a bomb of a shot and is a stone wall on defense. He's not a great skater, but makes up for it with his positioning. Think Zdeno Chara at age 40.

Below is also the preview for the inaugural season of the HEPHL. General thoughts are that UNH and UMASS are the cream of the crop, but can expect a push from the Northeastern Huskies and BU Terriers.

Next up will be a review of the first couple of months of the first ever season of the Hockey East Professional Hockey League!
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 02-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #3
Big T
Hall Of Famer

Interesting

I enjoy fictional because there are no pre conceived idea's on how players should perform and less biases.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Papi
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Interesting

I enjoy fictional because there are no pre conceived idea's on how players should perform and less biases.
I like it honestly because I find it easier to connect with the players. I find my favorites and the people/teams that I hate. First recap covers the season through the end of the 2016 calendar year.

Team Record 26-19-4 56 Points--2nd Place--Orr Division

Team Leaders--
Goals--Reed Berg 25, Cole Kersey 20, Peter Dolezaj 13
Assists--Kersey 29, Berg, 27, Alex Miller/Randolph Miller 24
Points--Berg 52, Kersey 49, Miller 36
Plus/Minus--Kersey 21, Billy Richards 19, Berg 19
PIM--Bill Pownall 75, Marek Vlach 62, Richards 57
Wins--Wilbur Husted 26
GAA--Husted 2.26
Sv %--Husted .910

Recap--

Overall, pleased with how things have gone. We were in first place most of the season until a 1-6-2 stretch in November knocked us down a notch, behind the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. To date, I have few complaints with how my head coach is running things. He is riding Husted into the ground, having started him in every single game thus far, but you can't argue with the results.

As GM, I have made it a point to resist trading anyone, as I really want to at the very least, give us a full year to see what we have. When the year ends, I may choose to move a few of my older assets for draft picks as I tend to hoard picks.

Prospect Update--

There are no real "prospects" across the league as the youngest players all appear to be about 22-23 years old. That being said, we have a couple of youngsters that haven't reached their full potential.

C--Kane Miner (0.5/1.5) 12 GP 0 g 1 a +2
RW--Troy van Hanenfeldt (0.5/1.5) 32 GP 1 g 2 a 32 PIM -5

These updates will likely change and develop as the dynasty does, but for now, the next post will probably be at the Trade Deadline. Thanks for watching!
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
Papi
All Star Starter

End of the Season Report

47-25-6 (2nd Place--Orr Division)--I decided to just sim through to the end of the season as the trade deadline this year was very uneventful, unless you consider 18 trades of 1/2 star talent eventful. Next season will likely be more detailed, but I am eager to get to the draft and free agency I don't. Regardless, January was a month to remember for the Wildcats, who went 10-0-2 in the month and had a stretch of 24-2-4 between the end of December and end of February. It still wasn't enough to catch Notre Dame, who won the division with a 48-23-7 mark.

Team Leaders--

Goals--Reed Berg 46, Cole Kersey 31, Peter Dolezaj 24
Assists--Kersey 55, Berg 51, Alex Miller/Jan Kulhavy 35
Points--Berg 97, Kersey 84, Miller 58
Plus/Minus--Berg 45, Kersey 41, Larry Cameron 39
PIM--Marek Vlach 151, Bill Pownall 95 (By the way, I drafted him simply because of his name, and he ended up being a pretty servicable 3rd/4th liner), Billy Richards 73
Wins--Wilber Husted 47
GAA--Husted 2.12
SV %--Husted .914

2016-2017 HEPHL Playoffs--

The First Round of the playoffs will see the following matchups:

(1) Notre Dame Fighting Irish v. (8) UMass-Lowell River Hawks
(3) UNH Wildcats vs (6) Boston College Eagles
(5) Northeastern Huskies vs. (4) Vermont Catamounts
(7) Providence Friars vs (2) UMass Minutemen

Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
Papi
All Star Starter

2016 HEPHL Playoffs

Quarterfinals

New Hampshire v Boston College
Game 1--UNH 3 BC 2
Game 2--UNH 6 BC 1
Game 3--BC 5 UNH 3
Game 4--UNH 2 BC 1
Game 5--BC 2 UNH 1 (OT)
Game 6--UNH 5 BC 1
UNH wins Series, 4-2

(1) Notre Dame def. (8) Umass-Lowell 4 Games to 3
(2) Massachusetts def. (7) Providence 4 Games to 2
(5) Vermont def. (4) Northeastern 4 Games to 2

Semifinals

(3) New Hampshire v. (2) Massachusetts
Game 1--UMass 4 UNH 1
Game 2--UMass 5 UNH 4
Game 3--UMass 4 UNH 3
Game 4--UMass 3 UNH 2
Massachusetts wins Series, 4-0

(1) Notre Dame def. (5) Vermont 4 Games to 1

Championship

(1) Notre Dame v (2) Massachusetts
Game 1--Notre Dame 4 UMass 1
Game 2--Notre Dame 4 UMass 2
Game 3--UMass 6 Notre Dame 3
Game 4--UMass 2 Notre Dame 1 (OT)
Game 5--UMass 3 Notre Dame 1
Game 6--UMass 3 Notre Dame 2 (OT)
Massachusetts wins Series, 4-2

The Massachusetts Minutemen win the inaugural HEPHL Championship!

UMass C Pepe Molina is named playoff MVP, going 7-12-19 and was a +17 in 16 games.

2016 Award Winners

As I mentioned in the initial post, covering why I chose Reed Berg with the #1 pick of the draft, he could win the scoring title (he did) as well as being the best defensive forward in the league (he was). Berg cleaned up, winning MVP, Defensive Forward of the year, +/- Leader, leading goal scorer, and the overall points leader. I'd say he earned that #1 pick.

That being said, the other player I was considering taking with that pick, Jakub Honek, took home the "Newcomer of the Year" award, whatever that means in the inaugural season of a league, scoring 25 goals and adding 39 assists in 74 games.

MVP--Reed Berg (UNH) 46g 51a 97 Points +46
Goalie of the Year--Wilbur Husted (UNH) 47-25-6 2.12 GAA .914 Sv%
Defenseman of the Year --Lubomir Janosek (UMass) 15g 44a 59 Points +39
Defensive Forward of the Year--Reed Berg (UNH)

Attached Images
Old 02-12-2017, 12:49 AM   #7
Papi
All Star Starter

HEPHL 2017 Draft Recap

As expected, the draft was LOADED. 5 star talent available through round 2. I am extremely happy with how things turned out for us. We should see anywhere between 5-7 teenagers earn playing time for us this upcoming season.

Round 1--10th Overall--C Vitaly Perunov (3.5/5.0). The 6'3", 221lb 19 year old is going to be an absolute stud. Big, strong kid with the offensive skills to match. He's likely to start as the 3rd line center behind Berg and Miller, and will play on all special teams as well. He had 25 goals and 29 assists in 47 games last season in Juniors.

Round 2--22nd Overall--RW Joseph Miles (3.5/4.5). This 19 year old immediately becomes our first line RW and the beneficiary of playing with the HEPHL's #1 and #3 scorers from a year ago, Reed Berg and Cole Kersey. This kid is a tank, standing only 5'11", but weighing a solid 210 lbs. He's lagging a little behind on the defensive end, but for now, we just want him picking up the trash and throwing his weight around. He had 37 goals, 36 assists and threw in 209 PIM's in 61 games a year ago for Cambridge of the Junior Leagues.

Round 3--34th Overall--RD Chris Newsome (2.0/5.0). This kid has some filling out to do, but already weights just under 200 and stands 5; 11". When he does, watch out. He is never expected to provide much offense, although he does have a wicked slap shot. His strength is in his own zone, where he is a ferocious hitter. He will start on the 3rd d-man pairing, but will likely end up as a top tier #1 blue liner. Newsome had 45 points, including 13 goals and 98 PIM's in 79 games last year in the minors.

Round 4-- 46th Overall--G Perry Deresky (1.5/4.5). Yes, we have the reigning Goalie of the Year in Wilbur Husted, but he was also ridden like Secretariet. I wanted to get someone in the fold that our head coach trusted and would actually play. The 18 year old Deresky was 34-23-7 with a 3.03 GAA and .899 Sv % a year ago, and will back up Husted (and hopefully see the ice.)

Round 5--58th Overall--LD Allan O'Reardon (2.0/4.0). Another 19 year old blueliner. Another kid with a rocket, but will be known more for his defensive abilities. He and Newsome will be our 3rd d-man pairing this year, but within a year or two, they could be 1 and 1a.

Round 6--70th Overall--RD Ethan Kelley (2.0/4.0). As we stock up on teenage defenseman, Kelley becomes the third in a row selected. Kelley is a little more balanced than the two taken before him. He won't be quite as good on D, but is already a more polished offensive force. He's got the cannon, but also has some slick passing ability.

Round 7--82nd Overall--C Howard Sulley (2.0/3.5). Our last pick will also be our starting 4th line center this season. He's all about the offense. He won't ever be much of a defensive forward, but paired with the right wings, and watch out, he could be a force. Sulley had 19 goals and 52 assists last season in 71 games for the Ashby Wanderers of the NEJL (New England Junior Leagues).

Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #8
Papi
All Star Starter

2017 HEPHL Free Agency

There were oodles of top tier free agents available this off season with the influx of young talent, not to mention young talent that wasn't drafted, but still available. We dove in a signed a couple of players that we feel will help us immediately as well as down the road.

Our biggest signing was RW Grady Williams. We signed the 25 year old to a 3 year deal worth a total of $16 million dollars. A year ago, Williams put up a 20-21-41 line in 78 games for the BC Eagles. He is a solid player in both ends of the ice, which is something I felt we needed with the number of young players making their way through the Whittemore Center this year.

Beyond that, we also signed a number of kids to 2-3 year deals, worth anywhere between $550,000 and $925,000. Names and current/potential attributes are below. Most will start with Manchester, our minor league affiliate, but they could potentially all see time with UNH, except for maybe Benson.

LW--Elliott Wolf (1.5/3.0)
G--Alex Acampora (1.5/4.0)
LW--Lukas Rezac (1.5/2.5)
D-Jiri Sinc (1.5/3.0)
G--Jake Benson (1.5/3.0)
LD--Jason Bowling (1.5/3.0)

Other FA signings of Note (Old Team/New Team/2016 Stats/Contract)

LW--Rene Pavik--Notre Dame/Vermont/28-30-58/6 years $30.5m
C--Simon Jourdain--New Hampshire/Boston College/12-25-37/2 years $9.4m
D Oskar Anderson--Providence/Notre Dame/10-23-33/4 years $22.7m
LW--Milan Sim--Boston University/Maine/26-20-46/1 year $7m
D--Mark Regis-UMass Lowell/Notre Dame/10-25-35 155 PIM/3 years $19.4m
RW--Curt Walsh--Vermont/Providence/25-43-68/6 years $40.6m

Attached Images
Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
Papi
All Star Starter

Quarter Year Update

17-2-1 (1st Place--Orr Division)

We've absolutely steamrolled the competition so far. Through 20 games, we've outscored the opposition, 76-34, and our two losses were a 1-0 loss to Merrimack, where we outshot the Warriors 36-14, and a 2-1, OT loss to the defending champion Massachusetts Minutemen. (I've noticed that the stats are wrong for goalies. Wilbur Husted is listed as having gone 17-1-2 this year. It doesn't seem to track OT losses as losses, but as OT games. Team win/loss stats are also wrong. Shows me 6-2-0 and 11-1-1 home/road splits. That's 17-3-1 Just a thing, no big deal.)

Reed Bergcontinues his domination of the HEPHL with 14 goals and 12 assists for a league leading 26 points in 20 games. Cole Kersey currently sits third with 10-15-25 thus far. Wilbur Husted continues to get ridden unfairly, but he's performing, posting a 1.66 GAA and a.918 Sv %.

Games of Note--

9/24/17--Reed Berg and rookie rookie Elliot Wolf, playing in just his 2nd career game, each had hat tricks, and fellow rookie Lukas Rezak added a pair of goals as UNH hammered Notre Dame, 8-2.

10/1/17--Reed Berg had two goals and added two assists and D Billy Richards had 4 assists as UNH throttled Providence, 5-1.

10/11/17--Jan Kulhavy had two goals and two assists in a UNH 6-2 win over Merrimack.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #10
Papi
All Star Starter

2017 Midway Point New Hampshire Wildcats HEPHL

30-9-1 (1st place Orr Division)

13-7 in the last 20. Obviously we couldn't keep up the pace of the first quarter, but we still maintain a comfortable lead in the Division. Injuries certainly played a role in the leveling off as Cole Kersey, Alex Miller, Vitali Perunov and Randolph Frazier all missed time over the previous few weeks.

Biggest surprise thus far though has to be the play of rookie Elliott Wolf. Wolf went undrafted and we signed him to a 3 year contract. He's bounced around between all four lines and has scored 14 goals in 39 games, making him 2nd overall on the team. He's scored more than highly touted draftees Perunov and and Joseph Miles.

Pretty cool note out of Boston University. G Harry Mercer, who won 29 games a year ago for Northeastern, but couldn't find a home this off-season with the influx of talented rookies, signed with the Terriers on November 2nd, and all he's done since then is go 9-1-1 in 11 starts with a minuscule 1.27 GAA to go along with a .947 Sv %. The 31 year old Mercer showing those kids whose boss.

Game Performances--

11/13--Don Moser (BU)--Scored all four goals in a 4-0 win for the Terriers over the Maine Black Bears.
11/17--Rich Reville (NU)--had a hat trick, and added three assists, for six points total in an 8-3 win for the Huskies against the Merrimack Warriors.

Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
Papi
All Star Starter

And the streak is broken!!! After starting 126 straight games, we had a long talk with head coach, Brennan Sullivan, telling him that he has two goalies and it's time he started taking advantage of that strategy, and give Wilbur Husted a break every once in a while.

What happened you ask? Well of course rookie 3rd round pick, Perry Deresky, gave up a goal on the first shot he faced, and two goals on the first three shots. We ended up winning the game 5-4 in OT, and Deresky came back and stopped all 21 shots he faced in his 2nd game, a 4-0 shutout over the Boston University Terriers, and just one goal on 27 shots in his third start. Hopefully this trend of developing the rookie goaltender will continue.

(In reality, I finally found the button that forces the AI to use goalie start strategies. I'm dumb.)
Attached Images
Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #12
Papi
All Star Starter

3/4 Year Update

45-13-2 92 Points (1st Place--Orr Division)

Our best player is without question Reed Berg, but it appears that the straw that stirs the drink is Cole Kersey. We are 33-6-2 in games he plays, and 12-7 without him. He's scored 44 points in 41 games, including 20 goals, riding shotgun for Berg. He's seemingly healthy now and that bodes well for us the rest of the season.

Another big surprise this year is the offensive output of free agent signee Grant Williams. We signed him because he was a solid two way forward. He scored 41 points in 78 games last year for Boston College, but has already surpassed that this season, scoring 19 goals and adding 26 assists for 45 points in 59 games.
News and Notes

--Jakub Honek of the UMass Minutemen, scored in eight straight games between 12/26 and 1/9, scoring 10 times during that stretch. For the season, the 24 year old Honek has put up a 27-16-42 line in 53 games.
--Alex Miller of UNH had a 5 game goal scoring streak that saw him put an absurd 8-3-11 during the stretch. He had 19 shots on goal in total during that span and was also a +7.
--The first major trade in HEPFL history went down this month as the Vermont Catamounts send 31 year old RW Taylor Berard to the Merrimack Warriors in exchange for 19 year old prospect D Clarence O'Sheill. Berard scored 33 points in 71 games a year ago, but has struggled this year to the tune of 4-9-13 in 49 games for the Catamounts. In return, Vermont gets the exciting O'Sheill. The 19 year old has yet to see ice time in the HEPHL, but has put up a line of 12-28-40 in 58 games in the Juniors for the Keene Riverhawks. he could be Vermont's #1 DMan as early as next year. I don't understand this trade from Merrimack's point of view. The only thing I can consider is there is something between the ears not right with O'Sheill as this is the 2nd time this year he's been traded, as earlier in the season, Merrimack picked him up from Providence for C Tom McCreedy.

Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image