Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-14-2019, 01:24 AM   #421
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 1st, 1987

It is our penultimate spring game. The Giants (Willie Fraser) are facing the Braves (Norm Charlton).

I am in my usual spot.

I made a very solid play to get the first batter - Milt Thompson - out on a grounder.

Oh no. Robby Thompson was involved in a collision at 2nd and he went down hard. He had to be helped from the field. It looked like his shoulder or something. I hope it isn't too bad.

Andres Galarraga is the guy who slammed into him, but he actually seemed to feel bad about it.

I think Chili Davis lost his concentration because of that, as he dropped a fly ball for an error that scored Gerald Perry. Then Andres Thomas singled, scoring Gary Sheffield and Ken Griffey Jr.

That Griffey kid is even younger than me.

The Braves lead 3-0, all of them unearned.

I led off the home half by striking out.

In the 2nd I grabbed a Galarraga grounder for the last out.

In the 3rd Norm Charlton, of all people, delivered with a single that scored Sheffield and Thomas. I then caught a Thompson pop for the 3rd out.

Braves lead 5-0

I led off our half of the 3rd by striking out again.
We got a run that inning when Chris Brown scored on a Chili double.

Braves lead 5-1

I came up in the 4th with two out and Bob Brenly on 3rd and Alan Cockrell on 2nd. I dropped one into centre for a single and both men scored! Then I stole 2nd. I was left there.

Braves lead 5-3

Mike Perez took over pitching for us.
I got the 2nd out for him, off a Thomas grounder.

In the 6th we turned a sac bunt into a Perez - Priske - Cockrell double play to get Nelson Santovenia and Brian Fisher out.

I was lifted for a pinch hitter in the 7th.

We came back to win it 6-5.

The big news was Robby Thompson, however. It turns out the the has torn his labrum and will be out for 3-4 months, Tough break for Robby and the team. It is a good thing the front office signed vet Bobby Grich.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #422
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 2nd, 1987

We are wrapping up our spring schedule against the Pirates.

The Giants have Mark Grant facing Rick Rhoden.

I led off the game by singling to right. I am immediately caught stealing on a pitchout.
Chili Davis got the scoring started with a solo homer.

Giants lead 1-0.

I made my first defensive play in the 2nd, taking a Rhoden grounder for the final out.

I came up with one out in the 3rd and struck out.
The team came up back after that, though, as Chris Brown singled, Chili walked, Steve Stanicek singled - scoring Chris. Then Rob Deer smacked a three run homer.

Giants lead 5-0.

In the bottom half I started a Priske - Grich - Cockrell double play to get Ozzie Smith and Kirk Gibson to end the inning.

I came up in the 4th with one out and Phil Ouellette on 1st. Cecilio Guante was pitching. I managed a walk. Guante struck out the next two, leaving us.

The Bucs got on the board in the 4th when Sap Randall singled homer Don Baylor from 2nd. I grabbed an Ozzie Smith grounder for the 3rd out with bases loaded.

Giants lead 5-1.

Bill Laskey took over for us in the 5th. He gave up single to Johnny Ray but then Gibson hit into another Priske - Grich - Cockrell double play. It is a good thing too because Leon Durham then put one over the right field fence.

Giants lead 5-2

I was lifted for a pinch hitter in the 6th.

We ended up winning 7-5.

Overall I was not thrilled with my spring performance, but it did start to pickup at the end. Hopefully that continues into the season.

When all settled out, there were some surprises on our Opening Day Roster.

Rotation

Bruce Ruffin
Eric Show
Doyle Alexander
Terry Mulholland
Dave Miller

Miller came out of nowhere to take the last spot.

Bullpen

Dennis Eckersley
Scott Garrelts
Jeff Robinson
Frank Williams
Mark Clear
Mark Davis

The bullpen is going to be a strength again.

LINEUP

SS - Rusty Priske
3B - Chris Brown
RF - Chili Davis
CF - Steve Stanicek
LF - Rob Deer
C - Bob Brenly
1B - Tom O'Malley
2B - Bobby Grich

Alan Cockrell got a lot of work at 1st during the spring but in the end they gave the spot to a utility man. Huh.

Bench

C - Scott Bradley
1B - Dan Driessen
IF - Craig Grebeck
IF - John Rabb
OF - Eddie Milner

In addition to Alan, Bill Laskey was sent down. I couple of guys I knew well were placed on waivers - the biggest name being Mark Grant.

We are ready for Opening Day in San Francisco.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #423
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 6th, 1987

Opening Day for my 3rd year in the league!

The Giants have Bruce Ruffin going against Mark Langston and the Padres.

I have had a lot of success against Langston, going 5 for 10.

Okay hometown fans! Let's go!

We got the Pads in order and then I led off our season by... striking out.

I made my first defensive play of the year in the 3rd, shopping a Tony Gwynn grounder for the 2nd out.

I came up with two out in the bottom half and struck out again.

In the 4th I started a nice Priske - Grich - O'Malley double play to get John Kruk and Kevin McReynolds out.

I came up in the 5th with two out and Ruffin on 2nd. I struck out AGAIN. Three at-bats this season and all are strikeouts!

We finally opened the scoring in the 6th. Chris Brown led off with a single. With one out Steve Stanicek also singled. With two out Bob Brenly singled, scoring Chris. Then Tom O'Malley singled home Steve and Bobby Grich singled home Bob.

Giants lead 3-0.

I led off the 7th for us and I broke the streak, dropping one into left for a single. I quickly grabbed my first stolen base on the season. I moved to 3rd on a Brown ground out. I scored on a two out double by Stanicek.

Giants lead 4-0.

After Bruce gave up a lead off single in the 8th, Nestor lifted him for Jeff Robinson. He got out of it.

I came up in the bottom half with two out, Bobby Grich on 2nd and pinch hitter Jerry Mumphrey on 1st. I struck out for the 4th time today.

Scott Garrelts came in the pitch the 9th. He got his three and we had won Opening Day with a shut out!

I got a single, a stolen base, and a run scored... but I struck out FOUR times.

Oh, I never said... we are predicted to finish 2nd in our division, 8 games behind the Reds.

Bruce Ruffin and Eric Show are pegged to be Top 10 pitchers. None of our hitters got the same respect.

Mark Langston is pencilled in as the Cy Young favourite. Still...

Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #424
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 7th, 1987

Game 2 of the season and game 2 vs the Padres.

The Giants are going with Eric Show and the Pads have Dave Dravecky.

I have gone 8 for 28, .286 against Dravecky.

Steve Stanicek made a highlight reel catch off a Tony Gwynn liner to kick things off.

I led off our half by working a walk.
Stolen base #2.
With one out I grabbed stolen base #3.
I was unable to score.

In the 3rd I got Gwynn out on a Randy Ready fielder's choice. We gave up our first run of the year that inning when Kevin McReynolds singled, scoring Ready. Then John Kruk scored on an Ozzie Guillen sac fly.

Padres lead 2-0

I came up with two out in the 3rd and grounded out to Carmelo Martinez at 1st.

In the 6th we turned a Grich - Priske - O'Malley double play to get Gwynn and Ready.

I led off our half by grounding out to Glenn Hubbard at 2nd.
The rest of the inning went better, capped off with a Rob Deer three-run blast!

Giants lead 3-2

Jeff Robinson came in to pitch for us in the 7th. He got through the inning and then Dennis Eckersley came in for the 8th.

I led off the bottom half by flying out to Kruk in centre.
In that inning Chris Brown scored on a Child Davis double.

Giants lead 4-2

In the 9th I started a Priske - Grich - O'Malley double play to end the game and give Eck the save.

We are still undefeated.

I was 0 for 3 with a walk and a stolen base. I am hitting .125

Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #425
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 8th, 1987

We wrap up our first series today.

The Giants are pitching Doyle Alexander against the Padres and Eric King.

Eric is a form teammate and I have gone 1 for 3 against him.

After the friars went down in order, I led off our half by working a walk.
Stolen base #4.
Stolen base #5.
I scored on a one out wild pitch by King.

Giants lead 1-0

The lead was short lived as Kevin McReynolds led off the 2nd with a solo homer.

Game tied 1-1

They struck again in the 3rd when King scored on a McReynolds single. Then Randy Ready scored on a Carmelo Martinez fielder's choice that I handled.

Padres lead 3-1

I got the 1st out in the 5th, taking a Tony Gwynn grounder.

I came up in the bottom half with one out and Doyle on 1st. (Both pitchers have hit the other. Something to watch out for.)
I grounded one back to the pitcher but King threw it away and Doyle and I were both safe.
We were left.

The Padres scored again in the 7th when Frank White scored on a Gwynn double. I got the next two outs off grounders by Ready and Kruk.

Padres lead 4-1

I came up in the bottom half with one out and Tom O'Malley on 2nd and Bobby Grich on 1st. Mark Williamson was pitching. I hit into a double play.

Frank Williams took over pitching for us in the 8th.

We got one back in our half when Chris Brown scored on a Stanicek double.

Padres lead 4-2

I got the 1st out in the 9th, taking a Darrell Miller grounder.

I came up with two out in the 9th and Scott Bradley on 1st. Lance McCullers was pitching and I represented the tying run.

Slider on the outside corner for strike one.
Down and away. 1-1.
I drop one into left for a single.

Chris Brown grounded out and we had our first loss.

I went 1 for 4 with a single, a walk, two stolen bases and my batting average is up to .167

We had a bunch of waiver action yesterday.
We lost Mark Grant to the Cubs. (I thought it was a mistake to send him down.)
We lost Mike Jones to the Angels.

Meanwhile we got Fran Mullins back off waivers from the Tigers.
We also got Brian Giles from the Mets and Bobby Miscik from the Pirates.

Giles joined us and Craig Grebeck was sent down.

Brian seems like a good guy. He is also the biggest threat to my playing time. I better start producing!

Last edited by rpriske; 04-21-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #426
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 9th, 1987

Our first road game is literally just down the road, in L.A.

The Giants are pitching Terry Mulholland against Moose Haas and the Dodgers.

Last year Haas was a reliever and I have gone a mere 0 for 1 against him.

I led off the game by flying out to Dave Winfield in deep right.

The Dodgers struck early as their second batter was Candy Maldonado and he hit a two-run homer. Dave Winfield that made it two home runs in a row.
I got a Tim Wallach grounder for the 1st out. Then the same from Darrell Evans for the 2nd.

Dodgers lead 3-0

I led off the 3rd by taking a walk. I moved to 2nd on a Chris Brown single. Chili Davis walked to load them up. Steve Stanicek doubled and Chris and I scored. After that Chili scored on a Bob Brenly sac fly and Steve scored on a Tom O'Malley sac fly and we had the lead.

Giants lead 4-3

In the bottom half I started a Priske - Grich - O'Malley double play to get Winfield and Wallach.

I led off the 4th by striking out.

I got the 1st out in the 5th off an Evans grounder. Then Benito Santiago ground out to me for #2. But then the Dodgers tied it up when pinch hitter Gene Larkin knocked in Mookie Wilson with a double. Then Dave Anderson singled home Larkin.
Nestor lifted Terry for Frank Williams after that.

Dodgers lead 5-4

In the bottom half we evened it back up when Tommy O doubled home Brenly.

Game tied 5-5

Jerry Mumphrey led off the 6th with a pinch hit double, but hurt his knee sliding into the base. It looked pretty bad, but it is hard to tell. John Rabb came in as a pinch runner, and then I was up. Ricky Horton was pitching. I lined out to Evans at 1st.
We were unable to score.

Mark Davis took the mound for us.
He struggled a bit in his first outing but was bailed out by an amazing throw by Rob Deer to catch Santiago at the plate.
Mark Clear took over with two out but couldn't strand the inherited runner as Mookie scored on an Anderson double.

Dodgers lead 6-5

Scott Garrelts took over for us in the 8th.
He struggled a bit, walking two before Franklin Stubbs scored Keith Lockhart with a one out single.

Dodgers lead 7-5

I led off the 9th against Larry Anderson. I struck out.
We were unable to score.

We are now 2-2.

I went 0 for 4 with a walk and a run.
I am now hitting .125

The team made a couple of changes after the game. Tom O'Malley and Scott Bradley were sent to Phoenix. Alan Cockrell and Bobby Miscik were called up.

Alan earned the spot in S.T.
Miscik is yet another SS. I had better start producing.

Last edited by rpriske; 04-22-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #427
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 10th, 1987

The Giants are pitching unheralded newcomer, Dave Miller. The Dodgers are going with vet Joe Niekro.

I have gone 5 for 11 vs Niekro.

I kicked off the game by grounding out to Steve Sax at 2nd.

In the bottom half I handled a Candy Maldonado grounder for the 2nd out and a Tim Wallach grounder for the 3rd.

In the 2nd we opened the scoring when Bob Brenly crossed on an Alan Cockrell single. Later Alan scored on an error.

Giants lead 2-0.

Things went bad for Dave in the 2nd. He gave up three hits before walking Franklin Stubbs with the bases loaded. Then Dave Winfield scored on a Mariano Duncan sac fly. Sax walloped a two out, three run homer.

Dodgers lead 5-2.

I led off the 3rd by working a four pitch walk. Chris Brown hit into a double play.

I came up next in the 5th with one out, Alan on 2nd, and Bobby Grich on 1st. I took a curveball off my elbow. It stung. The trainer came out and had a look, but I told him I was fine. Chris singled, scoring Alan. Chili singled and Bobby scored. I tried to score as well, but was thrown out at home. Both Chris and Chili scored on a Steve Stanicek double.

Giants lead 6-5.

Mark Davis took over on the mound for us. He got one out and then Nestor went with Mark Clear. He walked Maldonado he later scored on a Wallach single.

Game is tied 6-6.

After Mark gave up a one out double, Nestor switched to Scott Garrelts. We got a Grich - Priske - Cockrell double play to bail him out.

I came up with one out in the 7th, now facing Luis Aponte. I took another walk. I was immediately thrown out trying to steal.

Jeff Robinson took the mound after that.

Chili lead off the 8th with a solo homer.

Giants lead 7-6.

I came up with one out in the 9th. Grich stood on 1st and Tom Niedenfuer stood on the mound. I flew out to Maldonado in left. After Bobby made it to 2nd on a Chris Brown single, Nestor brought in Brian Giles as a pinch runner. It paid off as he scored on a Chili single.

Giants lead 8-6.

Dennis Eckersley came in to close things out and three batters later he had down exactly that.

I went 0 for 2 with two walks, a hit-by-pitch, and a caught stealing.

I am off to a terrible start.

We, however, are in a three way tie for first in the NL West, with the Reds and Dodgers.

After Alan Cockrell had a decent day, he was sent right back down with Scott Bradley coming back up.

What is going on?

Apparently John Rabb will now be our first baseman.

Last edited by rpriske; 04-25-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #428
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 11th, 1987

Today the Giants are pitching Bruce Ruffin (1-0, 0.00) against the Dodgers and Orel Hershiser (0-1, 3.86).

I have gone 4 for 27 vs Orel.

I led off the game by grounding out to Steve Sax at 2nd.

The Dodgers struck in the 1st, with Dave Winfield doubling home Candy Maldonado.

Dodgers lead 1-0

I came up with one out in the 3rd and grounded out to Darrell Evans at 1st.

I made my first defensive play that inning, taking a Dave Anderson grounder for the 1st out.

I next got the 3rd out in the 4th, off a Mookie Wilson grounder.

In the 5th we got the lead when John Rabb launched one deep to left centre for a two-run homer. I came up with one out and Bobby Grich on 2nd. I struck out.

Giants lead 2-1

I got the 1st out in the bottom half, grabbing a liner off the bat of Hershiser.

In the 6th Chili Davis scored on a Scott Bradley single.

Giants lead 3-1

I got the 2nd out in the bottom frame, taking a Winfield grounder. (It is a good thing my defence is going well, because I can't hit worth a damn.)

In the 7th I once again came up with one out and Bobby on 2nd. This time, however, they chose to intentionally walk me.
What? Why? I am hitting .095!
We are unable to make them pay for it.

Bruce got it some trouble in the 8th. He let the Dodger sold them up with none out. Then Bradley let one get by for a passed ball, scoring Anderson. I managed to keep Sax from advancing home on a Winfield grounder for the 1st out. I then did the same to Tim Wallach. Then Scott allowed another passed ball and the game was tied.

I appreciate that Bob Brenly can't play every game, but it really cost us here.

Game is tied 3-3

Luckily we got it right back. John Rabb led off the 9th with a double and then Bobby singled him home. I came up with Grich on 1st and one out. Larry Andersen was pitching. I struck out.

Giants lead 4-3

Dennis Eckersley came in to close it out and three batters later he had done just that.

We are still tied with the Reds for 1st in the NL West.

And I am still hitting like a bush leaguer.

The revolving door continued. Scott Bradley and Dave Miller are heading back to Phoenix. Willie Fraser and Alan Cockrell are back.

Last edited by rpriske; 04-28-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:23 AM   #429
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 12th, 1987

Today the Giants are pitching Eric Show against Bob Welch and the Dodgers.

I have gone 2 for 10 against Welch.

I kicked off the game by flying out to Mookie Wilson in centre.

I got the 1st out in the bottom half, taking a Steve Sax grounder.

Darrell Evans opened the scoring by leading off the bottom of the 2nd with a homer. I handled a Franklin Stubbs grounder for the 2nd out.

Dodgers lead 1-0

I came up with one out in the 3rd and grounded out right back to Welch.

L.A. struck again in the 4th when Dave Winfield doubled home Tim Wallach.

Dodgers lead 2-0

I came up in the 5th with two out and Eric on 1st. I got an all too rare single, moving Show to 3rd. We were left.

Things got much worse in the 6th when Stubbs smashed a three-run homer. That chased Eric and Nestor went to Frank Williams.

Dodgers lead 5-0

I came up with two out in the 7th and poked one into right for a single. I was left.

Mark Davis took over mound duties.
After getting one out, Nestor switched to Mark Clear.
Mark walked the first two in the 9th and Nestor came out again, this time going to Jeff Robinson.
Winfield singled to load them up. Jeff got the next two out but then walked Dave Anderson, scoring Wallach.

Dodgers lead 6-0

I came up in the 9th with two out and Alan Cockrell on 3rd. Ricky Horton was pitching. I hit one off the wall in centre for an RBI triple!

We lost 6-1

I had a pretty good day, though, going 3 for 5 with a triple and an RBI!

Cockrell was right back down after the game with Scott Bradley coming back.
Tomorrow we are heading to San Diego.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #430
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 13th, 1987

The Giants are pitching Doyle Alexander (0-1, 5.13) vs the Padres and Eric King (1-0, 1.80).

I am 1 for 5 vs Eric.

I led off the game by flying out to John Kruk in deep centre.

I next led off the 3rd by striking out.

I came up in the 6th with one out and John Rabb on 2nd. King unloaded a wild pitch, allowing John to go to 3rd. I snuck one through the left side for our first hit of the game, and an RBI to boot! With two out I took 2nd on an errant pick-off attempt by King. I scored on a Chili Davis single.

Giants lead 2-0

I made my first defensive play in the 6th, and it was a good one! I took a Kruk grounder for the 1st out on a tough play.

I took a Darrell Miller grounder for the 2nd out in the 7th.

I led off the 9th, now facing Alejandro Pena, with a strike out.

We got an insurance run in the 9th when Rob Deer scored on a Rabb single.

Giants lead 3-0

I got the 2nd out in the bottom of the 9th off a Carmelo Martinez grounder.

Doyle ended up with the complete game shut out!

I went 1 for 4 with a single, RBI, and run scored... plus a great play on defense. Good day.

We are tied with the Reds for 1st in our division.

Last edited by rpriske; 05-04-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #431
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 14th, 1987

Another day in San Diego and the Giants are pitching Terry Mulholland (0-0, 12.27) against the Padres' Ed Wojna, making his season debut.

I have goen 1 for 4 vs Wojna.

I kick-off the game by grounding out to Ozzie Guillen at short.

In the bottom half I got their lead-off hitter, Tony Gwynn, with a 6-3.

We opened the scoring in the 2nd when Steve Stanicek scored on a John Rabb single.

Giants lead 1-0

I got the first our in the home half of a Frank White grounder.

I came up with one out in the 3rd and put one over John Kruk's head in centre for a double. I was left there.

I got the 2nd out in the bottom half off a Kruk grounder, but Gwynn scored on the play to tie it up. Kevin McReynolds followed that with a homer.

Padres lead 2-1

In the 4th Gwynn singled home both White and Guillen.

Padres lead 4-1

Frank Williams took over on the mound for us in the 5th.

I led off the 6th by grounding out to Guillen again.

After Frank walked the leadoff batter that inning, Nestor went to Mark Davis. Mark was unable to strand the runner as Darrell Miller ended up scoring on a Gwynn single. I go the last out off a Randy Ready grounder.

Padres lead 5-1

In the 7th we got a couple back. First Rob Deer scored on a Bobby Grich single.I came up with two out and Rabb on 3rd and Bobby on 1st. I singled, scoring John!

Padres lead 5-3

Mark Clear relieved for us.

I got the 1st out in the 8th, taking a Miller grounder. I then did the same to Guillen for the 2nd.

We were unable to get a base runner in the 9th and it was all over.

We lost but I had a good day, going 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI.

After the game we found out that Mike Aldrete was being activated from the D.L. Alan Cockrell and Tom O'Malley were also being brought back from Phoenix.
Scott Bradley and Eddie Milner were heading down, while Bobby Miscik was being designated for assignment.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #432
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 15th, 1987

Today the Giants are pitching Willie Fraser (0-0, 0.00), in his season debut.

The Padres are using Bob Patterson (1-0, 3.38).

I have gone 0 for 2 vs Patterson.

I led off the game by making that 1 for 3 as I singled to left. Stolen base #6. Stolen base #7. I then scored on a Mike Aldrete sac fly.

Giants lead 1-0

In the bottom half the Pads loaded the bases but I handled an Ozzie Guillen grounder to stop them from scoring.

I came up with two out in the 3rd and grounded out to Glenn Hubbard at 2nd.

In the bottom half I took a Kevin McReynolds grounder for the 3rd out.

In the 4th both Aldrete and and Chili Davis scored on a Bob Brenly single.

Giants lead 3-0

In the bottom half we ended the inning with a nice Priske - Giles - Aldrete double play to get Hubbard and Carmelo Martinez.

I came up with one out in the 5th and got my 2nd hit, a single through the right side. Stolen base #8 (despite running on a pitch out). I advanced to 3rd on an Aldrete fly. I scored on a Chili RBI single. Chili later scored on a Rob Deer single.

Giants lead 5-0

I came up in the 6th with one out, Brian Giles on 2nd and Willie on 1st. Tim Belcher was pitching. I worked a walk to load them up. Mike also walked, forcing in a run. Chili doubled and we all scored. Chili scored on a Steve Stanicek ground ball.

Giants lead 10-0

I came up in the 7th with two out, pinch hitter Tom O'Malley was on 3rd and Giles was on 2nd. Gregory Sillivent was pitching. I struck out.

In the bottom half we got our second Priske - Giles - Aldrete double play to get Tony Gwynn and Randy Ready.

In the 8th Steve Stanicek launched a solo homer.

Giants lead 11-0

In the 9th Willie added to the fun by pushing O'Malley across with an RBI single. I came up with two out and WIllie on 1st. Mark Williamson was pitching. I grounded out to Torey Lovullo at 1st.

Willie got through the 9th and his first appearance of the season was a complete game shut out!

I went 2 for 5 with a walk, 3 runs scored, and 3 stolen bases!

Tomorrow is an off day as we head home to face the Braves.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #433
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 17th, 1987

At home to face the Braves and Joe Johnson (0-1, 11.74).
The Giants are pitching Bruce Ruffin (2-0, 1.80).

I am 4 for 13 vs Johnson.

I got the 2nd out of the game, catching a Gerald Perry pop.

I led off our half by grounding out to Gary Sheffield at short.

In the 3rd I was keystone on a Grich - Priske - Aldrete double play to get Brad Komminsk and Bruce Benedict.

I led off the bottom of the inning by grounding to Jeff Blauser... but he booted it and I was safe on the error! Stolen base #9. I scored on a Mike Aldrete double.

Giants lead 1-0

I came up in the 4th with two out, Bob Brenly on 3rd, and Bobby Grich on 2nd. Johnson hit me with his first pitch! Aldrete then doubled and we all scored! Chili Davis followed with a two run homer!

Giants lead 6-0

The Braves bounced back in the 5th when Komminsk smashed a three run homer. I grabbed a Benedict grounder for the 2nd out.

Giants lead 6-3

I led off the bottom of the 6th, now facing Brian Fisher. I struck out.

I got the 1st out in the 7th off a Ron Cey grounder.

I came up with two out in the 8th, with Rick Camp pitching. I walked. I tried to steal but was gunned down on a pitch out.

With one out and two on in the 9th, Nestor went to Dennis Eckersley. Two batters and two strikeouts later, it was over.

I went 0 for 3, but scored twice and stole a base.

We now have sole possession of 1st in the West.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #434
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 18th, 1987

Today the Braves are pitching Len Damian (1-0, 0.00)

The Giants are answering with Eric Show (1-1, 5.40)

I am 0 for 3 vs Damian.

I led off the home half by grounding out to Ron Cey at 3rd.

The Braves opened the scoring in the 3rd when Milt Thompson doubled home Damian - who was on by an error by Chris Brown.

Braves lead 1-0

I came up in the bottom half, with two out and Brown on 2nd. I singled through the left side and Chris scored! League leading 10th stolen base. Mike Aldrete singled and I scored.

Giants lead 2-1

In the 4th Nelson Santovenia smashed a three run homer.

Braves lead 4-2

Steve Stanicek led off our half with a solo shot.

Braves lead 4-3

In the 5th I came up with one out and Bobby Grich on 3rd. I grounded out to Gary Sheffield at short, but he threw it away and I ended up on 2nd, with Bobby scoring. (Aside - the official scorer didn't give me an RBI, though Bobby definitely would have scored anyway. Oh well.)
I stole 3rd for #11 and Santovenia threw it up the lien so I scored on his error.

Giants lead 5-4

I made my first defensive play in the 6th, grabbing a Jeff Blauser grounder for the final out.

The Braves tied it back up in the 7th when John Castino tripled, scoring Santovenia with one out.
Jeff Robinson took over for us after that. He gave up an immediate single to Thompson, scoring Castino.

Braves lead 6-5

In the bottom half I came up with one out, pinch runner Brian Giles on 2nd, and pinch hitter Tom O'Malley on 1st. Ed Vande Berg was pitching. I put one into left centre to tie the game with an RBI single! Nestor brought John Rabb in to run for Tom and it paid off as Aldrete singled and Rabb scored! Then Chili Davis singled and I scored! Stanicek followed with a HUGE three-run homer! Not to be outdone, Rob Deer made it back-to-back jacks!

Giants lead 12-6!

Brian stayed in at 3rd and John stayed in at 2nd. Frank Williams came in to pitch.
Sheffield took his first pitch out of the park.

Giants lead 12-7

I came up in the 8th with one out and Steve Farr on the mound. I struck out.

The Braves got a couple of base runners in the 9th but Frankie shut them down and we had the win.

Sweet day for me. 2 for 5 with 3 runs scored, 2 RBI (should have been 3), 2 stolen bases. By batting average is up to .250.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #435
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 19th, 1987

Today the Braves are pitching Tom Glavine (1-0, 3.86).

The Giants are going with Doyle Alexander (1-1, 2.25).

I have gone 3 for 18 vs Glavine.

I led off out half of the 1st by legging out an infield single! Stolen base #12. I was left there.

I got the 2nd out in the 2nd, taking a Ron Cey grounder.

In the home half we opened the scoring when Bobby Grich launched a homer after Chris Brown walked.

Giants lead 2-0

The lead was short lived as Gerald Perry matched the feat in the top of the 3rd.

Game tied 2-2

I led off the bottom half by grounding out to Gary Sheffield at short.

I got the last out in the top of the 4th off a Glavine grounder.

I took an Andres Galarraga grounder for the1st out in the 5th.

I came up with two out in the 5th and I grounded out to Sheffield again.

We got the lead back in the 6th when Mike Aldrete crossed on a Bob Brenly sac fly.

Giants lead 3-2

I got the 1st out in the 7th off another Galarraga grounder.

I came up with two out in the bottom frame and grounded out to Sheffield for the 3rd straight time.

Dennis Eckersley took over pitching for us in the 8th. He struck out the side in the 8th and allowed only one hit in the 9th to seal the deal.

I went 1 for 4 with a single and a stolen base.

The team made a change after the game, sending Willie Fraser down to Phoenix and calling up Bryan Hickerson.

I have to admit, I am confused. Willie pitched really well in his only start this year. What is so special about Hickerson?

Old 05-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #436
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 20th, 1987

We got from one of the weakest teams in the league to one of the strongest. The Dodgers are in town.

They are pitching Joe Niekro (0-1, 4.63).

The Giants are using Terry Mulholland (0-1,8.22).

Terry really needs to bounce back from a tough start to the season.

The Dodgers struck early as Dave Winfield pushed Steve Sax across with a double in the 1st.

Dodgers lead 1-0

I led off our half by popping up to Candy Maldonado in left.

I made the 2nd out in the 2nd by snagging a Mookie Wilson liner.

I then got the 2nd out in the 3rd off a Sax grounder.

I came up in the 3rd with two out and Bobby Grich on 1st. I lined out to Maldonado.

I started a nice Priske - Grich - Aldrete double play to get Darrell Evans and Benito Santiago to end the top of the 4th.

Chris Brown tied it up with a solo shot to left to lead off our half of the 5th.
I came up with two out and grounded out to Dave Anderson at short.

Game tied 1-1

I got the last out in the top of the 6th of an Evans grounder.

I then got the 2nd out in the 7th off a Mookie grounder and then the 3rd out of one by Niekro.

Rob Deer led off the bottom of the 7th with another boomer to give us the edge. I grounded out to end the inning.

Giants lead 2-1

Unfortunately, when Dave Winfield hit one out in the 8th, there was a man on.

Dodgers lead 3-2

And that is where it stayed.

I went 0 for 4 in a losing effort.

With that we slipped behind the Reds in the standings.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #437
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 21st, 1987

Today the Dodgers are pitching Orel Hershiser (0-2, 4.29).

The Giants have the debut of Bryan Hickerson.

I have gone 4 for 30 vs Orel.

I got the last out in the top of the 1st off a Candy Maldonado pop.

I led off the bottom half by flying out to Mookie Wilson in centre.
The guy came through as Mike Aldrete score on a Steve Stanicek double and then Steve scored on a Rob Deer single.

Giants lead 2-0

L.A. scored in the 2nd with Benito Santiago crossing on a single by Hershiser. I handled a Steve Sax grounder for the 3rd out.

Giants lead 2-1

I came up with two out in the 2nd. Alan Cockrell was on 2nd. I grounded out to Dave Anderson at short.

The top of the 3rd ended like the top of the 1st did - with me catching a Maldonado pop.

The Dodgers tied it up in the 4th when Darrell Evan scored on another Hershiser single. He is doing it all himself!
I caught an Anderson liner to end it.

Game tied 2-2

I came up with one out in the 5th and I grounded out to Tim Wallach at 3rd.

In the 7th Wallach walloped a two run homer.
I ended the inning taking a Maldonado grounder.

Dodgers lead 4-2

I came up in the 7th with two out, Bobby Grich on 2nd, and Alan Cockrell on 1st. I walked to load them up. They lifted Hershiser and his replacement, Ricky Horton, unloaded a wild pitch that moved all of us up, scoring Bobby. Aldrete then doubled, scoring Alan and I.

Giants lead 5-4

Dennis Eckersly came in to pitch for us to open the 8th.
He gave up three consecutive singles, including a game tying RBI by Mookie.

Game tied 5-5

In the bottom half Steve and Rob scored on a Chris Brown single. Then Chris scored on a double by Alan.
I struck out.

Giants lead 8-5

Eck allowed two base runners to lead off the 9th (a single and his own error), and Nestor pulled him for Scott Garrelts. A strike out and a Priske - Grich - Aldrete double play and we had sealed the win.

I went 0 for 4 with a walk and a run scored.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #438
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 22nd, 1987

Today the Dodgers are throwing Bob Welch (2-1, 2.45).

The Giants have Bruce Ruffin (3-0, 2.31).

I have gone 4 for 14 vs Welch.

L.A. struck in the top of the 1st when Steve Sax crossed on a Candy Maldonado single.

Dodgers lead 1-0

I opened our half by putting one through the left side for a single. Stolen base #13. I tried to go to 3rd on a Mike Aldrete fly ball but Maldonado gunned me down.

I got the 1st out in the 3rd off a Tim Wallach grounder.

I came up in the bottom half with two out and Ruffin on 1st. I flew out to Maldonado in left.

In the 4th we evened things up when Chili Davis scored on a Rob Deer sac fly.

Game tied 1-1

In the 6th I started a Priske - Grich - Aldrete double play to get Wallach and Dave Winfield. I then made a nice play and a Darrell Evans screaming grounder for the final out.

I went from that to leading off the bottom half with a single up the middle. I went to 3rd on an Aldrete single and then scored on a Chili infield single.

Giants lead 2-1

I came up in the 7th with two out and Bobby Grich on 2nd. I dropped one into centre for an RBI single! I ran into pitch out to end the inning.

Giants lead 3-1

In the 8th we got Wallach and Winfield again with a Priske - Grich - Aldrete double play.

In the bottom half Chili scored on a Chris Brown single.

Giants lead 4-1

With one out in the 9th Scott Garrelts took over. He got one out but allowed two base runners so Nestor went to Dennis Eckersley. He got the final out for the save.

Great game for Bruce and a pretty nice game for me! I went 3 for 4 with an RBI, a run scored, and a stolen base. I am back to .250

We are back ahead of the Reds.

Tomorrow is a travel day as we are heading to Atlanta.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #439
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 24th, 1987

We are in Atlanta - my least favourite place to play in the league.

It could be worse. I could be on their team.

The Braves are pitching Tom Glavine (1-1, 3.68).

The Giants are going with Doyle Alexander (2-1, 2.35).

I have gone 4 for 22 with a home run against Glavine.

I kicked off the game by working a walk. Then Mike Aldrete walked. Mike was thrown out on a Chili Davis fielder's choice where I went to 3rd. Then Steve Stanicek walked.
Glavine is having some control issues.
Believe it or not, we did not score.

And the Braves did. Still with none out, Milt Thompson scored on a passed ball by Bob Brenly.
I got the 2nd out off a Gary Sheffield grounder.

Braves lead 1-0

I led off the 3rd by hitting the first pitch into left for a single. I moved to 3rd when Mike followed with a double.
Once again, we could not score.

In the bottom half Gerald Perry scored from 2nd on a Sheffield single.

Braves lead 2-0

I came up in the 4th with two out, Bobby Grich on 2nd, and Doyle on 1st. I singled through the right side and Bobby scored!

Braves lead 2-1

Bad news in the bottom half. After giving up two singles, Doyle had to leave the game. He did something to his foot and was limping pretty heavily. I hope it isn't too bad.
Frank Williams took over.
With two men in scoring position I caught a Thompson floater to end the inning.

In the 5th Stanicek scored on a Chris Brown single to tie it up!

Game tied 2-2

I came up in the 6th with none out and Frankie on 1st. I flew out to Perry in left.

Rob Deer led off the 7th with a home run to give us the lead! Then Bob scored on a triple by pinch hitter Tom O'Malley! Then I smashed a single to score Tommy for my 2nd RBI of the game! I steal 2nd but am left there.

Giants lead 5-2

Jeff Robinson relieves for us.
Nelson Santovenia greets him with a homer.

Giants lead 5-3

In the 8th Jeff walks Ken Griffey Jr. with one out and Nestor decides to go to Dennis Eckersley. With two out he gives up a triple to Ron Cey, scoring Junior. I throw out Santovenia on a grounder to end it.

Giants lead 5-4

Bobby Grich leads off the 9th with a solo shot! I came up with one out and Steve Bedrosian pitching. I struck out.

Giants lead 6-4

Eck got his three and we had the win.

I was named Player of the Game! I went 3 for 5 with a walk, two RBI, and a stolen base.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #440
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 25th, 1987

I am feeling really good after yesterday.
Let's keep it going today!

Today the Giants have Eric Show (1-1, 6.00) facing the Braves and Norm Charlton (0-1, 6.75).

Charlton is a rookie and it is our first time seeing him.

I led off the game by grounding out to Jeff Blauser at 2nd.

In the bottom half we saved a run with a nice Grich - Priske - Aldrete double play to get Andres Galarraga and Gary Sheffield.

I came up with one out in the 3rd and flew out to Gerald Perry in left.

In the home half I got the 3rd out off a Perry grounder. Turn about and all that.

In the 5th I started a Priske - Grich - Aldrete double play to get Ron Cey and Nelson Santovenia out.

I led off the 6th by wearing Charlton's first pitch fastball. Nasty!
I not only stole base #15 but Santovenia threw it away and I made it to 3rd with none out. I scored on a one out double by Chili Davis. Chili then scored on the same by Steve Stanicek.

Giants lead 2-0

The lead was short lived as Galarraga smashed a two run homer to tie it up.

Game tied 2-2

I came up again with two out in the 7th and struck out.

I made the last out in the inning off a Santoivenia grounder.

The Braves took the lead in the 8th when pinch hitter Ron Gant crossed on a Galarraga double.

Braves lead 3-2

And we never got it back. Disappointing.

We now trail the Reds by a game.

After the game we found out that Willie Fraser was back and Terry Mulholland was sent down.