Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Schedules
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods - Schedules Create your very own game schedules, or share historical schedules

Old 07-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Suggest a schedule scheme?

I've been dissatisfied with OOTP schedules and am about to go fishing for a good one, or figure out how to make them myself (since I always seem to end up with this problem).

Anyway, I have an odd setup and can't settle on the math to come up with a logical number of games. I'm trying to simulate/play a world as a basis for writing some fiction, and to get what I want out of OOTP 17 I'll end up with a US league with 80 teams, in two subleagues with 5 leagues of 8 teams each in them.

The random generator seems to give me home-and-home with division rivals, one series each against other teams in the league, and a handful of non-division teams also playing home-and-home. I think I had set a 154 game season. (no interleague games)

Anyway, I'd like to end up with a season of 150-160 games, with unbalanced play (i.e. more games in division than out). I'd also like to generally keep 3 game series. At the moment I'm thinking of two series each home and home against division rivals, which would be 84 games. That would leave 70 or so games to split up among other teams in the league. 3 games against the other 32 teams would make 96 games, not terrible but I'm not crazy about it. I'm thinking home-and-home against a few teams in each other division. Home and home against 3 teams from each division would make 72 games for a 156 game season, and leave the majority of games with division rivals, as I prefer.

Does that make sense, or am I making some basic and terrible scheduling mistake? I realize this is a very fiddly setup and will require some severe wrestling to come up with a good schedule that does these things. Thanks for reading.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #2
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Actually this fits nicely in the following format.

14g each div opp = 98games 2home series each team 3/4
2g each ND opp = 64games 1home series 16 teams/ 1 away series 16 teams

Total 162 games

fits nicely into a 175 or 182 day MLB style schedule as follows:

10 weeks div only games 3/4 (7 games) = 70g
4 weeks div (3 games) + 2 nd (4 games) = 28g
4 weeks div (4 games) + 1 nd (2 games) =24g
6 weeks nd (6 games) =36g
1 week ASG (M-W) 4 games nd (T-Sun) = 4g

70+28+24+36+4 = 162 25 weeks
98 div games 64 nd games

You would have 14 weeks of full week (7game) and 11 weeks of 6 games with one off day or a full week off for the ASG with the last series of the season have 4 total games. I personally would have divisional games to start and end the season and place the 4 game week with the ASG to have a full week schedule with 2 off days M/W with the ASG at game 100 of the season like the traditional OOTP schedule. Season would start on the first monday on or after 4-1 and would end the end of September spanning 175 days. 1 week shorter than a typical MLB season. You would also have 18 of the 25 weeks having divisional games (72%)

You could also have a full week off for ASG and the season would go a little over 25 1/2 weeks or play the last week TW FS and finish with a full MLB length season.

If you go only with 3 games series you extend the season past the 26 week mark because of the number of off days increases. If only 3 game series then this amounts to 27 1/2 weeks and you would have to settle for a 66 div/96 schedule with each div team playing 9 games against 6 teams 3/6 or 6/3 and 1 team playing 12 games 6/6 (needed for 162 g schedule, otherwise season would be 159 games), 3 games each ND team for 3/0 or 0/3.

I personally like the idea of having 50% or more of the league games played in division - you need to win the division to win instead of playing the best out side of your div.

Last edited by SandMan; 07-02-2016 at 01:06 AM.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Fabulous, thanks very much. Now I have to learn to edit schedules
Old 07-04-2016, 02:45 AM   #4
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

It is a good thing to learn how to do schedules, but if you really get frustrated and feel that you can not do this I can make this. Just let me know. I don't do schedules often, its been years, but I have doing them for years and am willing to help.

Turn around time for me is about a week. I no longer have my excel files that had the building blocks of schedule building and I do it by hand. This takes a little time.

Just let me know. Time is not an issue with me, I am disabled and am home and have nothing but time to do projects like this.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Wow, I really, really appreciate that. The schedule you outline would be fantastic, and any time you could do it would be fine. I have to re-start my simulation anyway, and am starting at the beginning and gradually growing the US league until 1990 when it will get to full capacity. I don't really care what the schedules are in the meantime

I've also been thinking that for my purposes, I'd be better off with a single subleague with 10 8-team divisions. The autogen schedules have not come out usefully at all, so I've been considering:

7 league opponents x 14 games each (3/4 home and home)= 98 games
3 game series x 18 (one three game series against 2 teams per each of the 9 other divisions)= 54 games = 152 total games

Then (I think OOTP would automatically rotate teams each season) each season a given team would play a different two teams from each of the other 9 divisions. This would be a reasonable approximation of what I'm trying to do creating my fictional world (which would also feature various national and international exhibition tournaments before and during the season, sort of like international soccer). And having just one megaleague would allow me to pretend it's an association too for sim purposes.

In a perfect world, I'd associate the 10 leagues in a "national association" and then make them a part of an international association too. I figured out today that I'll get closer to what I want with a single US "subleague" that I can then associate with other international "subleagues" to have a world championship tournament.

But if that scheme doesn't make sense for some reason, I'd be ecstatic with the original scheme too, and live with two subleagues. Thank you so much! If I ever manage to finish stories and/or a book you will be acknowledged most heartily!

Last edited by BBGiovanni; 07-04-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGiovanni View Post
Wow, I really, really appreciate that. The schedule you outline would be fantastic, and any time you could do it would be fine. I have to re-start my simulation anyway, and am starting at the beginning and gradually growing the US league until 1990 when it will get to full capacity. I don't really care what the schedules are in the meantime

I've also been thinking that for my purposes, I'd be better off with a single subleague with 10 8-team divisions. The autogen schedules have not come out usefully at all, so I've been considering:

7 league opponents x 14 games each (3/4 home and home)= 98 games
3 game series x 18 (one three game series against 2 teams per each of the 9 other divisions)= 54 games = 152 total games

Then (I think OOTP would automatically rotate teams each season) each season a given team would play a different two teams from each of the other 9 divisions. This would be a reasonable approximation of what I'm trying to do creating my fictional world (which would also feature various national and international exhibition tournaments before and during the season, sort of like international soccer). And having just one megaleague would allow me to pretend it's an association too for sim purposes.

In a perfect world, I'd associate the 10 leagues in a "national association" and then make them a part of an international association too. I figured out today that I'll get closer to what I want with a single US "subleague" that I can then associate with other international "subleagues" to have a world championship tournament.

But if that scheme doesn't make sense for some reason, I'd be ecstatic with the original scheme too, and live with two subleagues. Thank you so much! If I ever manage to finish stories and/or a book you will be acknowledged most heartily!

Okay 80 teams 1 subleague with 10 8 team divisions 14 games for 98 games in division and 54 games non division (2 opp per division)

Total 152 games.

I will start on this tomorrow evening. Will probably have it done before next Monday.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Just to let you know I am on schedule to complete this project by tomorrow. I am at the stage where I am verifying the schedule and creating the OOTP schedule file.

I will keep you posted if I am unable to complete this on time as expected and promised.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Thanks so much! Don't worry about uppdates, I promise to be patient!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #9
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

80 Team Schedule

If you find any errors please let me know. I did check each team but with 80 teams I may have missed something.

# 80 team schedule, 152 games
# Designed for the following configuration:
# 1 subleague with 10 divisions each with 8 teams.
#
# 14 games against 7 other teams in division (7H/7A)
# 3 games against 2 teams from each other division (3H or 3A)
#
# Each team plays 98 division games (49H/49A)
# Each team will play 54 non-division games (27H/27A)
#
# All game times set at 7:05pm
#
# Season begins first Monday on or after April 1st
# Season thus ends mid September
#
# No All-Star game
#

Last edited by SandMan; 08-31-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Thank you so much! I'll fire up a test season later on today and give it a go...
Old 07-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

At first I got an error message because I had the default schedule set for balanced schedule, so I fixed that.

Now I get "Could Not Load Schedule. The loaded schedule has a different structure as the current league." I double checked to make sure I have 1 subleague and 10 divisions with 8 teams each.

Sorry if I'm making some obvious mistake! I'm trying this with OOTP17 if that makes any difference.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #12
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
At first I got an error message because I had the default schedule set for balanced schedule, so I fixed that.

Now I get "Could Not Load Schedule. The loaded schedule has a different structure as the current league." I double checked to make sure I have 1 subleague and 10 divisions with 8 teams each.

Sorry if I'm making some obvious mistake! I'm trying this with OOTP17 if that makes any difference.
Try this

Last edited by SandMan; 07-15-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #13
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Downloading now, sorry I didn't see this yesterday when you posted it...
Old 07-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #14
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Hooray! Thanks so much! I didn't change any settings and it worked this time, maybe changing the name forced the game to reload.

I'll sim a couple of seasons to make sure the schedules rotate around (which probably has nothing to do with your schedule). It seems perfect, I like the very logical scheduling with the non-division opponents coming in pairs. I loaded up the NY team and saw a home and home with San Antonio and Dallas (Lone Star League), Charlotte and Richmond (Atlantic Coast) and so on.

Thanks again!!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #15
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hooray! Thanks so much! I didn't change any settings and it worked this time, maybe changing the name forced the game to reload.

I'll sim a couple of seasons to make sure the schedules rotate around (which probably has nothing to do with your schedule). It seems perfect, I like the very logical scheduling with the non-division opponents coming in pairs. I loaded up the NY team and saw a home and home with San Antonio and Dallas (Lone Star League), Charlotte and Richmond (Atlantic Coast) and so on.

Thanks again!!
Glad you like this schedule. I don't know what the error was but I am glad it is working. Just to let you know, this schedule is kind of special to me. There are no divisions that share the same schedule. I made sure that each was unique including the non-division games. With so many divisions, I did not want a schedule where if team one in the first division played team two, then all the other divisions played one versus two. It takes away from the game when you see the repetition. Enjoy....
Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #16
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

OK, I got into a 3rd season and saw the non-division opponents rotating! I wasn't sure at first, but I guess the randomization wasn't too random the second time through.

I didn't really understand your message the first time I read it, but now I get it. I am used to football-style schedules where team 1 plays team 2 in every division at the same time, so it wouldn't have bothered me. But it is a lot more interesting for sustained play, and must have taken a lot of extra effort. Thanks again, I don't know if anyone else will come up with an 80 team league concept but it's all taken care of now!!
Old 08-27-2016, 02:34 AM   #17
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Check this out and let me know if this may be useful for your 80 team league and if you would like me to create one for the other schedule you requested.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #18
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

64 team schedule as requested...

Had this done for a few days and had an error that I could not find. Finally found it and the schedule has been verified to run correctly. This is only one version, so if you can load this once and then OOTP will rotate the teams, but there is no guarantee that teams will play all teams.

#
# 64 team schedule, 152 games
# Designed for the following configuration:
# 1 subleague with 8 divisions, each with 8 teams
#
#
# 15-16 games against 7 other teams in division (7-8H/7-8A)
# 6 games against 7 other teams in league (3H/3A)
#
# Interdivision games are one home series and one road series
# against one team in each other division
#
#
# No cases of more than 20 straight days without offday
#
# No homestands or roadtrips longer than 18 games
#
# All game times set at 7:05pm
#
# Season begins first Monday on or after April 1st
# Season thus ends mid September
#
#
# Posted 2016/08/29

Last edited by SandMan; 09-07-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #19
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Thanks so much!

Your attention to detail is outstanding, it's great that not only do these schedules actually match the intended number of games but the off days fall right, etc etc. I have always used the default generated schedules in OOTP but I am going to get spoiled with these

I'll be back to confirm once I try these out tomorrow or over the weekend!
Old 09-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #20
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
.I have always used the default generated schedules in OOTP but I am going to get spoiled with these : )
I like to hear this. I have not used an OOTP generated schedule in a league for over 10 years at least since OOTP 6.0 or OOTP 6.51 maybe earlier.

Last edited by SandMan; 09-05-2016 at 11:01 PM.