Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
Chisox59
Minors (Rookie Ball)

too many rhb in lineup?

One of the teams in my league has 7 RHBs in it's everyday lineup, with it's lone left-handed hitter (Alvin Davis) batting 5th and a switch-hitter who performs better against lefties batting 2nd. They have a backup LF (John Lowenstein) and reserve IF (Jack Brohamer) who bat left but it's an AL team that won't pinch hit a lot so they're playing time would be limited.

Would it be unrealistic to have a lineup like this every day? I saw somewhere (can't find it now unfortunately) a few weeks ago a list of the most RHB heavy lineups of all time, and a few teams from the late- seventies (Brewers and Padres maybe?) had years wherein close to 85% of their total plate appearances were by righties...and a few others teams were over 80%. Even in Lowenstein DH'd 1/4 of the time (which won't happen 'cause their everyday DH Andre Thornton is much more highly rated) this team would have around 80% of PAs throughout the season be by RHBs.

Last edited by Chisox59; 02-19-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Chisox59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
Number4
Major Leagues

I don't think many RHB is a big problem, many LHB would be.

Righties are the baseline, so a pitcher that is good against righties is a good pitcher full stop. The opponent would sit down his loogys, but a good lefty might still get used - and he wouldn't get much of a platoon advantage. Otherwise, it is mostly righty against righty, the most common baseball matchup. Righty batters that are bad against righties don't get a roster spot.

However many lefties would mean that those loogys might have a field day, because there are more lefty batters that suck against lefty pitching, you still could be a decent player while sucking against lefties and hitting the much more numerous righties well - usually you'd get platooned out against lefty starters and pinch-hit for against lefty relievers, but you can't do that to 3 guys in your lineup...

Last edited by Number4; 02-20-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Chisox59
Minors (Rookie Ball)

just found this...

The most left-handed lineups of the half-century ? The Hardball Times

they had a list of the most RHB-heavy lineups of all time too...apparently the expansion Padres of 1969 and 1970 had over 85% of their PAs by RHB, backup third basemen Van Kelly led all LHBs on the team in '69 with just 222 PAs. Other RHB-heavy lineups include the "Killer B" era Astros of the late nineties (only LHB was Bill Spiers). I guess I'll keep the team the way it is, I forgot to add I'm controlling all teams in this league, if it had been an AI-controlled team I wouldn't have cared in the first place.
Chisox59 is offline   Reply With Quote