Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #121
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The thing that kills stats only for me is that it is not realistic.

In real life, GMs have stats and scouts. Sometimes, they say opposite things. Part of the skill is sorting that contrary information and weighing which one is right.

Eliminating one source of information is like playing a PGA event without walking the course or knowing the pin placements. No one would do it.
I'm way late on this discussion, but my two cents anyway...

The middle statement above seems to get to the heart of why some people I've talked to do not like stats only. Basically, you have to act as both the scout AND the GM when you play stats only. Some people love both those roles - if so, I think stats only is for you. If you just want to make baseball business decisions, then it is not for you. If you mostly want to just decide whether to send the runner on a 2-1 pitch, then stats only is not for you. You have to want to be a scout. Some people find that extremely tedious. I can totally understand that.

That said, I love it and play all my solo endeavors stats only and encourage others to give it a try.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #122
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Good points. My take on it is that I have to be GM first, scout second and manager third.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #123
alphington
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
I'm way late on this discussion, but my two cents anyway...

The middle statement above seems to get to the heart of why some people I've talked to do not like stats only. Basically, you have to act as both the scout AND the GM when you play stats only. Some people love both those roles - if so, I think stats only is for you. If you just want to make baseball business decisions, then it is not for you. If you mostly want to just decide whether to send the runner on a 2-1 pitch, then stats only is not for you. You have to want to be a scout. Some people find that extremely tedious. I can totally understand that.

That said, I love it and play all my solo endeavors stats only and encourage others to give it a try.
A big thanks to all here for advice on stats only which I am just about to start - given scouting is on but I've set it to v poor then should I have a scouting budget at all or should I save money and leave the scouting budget empty or minimal? Thanks!
alphington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #124
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

I think this is going to be a more involved answer than requested, but I'll give it anyway.

I tend to avoid finding ways that could give me an unfair advantage in some way. This is akin to essentially setting house rules. I think by cutting your scouting budget to zero (because you know you are playing stats only), you could be potentially giving yourself an advantage over the AI teams because the other AI teams are spending on scouting budget while you have more money to reapportion to other things. Some of the purpose of these budgets is to have realistic expendures in the game other than just salaries. If you subvert this by not using them, then you are working slightly against the intent of the game.

Of course, you could also argue this is just a management style and that would be fine too. I'm not really saying one way is right or wrong, just my opinion. My recommendation would be to just spend the average and leave it at that.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #125
alphington
Minors (Single A)

Many thanks for the reply TribeFan this sounds good to me - I had not thought of this point and agree with you - my head is still spinning slightly from getting the game into SO mode (problems with the draft now fixed etc etc...) so your help comes at a good time - armed with this I think I'm ready to start my SO experience.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #126
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphington View Post
Many thanks for the reply TribeFan this sounds good to me - I had not thought of this point and agree with you - my head is still spinning slightly from getting the game into SO mode (problems with the draft now fixed etc etc...) so your help comes at a good time - armed with this I think I'm ready to start my SO experience.
You may never go back.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #127
alphington
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You may never go back.
Yes I think you could be correct!

I just found the following 1990 quote from Eddie Epstein who was hired by the Orioles as a 'stat-man' (in Schwartz, The Numbers Game p.227) which fits perfectly with the concept and set-up of the stats-only game as outlined by you (and others here of course):

'If you've got a guy who's 23 or 24 [years old] and has been a professional player for 4 or 5 years, I don't care what the scouts think. I can look at the numbers.'

Most or all here may know of this already but it was new to me.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #128
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I didn't come up with the idea of Stats Only and I suspect that I am not the greatest expert on it. I doubt if we'll ever know who those two guys are, though.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #129
kuma78
Major Leagues

I was inspired to give Stats Only a try after reading this thread. All my OOTP life, I've ALWAYS played MLB rosters and gotten bored as players became fictional.

I have spent about a week running test sims and setting up a 16 team fictional league with four levels of minors and HS / College feeders.

Finally, I was ready to go after getting the stats I wanted to see over the long haul of simming.

All I can say is THANK YOU. It used to be that I opened my organization and just simply sorted by Stars. I would base most of my decisions on that.

Last night, I went through my whole organization player by player and evaluated their histories, set it up on a spreadsheet and color coded them by how I rated them from a value standpoint. I've only watched my manager manage two games, but I've enjoyed those two games more than any I've ever played and I've had OOTP since back in V5.

Thanks guys, for all the activity in this forum and for showing me a new way to play.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #130
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma78 View Post
All I can say is THANK YOU.
All I can say is YOU'RE WELCOME. I catch a lot of silly crap for being the Stats Only advocate, but stories like yours make all the crap worthwhile.

Stats Only makes the game what it should always have been. (Yes, that's "only your [my] opinion" - but I firmly believe that it's a true statement.)

Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #131
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Similar to Wolf, I advocate and push stats-only because I want people to enjoy OOTP to the fullest like I have. You can play the way you want, but I'm very confident that if you just tried it with an open mind you'd never go back. I'd bet money on it.

If you want a challenge, you want to do stats only. No matter how you format leagues that use ratings, the fact of the matter is you're eventually going to develop an empire with your franchise that plays .650 baseball every year. To me, that's boring.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 08-21-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #132
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
Similar to Wolf, I advocate and push stats-only because I want people to enjoy OOTP to the fullest like I have. You can play the way you want, but I'm very confident that if you just tried it with an open mind you'd never go back. I'd bet money on it.

If you want a challenge, you want to do stats only. No matter how you format leagues that use ratings, the fact of the matter is you're eventually going to develop an empire with your franchise that plays .650 baseball every year. To me, that's boring.
Exactly.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #133
kuma78
Major Leagues

I set my scouting accuracy to very low and set all ratings to off except ones for speed / fielding, etc.

It has forced me to open player pages, learn about them, etc. I simmed 10 years before I started, so I'm able to look at histories to see where guys were drafted. If you're reading this and haven't tried it, give it a try.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #134
lere2001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is there a full guide somewhere on how to set up a stats only league with feeders (HS and college)?
lere2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #135
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

There's a ton of threads on the subject and there were some attempts at guides back in the 2007-2008 era. Try the search feature. What I recommend is to set up a no-frills league. No logos and turn off face-gen to speed things up. Don't change names...nothing.

Go with a default fictionla MLB set-up. Sim a season. Then add feeders. Sim 10-15 seasons checking at least once or twice a season to see what you are getting. It'll take a 8-10 hours. It's time well spent. You'll have a very solid feel for what does what and then you'll start to tweak.

Once you have what you want then you're ready to implement in a "keeper" league.

So my suggestion is to save the time on initial research. Use that time experimenting. Once you can formulate specific questions then spend time on research. Until then...get to work.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #136
farmkidD2
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Standard usage.

Oxford Dictionaries:

Definition of vanilla in English
vanilla
Syllabification: (va·nil·la)
Pronunciation: /vəˈnilə/
Translate vanilla | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish

adjective
(also plain vanilla) informal
having no special or extra features; ordinary or standard:
choosing plain vanilla technology wherever you can will save you money
the original, vanilla MP3 format is still the most commonly encountered form of the technology
they seem to be quite content in their plain vanilla domestic life
This thread was entertaining and I'm definitely going to give SO a try, but I couldn't help but to point out that according to this definition, Wolf, the way you play is actually vanilla. Taking away an extra feature or having no special features(ie removing ratings) is definitely more vanilla than someone who plays the game with ratings, according to this definition. Not to stir up the hornets nest again, but I thought it was amusing.

Thanks to all who have awakened me to the world of SO. While I prefer chocolate ice cream, vanilla OOTP is the way to go for me.
farmkidD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #137
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

I run a fictional league with over 20 years of history (and these are seasons which I have watched and participated in, rather than quickly simmed).

In my opinion Stats Only leads to greater immersion. There is a 2nd or 3rd year player in our league who is a good infielder with speed, but has always been known as a punch-less hitter. This season he gets off to a crazy start, hitting nearly .400 through the first 6 weeks of the season. Game winning hits galore.

If ratings are turned on, I can easily check if this is just a lucky aberration and if the hitter is still punch-less. But with Stats Only, suddenly there is a buzz created. Is this kid having a breakout year, and becoming a new star? Is is just a small sample size pile of luck dragons? How many game winning hits is this kid going to have before people take notice?

That's my favorite part about Stats Only. It adds mystery and excitement, and even hope. That kid down in AA who is striking out 7.0 per 9 but hasn't gotten any publicity might be a sleeper major league player. Turn on his skills to see his poor profile, and there is no longer a reason to hope. (except hope that your scout's ratings are horrible).
DanP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #138
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP68 View Post
That's my favorite part about Stats Only. It adds mystery and excitement, and even hope. That kid down in AA who is striking out 7.0 per 9 but hasn't gotten any publicity might be a sleeper major league player. Turn on his skills to see his poor profile, and there is no longer a reason to hope. (except hope that your scout's ratings are horrible).
Completely agree. I'm a very recent convert to Stats Only, but I am definitely finding it more immersive. Previously, if my stars weren't living up to their ratings, it just made the game frustrating. Now, it's hard to say what a player is 'living up to' or not. The element of uncertainty makes a surprising amount of difference, to me at least.
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 AM   #139
dward1
All Star Reserve

can someone explain exactly the importance of the AI Evaluation factors if you are playing stats only? it only affects how the AI looks at players so it should have no effect on the human manager if I am correct.

I play 80 game seasons with leagues of widely varying quality so I don't really want the AI judging players based on stats, so I should put the AI Evaluation at something like 50-60% on ratings correct?

also, a related question is if scouting accuracy is set on low, does this mean the AI has poor scouts as well as the human?
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #140
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Playing stats only does not change anything about the game or how the AI operates. Only the amount of information you see. All the ratings are still there and the AI still uses whatever it uses to do it's thing. The ratings are just hidden from you leaving you only player performance and the scouts written reports to go on.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote