Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #221
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony79 View Post
The info IS showing in the players complete history however in the players list of accomplishments only the all star appearances and gold gloves are listed.
Interesting. I first noticed it when I went to the recently retired section BTW. The AS selections had their own column, but not the MVPs/CYs
Mister_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #222
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

New roster update has the owners messed up still and Aaron hill has a $3 extension.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #223
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
New roster update has the owners messed up still and Aaron hill has a $3 extension.
Owners weren't fixed. We're trying to get to it, it's not something we can do easily or quickly.

I messed up entering the data on Hill's extension. Sorry. It's fixed now.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-15-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #224
mikestack
Minors (Triple A)

Mets Farm System Thoughts

Per request, I have some detailed thoughts on the Mets farm system. I think this proves that (a) I have an unhealthy love affair with baseball, (b) my daughter being with my parents for school vacation week left me with a touch of idle time in the past couple days and (c) insomnia combined with OOTP can lead to obsession.

Let me start by pointing out how remarkably impressive this roster set is-- despite having a ton of feedback, I went through the farm system pretty thoroughly and really didn't find a lot wrong. I tried to verify anything I said here, though clearly with prospects, a lot of this is going to be opinion (at the least I looked for other folks sharing my opinion!). I organized my comments by what team OOTP assigns the player to on a fresh start-- I haven't run today's release yet, so I'm still working with the preorder release, and thus might be missing changes that occurred recently.

For top prospects, I reviewed discussions from Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.

International Complex Players

Most my notes from the complex are from my reading of the Baseball America summary for the Mets.

SP Ronald Guedez

I wanted to use this guy more as an example-- obscure international signing and you appear to have nailed it. Here's the scouting report from BA:

"Guedez, who turned 17 in January, has a thin 6-foot-1, 170-pound frame, a loose arm and an easy delivery. He needs to sharpen his control, but he throws 88-92 mph with the potential to have power shape to his curveball once it gets more consistent, and he already shows feel for his changeup".

He's listed as 90-92mph with three pitches (fastball, curveball and changeup) and some obvious control issues.

SP Marcos Moina

BA cites his as 89-92mph, likes his changeup and suggests his curve is more of a slider. Might make sense to move his velocity to 90-92 and swap his curve for a slider. He's widely praised for his Work Ethic, but his rating here isn't great.

SP Adrian Almeida

BA has his velocity lower (84-87mph) than OOTP. Spot on with the curve being his best pitch.

SS Miguel Patino

BA projects him as a true shortstop, fielding ratings would have to come up a bit for that. They also like his baserunning more than OOTP does.

SS Amed Rosario

First, it's unclear if his name is Amed or German (or somehow both).

Baseball America lists him as 6'3", 170lb., slightly different from the listing here. He's rather lowly rated in the game, but again BA suggests a few things that make me think his potential should be a bit more:
- "... good bat speed and raw power in batting practice along with above average speed".
- "Some scouts... seeing him as a true shortstop who with power can hit in games... supporters like his fielding instincts, hands, arm strength... Other scouts see an upright hitter with [tendencies] that lead to strikeouts with his uppercut stroke".
- "Scouts are united in their appreciation of Rosario's makeup"

With this picture, it seems he should have a bump in his power potential and defense. There's also some notion that he'd end up a corner outfielder, so maybe some outfield ratings. Also, it seems Work Ethic (and possibly Intelligence, he comes from an academic family) could be bumped up.

Port St. Lucie Mets:

SP Zachary Dotson

Velocity is quoted as 89-92 in blog interviews, OOTP has him at 86-88. He has a history of shoulder injuries that isn't reflected. He also throws a slider. It's been a long time since he's been an actual prospect, so it's hard to say how good any of his pitches will be.

SP Chris Flexen

Noted as throwing a curve in addition to the pitches he's listed with.

MR Andrew Massie

Quoted as touching 93mph with his fastball, velocity probably needs a bump up.

2B Wuilmer Becerra

A rare point where I think the OOTP rating is way wrong. Becerra was an amateur shortstop, but has been playing corner outfield spots. Keith Law suggests a great swing with future power potential and the arm for right field. His outfield ratings are way off from this and I think both his Avoid K's and power potential could get a boost to reflect potential.

Kingsport Mets:

SP Miller Diaz

Fan blogs have his fastball in mid-90s, OOTP has him 86-88mph.

SP Akeel Morris

ESPN references him at 90-94mph, OOTP has him at 87-89mph. They also say fastball-curveball-changeup, whereas OOTP has a slider instead of the curve.

C Jeyckol De Leon

Lacks catching stats. There's not much about him known, but he seems to be a slightly below average fielding catcher whose caught 29% of basestealers. He also has quite a bit of experience (70 games) at first base.

1B Jonathan Leroux

I can't find any evidence he's ever played the outfield despite OOTP rating him (I had trouble finding minor league fielding info on him). He was a catcher in college, albeit apparently pretty rough on defense, though he's completely unrated now.

2B Richie Rodriguez

Shortstop in college, but lacking fielding ratings in OOTP at short.

Brooklyn Cyclones:

SP Steven Matz

Blogs cite his fastball at "mid-90s", OOTP has him 90-92mph, and project curveball and changeup to league average. No mention of a slider, which OOTP gives him. The velocity from Matz is way harder than he threw in HS, it seems he may be one of those Tommy John stories where pitchers come back throwing harder.

MR Jake Kuebler

I couldn't find much about him as a pitcher, but he played only first and third base in the Royals farm system (the Mets converted him a pitcher). OOTP rates him at all four infield positions. His numbers at the hot corner don't look great, I'd suggest he may be a bit overrated as a fielder as well.

MR Tyler Vanderheiden

Blogs suggest his velocity tops off at 90mph, OOTP has him at 93-95mph. He also seems to be sinker/slider, but OOTP has him as fastball/curveball. He did not allow a home run in 22 innings, and he was very effective as Brooklyn's closer, I'd suggest he's underrated a bit (for his current stats at least) and needs a healthy bump in GB%.

C Kevin Plawecki

Widely regarded for his patient approach at the plate, Eye rating probably deserves a bump up.

1B Alexander Sanchez

Underrated for fielding in OOTP. He was mostly a first baseman but able to playing some third as well. Suggest a bump up in fielding ratings and some experience at 3B.

SS Gavin Cecchini

Baseball America is very high on him, Baseball Prospectus less so. Both think he can stick at short, but OOTP has him rated pretty low on fielding. He's also cited as a smart baserunner by BA. The rest of the ratings look spot on.

Not sure if there's a length limit, so I'm going to split this message up... more in a moment...
mikestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #225
mikestack
Minors (Triple A)

Mets Farm System Thoughts (Part II)

Picking up where I left off...

Savannah Sand Gnats:

SP Matthew Bowman

Projects as a starter, but has a low stamina in OOTP.

SP Michael Fulmer

Had an excellent year in Savannah last year, but current ratings project him back there. IRL, he's starting in High A. A slight bump in current ratings should land him in St. Lucie. Potential looks spot-on, mid rotation if everything breaks right.

SP Rainy Lara

Fastball is a touch too slow, quoted in low 90s touching 93 but 89-90mph in OOTP. Fan sites like his changeup but suggest his third pitch lags way behind.

SP Noah Syndergaard

I've thought very carefully on this feedback, because Syndergaard is the kind of prospect fans love to dream on, so I'll stick with a couple quick points-- he was absolutely dominant in low A ball last year (1.08 WHIP, 10.5 K/9, 4:1 K:BB ratio), but he slots into low A again in OOTP, I think his current ratings need to come up a touch. I think his potential is a hair low too, with OOTP projecting him as a mid rotation type but Baseball America suggesting his ceiling is "frontline starter" and Baseball Prospectus putting his potential at "high-end no. 2 starter" who "could develop into a 15-plus game winner with high strikeout totals".

SP Domingo Tapia

Velocity is a touch low, OOTP has him at 93-95mph, Baseball Prospectus quotes him at 94-97mph, Baseball America says he sits at 95mph. His fastball is noted as having a ton of sink, it might make more sense to project it as a sinker instead and bump up his groundball numbers. It may also be underrated slightly and his slider (already badly rated) may be overrated slightly.

MR Brant Rustich

Rustich retired last year.

C Camden Maron

Noted on blogs as having an excellent eye (rating is probably close to ok) and an awful arm.

LF Stefan Sabol

A fan blog notes that injuries have really derailed Sabol's prospect status, something I recall when he was drafted. It may make sense to bump up his injury ratings to reflect.

CF Brandon Nimmo

Baseball Prospectus suggests 20-ish home run ceiling, but power rating in OOTP seems a touch low for that (but just a touch).

St. Lucie Mets

SP Jacob DeGrom

DeGrom seems to have become a legit prospect on the basis of his sinker, while OOTP has him with only a straight fastball. It may make sense to switch him to a sinker.

1B Robbie Shields

Shields is rated at 1B and SS despite having played mostly SS and 2B with a little bit of 3B in his five seasons in the minors, with no experience at 1B. The fielding ratings look solid as the Mets appear to have given up on him actually sticking at short.

1B Travis Ozga

Ozga has a bit of experience at 3B and the corner outfield positions.

SS Matt W. Reynolds

Some interesting information from blogs, Reynolds was a third baseman in college, but is unrated here. This also asserts he's likely not big league able to play short, but his current ratings would give him pretty good SS ratings.

LF Rylan Sandoval

Sandoval is a middle infielder. He's played a grand total of 5 games in Left Field across 3+ years in the minors.

RF Edward Rohan

Well this one caught me by surprise, I'm a bit fan of versitile players, and here's a guy who looks to be able to play all over the field in the Mets farm system who I'd never heard of. And then I realized why.

Edward Rohan is the Mets 50th round pick from 2011, and he plays none of those positions, but rather is a catcher. Given that he's likely to open in Brooklyn, I think he's also overrated offensively.

RF Charles Thurber

Bizarrely high infielder ratings for someone who appears to have never been an infielder either in college or pro. Corner outfield numbers look a touch low for someone who doesn't appear to be incompetent as an outfielder.

Binghamton Mets

SP Darin Gorski

Throws a curveball not a slider. Everything else looks spot-on.

SP Rafael Montero

Throws a slider not a curveball, per Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America. Velocity is a little higher than the 89-90mph given by OOTP, per both sources looks like 92-93 touching.

SP Tyler Pill

Looks like OOTP has him throwing harder (92-94) than the blogs (88-91).

CL Jack Leathersich

Same thing, OOTP says 93-95, blogs say 91-93.

2B Reese Havens

We already talked about the disaster of injuries he's been, but his current "Durable" status in OOTP.

3B Wilmer Flores

Current ratings seem a bit low, Flores had an excellent split season between High A and AA last year and is in AAA this year. A slight bump in his current ratings can make this happen. His potentials look good.

CF Darrell Cecciliani

Another guy who seems to be injured a lot (as referenced here) but with "Durable" rating in OOTP.

Las Vegas Area 51's

SP Zack Wheeler

I think Wheeler's potentials look pretty good (I think his control will end up a touch better than it is in OOTP, but that's splitting hairs), but I think he's current ratings are wrong. All indications are that Wheeler's stuff is pretty much major league ready, but his control and consistency is lagging behind. Suggest increasing his current pitch ratings (and possibly his movement) and decreasing his control.

MR Robert Carson

Fangraphs has got him right about 95mph on fastball velocity, OOTP a touch lower (92-94).

CL Josh Edgin

I think his pitches are too highly rated. Most people see Edgin as someone who will get major league hitters out with some success, but OOTP has him as a top reliever. I dont' think anyone envisions that.

C Travis d'Arnaud

I think d'Arnaud is closer to MLB ready than OOTP has him. He dominated in AAA before he got hurt last year and looked fantastic this spring. Potential ratings seem good to me (and something for this Mets fan to dream on!).

2B Russ Adams

Adams retired in 2011.

LF Josh Rodriguez

Should be listed a a middle infielder. He has minimal experience in left.

CF Matt den Dekker

Injury listed in OOTP as Plantar fascitis but it's really a broken wrist.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #226
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Great stuff Mike.

I've already made a few adjustments over the weekend that anticipated your suggestions, f.e.

Gave Tapia his sinker and boosted his velocity.

Boosted Montero's velocity.

Boosted Cecchini's fielding but knocked down some of his power.

Boosted Plawecki's eye, though it should maybe be even a little higher.

Gave Reynolds ratings at 2b and 3b.

Boosted Rosario's power.

and some more stuff too.

Great minds think alike, I guess!

I'll have to take a look at the rest, though much of it looks reasonable and some matches stuff I want to do but haven't got around to working on yet.

So I think we're mostly on the same page here!

Only issue is time. Still working on fixing current milb ratings and want to add more draft prospects.

I've already given the Mets minors maybe a little too much love, should catch up with some of the other teams first!

I will respond to this when I get a chance, you may not see some of the changes in game for a little while though.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-15-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #227
willnick
Bat Boy

Need to correct the number of hits for Matt Kemp (2006 Las Vegas AAA) from 7 total to 67
willnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #228
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by willnick View Post
Need to correct the number of hits for Matt Kemp (2006 Las Vegas AAA) from 7 total to 67
Fixed.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #229
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if you guys adjust the injuries after the season starts or not, but there are a couple Cardinal guys who could be adjusted.

David Freese - currently out for 3 weeks in the file, he came back just 1 week into the season (started the home opener).

Jason Motte - out only 2 weeks in the file, at this point he is going to miss at least the first 6 weeks and there is a good chance he is headed for Tommy John.

FTB: andymac
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #230
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac View Post
Not sure if you guys adjust the injuries after the season starts or not, but there are a couple Cardinal guys who could be adjusted.

David Freese - currently out for 3 weeks in the file, he came back just 1 week into the season (started the home opener).

Jason Motte - out only 2 weeks in the file, at this point he is going to miss at least the first 6 weeks and there is a good chance he is headed for Tommy John.
Fixed.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #231
captaincoop17
All Star Reserve

Independent Players?

How do you have your scout find independent players? I thought it would be more like established international free-agents when you receive an email with the independent players joining the league?
captaincoop17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #232
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestack View Post
Picking up where I left off...
Made it through Las Vegas to St. Lucie suggestions.

All implemented except:

DeGrom - Are you sure he has a sinker? I've never heard that and the link doesn't say anything about his sinker, just his FB.

Reynolds - There's definately debate whether he can be an MLB SS or not, but the Mets think so. Which is why he was 'overdrafted' in the second round. I kinda think so too. So didn't make any changes here either.

edit: I did knock ten points off his range but gave him a slight boost to his dp skills. So overall he should be a little more questionable at SS.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-16-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #233
mikestack
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Made it through Las Vegas to St. Lucie suggestions.

All implemented except:

DeGrom - Are you sure he has a sinker? I've never heard that and the link doesn't say anything about his sinker, just his FB.
that's because I gave you the wrong link, MetsMinorLeagueBlog makes reference to it. He does seem to be the only one, so maybe best to leave as is...?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #234
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestack View Post
that's because I gave you the wrong link, MetsMinorLeagueBlog makes reference to it. He does seem to be the only one, so maybe best to leave as is...?
I think maybe so. The sinker in OOTP is a special pitch. It's not supposed to be given to just anyone who throws a two seam fastball, or a pitch that might be described as a 'heavy fastball'.

It ties into the babip model and is meant for serious, genuine, overpowering sinkers like those of Lowe or Masterson or Domingo Tapia for that matter.

I'm not really convinced that DeGrom's pitch is anything more than a good two seamer from what I read there. I think we'll have to wait and see what the scouting reports say this year.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #235
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Daniel Descalso, Cardinals should have a rating at SS. Probably not a good one, but he is currently serving as their only backup for that position and played 184 innings there last year.

FTB: andymac
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #236
b10wick
Major Leagues

Post issues with major league rosters set here!

Lukas, sorry to be a pain. Any chance you could post that explanation sometime today?
b10wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #237
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Patch did not addree Danks (Chi.W) contract. I've been told it's supposed to be a mlc but i still see a 4 year 14.3mil deal.
Step taken-
-started a new game= no luck
-did an uninstall/ reinstall= no luck
-deleted ootp 14 folder in Documents folder & in the Program files (x86 folder)
-reinstalled the game=no luck

FWIW i had to re-register the game after complete uninstall/reinstall. Hopefully that didn't cost me my other license lol

Anyone else seeing Danks contract as i do? If not what am i missing?
Windows7
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #238
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

A few legacy issues involving abbreviations, which may not be fixable for db reasons:

The Pacific Coast League's Pacific Conference is abbreviated as AC, and has been since at least OOTP9.
The Florida State League is abbreviated as FLO, which is the same as the 1993-2011 Marlins.
The South Atlantic League is abbreviated as SOU, which could be confused with the Southern League.

Tampa Bay is abbreviated as TBA, while Kansas City, San Diego, and San Francisco don't have league identifiers in their abbreviations.

Charlotte (International League) and Colorado Springs (Pacific Coast League) have the same abbreviations as their parent clubs.
Oklahoma City (Pacific Coast League) is abbreviated as OKL, a remnant of their former name Oklahoma.
Salt Lake (Pacific Coast League) is abbreviated as SLC, a remnant of their former name Salt Lake City.
Jackson (Southern League) is abbreviated as WTE, a remnant of their former name/location West Tennessee.
Winston-Salem (Carolina League) is abbreviated as WIN rather than W-S. (Not sure if the db can handle hyphens in abbreviations.)
GCL Yankees 1 and Yankees 2 should have the abbreviations GNYA1 and GNYA2. (They're missing the A in the current set.)
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #239
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
A few legacy issues involving abbreviations, which may not be fixable for db reasons:

The Pacific Coast League's Pacific Conference is abbreviated as AC, and has been since at least OOTP9.
The Florida State League is abbreviated as FLO, which is the same as the 1993-2011 Marlins.
The South Atlantic League is abbreviated as SOU, which could be confused with the Southern League.

Tampa Bay is abbreviated as TBA, while Kansas City, San Diego, and San Francisco don't have league identifiers in their abbreviations.

Charlotte (International League) and Colorado Springs (Pacific Coast League) have the same abbreviations as their parent clubs.
Oklahoma City (Pacific Coast League) is abbreviated as OKL, a remnant of their former name Oklahoma.
Salt Lake (Pacific Coast League) is abbreviated as SLC, a remnant of their former name Salt Lake City.
Jackson (Southern League) is abbreviated as WTE, a remnant of their former name/location West Tennessee.
Winston-Salem (Carolina League) is abbreviated as WIN rather than W-S. (Not sure if the db can handle hyphens in abbreviations.)
GCL Yankees 1 and Yankees 2 should have the abbreviations GNYA1 and GNYA2. (They're missing the A in the current set.)
These are all things we have no control over in our DB, these are things that you would need to bring up to Andreas.
haveband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #240
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Hence why I said it may be unfixable in the DB.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote