Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Minors (Double A)

Player development setting turned on in a historical league??

Does turning on player development when you create a new game automatically turn recalc off?

Also, how exactly do historical leagues work with player development turned on? Do players initially get a set of ratings calculated by the AI upon creation, then the OOTP engine takes over and they develop as any player would in a fictional league without regard real life stats?

Any big drawbacks with turning it on (other than less historically accurate obviously)?
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I *believe* that you can have player development and recalc turned on, at least you could a couple of versions ago. What happens is that the development engine takes over until the next preseason, at which time everyone in the game is recalced. This is actually pretty useful when, for instance, you're playing the Pirates in 1972 and want to see how many hits Roberto Clemente could have picked up had he not died in the plane crash. I mainly play with fictionals but my experience with historical leagues is this.

Otherwise, the development without recalc works pretty much how you note. Players get potential ratings based on their career but it's up to the game engine whether or not they ever reach said potential... or get talent bumps or hits in the meantime. I'm playing in an online league with recalc turned off and the development engine on which started in the game year 1993. I manage the Expos. The bad news about them, aside from the hideously low amount of money I get to spend, is that Vlad Guerrero went from a 5-star stud to a 2 1/2 star future platoon partner. OTOH my draftee Russell "The Muscle" Branyan is now a MASSIVE superstar after getting a rating bump.

If you want to play the game the way that, for instance, you might have played Strat-o-Matic in the past, knowing pretty well in advance how good each player's "card" was going into a season, waiting to see if Maris would break the HR record in 1961, seeing if Hank Aaron could eclipse 714 HRs, etc., you might get frustrated by turning off recalc and leaving the dev engine on. Basically, with the development engine on, from the moment your guys get into the league they turn into essentially fictional players.

As you might have guessed, I am a *huge* fan of the development engine and go so far as to play with fictionals for the most part. I think this is the aspect of the game which really shines. There's *nothing* out there right now which even comes close to OOTP's ability to create baseball history that's stable and interesting. You can play your own way, of course, but why not use the strengths of the game when you do?
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
seasideda
Minors (Double A)

Is it possible to set the team development option on a team by team bases or does it have to be set for the entire league. For example, if I want to keep the accurate historical stats for most historical teams but create one fictional team, can i turn the player development on for my fictional team (players) while off for the remaining teams. Im assuming not.

seasideda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
seasideda
Minors (Double A)

Does it make sense to keep player development option on and enable Recalc. so you can get the best of both worlds without losing historical accuracy? If I understand correctly, with recalc the players potential gets "recalculated" the following years based on their actual real life performance? Then at least fictional players still get to use the development feature while real players stay accurate to real life potential?
seasideda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

When you turn on recalc and the development engine, it doesn't work in the way you might think. They don't apply separately to fictional and historical players. It's actually quite pointless because players can develop during the season, but their ratings are recalculated after the season ends. So they will start each season with ratings based on their historical stats, and they can experience minor increases or decreases during the season, but I don't think they're going to make a huge difference.

You also have the option to turn on player development, turn off recalc, but have the talent randomness on a low setting. This means that players can develop on their own and their ratings can change, but they won't deviate as much from their historical ratings. I've never tried this, though, so I can't say anything from experience.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Okay, so I'm just a little sketchy on how the Randomness factor plays into this equation, if recalc corrects players back to their original potential.

My overall goal is to have career arcs that are somewhat in line with historical, with maybe a 1 in 3 chance of, say, a John Donaldson or a Frank Reberger improving on his actual career, and a Frank Robinson or a Steve Blass falling a bit short of theirs.

I also don't want to have an unrealistic realism, where a guy goes off his career path dramatically, only to be bounced back into superstardom the following season, or whenever recalc happens.

I'd also like to train a guy for, say, 2nd base, and he be rated at 2b the next year. Seems in the past, a guy could play 150 games at a position one season, and totally forget how to play there the following one.

I just purchased 13 a few minutes ago, almost entirely for the ability to have random debuts, which I've been craving for years.

Last edited by bigMatt; 07-30-2012 at 04:37 PM.
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote