Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Anyone see a WHA game in person?

I seen one game.

12-31-74

Phoenix @ Michigan(Detroit Cobo Arena)

Attendance-3500(est)

1-1 OT Tie

Gerry Odrowski scored for Phoenix.

My memory isn't the greatest but I think Gary Kurt was in goal for Phoenix and Gerry Desjardins for the Stags.

The Stags were history a few weeks later when they moved to Baltimore.

They never did play Houston(the Howe Family ) in Detroit.

I can remember only one local game on TV(opener at Indianapolis w/Vince Doyle doing play by play).

They were on Detroit radio station(WWJ 950). I think Gary Morrell was play by play man.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
spitfire
All Star Reserve

Yeah, a bunch. In the early years I remember seeing the first game in Winnipeg with Edmonton (Alberta at that time) the visitors. Bobby Hull couldn't play yet as his contract situation was still before the courts. Saw Sanderson play one of his few games for Philadelphia; I remember him getting thrown out of that one. Was there the night the Jets beat the Russian national team with Tretiak, Kharmalov & co. Saw Ulf and Anders play with Hull, one of the great lines of all time. I found the Flyers style of the mid-70's a real turn-off and lost interest in hockey for a couple of years, but in 78/79 I got the bug again and went back to watching the Jets. Probably missed only two or three home games all season ...... unfortunately one of them was Gretzky's only visit to Winnipeg with Indianapolis. Oh well. Saw him often enough with the Oilers. And I was there for the last-ever WHA game when the Jets beat Edmonton in the finals, with Dave Semenko scoring the last goal in WHA history.

My favorite player was #10, Peter Sullivan. Great skater and play-maker who scored 46 in 78/79. When the Jets were down and needed a goal I'd put on my Sully button and wait for him to score ..... and often enough he did! Great days to be a hockey fan in Winnipeg as the Jets led the way in bringing European players and style to North American hockey.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

The Winnipeg Jets came out with a hard cover book way back in the late 1970s covering their WHA years and it was autographed by Bobby Hull. I don't know if I still have it.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
ranul
Minors (Rookie Ball)

sort of I saw the Edmonton oilers in 1978 playing against an NHL team in the pre season while they were still in the WHA
ranul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
RedWings2015
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Yeah, a bunch. In the early years I remember seeing the first game in Winnipeg with Edmonton (Alberta at that time) the visitors. Bobby Hull couldn't play yet as his contract situation was still before the courts. Saw Sanderson play one of his few games for Philadelphia; I remember him getting thrown out of that one. Was there the night the Jets beat the Russian national team with Tretiak, Kharmalov & co. Saw Ulf and Anders play with Hull, one of the great lines of all time. I found the Flyers style of the mid-70's a real turn-off and lost interest in hockey for a couple of years, but in 78/79 I got the bug again and went back to watching the Jets. Probably missed only two or three home games all season ...... unfortunately one of them was Gretzky's only visit to Winnipeg with Indianapolis. Oh well. Saw him often enough with the Oilers. And I was there for the last-ever WHA game when the Jets beat Edmonton in the finals, with Dave Semenko scoring the last goal in WHA history.

My favorite player was #10, Peter Sullivan. Great skater and play-maker who scored 46 in 78/79. When the Jets were down and needed a goal I'd put on my Sully button and wait for him to score ..... and often enough he did! Great days to be a hockey fan in Winnipeg as the Jets led the way in bringing European players and style to North American hockey.
Wow - Cement Head scored the last-ever goal in WHA history. That's impressive!
RedWings2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
spitfire
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings2015 View Post
Wow - Cement Head scored the last-ever goal in WHA history. That's impressive!
Well, I think they were down something like 7-2 at the time, so it didn't mean much in the context of the game. Jets were only a few minutes away from winning the last-ever Avco Cup and Semenko's goal was meaningless. But historically, yup, he had the last one in the history of the league.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
shelrik
Minors (Single A)

Saw the Toronto Toros playing at Maple Leaf Gardens. Can't remember who they played. Sat in those end blues behind the net.

Man...that's over 44 years ago....

Rick
shelrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #8
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I used to watch the Toros on Global TV (Sarnia) from SE Michigan(mostly Tuesday night games).