Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Is something really wrong with Play Game feature?

I'm in late august, some 125 games into the season on my Nats team who is 86-39, and I have yet to win a single game that I "played". I probably have 25 of those 39 losses. No joke I have not won a SINGLE game that I have taken the reins. Is something wrong?

I played the games all the time in ootp19 and got a realistic experience for the most part. Now literally no matter what I do if I try to play a game it's a loss, automatically. Is my game bugged?

I specifically bought 20 because they said they improved the 3d animations, and I basically have to completely ignore the "play game" feature because it's always a loss and I don't want to put my team into that much of a hole.

Anyone else have any other similar experience? My team is fine, obviously based on the record, when I auto-sim, but as soon as I play it's game over before it starts. They're usually out to a 5-7 run lead before the 3rd inning every time. I'm frustrated.

I don't want to abandon what I consider a critical part of the game because of this nonsense.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
slugga27
All Star Starter

There's no easy way to say this. This is a ridiculous post. The "play" engine is the same as the "sim" engine, as has been noted by Markus & Co. numerous times. You MIGHT have a point if you said that you played out every single game...and lost them all. But even then...that could also be reflective of your team and/or your managing style. What's to say you aren't overexerting your starters and blowing leads because you leave them in too long (just as an example)?

If you're 86-39, something's gotta give. You shouldn't be expecting to go 162-0. This isn't MLB Slugfest.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Nope. Its been great other than the crash auto save feature that was added which makes the game not stick and leave off where it was left.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
There's no easy way to say this. This is a ridiculous post. The "play" engine is the same as the "sim" engine, as has been noted by Markus & Co. numerous times. You MIGHT have a point if you said that you played out every single game...and lost them all. But even then...that could also be reflective of your team and/or your managing style. What's to say you aren't overexerting your starters and blowing leads because you leave them in too long (just as an example)?

If you're 86-39, something's gotta give. You shouldn't be expecting to go 162-0. This isn't MLB Slugfest.

I'm nowhere near expecting 162-0. That would be downright idiotic. My current pace is 111 wins. Higher than normal? Absolutely. High enough for a response with your tone? No.

It is a legitimate question. 0-25 is almost not possible.

Stretching out starters too far? Did you see where I said down by 5-7 runs in the THIRD INNING? They're at maybe 50-60 pitches by then. And I can't be blowing leads because I've NEVER HAD ONE. Every one of my "played games" the opposing team, regardless of who they are, hit 2-3 HR and score 3-5 runs in the first inning. I might come back to tie it in the 5th or 6th, but they always go ballistic on offense.

With Scherzer, Corbin, Strasburg as 3 of my top 5 my experience makes no rational sense. I usually like to play the first game of every series to get a feel for teams, but as I said I'm avoiding playing games at all now because it's an automatic loss.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I've played and watched a ton of games. I lose close ones, lose where I get blown out, win close ones, win where I blow out the other team. There are also stretches of said games above where they seem to happen more often then not. Just like in real life.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

I think the OP is correct and something is seriously wrong. Have you started a different league and experienced the same thing there? Do you have any specific settings outside the defaults? (No idea what settings might cause 0-25, I will admit.)

I think that launching a new game and see if you get similar results would be worth a try. 25 games certainly goes beyond a small sample size.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I think the OP is correct and something is seriously wrong. Have you started a different league and experienced the same thing there? Do you have any specific settings outside the defaults? (No idea what settings might cause 0-25, I will admit.)

I think that launching a new game and see if you get similar results would be worth a try. 25 games certainly goes beyond a small sample size.

I don't know if it affects it or not but it is an import from OOTP19. I could simply try to start the same franchise again within 20 and see if it's any better. Maybe something didn't import properly?
Old 05-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

I have played every game from Opening Day through the end of August and I am 30 games over .500 with my team, the 2016 Cubs.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

It really is a tiny sample size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post

That is less than 1% of all the games played in a regular season. How is that going beyond a small sample size? Using that logic the Seattle Mariners should have won the World Series going 13-2, I mean how could they not getting off to that improbably hot start, right ?
Just a little attempt at humor there lol, apologies. But 25 games may seem like allot but it really isn't.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #10
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

After 33 games I finally got a win. Not sure if it was blind luck or what. I didn't do anything differently.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #11
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Haven't seen any issues with "play game" myself.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
That is less than 1% of all the games played in a regular season. How is that going beyond a small sample size? Using that logic the Seattle Mariners should have won the World Series going 13-2, I mean how could they not getting off to that improbably hot start, right ?
Just a little attempt at humor there lol, apologies. But 25 games may seem like allot but it really isn't.
It has been a while since I took a stats class, but I from the OP, he has manually played 25% of the teams games for the bulk of a season, the team is winning 86% of games he doesn't touch and is 0-25 when he plats them (since become 1-32, from his previous post.)

That is not a 7 game series, or a week of play, that is a major chunk of games. If the difference was minor, even playing .500 with him and .860 without him, that could be seen as more of a fluke, but I think 0-25 is a big enough chunk that I would try one of the steps I mentioned.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

A streak of 0-25 is very improbably. A team that wins even 30% of it's games only has a 1 in 10,000 shot at such a streak. The odds of losing a single game for a 30% win team is 70%, and 0.7^24 is .0001.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #14
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
A streak of 0-25 is very improbably. A team that wins even 30% of it's games only has a 1 in 10,000 shot at such a streak. The odds of losing a single game for a 30% win team is 70%, and 0.7^24 is .0001.
cool, but didn't you forget the hypotenuse of the quadratic equation
Old 05-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Unless I am completely misunderstanding though (always a possibility), the OP's essential question here is whether there is something inherently amiss with the game that leads to different (bad, in his case) outcomes when you play games out in 3D rather than just simming games.

And given that nobody is rushing in to say, yes, this is happening to me too!, and many (including me, though I'm just saying it now) experience more or less reasonable, expected general outcomes when playing out games, I trust that the answer is, no, something is not really wrong with the play game feature.

Now, that is very different from saying that nothing is wrong in the OP's saved game where this is occurring. It certainly sounds like something might be corrupted in some way. Though honestly I can't imagine what would cause this kind of discrepancy between 3D game play and simmed game results. So, statistical long-shot or not, this could still just be a statistical anomaly. (After all, someone does win big in the lottery occasionally, no matter how long the odds are.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #16
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Unless I am completely misunderstanding though (always a possibility), the OP's essential question here is whether there is something inherently amiss with the game that leads to different (bad, in his case) outcomes when you play games out in 3D rather than just simming games.

And given that nobody is rushing in to say, yes, this is happening to me too!, and many (including me, though I'm just saying it now) experience more or less reasonable, expected general outcomes when playing out games, I trust that the answer is, no, something is not really wrong with the play game feature.

Now, that is very different from saying that nothing is wrong in the OP's saved game where this is occurring. It certainly sounds like something might be corrupted in some way. Though honestly I can't imagine what would cause this kind of discrepancy between 3D game play and simmed game results. So, statistical long-shot or not, this could still just be a statistical anomaly. (After all, someone does win big in the lottery occasionally, no matter how long the odds are.)

This is my guess. It seems unfathomable that a corrupted file could cause this. My first thought is that this is just ridiculously terrible luck. However, if it gets to 50+ games and I have less than 3 or 4 wins in that span I'm going to contact tech support. 3-47 or 5-45 seem statistically equivalent to being struck by lightning...twice...in a row...on a Tuesday...in March... just after dinner...before the in-laws come over to stay for a week.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #17
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
This is my guess. It seems unfathomable that a corrupted file could cause this. My first thought is that this is just ridiculously terrible luck. However, if it gets to 50+ games and I have less than 3 or 4 wins in that span I'm going to contact tech support. 3-47 or 5-45 seem statistically equivalent to being struck by lightning...twice...in a row...on a Tuesday...in March... just after dinner...before the in-laws come over to stay for a week.
Yeah, I totally hear this.
Ridiculously terrible luck sounds like absolutely the right wording for this, if that is indeed what is happening here.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
dbqs
Major Leagues

Is your keyboard ok? Are you trying to bunt every time?

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #19
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqs View Post
Is your keyboard ok? Are you trying to bunt every time?

That's it! You figured it out!

JK
It's my pitchers that get shelled. Hitting seems normal.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #20
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post

That is the probability for a single team.

Now consider the installed base of the game, and every team in each game. Now consider the number of seasons simmed. The chances of a 0-25 streak become much, much larger- to the point that it is likely to happen. The only question at that point is whether the player comes here to inform us of the streak.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote