Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Strategy Settings in Historical Games

Here are the strategy settings I am currently using in historical games. There is a table that contains the pitcher settings for rotation, mode, relievers, roster, and pitcher stamina for the different seasons.

I broke things down into the major time frames in history. 1871-1875 is the National Association seasons, 1876-1881 was the formation of the National League, 1882-1891 had the National League and American Association, 1892-1900 was the return to only the National League and established pretty much the modern rules of the game, 1901-1910 is the early Deadball Era, 1911-1919 is the late Deadball Era, 1920-1935 is the Early Lively Ball Era, 1936-1960 is the Late Lively Ball Era , 1961-1968 Expands to 20 teams, 1969-1976 expands to 24 teams and the DH gets introduced in 1973, 1977-1992 expands to 26 teams, 1993-1997 expands to 28 teams, and 1998-2018 expands to 30 teams. During these seasons the Innings Pitched per Game Started was generally declining and as it declined it necessitated more innings from relievers.

When you change your pitching settings it will inevitably affect the league leaders of both batters and pitchers. If you use too few relievers for instance, the bullpens will always be tired and they will give up more offense thus making it easier for all batters and reducing the performance of the best players in the league. If you use too many relievers, weaker pitchers will get to pitch more often and the same thing will happen.

Here are the settings I am using for all seasons:

Global Settings Menu

Use Complete Scouting System: No

Use Complete Coaching System: No

Enable Storylines: No (if you don't turn this off then some players will retire too early)

Players & Facegen Menu

Enable Injuries: No

Position Player Fatigue: Very High (the Very High setting is only available from the menu, not upon league creation)

Enable Suspensions: No

Use Player Personality Ratings: No

Show and Use Player Morale System: No

Disable Player Development: Yes (This is extremely important. Players will still develop from season to season but their ratings will not change during the season)

Stats Menu

Automatically adjust league strategy when advancing to next season: No (That is why I am making this post. I do not believe the default settings provide the best results.)

For the pitcher and roster settings, see the attached image.

Allow two-way players: No

Use of Relievers: Normal

Use of Closers: Very Often (you will get higher save numbers in early seasons but you will get better reliever usage this way. The game will put the best reliever as the Closer, so on lower settings you are telling the game not to use their best relief pitcher as frequently.)

Pinch Hit for Pitchers: Very Rarely

Pinch Hit for Position Players: Very Rarely or Normal (I have been using Normal but I need to try Very Rarely here.)

Defensive Substitutions: Normal

Stealing Bases: Normal

Hit & Run: Very Often

Bunting: Often

Infield Shifts: None

Historical Menu

Automatically adjust league strategy when advancing to next season: No

Retire players according to history: Yes

Players miss seasons according to history: No

Rules Menu

Active Roster Size: see attached image

Reserve Roster Size: No Limit

Expanded Roster Size: Rule Disabled
Attached Images
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

With retire according to history, do you ever see things like a team only having one catcher? Or even a team starting the season with below the number of required players to fill a roster? Since the AI doesn't have a clue it will lose players due to retirement, are you forced to manipulate rosters to make things work?

How does the game play when using very high fatigue? If Hank Aaron is fatigued enough that the AI sits him, does a pinch hit at bat mean he remains too tired to play the next game as well? Maybe he pinch hits for an entire weekend or more until his team gets a day off? How many games played do you see when it comes to catchers?

Are you still using 5 year recalc? 50 40 10 8 for make bad?

Last edited by David Watts; 04-18-2019 at 04:07 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

I have not seen issues with rosters and teams not having a player for a position. Teams generally have extra players on the reserve roster. If you use the default expand league in OOTP you will not have enough players in the 1800's, that's why I suggest using only 4 teams from 1871-1875, and then 8 from 1876-1881.

My import is currently 5-yr recalc with 154/77 for batters and 14/12 for pitchers. I may consider moving these up though to maybe 200/154 and 19/17 .

I believe you get better results with fatigue set to Very High, you will see more realistic OPS of the best players.

Last edited by Garlon; 04-18-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Hank Aaron in his career had 12364 AB vs 12782 in the game.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Very interesting. Man I love stuff like this.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Edster007
All Star Starter

Great stuff. The one thing I find no matter the year used for stats is that I usually bump steals to often as I found normal to almost always be below normal.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Can you screenshot a few random pitchers. Would love to see how they fare with injuries off. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #8
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

If you raise Stealing above Normal you will reduce the league leaders, but your best base stealers will have a better success rate. If you lower it below Normal, your leaguer leaders for SB's will increase, but at the cost of a lower success rate for those players with the most SB's. The LTM's will control total SB's and SB%, so adjusting the strategy setting for this just modifies how this gets distributed.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Niekro, Roberts, Plank, Tanana
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Garlon; 04-19-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #10
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Cobb, Ruth, DiMaggio, Williams
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 04-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thank you so much. Very cool.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #12
JaBurns
All Star Starter

What settings for Hook SP and Hook RP are you using? Thank you very much for the info I would have never guessed that Stamina setting would be Low for 1936-60 period.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #13
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

We probably need an option to disable the Hook settings being adjusted automatically. I just let the game determine the hook every season. The Hook doesn't serve any purpose in historical games as we have the starting pitcher LTM there to adjust IP by SP's. In fact you will notice that these two things are often going in the opposite direction. The LTM for SP's will be going lower each year while the Hook for SP's will be at +5. So the game wants to both reduce the SP innings with the LTM and try to keep the SP's in the game longer with the Hook setting. What this does is cause us to miss the correct distribution of SP innings and RP innings in any given season. With my suggested settings I believe you will get as close as you can the way the game currently is. Before the Hook settings were introduced it was possible to get IP per Game Started to 99% accuracy, or about a tenth of an out. Now you will sometimes miss by about 2 outs. If SP's throw 2 more outs per game on average over 154 games, that's over 300 outs, which is taking away over 100 IP from the RP's.

The best results I am getting have the Stamina correlated with the rotation size. 2 = Very High, 3 = High, 4 = Normal, 5 = Low. If you go with Normal and a 5-man rotation the SP's will throw too many innings because of the issue with the Hook and the LTM as I mentioned.

Before the season begins, the game will calculated the Modifiers for the season and set the Hook. This is what happens if you play until Opening Day. At that point you can then go in and reset the Hook to 0 for the season. This is something I need to test as well.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
Reed
All Star Starter

Players miss seasons according to history-no???
I do not understand this setting. An extreme example is Ted Williams. Seems like it would over inflate some of his stats (and other players) like at bats, strike outs and home runs. This in turn would deflate the stats of the other players ( for example those that played in real life during the war years). Or so it would seem to me.
Great work, thanks.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #15
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

I don't like it that every year I have to fix Stats and AI Settings because like Opener goes back to O and have to change it back to Always. I also want to do Divisions Geographically but it will revert them back every year intill this year's.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #16
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

There are options in the game to turn off automatically adjust league strategy settings and you can turn off automatically expand league. If you turn these off you can set up your own strategy settings and league structure without the game adjusting them the next season.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Just curious, can you show Minnie Minoso's career? Just curious what happens with a guy like that. Did he return in 76 and 1980?
Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #18
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for your post, Garlon. There's a lot to chew on there. I'm not convinced that you're correct, but what you write is certainly thought-provoking. A few of my comments/observations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
When you change your pitching settings it will inevitably affect the league leaders of both batters and pitchers. If you use too few relievers for instance, the bullpens will always be tired and they will give up more offense thus making it easier for all batters and reducing the performance of the best players in the league. If you use too many relievers, weaker pitchers will get to pitch more often and the same thing will happen.
That's an excellent point. The problem, though, is that, by fixing the pitcher settings to make hitters' stats more realistic, you run the risk of making the pitchers' stats less realistic. In the pre-reliever era, a team's best reliever was usually one of its starters. The guys who were stuck in the bullpen weren't the best relievers, they were just failed starters. And, of course, in the nineteenth century, a time when starters were completing 80-90% of their starts, there really was no such thing as a relief pitcher - at least not as that term is used by the game.

Quote:
Enable Storylines: No
Boooooooo!

Quote:
Use of Relievers: Normal

Use of Closers: Very Often (you will get higher save numbers in early seasons but you will get better reliever usage this way. The game will put the best reliever as the Closer, so on lower settings you are telling the game not to use their best relief pitcher as frequently.)
Very interesting point. But closers - at least how OOTP defines them - didn't exist until the 1970s or '80s. I can appreciate how you want the game to use the best guy in the bullpen, but before about 1940 that guy was usually a starter.

Quote:
Pinch Hit for Pitchers: Very Rarely
I'm interested in your thinking here.

Quote:
Active Roster Size: see attached image
I'm curious to learn how your pitcher settings yield accurate results. For instance, you have four pitchers on clubs in the 1870s-'80s. In my view, that's way too many. It should be two until about 1883, at the earliest, when it goes up to three. Also, strict rotation until 1935 and "start highest rested" seems backwards to me. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #19
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

You can try other amounts of pitchers in the 19th century. You can figure the amount of relief innings you need in a season by taking (27 - IP per GS)*(Games/3). For example, if the average SP gets 23 outs per game, then there are 4 more outs to get and if you are playing 154 games in a season, you have 4*154 = 616 outs to get with your relievers, and this is 205 innings. So then you have to ask how many pitchers do you want to divide those innings by. My answer to this is that you take this value and divide it by about 75. So if I need 205 innings from my relievers I will need 3 relievers on the roster.

Perhaps you think 2 pitchers is enough to cover these innings though. I think that in OOTP though if you ask too much of too few RP's that they will get worn out and not perform as well as you expect.

You are welcome to try other modes for the rotation but I have been using strict because you will otherwise have one pitcher on every team making more that 40 GS per season and historically that just wasn't happening. With strict you get 39 and 38 and even that is quite a bit.

PH for Pitchers Very Rarely will keep the SP's in the game, sort of like an additional boost to the Hook rating. The more you let the pitchers bat, the better the rest of the batters in the league will do as well.

IF you want more realistic saves totals just set Use Relievers to Very Rarely and Use Closers to Very Rarely up through probably 1960. It seems to me though that doing this will end up costing the best SP's some wins though.

If they took out having players retire early from the Storylines that'd be neat. You will have some of the best players only play a couple of seasons and then retire if you keep this enabled. Up to you, but Cobb might play 5 seasons and then retire.

I suggest testing different settings to determine what you prefer.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 AM   #20
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can try other amounts of pitchers in the 19th century. You can figure the amount of relief innings you need in a season by taking (27 - IP per GS)*(Games/3). For example, if the average SP gets 23 outs per game, then there are 4 more outs to get and if you are playing 154 games in a season, you have 4*154 = 616 outs to get with your relievers, and this is 205 innings. So then you have to ask how many pitchers do you want to divide those innings by. My answer to this is that you take this value and divide it by about 75. So if I need 205 innings from my relievers I will need 3 relievers on the roster.
Well, I'd expect my starters in the nineteenth century to average closer to 27 outs per start, but even if I was spreading out relief innings to my staff, I'd want my second or third starter to be getting most of those (as happened in real life).

Quote:
You are welcome to try other modes for the rotation but I have been using strict because you will otherwise have one pitcher on every team making more that 40 GS per season and historically that just wasn't happening. With strict you get 39 and 38 and even that is quite a bit.
When I use a six-man rotation and "start highest rested" the top starter on a team usually gets about 32-35 starts per year. That's actually too low, but at least no one is racking up 400 IP on a regular basis.

Quote:
If they took out having players retire early from the Storylines that'd be neat. You will have some of the best players only play a couple of seasons and then retire if you keep this enabled. Up to you, but Cobb might play 5 seasons and then retire.
Yeah, I agree that there are probably too many "catastrophic" storylines right now. Some of them could definitely be toned down or eliminated.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote