Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
MikeS21
Minors (Triple A)

Stuff/Movement/Control vs. Command

I am trying to figure out the differences in some of the pitching ratings. I know what "control" is, and I think I understand the idea of "movement." But what is "stuff" and how is that related to what scouts call "command."

I am adjusting ratings for a young pitcher, who has been scouted and rated by actual scouts. On a 20-80 scale, his control is currently rated at 40, with a potential of 50. His command is rated at 40/45. (Fastball = 55/65, Slider = 50/60, Changeup = 40/50) His velocity is in the 91-93 mph range, occasionally touching 95. He is projected to be a #3-#4 starter.

Any thoughts on how to translate that in to OOTP ratings?
MikeS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Stuff in OOTP is about the quality of pitches. From the manual:

Quote:
Stuff is a measure of the quality of a pitcher's pitch repertoire. Think of it as essentially how a pitcher "puts it all together." Stuff directly affects the number of strikeouts a pitcher throws. Stuff is calculated based on a combination of his individual pitch ratings and the velocity with which he throws.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
MikeS21
Minors (Triple A)

The closest rating to "Command" in OOTP is "Control," but technically speaking, they are not the same. Control is simply the ability to throw strikes, whereas command is more about pitch placement within the strike zone.

Really just looking at ways to accurately integrate "command" into OOTP since command is usually given as a 20-80 rating by scouts in pitching evaluations.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
Dr.K
Major Leagues

Just so I'm following too after this great question from OP.

Is it possible for a pitcher to have good control but poor stuff? I am thinking yes, maybe someone doesn't give up too many walks but as a result gets hit a lot. Whereas someone with good stuff could a be a bit wild, but also strikeout because his "stuff" is unhittable - like Randy Johnson?
Dr.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Control is command.

The manual says control = accuracy.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 06-13-2015 at 11:39 AM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
MikeS21
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Control is command.

The manual says control = accuracy.
My point is that for scouting purposes, control is NOT the same as command. Simply google "command vs control" and there are many links that say there IS a difference.

Last edited by MikeS21; 06-13-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
My point is that for scouting purposes, control is NOT the same as command. Simply google "command vs control" and there are many links that say there IS a difference.

Yes I know the difference in the wording..

Command is usually referring to the ability to hit a target while control is usually used when describing how good a pitcher is at throwing pitches inside the zone.

Both definitions have to do with accuracy.

You can argue that a pitcher with good control and good stuff = good command

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 06-13-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
IsaacR
Major Leagues

All three combine to form command. Otherwise, I would've expected the devs to include a command rating.
IsaacR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

I would disagree with those that are saying the Control rating is command. The Control rating governs walks, which is what the scouting community calls control IMO.

The DIPS theory doesn't really distinguish a separate command factor in pitching. I think Isaac's answer is probably the best. Command is represented by an amalgam of factors, including the displayed ratings and other factors.

I think the real answer to the OP is that command isn't directly scoutable in OOTP.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Note in the written scouting reports under CONTROL that command is often referred to.

Example:

CONTROL:
"_______ has very good command of his pitches. Doesn't walk people very often"
Old 12-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #11
hcorry2001
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
I am trying to figure out the differences in some of the pitching ratings. I know what "control" is, and I think I understand the idea of "movement." But what is "stuff" and how is that related to what scouts call "command."

I am adjusting ratings for a young pitcher, who has been scouted and rated by actual scouts. On a 20-80 scale, his control is currently rated at 40, with a potential of 50. His command is rated at 40/45. (Fastball = 55/65, Slider = 50/60, Changeup = 40/50) His velocity is in the 91-93 mph range, occasionally touching 95. He is projected to be a #3-#4 starter.

Any thoughts on how to translate that in to OOTP ratings?

Control is the ability to throw strikes. Command is the ability to precisely place the pitch EXACTLY where the catcher wants it.

There are "good" strikes & "bad" strikes. The ability to pitch in or out off the plate, up or down in the zone by command.

You hear managers talk about fastball command all the time when a pitcher gets shelled because of his inability to command the fastball. Hitters will sit on it, just waiting to crush it.

You will hear about a top prospect, wondering why he hasn't been called up. The GM or manager will simply say, he needs to improve his fastball command. Against AAA hitters you can get away with that but not at the major league level.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by hcorry2001; 12-05-2018 at 09:29 AM.
hcorry2001 is offline   Reply With Quote