Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
Fronzizzle
Minors (Double A)

Some Trading Questions

Hello all,

In previous versions of OOTP, I think that trading was always a little too easy, at least on paper - I could always deal away surplus RP for Top 100 prospects, make deals have have the other team include additional prospects, etc.

However, in 19 I'm having an issue with the opposite. It seems like whenever I try to deal a top player - either in terms of ratings, stats or both - the offers I get are always substandard. I haven't noticed anything make a big difference, either - position, contracts, etc.

I have a young, All-Star 2B with 2 years left on his deal, when I shop him around I get a bunch of 3-star offers and if I go into the team and try to ask for a 4-star player instead (my guy is 4.5 current/5.0 potential stars), I get the "That's the worst offer I've seen in my career" response.

At the same time, I get swamped with offers of 32 year old journeymen for two or three top players. On July 30th, my team is 5 games under .500 and I'm 8 games back of a Wild Card spot, yet I just got an offer like this:

Toronto will give up 37 year old SP Chris Archer (3.0 stars/3.0 stars, 5.65 ERA) for 22 year old SS, 20 year old CF, and a 21 year old SS. All three players are potential ratings of 3.0 stars or better.

So, I have a few questions:

1) I know there are some AI settings regarding trades, but my is set to average and I'm afraid if I set it to easy it'll become...well, too easy. Not sure if messing with the "Player Evaluation AI settings" will do anything?

2) I thought there used to be a place to put your team status (Win Now, Rebuilding, Build a Dynasty) but I haven't been able to find it, and I'm not sure if that affects what sort of offers you get?

3) When you shop a player around, is there someplace to make it so you get more than 1-for-1 offers? Just about every offer I get from the computer includes multiple players, but when I shop a player around the trades are 1-for-1 and anytime I try to add a player from the CPU side - even if it's the lowest rated prospect in their system - it gets rejected.
Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
drowssap
Minors (Double A)

I always thought shopping a player was an exercise in frustration as you would only get deals you'd never make.

I did get to pull this one below during the season. Lots of factors in it, so I think that's why St. Louis accepted the deal. I feel like I got a great deal (ace starter, closer, RF with some pop, salary relief) for an underachieving high salary player, a 20 year old prospect catcher, and my young closer. Stanton could hit 70 HRs someday, but he was bad for my team. Real bad.
Attached Images
drowssap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
Fronzizzle
Minors (Double A)

I never understood why OOTP handles shopping players this way. I always thought that if you shopped a player, you'd get a list of teams that might be interested based on some calculation of need, where they are in terms of a team, the players position, age, contract, etc. That would maybe give you a starting point of which team(s) would be willing to give up a little more and who to negotiate with.
Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
malor
Major Leagues

Yes, the AI trading system has changed in this version for the bad. I have not yet even considered any of the crazy offers that have arrived via email in two season of play now. They don't even make sense to click discuss button to look at in more detail. It is like the AI does not even look at your team to see your needs and simply throws in a player they want to get rid of. I've also noticed the AI to AI trading is way down in volume from 18 to 19. This is all with the MLB quickstart default settings.

I had one trade where the AI offered me a 38 yr old wrecked RF with 2 years remaining on a $10M contract that was hitting .200 and had spent most of the year on the DL. Their asking price, my top two prospects. I was last in my division near the trade deadline and my team setting was set to rebuild. They were in first place with a Win Now setting. They should have been offering prospects for my starting players. I might have looked a that type of trade.

The shop option is mostly useless. It needs to allow the human player to add more criteria to indicate what we are looking for to reduce results and provide something for the AI to compare with when gathering results. Similar to the team needs tab allows us to do. This should be the select criteria for any return offers. If we as for a young 2B, the return list should not include a 41 year old RP.

Last edited by malor; 04-22-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: edit grammer/spelling/spacing
malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Mets52
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malor View Post
The shop option needs to allow the human player to add more criteria to indicate what we are looking for.
Yes, yes, yes! I have been thinking this as well. I'd love to only see guys in minor league contracts when I shop players, as that's generally all I trade for.
Mets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

I actually think the trade AI has improved. My trade AI is set at very difficult, favor prospects.

Yes, you see the salary dump type offers when you shop a marginal guy, but a couple of times, like when I shopped a previous #3 starter who was struggling that year, but still had a good ratings, I received some really decent offers. The season was going south real quick and I had to unload some guys and try to re-tool in the middle of it. One of which landed me a very good 2nd base/infield position prospect (who would prove to be good trade material, because I ended-up needing another position once a vet stepped-up). This by the way resulted in a number of good offers, that almost distracted me from my original plan.

I don’t use the “stars” so I have a bit more Fog-of-War in my game; however again, I am seeing decent trades and some good trades between the other teams as well.
I think it really depends on what you are looking to move and with-whom. There are also times when shop player around results in “a starting conversation” just like many real life negotiations, where you have an immediate signal from a team in interest and need, then you can go from there. However, in at least two examples, including the above, these were out-of-the-gate trade proposals.

That's not saying there is no room for improvement; the Trade AI must be linked too the Team's overall management AI, but I think it is better.

Last edited by Calvert98; 04-22-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I too think the trade AI is much improved in v19. The trade offers I have received from the AI have been sensible and would be considered "win\win's" for both clubs. Sure there is the occasional garbage offer but isn't that the job of the other GM, try to unload contracts if they can? Same as you and me.

For me the number of offers is down from previous versions as is the number of trades between AI teams. I take this as a sign of improvement, IE the cpu clubs are hanging onto players longer and not making trades for the sake of making trades. I'm only in early May in my first season so there really shouldn't be a lot of movement yet. This, to me, is another sign of improved AI. And I'll add that I look at the trades between AI teams as they are made and I have yet to see one that doesn't make sense.

The shop player function could use a lot of improvement so you have to use it knowing it for what it is, a quick fix tool where you're not looking so much for value as you are to just move a player.

I'd like to see the shop player function work where teams simply replied "yes, we'd be interested in your player. What are you looking for in return?" Or as others have stated the ability to tell the other teams what you would consider in return when you made the offer using the same options that are available in the "search for a player" screen. While this would be a great addition one would have to be prepared for all of the "why aren't AI teams making offers for my player?" posts when offering marginal players or players with BIG dollar contracts. The answer would be the same as we get with the current system IE, if you don't like the guy
you're trying to move why would the AI? In many cases there is just no value and the "improved" AI is smart enough to recognize it
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
hluraven
Major Leagues

I think the difficulty is similar to 18, but the volume of AI trades is well down.

On the standard setting, I had 3 trades in the entire month of June. I upped it to the highest setting, very high, and had 7 trades in June, 2 on deadline day. The following season, 0 trades on deadline day, with the highest setting possible.

I'm also not sure I have ever seen more than two players on either side of an AI trade - and I haven't seen a single example of a win now team picking up an expiring contract from a rebuilding teams - they are very happy to keep the player and lose them for nothing.
hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

I think the trading logic is better in 19 for sure. I have it set to hard but not favor prospects or anything like that. I make mostly good deals, but you have to give good stuff up. As it should be. You probably can't make blockbuster, superstar for superstar deals anymore, which I think is better. In 18 I could just throw in a bunch of 18 year old prospects and a lot of cash and get almost any player. I think it's much better this year
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
discodude5
Major Leagues

Transactions>player trade>team needs

There is a team needs setting that helps eliminate the garbage offers.
I've found it to work fairly well. Won't help in shop player.
I was rebuilding and getting the offers like op had but after setting this up I didn't get the 35 year old $15 million/yr offers.
They still sometimes wanted my 5* prospects for their mlb ready 3* guys but it was better overall.

This is just to get more realistic offers, so they will offer the 3* guy but may still say your 4* guy you offer is not what they are looking for.
Attached Images
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
malor
Major Leagues

Trade volume is down a lot. I've went through two Winter meetings and only two trades each time, both for low-level players. Very few trades between any teams before the trade deadline to fill needs or dump salary. The AI is very tight with it's players in this version. Note I use the standard install options for MLB quickstart with the only change to HIGH injury settings. Which is something that should actually generate more trades.

I've found the Team Needs screen useless and reported it last version. OOTP Team said it was working as designed. Since it was not actually doing anything for me, I have assumed that is what was expected and moved on.I wrote something similar about it last year.

The AI does offers players that meet your team needs, but nothing you offer will make the trade work. For example. I had the AI offer me the perfect player to meet my needs. They were rebuilding so I offered three of my top prospects, that also meet their needs by positions. NO DEAL. I added another prospect. NO DEAL. Added a fifth. NO DEAL. Added 15M in cash. NO DEAL. I would have been jumping all over all of the deals. AI kept telling me to add more. Thus I stopped using it. It is broken as far as I'm concerned. Others have reported the same but nothing has changed.

Since we can't pick up the phone an talk to the AI GMs, we need something that allows us, the human, to tell the AI what we want and the AI needs to understand and use it. The AI should have something similar for us to look at so we know what they need. The AI really needs to use the trade needs screen for it's wants and offer players they really want to trade when they answer one of the human needs.

Last edited by malor; 04-22-2018 at 04:10 PM.
malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Offer to all like in Eastside Hockey Manager? Multi guys from other Team in offer?
Old 04-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

use Shop Player in a more abstract way...

i agree, 99% of the time you won't want to take what you see on that screen. Same with the emails you get, but less so with those.. they always ask for your 'best' players.. i have a well thought out timeline for those guys and rarely do email offers coincide conveniently.

however, if one team is offering you 28 year olds with good ratings and others are offerin you junk and aged players not worth a dime... you have found a GM that values what you are selling and worth further investigation (likely matching a severe team need on that particular team, but not always... ).

this is no different than using the Team Needs as a guage, but also intimates something about how that GM is scouting the player. you know he 'likes' what they see etc... VERY useful information to have... saves a ton of time looking for a willing trade partner you can squeeze an optimal return from.

Back to the OP... you can get return on RP? holy shnikeys! only the elites are like din trades i try.. most barely move the needle... like when they say "this is close but..." sometimes an RP will tip the scale for me, but only if the need is high onthat team too.

some really elite RP/CL can tip the scale more, of course, but i'm not trading away that guy unless he's ~35+ or i have a glut of similarly aged RP.

also, i almost exclusively deal in prospects as far as what i get in return... but, i do trade mlb vets as well as RP prospects away.

Team Needs are also on the trade screen.. each time you load a new team you can see the color-coded needs.

if you don't like a ton of emails interupting play, you can move your guys to a no-trade list under Rosters and Transactions (a sub-tab there, you'll see it on screen i forget the exact syntax)

Last edited by NoOne; 04-22-2018 at 09:15 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #14
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

Personally, I think the trading AI has improved dramatically from past versions. I only play current MLB Quickstart with, currently, the Red Sox. I haven't made a trade myself yet as my team is in 1st place. But I think there's been three or four trades between AI teams and ALL of them made sense. One team lost their starting C for the year and the next day traded for a decent, starting caliber C from another team and gave up two B/C+ level prospects. I haven't seen a single head scratching trade, like in past games. I realize everyone has different experiences but I'm extremely happy with the trading in this version of OOTP.

Just for kicks I tried to see if I could get Aaron Judge (mind you, I'm the Red Sox) and they wouldn't trade him for anything besides me giving up Mookie, Devers, my top 3 prospects, and my 1st and 2nd round draft picks. This is how it should be.

TL;DR: I love the trading AI in this version of the game.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote