Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
cdidman
Minors (Single A)

A burning question I have

The game is great, I love it, but there are a few things that the game has that I just don't understand.

I would like to know, what is the point of my scout finding "talent" in other countries? There will be at least 4 to 5 times a year where I get a e-mail telling about my scout finding a half a star player in another country. I've never seen one develop, I've never seen one higher than maybe a star and a half. What is the point of this?

Has anyone see a scout actually find someone that has potential? Scouts are usually looking for some sort of diamond in the rough or something like that, why would a scout bring me a 16-17 year old half a star prospect? It doesn't make any sense to me at all.
cdidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Never seen one in 6 versions of the game only junk. Funny how the scout seems
Excited about the find

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

I have seen scouts find players with various potential usually less than 3.0 potential (although I have seen the skies open and the baseball gods send a saviour, lol). The majority is 0.5 to 1.0 stars, but higher is definitely possible. Depending on your settings you are most likely not getting many finds each year and the majority are going to be scrubs. Finding higher rated ones are like winning the lottery. I play solo GM/Manager and also "Commissioner" watch mode and keep an eye on talent finds for all teams. There is a decent spread overall IMO each year. Some are better than others, but overall it is what it is. There is no guarantee that we will get any star players from these finds. This is just another resource from which we can draw upon and we should look upon it as such. At least that is how I look upon it. Hope this helps!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
schreck
Minors (Single A)

I actually had a 5 star get scouted once, and then of all dumb things, I lost him because I started the game without running it as an administrator, so it wouldn't save my freaking game .

I did notice that a cpu team had a complete young stud that I didn't recognize, and after looking at how they got him it was as a scouting discovery. He's 23 now, and had a big season as a 22 year old with 6 WAR. So they are out there, but rightly I think, are few and far between.
Attached Images

Last edited by schreck; 06-20-2017 at 05:57 PM.
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Schrek? wtf? turn off UAC or something if windows you can also set the shortcut or the ootp18.exe file to always open with admin rights, if oyu don't want to turn off whatever is preventing the game from writing to disk.

op:

yeah, you will get a stud 1/10 years or more.... sometimes you get lucky and see 1-3 of them, too... and of course, you may not see any in 10 years on occassion, too.

more, if you expand lower in quality... the above is a reference to the elite ones. most will be terrible - as in never make it past A-ball.

I'm fairly certain at this point that 'international scouting budget" has no real effect on how many good discoveries you will find. not sure on ratings accuracy of these types of prospects, but the 'international amatuer free agents' on july 2nd are almost certainly not on that 'international' budget... i'm guessing neither are the discoveries...

one of the budgets must apply, probably amatuer scouting, eh? so, if any improve probability of finding somethign decent, it's that one... but i think it's just a rare occurence no matter what.

turn off that budget unless you have international leagues active and running, and you'll come to the same conclusion over time, too.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
schreck
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
Schrek? wtf? turn off UAC or something if windows you can also set the shortcut or the ootp18.exe file to always open with admin rights, if oyu don't want to turn off whatever is preventing the game from writing to disk.
Sigh. I am not usually a PC gamer, but am a baseball nerd and kept seeing stuff about OOTP pop up in places like Fangraphs and the like, so decided to give it a shot this year.

Was getting pretty damn infuriating every time I tried to close the game, and getting a message that it couldn't write to disk or save for some reason. Had no idea what the problem was, but finally stumbled upon the solution. For awhile I just didn't shut my computer down so I didn't lose everything.

I also use the computer for work, so my guy had set it up that way to more secure I suppose. Anyway, now that I know, it's simple, but I gotta tell you, when something that should be as simple as clicking save doesn't work, I almost threw my Surface through the wall a few times.
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdidman View Post
The game is great, I love it, but there are a few things that the game has that I just don't understand.

I would like to know, what is the point of my scout finding "talent" in other countries? There will be at least 4 to 5 times a year where I get a e-mail telling about my scout finding a half a star player in another country. I've never seen one develop, I've never seen one higher than maybe a star and a half. What is the point of this?

Has anyone see a scout actually find someone that has potential? Scouts are usually looking for some sort of diamond in the rough or something like that, why would a scout bring me a 16-17 year old half a star prospect? It doesn't make any sense to me at all.
I have seen 4-5 star potential players and have a couple right now. Even the low potential players I keep if they have good qualities like high work ethic, leadership, etc.. you can check the development tap after a couple of years to see if they are developing.

If they are lazy or disruptive, greedy etc.. I immediately release them.

I look at it like the greater the number of discoveries, the greater the chance that one will develop into something spectacular.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
buckeye22
Major Leagues

I thought it was pretty much a useless function for anything but helping me fill out my Dominican League roster, until.........

Name:  Garza.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  303.2 KB

If he develops properly that's a bona fide All-Star leadoff hitter who will either be a good CF or a GREAT corner OF for years to come. And I didn't have to do a single thing to sign him.
buckeye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

As others have alluded to, getting 3-5 star guys via discovery does happen, just rarely. It's not worth banking on; you should definitely build your farm by drafting, trading, and signing international amateur FAs. Any guy the scout discovers is really just a bonus.
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreck View Post
Sigh. I am not usually a PC gamer, but am a baseball nerd and kept seeing stuff about OOTP pop up in places like Fangraphs and the like, so decided to give it a shot this year.

Was getting pretty damn infuriating every time I tried to close the game, and getting a message that it couldn't write to disk or save for some reason. Had no idea what the problem was, but finally stumbled upon the solution. For awhile I just didn't shut my computer down so I didn't lose everything.

I also use the computer for work, so my guy had set it up that way to more secure I suppose. Anyway, now that I know, it's simple, but I gotta tell you, when something that should be as simple as clicking save doesn't work, I almost threw my Surface through the wall a few times.
lol, yeah, you can keep it UAC high or whatever, and do it per program with the "run as administrator."

just in case you are doing it by hand each time, you can do it per shortcut or right click -> properties on the .exe files itself... click "Advanced" on main properties pop-up window - can see in background
Attached Images
Old 06-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye22 View Post
I thought it was pretty much a useless function for anything but helping me fill out my Dominican League roster, until.........

Attachment 510784

If he develops properly that's a bona fide All-Star leadoff hitter who will either be a good CF or a GREAT corner OF for years to come. And I didn't have to do a single thing to sign him.
that's a guy who can get to 4k hits...

if eye was lower, it would only take health for sure.. likely with the extra bb/year and health, too.

the best player i've ever seen was a discovery. was a SS with roughly full scale contact, over-scale power and great defense, too.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-21-2017 at 03:18 PM.